Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th February 2018, 17:45   #49041  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Music will be out of tune anyway, but this is getting OT I'm afraid so enjoy your movies playing at 99.9% speed if you like: https://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...and-his-gadget

My point is that 99.9% of 23.976 stored content is meant to be watched at its native 24fps speed, that's all.

Next stop is 25fps PAL speedup so sit tight but good to know that MPC can fix this crap w/o Reclock, might give it a shot then.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 18:41   #49042  |  Link
mytbyte

@leepery: OK, I get it...you may have the case unless the 23.976 transfer was already not pitch corrected (it's such a small difference that perhaps studios don't bother)...for 25 fps conversion, however, I know that it's quite common practice to pitch-correct (not universal practice, though)...how can you know that when reclocking back to 24 fps?
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 19:54   #49043  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Do you mean there is an issue on his system, or it isn't possible?
LAV can detect my PAL DVDs as films and disable the interlace flag on output pin (see my OSD screenshot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qu...5RKj2lxJuM5ZR0 , this is playing directly from a retail disc)
Edit: I arrived to this conclusion because when I play bonuses madVR then says "deinterlacing on (says upstream)", same with DVB SD TV recordings.
lavfilter can't decode DVD by it self it is using the MS decoder.
and it is normal that it is send as interlanced even with an soft telecine file and this is technically not wrong so this can be different between dvd and windows versions.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 20:41   #49044  |  Link
mytbyte

Perhaps el filou has some truly progressive PAL DVDs? A run through mediainfo would reveal the truth?
Old 18th February 2018, 20:50   #49045  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

MediaInfo knows little, it scans only technical flags in headers, but doesn't look at video frame contents. That's a job for your eyes and your brain.

Truly progressive video content might still be encoded in interlaced MPEG-2 format. There may be only few DVD Video productions encoded in progressive MPEG-2 video mode (I know only "Animatrix").

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 21:46   #49046  |  Link
huhn

a lot of DVDs are soft telecine which is practically progressive.
and 25 hz DVD are PsF which is again practically progressive.
Old 18th February 2018, 23:06   #49047  |  Link
mytbyte

yes, for PAL DVD that's correct at file level, but the player will present each half-frame separated in time every 50th of a second when it really needs to weave the fields together as full frame and present it twice for 50Hz display, in order to lose interlace deffects, line twitter and stairstepping on motion...you need progressive flag for that...I have tested and MadVR treats interlaced PAL PsF as video content instead of film unless you force film mode

Last edited by mytbyte; 18th February 2018 at 23:42.
Old 19th February 2018, 04:47   #49048  |  Link
Apache553

madVR lags too much on my HTPC.It consumes 75% of CPU but only 2% of GPU.I tried to reinstall the video card driver and the OS,but that didn't work.Is there anyone who knows how to solve this problem?Thanks!

My HTPC:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965
Video card: R7 360 2gb
RAM: 8GB DDR3
MB: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P
Apache553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 06:17   #49049  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
yes, for PAL DVD that's correct at file level, but the player will present each half-frame separated in time every 50th of a second when it really needs to weave the fields together as full frame and present it twice for 50Hz display, in order to lose interlace deffects, line twitter and stairstepping on motion...you need progressive flag for that...I have tested and MadVR treats interlaced PAL PsF as video content instead of film unless you force film mode
maybe i didn't make my self clear enough with there is no "auto detection". so if a stream is flagged interlaced madVR will do what you tell it to do with an interlaced stream.

and every mpeg2 stream on a DVD has to be flagged as interlaced that's the spec. that's why they are PsF which is just a progressive stream flagged as interlaced and that'S why a soft telecine NTSC file has to be transform to interlaced 3:2.
this is simplified so not 100 % correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache553 View Post
madVR lags too much on my HTPC.It consumes 75% of CPU but only 2% of GPU.I tried to reinstall the video card driver and the OS,but that didn't work.Is there anyone who knows how to solve this problem?Thanks!
can you make a screen of your OSD (control+j)) don't use the forum to upload it plz.
Old 19th February 2018, 10:20   #49050  |  Link
Apache553

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
can you make a screen of your OSD (control+j)) don't use the forum to upload it plz.

The screenshot is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mxf...ew?usp=sharing
Old 19th February 2018, 17:22   #49051  |  Link
ForceX

10bit X265/HEVC 1080p is very hard to decode in CPU. Do you get the same result when playing H264 videos?
ForceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 17:24   #49052  |  Link
sneaker_ger

His decoder queues are full which suggests it's not a decoding bottleneck.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 18:18   #49053  |  Link
Apache553

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceX View Post
10bit X265/HEVC 1080p is very hard to decode in CPU. Do you get the same result when playing H264 videos?
Actually, I get the same result when playing with madVR. No matter what the codec is.
Old 19th February 2018, 18:46   #49054  |  Link
Asmodian

Upload is very slow, odd. Do you have "present a frame for every VSync" enabled? Try changing it. Also try changing "use a separate device for presentation". How does "enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode" influence it?

How about f.lux or other programs that interact with the GPU? This looks like Optimus or other odd architecture issue but of course you are using AMD with a dGPU.

Edit: The issue is getting the frame from the decoder to the GPU, usually a memory bandwidth problem (that can be caused by drivers or software along with hardware limitations).

Last edited by Asmodian; 19th February 2018 at 18:56.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 18:59   #49055  |  Link
Apache553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Upload is very slow, odd. Do you have "present a frame for every VSync" enabled? Try changing it. Also try changing "use a separate device for presentation". How does "enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode" influence it?

How about f.lux or other programs that interact with the GPU? This looks like Optimus or other odd architecture issue but of course you are using AMD with a dGPU.

Edit: The issue is getting the frame from the decoder to the GPU, usually a memory bandwidth problem (that can be caused by drivers or software along with hardware limitations).
Those options didn't make sense.
There is no other programs that interact with the GPU.

After my testing,I found it that only 10bit videos lag too much.Is that really a memory bandwidth problem?
Old 19th February 2018, 19:18   #49056  |  Link
nussman

84% CPU load is too much for smooth playback (imho).
So it looks like a decoder issue to me (10bit => no dxva => cpu too slow). You can try 64bit (Player, Decoder and madVR).
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 19:18   #49057  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

"More than 8 bit per component" also means "more than one byte" ... so processing 10 bit may already require twice the memory bandwidth, even if just in a part of the processing.

But a lack of hardware accelleration due to unsupported attributes weights more.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 22:49   #49058  |  Link
mclingo

can someone help me understand this. Star trek 2009, I have a 1080p remux, a 2160p remux and a 2160p HDR remux. I have set MADVR so it only outputs in 2160p so it should only be upscaling the 1080p version, right?. If so then it should take more GPU processing to do this, right?

I'm using lanczos for chroma upscale and NGU sharp medium for image upscale, here are my results on my AMD RX 550.

1080p

GPU 83%
Rendering times 33 ms

2160p

GPU 92%
Rendering times 32ms

2160p HDR

Rendering times - 147ms
GPU - unknown - probably 99%

Something has defo changed with HDR playback, dont know if its MADVR or GPU drivers as I was able to get smooth HDR playback with these settings, now HDR is unwatchable. I went back a few versions in MADVR and it made no difference so I guess it could be drivers.

Anyone else out there with an crappy RX 550 who can share their settings / experiences?

time for a new card maybe, used RX 480/580 maybe.
mclingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 22:54   #49059  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
can someone help me understand this.
You'll most likely need to post screenshots of the MadVR OSD for anyone to be able to see what's going wrong.
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 23:19   #49060  |  Link
mclingo

Ive just reinstalled MADVR and i'm back to reasonable rendering times and smooth playback now, getting about 33ms for 4k/4k HDR stuff, still running my card over 90% though, MADVR really doesnt like my RX 550.

what is odd however is if I tick all the perf vs quality ticks it make pretty much zero difference, should this be doing something here?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6i5qpd5orr...23%5D.jpg?dl=0
mclingo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling