Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 25th March 2010, 21:30   #1721  |  Link
86sixsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
He means both. Bitstreaming into the decoder.
I don't think my audigy's or x-fi's are PAP... but 8channel truehd 24b48khz comes out of ffdshow the way it went in here. no 16bit-ness at all.

The only thing us (me and about 10 of my mates, anyway) geriatric soundcard-ed people are having is 96k stuff gets parsed as 48 and sounds all helium-ish.
86sixsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 22:44   #1722  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86sixsix View Post
I don't think my audigy's or x-fi's are PAP... but 8channel truehd 24b48khz comes out of ffdshow the way it went in here. no 16bit-ness at all.

The only thing us (me and about 10 of my mates, anyway) geriatric soundcard-ed people are having is 96k stuff gets parsed as 48 and sounds all helium-ish.
Right, that's because ffdshow can decode TrueHD to non-downsampled LPCM. If you use ReClock with it, you can probably straighten out the 96 stuff. The issue is that with DTS-HD MA, there's no open decoder for it. So what he's trying to do is pass the unmolested bitstream from ffdshow into the ArcSoft DTS-HD MA decoder in hopes that it'll decode it without downsampling it. It's...a theory.
Old 25th March 2010, 22:46   #1723  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86sixsix View Post

If we are talking about bitperfect streaming (except DTS-HD):
ffdshow > reclock is the recipe.
For more; i think this thread is still contemporary :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15770959
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 01:42   #1724  |  Link
86sixsix

Quote:
Right, that's because ffdshow can decode TrueHD to non-downsampled LPCM. If you use ReClock with it, you can probably straighten out the 96 stuff. The issue is that with DTS-HD MA, there's no open decoder for it. So what he's trying to do is pass the unmolested bitstream from ffdshow into the ArcSoft DTS-HD MA decoder in hopes that it'll decode it without downsampling it. It's...a theory.
got you. explains my (and my bud's) issues 100%. if we could get hd ma out we'd have a 'cyberlink disc frisbee contest' where everyone'd be a winner!

fyi: current behaviour re attempting to decode bitstream... (superb thinking...btw)

audigy and xfi latest drivers on 7_64_rtm... with bitstreaming selected on a 24bit 96khz dtshdma track we all get 8channel 48khz as input and 8 channel 1520 (not 1536?)KB SPDIF as output but the file never plays. just sits at 0:00 - regardless of what ffdshow's connected to (cyberlink won't connect at all and attempting to connect anything in the windows media foundation resulted in the input pin saying only 2 channels) and we don't even get a pop or crackle if we actually connect our digital out's up (obv. not expecting anything sensible to come out of it).

would also just like to add how much everyone's hard work is appreciated here. stunning work.
86sixsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 02:09   #1725  |  Link
SamuriHL

There is another way to go about it but it's outside the realm of discussion for this thread. It has been found that if you have TMT3 and you only have a receiver that does analog, for example, an interesting work around can be applied IF you have a bitstream capable card. You could set TMT3 to use the bitstream capable card (xonar, ati 5xxx, etc) with PCM decoding, and then use ReClock to "redirect" that to your analog card for non-downsampled audio. It's nasty, but, it appears to work at the moment. The same kind of logic is what the OP was thinking when he asked about directing the bitstream from ffdshow into the ArcSoft decoder to see if non-downsampled PCM could be had. It's a neat theory but it's one I don't have time to try myself.
Old 26th March 2010, 13:50   #1726  |  Link
jimwhite

If I wasn't in the middle of short-selling my home and searching for another to rent, I'd be running Graphstudio and playing, but unfortunately I'm stuck with only a NetBook for now

Jim White
Treasure Island, FL
jimwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 02:56   #1727  |  Link
fishlogan

Quote:
There is another way to go about it but it's outside the realm of discussion for this thread. It has been found that if you have TMT3 and you only have a receiver that does analog, for example, an interesting work around can be applied IF you have a bitstream capable card. You could set TMT3 to use the bitstream capable card (xonar, ati 5xxx, etc) with PCM decoding, and then use ReClock to "redirect" that to your analog card for non-downsampled audio. It's nasty, but, it appears to work at the moment. The same kind of logic is what the OP was thinking when he asked about directing the bitstream from ffdshow into the ArcSoft decoder to see if non-downsampled PCM could be had. It's a neat theory but it's one I don't have time to try myself.

hey samuriHL
i assume you have the delux hdav? doing this do you set the xonar panel to the analog output and leave tmt3 to hdmi output but with pcm set?

when i do this is i get no audio through my analog outputs but i do get sound with my hdmi output (i have a denon reciver with hdmi and 7.1 input)

if i set tmt3 to 7.1 i get no audio with truehd and dts hd (all over codecs work fine)

normally i would use the hdmi output but i prefer the sound of the analog
fishlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 02:59   #1728  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlogan View Post
hey samuriHL
i assume you have the delux hdav? doing this do you set the xonar panel to the analog output and leave tmt3 to hdmi output but with pcm set?

when i do this is i get no audio through my analog outputs but i do get sound with my hdmi output (i have a denon reciver with hdmi and 7.1 input)

if i set tmt3 to 7.1 i get no audio with truehd and dts hd (all over codecs work fine)

normally i would use the hdmi output but i prefer the sound of the analog
I don't. I have the regular Xonar HDAV 1.3. And it's sitting here on my desk right next to my laptop. (Doesn't fit. ROFLMAO!) And there's a lot of bugs with TMT3 and analog output I think. So, you may have to wait for a patch.
Old 28th March 2010, 03:43   #1729  |  Link
fishlogan

Quote:
I don't. I have the regular Xonar HDAV 1.3. And it's sitting here on my desk right next to my laptop. (Doesn't fit. ROFLMAO!) And there's a lot of bugs with TMT3 and analog output I think. So, you may have to wait for a patch.
i assume youre using the ati 5xxx card then
analog has had lots of problems, not just with tmt3 but with all other players.
me thinks it might be time for mine to be sitting next to my laptop too

oh and also to all on this forum, great work!
the way its going ill soon not have to worry about tmt3 as well

Last edited by fishlogan; 28th March 2010 at 03:45.
fishlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 11:02   #1730  |  Link
Skinleech
A.K.A Mangoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Iceman View Post
Has anyone managed to get Dolby Digital Plus to bitstream with the xonar?
On my receiver the light goes on and display shows Dolby D+ but I don't hear any sound.

And is there any workaround available to get audio working again (MediaPortal and MPC-HC) after bitstreaming HD formats?

-Chris
No luck with DD+ for me (though granted I've not tried any new builds). Everything I have just freezes on a DD+ track. These are all remuxes to MKV.

I should really try an evo file direct from disk and check for sure.
Skinleech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 15:04   #1731  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlogan View Post
i assume youre using the ati 5xxx card then
analog has had lots of problems, not just with tmt3 but with all other players.
me thinks it might be time for mine to be sitting next to my laptop too

oh and also to all on this forum, great work!
the way its going ill soon not have to worry about tmt3 as well
The only card I use in that machine now is the 5870, yes. It works perfectly for bitstreaming in every player I have (minus the bugs in TMT3 with DD/DTS on DVD, of course). It works in all my games, as well. I see no reason for any other card. One cable out to the receiver....done.
Old 29th March 2010, 01:12   #1732  |  Link
SamuriHL

This may not be the right place to ask, but, I need some help. I've FINALLY gotten back to getting the latest and greatest ffdshow and mpc-hc set up. I want to get ffdshow dxva and subtitle support working, but, I'm not having a lot of luck. Could someone walk me through what needs to be done to get it working? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!
Old 29th March 2010, 14:55   #1733  |  Link
rsd78

Quote:
This may not be the right place to ask, but, I need some help. I've FINALLY gotten back to getting the latest and greatest ffdshow and mpc-hc set up. I want to get ffdshow dxva and subtitle support working, but, I'm not having a lot of luck. Could someone walk me through what needs to be done to get it working? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!
SamuriHL, what was the problem in particular?

Pretty much enable ffdshow dxva, check subtitle support, play with some minor settings and it should work.

Albain added some keyboard hooks so that you can control it via keyboard in any player, but personally I use his Media Control App within Media Center to manage the audio/sub switching.
rsd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 15:02   #1734  |  Link
SamuriHL

Ok, what I did was disable all the internal MPC-HC stuff. I added ffdshow audio and dxva video to the external filters and made them preferred. When I play a VC1/TrueHD Blu-ray in MPC-HC now, it stutters horribly bad and cpu usage is over 40% (which on my machine...that's bad). So there's no way it's using ffdshow dxva. Something is definitely wrong there. I've tried going about it multiple ways. So, the "enable ffdshow dxva" part of that is not as simple and straightforward as it seems.
Old 29th March 2010, 15:07   #1735  |  Link
rsd78

Quote:
Ok, what I did was disable all the internal MPC-HC stuff. I added ffdshow audio and dxva video to the external filters and made them preferred. When I play a VC1/TrueHD Blu-ray in MPC-HC now, it stutters horribly bad and cpu usage is over 40% (which on my machine...that's bad). So there's no way it's using ffdshow dxva. Something is definitely wrong there. I've tried going about it multiple ways. So, the "enable ffdshow dxva" part of that is not as simple and straightforward as it seems.
Ahh ok didn't realize you were doing it in mpc-hc. I use media center myself as my player, so that's why I glossed over the enable ffdshow dxva part . Sorry I won't be much help with mpc-hc then.
Old 29th March 2010, 15:24   #1736  |  Link
SamuriHL

Right, that's what I'm looking for help on cause I can't seem to get it to work correctly. I'm sure I'm missing something but I'm not sure what. Media Center's fine and all but it doesn't know how to parse mpls files like mpc-hc does, so, on a seamless branched blu-ray you'd be screwed.
Old 29th March 2010, 15:41   #1737  |  Link
clsid

Adding ffdshow as a preferred external filter is usually not necessary. Just disabling the internal decoders is enough since ffdshow already has a higher merit than most other external decoders.

To use DXVA in MPC-HC you must select a video renderer that is compatible. On XP that is Overlay or EVR-9. On Vista/7 that is any of the EVR variants.

You can see which filters MPC is using through: Play -> Filters.
Old 29th March 2010, 16:06   #1738  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yea, see, that's what I thought, too, and how I set it up. I'm using the EVR Custom Pres. renderer. When I look at the filters it shows ffdshow Video Decoder and ffdshow Audio Decoder. And it skips like hell. I'm using 1771 of mpc-hc and ffdshow 3326. Upgrading to 3335 didn't help unfortunately.

EDIT: And why is it only showing the ffdshow video decoder and NOT the dxva video decoder? It's simply NOT using it at all.

Last edited by SamuriHL; 29th March 2010 at 16:17.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 16:18   #1739  |  Link
rsd78

Quote:
Yea, see, that's what I thought, too, and how I set it up. I'm using the EVR Custom Pres. renderer. When I look at the filters it shows ffdshow Video Decoder and ffdshow Audio Decoder. And it skips like hell. I'm using 1771 of mpc-hc and ffdshow 3326. Upgrading to 3335 didn't help unfortunately.

EDIT: And why is it only showing the ffdshow video decoder and NOT the dxva video decoder? It's simply NOT using it at all.
Isn't the merit of the ffdshow video decoder higher by default than the dxva one?
Old 29th March 2010, 16:20   #1740  |  Link
SamuriHL

No, it's the same. So yea, I fixed it. I had indeed taken it out of the external filters list. I put it back and now it's working. Thought I had tried this combination before but apparently not. Hey this is slick! Nice work, albain!! Very impressive.