Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th March 2016, 23:10   #36961  |  Link
j1731630

Hi. Im using madVR with DaumPotPlayer, and there is some problem.
I cant export current frame when using this renderer, there is no file, even if player says that the frame was exported to location.
Maybe there is build-in madVR frame exporting functional ?
j1731630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 23:14   #36962  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhara View Post
Warner306, these are not in your preferred setting in your guide

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188
I don't think that matters. The examples presented are just for demonstration for someone who uses a GTS 450. You don't need to take my advice on what the best settings are. This would vary widely depending on the GPU you own.

Last edited by Warner306; 19th March 2016 at 23:28.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 23:27   #36963  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgh View Post
sorry, forgot : Raedon HD 6570

screenshot enclosed;
what would be also nice, is to have in the LAV Audio Decoder settings an option to convert in real time aac to ac3 (i know that's the wrong thread)...
MPC-BE internal codec allows for this; I have everything in aac...but my AV-Receiver is not able to process aac, so I convert it on the fly to ac3;
therefore I use LAV splitter, LAV Video Decoder and internal MPC-BE Audio Decoder (the screenshot is done with this setup);

to preempt questions to this mixed setup : also when I was using also the LAV Audio Decoder, the jerking was the same....so, it is not caused by the Decoder-mix
if I don't do this, I get Audio as 5Ch-Stereo...

Thanks
You shouldn't use attachments in this forum because they have to be approved.

Are you sure your settings aren't going over the rendering queue? Are all of the queues full including the present queue? Are you getting presentation glitches or dropped frames?

Did you install the 3D software decoder with LAV Filters? It is an optional checkbox.

Last edited by Warner306; 19th March 2016 at 23:29.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 01:44   #36964  |  Link
arrgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
You shouldn't use attachments in this forum because they have to be approved.

Are you sure your settings aren't going over the rendering queue? Are all of the queues full including the present queue? Are you getting presentation glitches or dropped frames?
ok, here a link to the 2D-content screen shot;

and here to a 3D-mvc photographed trough shutter goggles... the Problem seem to be droped frames...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Did you install the 3D software decoder with LAV Filters? It is an optional checkbox.
frankly, I have not thought about this... I installed Shark007 MPC-BEx64 with madVR and his Advanced Codecs... expected every thing being onboard. So, no, I did not do anything beyond installing the Shark007 codecs... but the picture is 3D with the same apearence as if played by PowerDVD...
arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 02:00   #36965  |  Link
huhn

Quote:

and here to a 3D-mvc photographed trough shutter goggles... the Problem seem to be droped frames...
looks like your CPU can't decode the video fast enough. hardware decoding is not supported with 3D in lavfilter.

so i don't see a way you can make this work.
AFAIK hardware 3D decoding isn't planned anytime soon.
so you kind of need new hardware to make that work.
i'm pretty sure powerDVD supports 3D decoding using DXVA2.

and think about an image host for images not a file host.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 02:25   #36966  |  Link
arrgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
looks like your CPU can't decode the video fast enough. hardware decoding is not supported with 3D in lavfilter.
i'm pretty sure powerDVD supports 3D decoding using DXVA2.
...as does obviously also StereoscopicPlayer...
Old 20th March 2016, 06:36   #36967  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
that's simply a not properly working 23/24p mode.
It's true that some TV's are better than others at masking the problems with 24 fps but still.. Smooth Motion is still smoother and significantly so for some.

Quote:
i mean Panasonic was able to create a 120 hz TV with 3:2 judder at 23/24p with my CX700.
The CX700 is an amazing TV for the price, I sell them at work. Incredibly natural colors and backlight, and incredibly smooth.
I always recommend them to anyone interested in a good quality 4K TV without spending too much.

Quote:
but some people use 60 hz without smoothmotion for some reasons...
It's a no brainer AFAIC but to each their own.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 12:08   #36968  |  Link
arrgh

Quote:
... hardware decoding is not supported with 3D in lavfilter.

AFAIK hardware 3D decoding isn't planned anytime soon.
so you kind of need new hardware to make that work.
the Hardware is a dedicated HTPC. I do nothing else with it.
It is of course not the top-notch setup but it is still able to

- record 2 Pay-TV HD-Satelite channels while playing back a 3rd HD recording
- playback Internet Radio
- playback my music collection
- present my photos
- playback Bluray/DVD

the only missing item is the playback of 3D Content, which is also not a Hardware Problem, but a software deficit...

I know, I can't really complain. Everything is done here "for free". And I'm really thankful for this.
I just hoped that 3d-hardware decoding would be kind of a priority...

Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 13:41   #36969  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
It's true that some TV's are better than others at masking the problems with 24 fps but still.. Smooth Motion is still smoother and significantly so for some.
even a cheap Phillips can easily perfect 23p and smoothmotion is not going to win versus this.

let me say it in another way.

if you play a 24p source at a 120 hz screen with perfect timing smoothmotion wouldn't do anything on that screen it would never ever blend a frame and this is kind of what an modern TV does.
do you really think a 24hz signal at 60 with smooth motion can be better?
Old 20th March 2016, 17:46   #36970  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
the Hardware is a dedicated HTPC. I do nothing else with it.
It is of course not the top-notch setup but it is still able to

- record 2 Pay-TV HD-Satelite channels while playing back a 3rd HD recording
- playback Internet Radio
- playback my music collection
- present my photos
- playback Bluray/DVD

the only missing item is the playback of 3D Content, which is also not a Hardware Problem, but a software deficit...

I know, I can't really complain. Everything is done here "for free". And I'm really thankful for this.

Thanks
the issue is more like how many people want to use 3D and don't have at least a CPU like a i3 sandy or something like that?

that number is very very low.
Old 20th March 2016, 20:19   #36971  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
I'm not sure if I understand correctly but why would I want to watch a 3:2 pulldown movie of 23.976/24 fps at 60 Hz instead?
Ideally you would want to watch a 24p movie at 24Hz. If your TV can't do that (either properly or at all), or if it flickers and that bothers you too much, then the only other options would be using smooth motion FRC, or watching with 3:2 pulldown. The 3:2 pulldown handling in madVR is not optimal atm, but only few people want to use that, I believe, so it's not high priority for me atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileile View Post
Sometimes stereo 3d playback is not smooth, and the "dropped frames" or "presentation glitches" keep increasing.
Have you tried the "use alternative glitch handling mode" in the madVR settings? I'm planning to make this the default mode in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileile View Post
another problem is that: if I connect two displays and play something using mpc-hc, when I drag the mpc-hc from one display to another, the system often crash. Not BSOD, but something like black screen, system can not respond(ctrl+alt+del usually can't work too, but I can move mouse pointer for a period). this problem may occur with only one display, when switching between window mode and exclusive mode. My GPU is AMD R7 200.
Sounds like a GPU driver or OS issue. Windows 10 itself and Windows 10 GPU drivers are not very stable yet. The best OS for media playback is still Windows 8.1 at this point, unfortunately.

Of course there could be a bug in madVR. But Ctrl+Alt+Del not responding sounds like a deeper issue than what madVR should be able to produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
madshi can you please add a ST.2084 EOTF transfer function under calibration tab?
I will, once the GPU manufacturers allow me to send HDR metadata to the display. As of right now, without the possibility to send metadata, using an EOTF transfer function has no real use, other than for testing/debugging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxracer View Post
I have 2 displays. If I set the viewing display to secondary I get dropped frames and glitches. If I'm doing nothing on the PC it drops a frame and produces a glitch every 7 seconds on the dot. I timed it.. bizarre. If I start using the pc on the primary monitor the video drops frames and glitches rapidly.
Which OS are you using? Are you using windowed mode or fullscreen exclusive mode? Please show a screenshot of the OSD (Ctrl+J) while those drops/glitches occur. In FSE mode taking a screenshot won't work, in that case you can make a photo with your phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrue View Post
I am using last development versions of MPC-HC and LAVFilters.
I updated yesterday from madVR 0.9010 to 0.9015. When I try to play videos I get sound but not image, not in window mode, neither in fullscreen (curiously, with the last version of PotPlayer+MadVR I have image in fullscreen mode but not in window mode). This happens with vids at 1080p and codec H264. It doesn't happen with vids at 480p and codec H264.
The problem appears with version 0.9011. I have returned to madVR 0.9010 and the problem has disappeared.
Can you please try to reset the madVR settings to default? Does the problem still occur? Which OS and GPU are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrue View Post
Image doubling: double luma (64 neurons) and double chroma (32 neurons), always if upscaling is needed.
But with version madvr 0.9010 I don't have problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
madshi, has the logic behind when doubling occurs changed? I can no longer use NNEDI3 to double the luma y when I play back 1280x720 ==> 1024x768. I was really happy with the results when I was able to do this
"always if upscaling is needed" was changed to "always - 2x supersampling". I'm considering allowing both options in the next build to avoid the problem the two of you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhara View Post
When doing 1080p to 2160p upscale with MadVr, I get some video judders (every 15/20 sec) on my UHD TV (2160p/60Hz & HDCP 2.2).
The video input signal on my TV is well seen as 2160p.
I tested several video rates: 23.976Hz, 24 Hz, ... Same issue.

No dropped/delayed/... frame on MadVr. My GC is a Nvidia 970 GTX.

How come ?

When playing back a 2160p video directly on the TV (with an usb key for example), no problem.
Can you please show a screenshot of the OSD (Ctrl+J) when these judders occur? If you're using fullscreen exclusive mode, you may have to use your phone to make a photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
My only issue is that I get a crash of MPC-BE almost everytime the first time I launch a movie. Second time works fine. It appeared relatively recently but I haven't been able to trace which version of MadVR or MPC-BE introduced this.

It could be a Crimson issue (but not 16.32 specific, I had it earlier), I still have to try to revert to 14.12 to see if it goes away, but as it means I'd lose 3D support with LAV/MadVR, which I really like, I'd rather try to find a solution. There is no error message or crash dump, so debugging isn't easy.
How does the crash look like, if you get no error message? Does the media player silently exit? Or what happens?

Quote:
madshi, I don't know what algorithm you used to remap the HDR content to SDR but according to the ST.2084 standard everything under 100nit should be exactly the same as in the SDR.
Do you think it is the right time to discuss light output, gamma curves remapping, color space remapping, etc?
Quote:
Well, I am sure too, but It does not look like the content below 100nit keeps the same light output level, it changes with the "HDR Peak Luminance" setting in madVR.
I don't doubt madshi's decisions about the remapping algorithm for a second, that is why I asked if it is the right time to talk about the whole HDR to SDR remapping issue so that madshi will be open to suggestions.
The algorithms in madVR are not final yet. I'm waiting for the latest SMPTE spec for dynamic metadata, and for Dolby's new colorspace for improved color processing to be released. At that point I'm going to go back and improve the algorithms further. For now they should be fairly good, but probably not perfect yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenderGuy2 View Post
Thanks, using XySubFilter worked. For some reason MPC-HC's (1.7.10.101 x64) internal subtitle renderer doesn't render with depth on my system.
If you still have this problem with the latest nightly MPC-HC then please report it to the MPC-HC devs.

Quote:
Is having an anti-aliasing filter in future a good idea?
Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
I had to increase my CPU and GPU queue depths from 4 (my old setting, the minimum allowed) to 8 and activate the "alternative glitch handling" in order to get smooth 3D playback (otherwise, it stuttered like hell with my i5-2500K + 290X + Win10 system).
But now, it works unsurprisingly well (MPC-HC + madVR changed to 3D a lot faster and smoother than PowerDVD [which ends up in 3D with a 50-50 chance after vibrating the screen for several seconds]).
Thank you for this! (Even if 3D is going out of the TV business, I didn't care to watch any 3D content since late 2012, so I have some movies to attend to for this special occasion ).
Separate 3DLUTs would be welcomed though (2D/3D) because my plasma TV behaves extremely differently in 3D mode (but considering how scarce the 3D materials are, it's not that painful to change this manually).
Glad to hear that! You can use profiles to apply different 3dluts for 2D/3D.

Quote:
Regarding max line thinning, since all upscaling refinement options max at 4 I assume you'll just change the degree of strength per point rather than changing the max value like I suggested.
I think you could increase it per point by 25-50%, users would need to update their settings.. but it keeps it all in line then.
Nah, I'll work on improving the line thinning algorithm in the future, anyway, which will change everything again, so I don't mind simply increasing the max value to more than 4 for now.

Quote:
From what I see now with the current algorithm even the darkest parts like night sky form Life of Pi HDR demo changes.
The night sky in this demo only look black as they should when I select 1,300 nits for my display which matches the mastering display from the metadata.
One thing you may not have not considered: Even if you want 50 nits to stay 50 nits, the absolute madVR pixel output values still must change depending on the peak luminance capability of your display. Because if I output e.g. RGB value (50, 50, 50), a bright display will show this with more nits than a dark display. So the madVR RGB output value needs to change with the peak luminance value you've selected in the madVR settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijunglist View Post
Q: In Jan madshi posted that Win8.1 was preferential to Win10. Is this still the case?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijunglist View Post
Q: Should I install Win8.1 or Win10, and should I go with 32 or 64 bit? Or am I better sticking with my current setup and PowerDVD for 3d playback for now, as there are still issues to be sorted?
For some users win10 works just fine, others have problems. I can't really tell you what to do. Probably at some point win10 will become as stable as win8.1 is right now for media playback, but currently it's not. You have to make up your own mind.

I'd go with x64, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
I'm using 100 hz laptop monitor and Potplayer + madvr . how come I had Display 100.00000Hz steady. it didn't move at all. I don't know what affected it or what did it, but now it always moves between 100.00392-410. anyone has idea what could affect it and how to make it stuck on 100.00000Hz steady ?
There are 2 different modes in madVR, depending on whether your GPU provides proper VSync information or not. If it does, madVR tries to measure the exact refresh rate. If it doesn't, madVR simply reports the nominal refresh rate reported by the OS. So your 100.00392-410 comes from madVR doing a measurement. And the steady 100.00000Hz comes from your GPU not providing proper VSync scanline information. It's better if madVR gets proper VSync information.

Quote:
Fellows, I want to start a movie with these parameters:
levels=tripleExp
blacklevel=+26
whitelevel=+50
gamma=2.6

then switch back to default and compare between the two, can it be done?

Putting a text file named: "levels=tripleExp, blacklevel=+26, whitelevel=+50, gamma=2.6.txt" doesn't work
Changing the folder name to this does but gamma value does not change (no gamma tag?).
I need a quick one button switch for this test.

EDIT:
Okay, Profiles with a key shortcut works to change the Gamma, but what about the other commands?
What do you need this for? I'm not going to spend development time just to make one user's tests easier, when I could in the same time develop a new feature which would benefit a large number of users!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I requested gamma tags a long time ago, but madshi seemed opposed to the idea for some reason.
You can use the "brightness" tag which internally changes the gamma value.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 20:22   #36972  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
madshi, executing tags from a profile will be very useful indeed.
Changing many setting with a click of a button, very useful for comparison.
That's not what the command line was intended to do at all. I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I compared madVR's current super-xbr implementation with Shiandow's latest for MPDN.

When watched very closely or with some magnification, madVR shows less aliasing.
But I guess this is due to the tweaked parameters by Hilian, and not because of his improved anti-ringing filter. I think there's not such a case where the anti-ringing filter would remove actual details in a crucial way.
I'd really like to see how the improved deband filter behaves without the other tweaked parameters. Then we'd know for sure.
The next madVR builds will use Hyllian's new AR filter on top of my own, for maximized AR effect. Seems to work quite nicely. Hyllian's old AR filter produced artifacts in certain situations. The new one doesn't seem to suffer from that problem, so now I can use it... My own further improves it, so I'm going to use both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight2 View Post
hI, with use only madvr is the best gtx 690 (with 2 GPU) or GTX 970? Madvr use dual GPU in gtx 690?
madVR doesn't support 2 GPUs. Better use the 960 or 970. The 960 is the only one supporting HEVC hardware decoding. The 970 does not. Or if you can wait, wait for the new GPU generation (Pascal/Polaris). It should be well worth the wait, IMHO.

Quote:
Madshi, would you create a modified edge thinning that only works on lines? Would be useful to have both enabled for animated content as I find edge thinning touching some background elements I'd not want thinned as much.
Sure, maybe you can ask God to increase my daily hours from 24 to 48?

Quote:
There's also a simple Avisynth filter called coloryuv http://avisynth.org.ru/docs/english/...s/coloryuv.htm that changes color and luminance that would be a useful addition within madVR also.
madVR already contains all sorts of similar stuff, see brightness/contrast changes etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
FYI latest MPC-HC nightly build have included latest LAV Filters as well as 3D subtitle support for ISR.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
where is the best place to set contrasts/brightness, in the card, madvr or on the projector?
That's a very complex question with no simple answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechris View Post
I have black screens also but only when i upscale 3d mkv to 4k top bottom. I rolled back to 90.12 and im ok now
Do you have them always, or only sometimes? Always right from the start of the movie? Or does it start after some minutes of playback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I've been having occasional black screens for quite some time (going back through many versions of madVR). This is usually when I start to play, although I've had 2 in the past during playback. I can't say for sure that it is madVR, however. I'm using ZP, LAV, xySub, NO Reclock. I am using NNEDI3 for chroma, I may try to change that and see what happens.
When this happens right at playback start it's probably something completely different than when it happens after some minutes of playback. Would be helpful if you could figure out some circumstances when this occurs and when not. Right now with the limited information I have there's nothing I can do. Can't even dare a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
Same here black screens in FSE from time to time
More information needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
i having some micro stuttering when playng 23,976 content
i have i optimus system but nvidia 930m only render the video because the hdmi output from intel hd 5500
the display refresh is 23.97570, its possible to be this 00.00030 diference that causing the stuttering?
the best mode for me is fse d3d9, but i really don ´t know, d3d11 with present a frame for every v sync changes my display behavior anda the refresh rate goes down a little
i tried wasapi from reclock and the exclusive mode from mpc-hc internal audio
reclock seens to be better but i still geting some stutering
its possible to be a v sync issue?
should i disable v sync on nvidia cp? because on intel cp don´t have a option to disable v sync, only app controled and driver controled..
it´s possible that the two drivers are perfoming v sync separately? like v sync are performanced two times one time for each driver?
on nvidia cp should i put single display perfomance, multi display perfomance or compability mode?
someone could help-me? i really don ´t know what do to solve this... i tried everything, even smooth motion on 60 hz 72 hz 75 hz can´t solve this
I've never seen an Optimus system myself, but it seems to be troublesome. What does the OSD (Ctrl+J) show when this micro stuttering occurs? Are there are frame drops or glitches reported? Does that micro stuttering occur all the time, or just once in a while? Is it one stutter every couple of seconds? Or a little stuttering "every frame"? Reclock sometimes helps, but sometimes also causes such issues. I'd try without for now, to make sure it doesn't introduce more problems than it solves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xul View Post
I have this identical issue as well which didn't happen with previous installed version (0.90.3 I think it was)

gtx970 w10 x64 w/ latest nvidia whql drivers
Instead of saying you have the same problem, can you please describe your own problem in detail? And if it depends on the madVR version, could you please try to find out which exact madVR version introduced the problem for you? You can find all old madVR builds for download here:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/ma...sions#download

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
So madVR doesn't have profiles as far as I know.
Huh? But it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damie View Post
I have a source video with P010 (YUV 4:2:0 10bit) 16-235 HEVC 5.1 4K 59.94fps and I'm using a GTX 960 & Sony X850C 4K TV.
Sony reports the panel has "10bit driving of an 8bit panel (8bit + Hi FRC)" and at least it passed the test @ http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172128.

I can either select Ycbcr420 with 12bit color or Ycbcr422 with 10&12bit color in the Nvidia control panel @ 59/60Hz. (Ycbcr444 & RGB modes at over 30Hz@4K have 8bit color only.)

Therefore, should I use 4:2:0 12bit or 4:2:2 10bit when I watch the video in the FSE mode?
Nobody really knows what your TV will do in any of these modes. So your best option is to try every possible combination with test patterns and see which looks best to your eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damie View Post
Also, should I tick "disable GPU gamma ramps" @ Devices - Calibration and disable dithering @ Rendering - Dithering?
The GPU gamma ramps option doesn't matter, unless you have an active calibration loaded in the OS. Have you?

You should never disable dithering in madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
@madshi: There are some video files that I have are encoded with incorrect aspect ratio. Could you please offer the file tag option for custom aspect ratio or maybe stretch factor? It will be really useful as a lot of DVDs in India have stretched video.
MKV offers an option to overwrite the video aspect ratio. Have you tried that? I'm not sure if the splitter, or madVR accept that overwrite, though. If it works, you wouldn't have to reencode, you'd just have to edit the MKV header with mkvtoolnix. Which is btw a much cleaner solution than using file name tags, because it should work in every player which properly supports MKV. And it would save me development time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildsun View Post
I was wondering about this as well. If my goal is to have two profiles ("anime" and "liveaction" for example) with a single keyboard shortcut to switch between them, is this possible?
What happens if you have multiple profiles groups with the same keyboard shortcuts, but with different profile names, maybe even a different number of profiles in each group? Using one keyboard shortcut for all would produce quite confusing results then!

Anyway, that would be your problem, I guess, and not mine. So I'll check if I can easily make it possible to have one keyboard press work for multiple profile groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
I have a film club and before the main feature we play a number of shorts which are mixed content, 25, 50, 60, 24 but it takes my new JVC RS600 up to 17 secs to sync when changing. It obvious what happens, every new clip/short has video cut, audio fine, but the beginning of every short is just a black screen for up to 17 secs.... Shocking! So we cant screen that way...
FWIW, you could setup profiles in madVR which depend on the movie runtime. You could enable refresh rate switching to the proper refresh rate for all video files longer than e.g. 30 minutes, while forcing 60Hz for all shorter clips. This way the projector would switch to the best refresh rate for actual movie playback, but stay at 60Hz for all the shorts. Best of both worlds...

Quote:

Not that it matters much (probably). But why are you using such low decoder/CPU queue? I'd recommend a *much* higher queue.

Quote:

That's out of topic here. This is the madVR thread. Decoding is done by LAV, which has its own dedicated thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1731630 View Post
Hi. Im using madVR with DaumPotPlayer, and there is some problem.
I cant export current frame when using this renderer, there is no file, even if player says that the frame was exported to location.
Maybe there is build-in madVR frame exporting functional ?
Seems to work for me. Maybe it depends on madVR and/or PotPlayer settings? Try madVR default settings, as a test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedpul View Post
Hi baii, thanks for your idea, it seemed to work. Last night I reset madvr to default settings and set everything like I had before but the queues which I left at default and I saw an entire movie without a problem.
I'm glad to hear the problem seems to be solved. It would still be interesting to know why it occurred, though. Can you pinpoint the exact madVR build which introduced the problem?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 20:55   #36973  |  Link
chros

Quote:
even a cheap Phillips can easily perfect 23p and smoothmotion is not going to win versus this.

if you play a 24p source at a 120 hz screen with perfect timing smoothmotion wouldn't do anything on that screen it would never ever blend a frame and this is kind of what an modern TV does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ideally you would want to watch a 24p movie at 24Hz. If your TV can't do that (either properly or at all), or if it flickers and that bothers you too much, then the only other options would be using smooth motion FRC, or watching with 3:2 pulldown. The 3:2 pulldown handling in madVR is not optimal atm, but only few people want to use that, I believe, so it's not high priority for me atm.
Indeed. I just tried out 1 more time: SmoothMotion and 3:2 pulldown (compared to the close but not perfect refresh rate changes). I can't get so fluid motion with them at all, and the timings are way off: 24.000xx , 30.000xxx , 50.000xx , 60.000xx Hz (since I can't create custom refresh rates with intel driver).
So for me the refresh rate changer is Gold inside madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
i having some micro stuttering when playng 23,976 content
i have i optimus system but nvidia 930m only render the video because the hdmi output from intel hd 5500
the display refresh is 23.97570, its possible to be this 00.00030 diference that causing the stuttering?
Can be the cause, at least it's working the same for me (although the 23p timing is worse than yours: 23.972xx Hz): lot of visible judder during playback. The solution is: always use the closest higher refresh rate. In this case use 24p (24.000xx Hz for me) instead of 23p, and you will see a beautifully fluid playback with couple of repeated frames.

Edit: just checked again. OSD reports 1 frame drop in every 4.03 minutes (compared to the repeated frames in every 41 seconds when I'm using 24p, which is working properly), but these micro stutters happen in every 5 seconds (for around). Queues are good, no dropped/repeated frames in the stat. Is it a bug?

Edit2: these micro stutters are happening (when the refresh rate of the display is lower than the fps of the video) in every fullscreen mode: D3D9 FSE/FS-windowed old/new path, D3D9 FS overlay (using only the intel GPU), D3D11 FSE with/without the 'present a frame for every vsync'/'use alternative glitch handling mode'.
And it was working for me like this in the last 3 years at least.

Last edited by chros; 20th March 2016 at 21:27.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 22:42   #36974  |  Link
alf6

Rendering problem

I cant seem to enable Direct 3d 11 for presentation. Checked all the relevant boxes, but Ctrl-j still gives me D3D9.

Anyone had the same problem? Im on a ASUS g750JZ, with a GTX 880m/ Intel HD 4600 combo. My DX version is 11.

Any help appreciated
alf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 22:49   #36975  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
It could be smoother but only if frame creation is not enabled "better" is user decision. If frame creation is enabled on the TV then it's a clear win for the TV for smoothness, but honestly I still prefer movies use smooth motion because even on normal setting frame creation doesn't look natural. With anime it's a different story it suits high frame rate better.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 23:30   #36976  |  Link
arrgh

Quote:
the issue is more like how many people want to use 3D and don't have at least a CPU like a i3 sandy or something like that?
maybe, but on the other hand : everythig the Hardware is doing allows for some additional Special Gimmicks madVR is performing...
Old 20th March 2016, 23:52   #36977  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
How does the crash look like, if you get no error message? Does the media player silently exit? Or what happens?
When I first launch the playback of a movie (usually BD Folders), MPC-BE is launched by MyMovies and stops with a window saying "MPC-BE has stopped working", over the black screen which is, I assume, the full screen of MPC-BE.

After the crash, I return to MyMovies and if I launch the exact same movie, it plays absolutely fine.

Every other movie afterwards usually plays fine too.

I've noticed recently that it takes longer for the movie to start with MPC-BE/LAV/MadVR, it used to be almost instant and now it can take up to 5-6 seconds.

Apart from that, all works.

Usually, I get this MPC-BE crash after a reboot, with the first file I try to play (it doesn't matter which one). Then I usually have no problems.

This is on a recent fresh install of Windows 8.1 with only my HTPC essentials installed.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 00:10   #36978  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
maybe, but on the other hand : everythig the Hardware is doing allows for some additional Special Gimmicks madVR is performing...
madVR doesn't really uses the CPU.
and using DXVA can take some GPU performance. so it is the other way around.

if you want DXVA 3D decoding this is the thread you are searching for: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191
Old 21st March 2016, 00:20   #36979  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
It could be smoother but only if frame creation is not enabled "better" is user decision. If frame creation is enabled on the TV then it's a clear win for the TV for smoothness, but honestly I still prefer movies use smooth motion because even on normal setting frame creation doesn't look natural. With anime it's a different story it suits high frame rate better.
i'm a purist like you would say so interpolation is off of cause and yes this would be a very bad comparison.

and i totally disagree about anime and interpolation. for a simple reason.

anime is using cadence way lower than 24 fps.

so there are repeated frames in there and an interpolation algorithm can't interpolate with them.

so you get interpolation between different frames and nothing between the repeated ones. which is just a mess.

there is a reason that SVP should be setup in a way that it only interpolates pannings not moving character.

then we have the problem that a character is usually not 24 fps even on an pan creating the same issue/similar issue.

totally different story with CGI animations but i won't use interpolation what so ever.

but this is leaving the scope of madVR because this has nothing to do with SM anymore.
Old 21st March 2016, 00:59   #36980  |  Link
xabregas

can anyone enlighten me about the option "refine the image after every ~2x upscaling step"?

Im using lumasharpening default and i want to know if that option disable the sharpening on some videos or not.

I mostly watch 720p videos on fullhd screen but some of my 720p videos are ~1280x536. Not exactly 2x upscale i suppose. Will that option disable sharpening on those videos?
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling