Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 22nd April 2008, 16:35   #561  |  Link
nvubert

Hello Omion

your x264farm is what i needed for some long time for my HD encodes. I'm using it about 5 months and it's really a piece of good job.
Here's my setup:
Controller:Q6600@4.0GHz (wc) 4GBDDR2-1066 2xRaptor36GB raid0 and 2xF1 320GB raid0, selfmodded XPSP2
Agents:my HTPC with E6600@3.2GHz 2GB-DDR2-800, E4300@3.2FGHz 2GB-DDR2-800 and 3xA64 X2@2.66GHz 2GBDDR2-800 ( network 1Gbps )

My question is:
Is possible to configure controller that only second pass will be processed over the agents and first pass only on my local Q6600? ( i see that v1.15 have recognize local and auto configure with agent encoding that not use av2yuv.exe )
The reason is that on 720p encodes at first pass with no avs filters speed is very slow 8-30fps, the same source on megui on local only i have 20-50fps ( depending on source )
Maybe is some trick that allow encode only 2pass on x264farm with first pass encoded on standalone x264.exe
Thanks for help

Last edited by nvubert; 22nd April 2008 at 16:38.
nvubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 16:51   #562  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvubert View Post
The reason is that on 720p encodes at first pass with no avs filters speed is very slow 8-30fps, the same source on megui on local only i have 20-50fps ( depending on source )
you are doing controller-based or agent-based encodings?
Quote:
Maybe is some trick that allow encode only 2pass on x264farm with first pass encoded on standalone x264.exe
there is a trick.
you make first-pass on standalone, then start x264farm.. and after it starts doing first pass.... quit it (terminate). then locate folder (i.e. "193949954353 your.avs") in controller's temp folder, then (i guess.. i haven't done it myself) delete dir (in the dir metioned before) named like "1-34534...." and replace(or create...) file "1-BC95ECB7B64E98DEB......txt" with your .stats file form first-pass standalone encode...

but, doing agent-based is alot faster(on my side here)

"I like to build planes.... in the air" (c) some ADV.

tutorials
How to Setup agent-based encoding with x264farm (the easy way)
SpAwN_gUy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 17:11   #563  |  Link
nvubert

I do controller based encoding because i can't configure every machine for share network,avs filters,etc. However since v1.15 agent on my controller self-configure for agent based encoding ( detecting avs file and says agent encoding - there's no avs2yuv.exe in taskmanager for it ) and other computers doing controller-based.

This "trick" I already knew, but i need some automate this ( if this is only solution )
It is very complicate to do this "hack" on every encode
Old 23rd April 2008, 08:12   #564  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

Quote:
I do controller based encoding because i can't configure every machine for share network,avs filters,etc.
i can... teach you how to setup agent-based... (well, there is a tutorial for mpeg2 encoding in my signature)... and i can explain everything... 'cause now i do AVC reEncodings agent-based...

tutorials
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:40   #565  |  Link
nvubert

There's no need to teach things i already know

Problem is that some computers can't host avs filters ( sometimes i use lots of them and scripts are heavy ) because they are HTPC's for TV 24/7 and others media in houses my neighbors, but anyway thanks for good intention
Old 27th April 2008, 19:39   #566  |  Link
[P]ako
A geek wannabe

Omion, would it be possible to have a new build of x264farm that includes the AQ patch (already in cvs) and the experimental film grain optimization patch?

FGO patch: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...ighlight=patch
[P]ako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:31   #567  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by [P]ako View Post
Omion, would it be possible to have a new build of x264farm that includes the AQ patch (already in cvs) and the experimental film grain optimization patch?

FGO patch: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...ighlight=patch
there is no reason to reCompile x264farm... just replace x264.exe itself.

if you wish.. i've made r839 MSVC2005 build of x264... (but without patches)... and i'm struggling with git-apply ('cause it would be much more simplyer.. then to applay them by hands..(as i did before..))

tutorials

Last edited by SpAwN_gUy; 2nd May 2008 at 13:36.
Old 2nd May 2008, 15:41   #568  |  Link
[P]ako
A geek wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAwN_gUy View Post
there is no reason to reCompile x264farm... just replace x264.exe itself.
Did I miss something? If I remember correctly Omion said that x264farm works only with his MSVS build of x264.
Old 2nd May 2008, 20:27   #569  |  Link
Dustin013

I have been playing around with x264 and I am loving the codec. I have found a nice setup to encode all my Divx backups to work on my PC and IPhone which is amazing. However, I am using dual Intel 3.2ghz Dual Core Xeon processors and I can still only encode around a 3:1 ratio (about 1/3 the play time length to encode a file) when encoding AVI into a x264 format in a MP4 wrapper.

x264Farm seems like the perfect solution to speed this whole process up. However, I am converting AVIs encoded in Xvid mainly and some Divx and it would seem x264farm doesn't support AVI encoding?

Is it possible to modify x264farm to allow encoding of AVI files and possibly setup a way to batch encode?

I currently have access to some servers at work I was given permission to test on. I have 11 servers I can use to try this out. The controller server is a mammoth with 16GB ram and top of the line dual core processors. Then I have 10 dell 1U units that have 2GB ram in them each and dual 2.8ghz DC Xeon processors. If I could get the big server to work as the controller and the other 10 as agents I think I could encode my entire 3TB collection of backups into Mp4 format fairly quickly.

Any suggestions?
Dustin013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 20:21   #570  |  Link
driftr

Dustin013: you can convert any file to x264. I've done mpeg2, avi (xvid, divx, wmv), etc etc. with x264rfarm. x264farm is just a program that utilizes the x264 codec so there's virtually no difference other than the supported build of the codec.

You just have to feed x264farm an AVS script. If you haven't used avisynth that's what you need to read up on and there are many guides at doom9 to help with that.

And one thing to keep in mind for the controller/agent computers is you'll have to install avisynth and any codecs on the computers. So you might want to be sure the powers that be are aware the process isn't a light weight application (thou it shouldn't interfere with any usual processes).

Last edited by driftr; 4th May 2008 at 20:24.
driftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 08:27   #571  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by [P]ako View Post
Did I miss something? If I remember correctly Omion said that x264farm works only with his MSVS build of x264.
one page back there is rev819..
i have unpatched 839... (i can post, and upgrade to current rev.)
i have linux and will try to use it for patching sources.. 'cause my conditions do not allow me to set up git properly..

tutorials
Old 7th May 2008, 16:05   #572  |  Link
[P]ako
A geek wannabe

I see. When I have time, I will try with Shikari's build of x264 with the FGO patch.
Old 25th May 2008, 21:36   #573  |  Link
Humbula

elo,

can you tell me how you calculate the bitrate needed for a part of the second pass? is it possible to calculate is from the passfile?
Humbula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 02:47   #574  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Use a bitrate calculator. Just punch it into google, use MeGUI, or any other variety of programs. Again, if you google it, you'll find hundreds. And this is probably the wrong thread.
Old 26th May 2008, 05:22   #575  |  Link
Humbula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin7777 View Post
Use a bitrate calculator. Just punch it into google, use MeGUI, or any other variety of programs. Again, if you google it, you'll find hundreds. And this is probably the wrong thread.
No, you didn't understand my posting. Let me try again: x264 farm "cuts" the movie into parts, which will be encoded by the next machine, requesting a job. Lets say one of this parts has about 250 frames.
How does x264 farm calculate the bitrate (needed) for this part?
Old 26th May 2008, 05:54   #576  |  Link
Adub

The bitrate shouldn't change. When you specify a bitrate in the commandline, you are saying to the encoder "aim for this". It doesn't matter if you split up the file or not, the bitrate will stay the same, as you want uniform quality throughout your encode.
Old 26th May 2008, 06:15   #577  |  Link
Humbula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin7777 View Post
The bitrate shouldn't change. When you specify a bitrate in the commandline, you are saying to the encoder "aim for this". It doesn't matter if you split up the file or not, the bitrate will stay the same, as you want uniform quality throughout your encode.
x264 farm's aim in NOT to keep the bitrate for every part the same.

"The ratecontrol used is designed to be as close to the ratecontrol done by x264 itself"

I want to know how this ratecontrol works...
Old 26th May 2008, 20:35   #578  |  Link
Adub

Oh, okay. I am sorry, I didn't fully comprehend what you are asking. And frankly, I don't know the answer. Probably the only way to find out is to look at the source or talk to Omion.
Old 26th May 2008, 21:32   #579  |  Link
Humbula

to be honest i dont understand the code. strange language...

omion, help me...
Old 27th May 2008, 00:17   #580  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

x264farm just processes the first pass stats files to come up with each segment's relative sizes.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote