Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th March 2014, 00:54   #24961  |  Link
Eiffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You mean you can't "unpress" both buttons at the same time? Works just fine on my PC. Are you talking about madTPG running on its own? Or while ArgyllCMS and/or HCFR are doing measurements through madTPG? In the moment when ArgyllCMS/HCFR take control of madTPG, they have the "power" to enforce these buttons to be pressed. However, as long as no other software is remote controlling madTPG, it should be possible to unpress both of those buttons at the same time.
Madshi, the issue I described started with madVR 0.87.5. Older versions of the madTPG executable do not exhibit this issue.
Eiffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 01:14   #24962  |  Link
Eiffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Do you have a a set of linear VidoeLUTs attached to your 3DLUT (collink option "-a")?
Yes, this is what I use:

dispcal.exe -v2 -dmadvr -c1 -yn -qh -m "-w0.3127,0.329" -G2.4 -f0 -k0 -A4.0

dispwin.exe -v -dmadvr -c
dispread.exe -v -dmadvr -c1 -yn -K
colprof.exe -v -qh -ax -bl -C -M madVR -D
collink -v -qh -G -iaw -r65 -n -3m -et -Et -IB:2.4 -a
Eiffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 01:42   #24963  |  Link
markanini

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
I am forced to restart MPC-HC to watch a new video when NNEDI3 doubling is enabled, otherwise I get a black screen. HD7770 driver v14.2 beta.
Doesn't happen here. But I'm not using v14.2. Don't know if it has to do with that or not.
Solved it by uninstalling the Intel HD and Open CL driver.

Last edited by markanini; 15th March 2014 at 01:45.
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 02:11   #24964  |  Link
agustin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
why doesnt the composition rate adapt to my monitors frequency? it seems to only use the frequency my main monitor uses (70Hz) and not that of my other devices (50Hz).

tried exclusive full screen mode as well: stuck at 70Hz...
That's how composition works, but I don't think it bothers madvr
agustin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 03:49   #24965  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post
Yes, this is what I use:

dispcal.exe -v2 -dmadvr -c1 -yn -qh -m "-w0.3127,0.329" -G2.4 -f0 -k0 -A4.0

dispwin.exe -v -dmadvr -c
dispread.exe -v -dmadvr -c1 -yn -K
colprof.exe -v -qh -ax -bl -C -M madVR -D
collink -v -qh -G -iaw -r65 -n -3m -et -Et -IB:2.4 -a
You have linear VideoLUTs appended to the 3DLUT so if you have the 3DLUT enabled the VideoLUTs are disabled automatically. You would also have a very bad calibration if you enabled them.

If you want to test with VideoLUTs enabled use "-H" in collink instead of "-a". VideoLUTs will be forced on if you enable a 3DLUT created with "-H".

edit: Or you could not use "-a" or "-H" and be able to enable & disable the VideoLUTs at will. The 3DLUT would only be correct with the VideoLUT enabled.

edit2: I just noticed you also use "-K" in dispread, you might get slightly more accurate results with "-k" if you create the 3DLUT without using "-a".

Last edited by Asmodian; 15th March 2014 at 04:10.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 03:53   #24966  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustin9 View Post
That's how composition works, but I don't think it bothers madvr
This is correct, it is an issue with Windows 7 that is not present in Windows 8.1.

I understand a v-sync is forced at the composition rate by Aero so you might try the "disable desktop composition" option if you are experiencing issues caused by the composition rate.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 08:38   #24967  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
You can't use it with jrmc until it or madvr adds pixel shader support. To use it with mpc-hc copy the script (check my sig) into a txt file, rename it .hlsl and put it in mpc-hc's shaders directory. In mpc-hc right click>shaders>select shaders.

The defaults are horrible, I'd suggest pattern 3 and adjusting strength between 0.5-2.0, increasing clamp improves really fine detail without artifacts if adjusted correctly, I use 0.5.
Someone needs to start a LumaSharpen thread. I have so many questions, but this probably isn't the appropriate place to ask.

I've been using 1.5 sharpness, .05 clamp, and pattern 3. I'd really like to understand what makes this pattern better or what the optimal settings are in general and the best way to test.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 15th March 2014 at 08:41.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 09:02   #24968  |  Link
XMonarchY

When I try to use the latest madVR with ArgyllCMS, I get "Windows Access Failed" message and madTPG screen is now gray instead of black, but I guess that was intended... Older version of madVR (0.87.6) works fine though.
Old 15th March 2014, 09:02   #24969  |  Link
G_M_C

Hello madshi,

I've been testing madVR 87.7 (and the test-build before that).

For my test i've used my bluray of howls moving castle, and a 10-bit test-encode (x264) ive made from it.

But mainly ive used chapter 4 of my bluray of Samsara. This scene provides the best test i know. It goes from the bleak greyish landscape of Tibet (contrast/greyscale performance test) to a scene where monks lay out a mandala with pure primary-coloured and black/white sand where you can see individual grains of sand (colour, contrast, detail - performance test).

For my tests i've chosen to use nnedi, 32 neurons, to do chroma up-sampling. The reason for this is that
- As fas as i understand, chroma up-sampling, normally speaking always involves doubling (4:2:x to 4:4:x involves a doubling afaik).
- Based on the screen-shots you posted when you presented nnedi, it was my feeling that nnedi provided the most accurate up-sampling of all scalers; even with odd artifacts.

Based on my tests i found that Error diffusion, on low setting gets best result (ED option 2). I also use chroma dithering with that option. This because it lowers luma artifacts, knowing that human eyes are more sensitive to luma then to chroma. to my reasoning that means the fewer luma-artifacts the better.

Setting dithering to 'chance every frame' results is a visible layer of slight noise, resembling slight film-grain.

Using an other scaler improves performance notably, but gives slightly less detail and color-accuracy on the Samsara tests.

For my use, and based on my eyes, combining both nnedi-32 for chroma up-sampling and ED-2+chroma up-sampling provides very natural looking image. On my calibrated plasma it provides the suggestion as if 'looking through a very clean window'. I've chosen to stick with these settings.

Mayby in the future i can use more neurons for chroma upsampling, but i dont know if it would provide even better results.

Quote:
You can't use it with jrmc until it or madvr adds pixel shader support. [...]
On my PC i can use pixel shaders icw MPT-HC and madVR. It does seem to work. But i have no idea what the difference is between adding a shader before or after resizing. For instance does it before mean 'before madVR does its chroma upsampling / magic' ? I'd be interested to know.

Last edited by G_M_C; 15th March 2014 at 12:50.
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 10:28   #24970  |  Link
jaju123

Madshi can you describe the AMD interop bug? I managed to get in touch with an AMD representative who is eager to fix the issue, I just need some more info. If you can PM me some info or type it here that would be great!
jaju123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 10:32   #24971  |  Link
aufkrawall

Is rerender frames while fade in/out (checkbox unchecked) known to cause unstable playback with H.264 interlaced?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 11:43   #24972  |  Link
DrNein

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalLF View Post
MadShi!!!! ESET Smart Security think your newest version is a virus.. "Probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus"... I'm just informing you even if there is no virus...
SUPERAntiSpyware reckons "InstallFilter.exe" is "Trojan.Agent/Gen-PennyStockChaser".
DrNein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 12:11   #24973  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
madshi: Switching to pc levels fixes overlay but now window and fse are crushed.
You mean if you switch madVR to *TV* output levels, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post
Madshi, the issue I described started with madVR 0.87.5. Older versions of the madTPG executable do not exhibit this issue.
Ok, but you didn't answer any of the questions I asked you. Sorry, can't help you if you ignore my questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
Solved it by uninstalling the Intel HD and Open CL driver.
Oh, interesting. Somewhat strange, though, I have the Intel stuff installed on my PC, too, and it doesn't seem to make any problems here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
This is correct, it is an issue with Windows 7 that is not present in Windows 8.1.
It is not? Didn't know that, that's a nice improvement then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
Mayby in the future i can use more neurons for chroma upsampling, but i dont know if it would provide even better results.
I rather doubt it. I think for chroma upsampling probably 32 neurons is as high as you need to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
On my PC i can use pxel shaders icw MPT-HC and madVR. It does seem to work. But i have no idea what the difference is between adding a shader before or after resizing. For instance does it before mean 'before madVR does its chroma upsampling / magic' ? I'd be interested to know.
You can e.g. run the sharpening shader on the video in its original resolution. Or you can run it on the video after madVR has scaled it to the target resolution. Some shaders produce better image quality if you run them before scaling, others after scaling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Is rerender frames while fade in/out (checkbox unchecked) known to cause unstable playback with H.264 interlaced?
No. However, if you uncheck that box you might want to increase the GPU queue size a bit. I'd suggest at least 12 frames, maybe 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
When I try to use the latest madVR with ArgyllCMS, I get "Windows Access Failed" message and madTPG screen is now gray instead of black, but I guess that was intended... Older version of madVR (0.87.6) works fine though.
I can't seem to be able to reproduce that here. It works just fine here. Please make sure that the madTPG version you're starting matches the madVR version you have installed, otherwise there might be problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaju123 View Post
Madshi can you describe the AMD interop bug? I managed to get in touch with an AMD representative who is eager to fix the issue, I just need some more info. If you can PM me some info or type it here that would be great!
Well, that would be great, of course! I've uploaded a small OpenCL interop speed test tool. Full source code included. You can forward this (and ideally also my whole reply to you) to the AMD representative:

http://madshi.net/OpenClSpeedTest.zip

On my PC with an HD7770 I get the following results:

Code:
D3D9 StretchRect: 1834 fps
D3D9 HLSL PixelShader: 2407 fps
OpenCL copy: 1986 fps
OpenCL kernel: 2117 fps
OpenCL copy interop: 427 fps
OpenCL kernel interop: 424 fps

Error Diffusion OpenCL: 466 fps
Error Diffusion OpenCL interop: 134 fps
Error Diffusion OpenCL interop 2: 192 fps
Error Diffusion DirectCompute: 347 fps
Error Diffusion DirectCompute interop: 316 fps
Error Diffusion DirectCompute interop 2: 297 fps
If you look at the top of the measurements, the test tool measures how fast my HD7770 can copy a 1920x1080 video frame, using different methods, including D3D9 StretchRect, a simple PixelShader, an OpenCL "copy" command or a simple OpenCL kernel. As you can see, all of these measure somewhat similar with about 2000 fps. The 2nd test section compares doing Error Diffusion via OpenCL and via DirectCompute.

According to these tests (and my own experience) AMD's OpenCL implementation is working pretty well and fast, as long as you use only native OpenCL image objects. But as soon as I try to integrate OpenCL into my D3D9 rendering pipeline, speed suffers quite noticeably. A simple 1920x1080 frame copy slows down from 2000 fps to 425 fps. Or worse: Error diffusion slows down from 466 fps to just 134 fps. 466fps means one frame takes about 2.5ms to process. 134fps means one frame takes about 7.5ms to process. So basically the interop between OpenCL and Direct3D costs about 5ms per 1080p frame on my PC. And I think this test is making the cost "look good". In real world usage the cost seems to be rather higher. Some users are reporting interop to cost about 10ms per frame. Which is A LOT, considering that for 1080p60 playback each frame must be fully processed and displayed in 16.7ms per frame. And we're talking about 1080p here. I don't even want to think about 4K.

In contrast to that, I can do DirectCompute interop with my Direct3D9 rendering pipeline without any noticeable interop cost at all! Which is how it should be, IMHO. I don't see why there should be any noticeable interop costs. FWIW, neither NVidia's nor Intel's D3D9 <-> OpenCL interop seems to cost much performance. AMD is the only one with a noticeable interop penalty.

And another key problem is that the D3D9 <-> OpenCL interop cost does *not* seem to depend on the GPU speed. The very fastest and the very slowest AMD GPUs both seem to have interop costs of about 5-10ms per 1080p frame.

If this could be fixed, that would be great!

Edit: Here's a user report who has interop costs of about 73ms per 1080p frame (!!), with an HD5870:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1673651&postcount=25002

Last edited by madshi; 15th March 2014 at 19:23.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 12:14   #24974  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNein View Post
SUPERAntiSpyware reckons "InstallFilter.exe" is "Trojan.Agent/Gen-PennyStockChaser".
It's another false positive. Comes clean with my Avast. The best you can do is report it to them http://forums.superantispyware.com/i...lse-positives/

Also VirusTotal is a pretty neat site that let's you upload files to scan with ~50 different antivirus/antimalware apps. Here are the results for newest madVR https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/0...is/1394854647/
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 13:27   #24975  |  Link
seiyafan

This is on my R9 270x:

D3D9 StretchRect: 2832 fps
D3D9 HLSL PixelShader: 2133 fps
OpenCL copy: 3050 fps
OpenCL kernel: 3612 fps
OpenCL copy interop: 400 fps
OpenCL kernel interop: 462 fps

The difference is even greater!!!!!!!
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 14:12   #24976  |  Link
romulous

OpenClSpeedTest.zip instantly crashes on my system (NVIDIA GTX660 Ti) - guess that is to be expected until NVIDIA fix the OpenCL issue(s) in their newer drivers.

romulous
romulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 14:21   #24977  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

It wasn't meant to be used on NVidia GPUs. I've written this just for AMD to demonstrate the interop problem. It requires support for the official OpenCL 1.2 D3D9 interop extension, which NVidia doesn't support atm.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 14:29   #24978  |  Link
romulous

Quote:
It wasn't meant to be used on NVidia GPUs. I've written this just for AMD to demonstrate the interop problem. It requires support for the official OpenCL 1.2 D3D9 interop extension, which NVidia doesn't support atm.
Ah - sorry about that. I got confused by your mention of the NVIDIA interop not being badly impacted performance wise (thought you must have measured it via the tool, and was curious about what the figures would be on my system).
romulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 15:14   #24979  |  Link
Ceremony

Have there been performance tests with AMD's A10-7850K yet? NNEDI is probably out of the question, but what about Jinc resizing? Can the integrated graphics chips handle that?
Im considering building such a HTPC for about 400-500€
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 15:18   #24980  |  Link
kostik

OpenClSpeedTest crashes for me also, but using opencl and error difussion works for me in madVR . I also have Nvidia video card.
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling