Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 22nd April 2007, 14:31   #1061  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron2000 View Post
For the HW deinterlacing at the output page, must the player by set to overlay mixer to use it?
No VMR?

HW deinterlacing does auto-deinterlacing, isn't it?

How I wish there would be some really thorough indepth guide for ffdshow something like the ATI Catalyst guide at TweakGuides. Maybe it can be a wiki for fast updates on the status of the features.
"Use overlay mixer" is historical naming. In this era of VMR, the name of the check box doesn't make sense in my opinion.

Technically speaking, "Use overlay mixer" force (or allow by intermediate state) ffdshow to use VIDEOINFOHEADER2.
If not checked, VIDEOINFOHEADER is used.
VIDEOINFOHEADER2 is superior in the point that it can specify pixel aspect ratio (SAR), interlacing flag (called HW deinterlacing there).

Intermediate state in VMR7/9 is same as checked.
Intermediate state except VMR, first try VIDEOINFOHEADER2 and if failed to connect, try VIDEOINFOHEADER.

If I remember correctly, on Windows 2000, when default video renderer of OS is specified by the application, "Use overlay mixer" works just like its name. If checed, overlaymixer, If not, old renderer.

Could anyone fix my English and post it to MeWiki?

I would like to rename the check box. What should it be called? "Send pixel aspect ratio to video renderer"?
Old 22nd April 2007, 14:37   #1062  |  Link
clsid

Perhaps "Use advanced renderer capabilities" or "Send control flags to renderer".
Old 22nd April 2007, 15:01   #1063  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
A lot of people are having trouble finding the 'presets' functionality in ffdshow because it is not in a very obvious place.

Some suggestions to improve the GUI:

* Rename 'Image settings' to 'Profiles/Presets'
* Which do you prefer 'Profiles/Presets' or 'Profiles/Preset settings'?
Quote:
* Rename 'Show/hide filters' to 'Filters' and remove the indentation.
I tried, but it did not look better to me.
Quote:
* Remove indentations for 'Decoder options', 'Queue & misc' and 'Output'.
The indentation means that they are in preset settings (The indentation begins 'Image settings') though this idea of milan is less likely to be understood. Cosmetically, removing indentation does not look better to me.
Old 22nd April 2007, 15:15   #1064  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Code:
typedef struct tagVIDEOINFOHEADER {
    RECT                rcSource,
    RECT                rcTarget;
    DWORD               dwBitRate;
    DWORD               dwBitErrorRate;
    REFERENCE_TIME      AvgTimePerFrame;
    BITMAPINFOHEADER    bmiHeader;
} VIDEOINFOHEADER

typedef struct tagVIDEOINFOHEADER2 {
    RECT                rcSource;
    RECT                rcTarget;
    DWORD               dwBitRate;
    DWORD               dwBitErrorRate;
    REFERENCE_TIME      AvgTimePerFrame;
    DWORD               dwInterlaceFlags;
    DWORD               dwCopyProtectFlags;
    DWORD               dwPictAspectRatioX;
    DWORD               dwPictAspectRatioY;
    DWORD               dwReserved1;
    DWORD               dwReserved2;
    BITMAPINFOHEADER    bmiHeader;
} VIDEOINFOHEADER2;
The difference is aspect ratio, interlace and copy protect.
ffdshow does not set copy protect flag, AFAIK.
dwInterlaceFlags is set only if "HW deinterlacing" is checked.
Old 22nd April 2007, 15:31   #1065  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
..."Send control flags to renderer".
Sounds good to me. The tooltip should contain a short explanation of all 3 states like
Quote:
Checked: ffdshow uses advanced control flags like SAR and interlacing...
Greyed-out: ffdshow tries to use advanced control flags but falls back if unsupported...
Unchecked: ffdshow does not use any of the advanced control flags...
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 16:03   #1066  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
Sounds good to me. The tooltip should contain a short explanation of all 3 states like
Quote:
Well, if "HW deinterlacing" is not checked, only SAR is the advanced control flag.
Old 22nd April 2007, 16:09   #1067  |  Link
fastplayer

It was just meant as a template. Until now I didn't know what this check box meant. The tooltip was as meaningful as last week's newspaper...
Maybe something like this:
"ffdshow uses advanced control flags like SAR and interlacing (if selected below) etc."
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 16:38   #1068  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
* Which do you prefer 'Profiles/Presets' or 'Profiles/Preset settings'?
Preset settings
Old 22nd April 2007, 16:43   #1069  |  Link
clsid

Btw, is there any reason to keep the "use overlay mixer" checkbox? Could we not just make the intermediate state behavior the standard behavior?
Old 22nd April 2007, 22:50   #1070  |  Link
jidelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
(first of all - sorry for taking my time with answering this, but I'm a bit stressed out at work currently so this had to wait until the weekend...)
No problem. I know how stressful work can be. I'm just glad you have taken them time to review this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
Okay, I've tested the Video Essential clip several times in a row, logging the OSD values (esp. AviSynth info and Frame duration) to a csv file - there's an option on the OSD config page if you want to do the same.

It played at a constant 41.7xxx ms per frame for me, except for two or three scene changes in the beginning where the frame duration dipped down to 33ms for a single frame - which is surely caused by a bad edit (wonky interlace flags caused by cutting and/or pasting parts of the video after applying the flags in postproduction). If that's what you meant by "oscillate", that's perfectly normal and happens all the time; also, it should be almost unnoticeable.
Yes, this is what I meant by "oscillating" but here is the frustrating part for me; when I use your ffdshow version and the frame duration dips to 33ms (like the clips I provided) my video stutters/freezes for a couple of secs. All other ffdshow versions I use handle the frame dips very smoothly without a problem. I will continue to test your version(s) but it will sure make testing easier when you add the switch to turn buffering on/off so I don't have to continue un-installing your version of ffdshow to go back to one that plays smoothly for me. I really wish someone else could confirm that this is happening to them but as it stands, if its only me, then forget about this as I'm sure there are other things you can do with your valuable time.

Thanks,
jidelite

Last edited by jidelite; 23rd April 2007 at 02:19.
jidelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 00:14   #1071  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron2000
HW deinterlacing does auto-deinterlacing, isn't it
Quote:
VIDEOINFOHEADER2 is superior in the point that it can specify pixel aspect ratio (SAR), interlacing flag (called HW deinterlacing there).
I think "Hardware deinterlacing" is a misnomer. Setting the dwInterlaceFlags in VIH2 enables the downstream DirectShow filter to treat the content as interlaced. In most cases the next filter after a decoder (such as Ffdshow) is the Video Renderer. VMR7, VMR9 and EVR know that if dwInterlaceFlags has AMINTERLACE_IsInterlaced set, they should try to perform deinterlacing. Whether the deinterlacing is truly performed in software (CPU only) or hardware (GPU assisted through DXVA) is irrelevant to the decoder. So I think calling this feature "hardware deinterlacing" is not most accurate. If all it does is enable VIH2 and sets the AMINTERLACE_IsInterlaced flag, then it would more apt to name it "Enable interlaced signaling" or something like that. After all, there's no guarantee that the next filter in the graph is a renderer - so there's still no guarantee deinterlacing will be performed if that checkbox is checked.
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 01:57   #1072  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Btw, is there any reason to keep the "use overlay mixer" checkbox? Could we not just make the intermediate state behavior the standard behavior?
Agreed unless anyone knows of a case where another filter rejects VIH2, even though it works when forced on.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 08:30   #1073  |  Link
vlada

Hi, I just read about a deinterlace filter in MPlayer called Yadif. It is a smart bob filter, which doubles framerate, has both spatial and temporal detection and an edge directed interpolation. I haven't tried it yet myself, but in a test I've seen it looks very good.

I'm wondering, if it would be possible to add this filter in ffdshow.
vlada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 10:32   #1074  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

@devs : lavc doesn't compile with MSVC in the last svn rev (due to the latest atrac3 mods)...Seems to be ok with gcc though.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 10:46   #1075  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Greyed-out: ffdshow tries to use advanced control flags but falls back if unsupported...
Unchecked: ffdshow does not use any of the advanced control flags...
This has made the option finally clear to me. Cheers!

Just one quite a noobish question: As long as I remember the option has been checked & greyed out in my case. What does it depend on? Graphic card's drivers? Graphic card's capabilities? OS as well? Or maybe all of them together to some extent?

Thanks in advance.
cheers,
HDBR77

PS. A quick look at video render pin revealed I've got "formattype: FORMAT_VideoInfo2" for all the formats I checked.

@ zambelli:
Quote:
If all it does is enable VIH2 and sets the AMINTERLACE_IsInterlaced flag, then it would more apt to name it "Enable interlaced signaling" or something like that.
Do you assume then, if it's unchecked, that the video render (no matter which is being used) won't get the signalling as to whether the video is interlaced or not? If it's true, would the render always try to perform deinterlacing with this option checked?
Old 23rd April 2007, 11:35   #1076  |  Link
vlada

One more question: It used to be possible to install ffdshow even with a user account. Now I can't install ffdshow even as a poweruser, the installer tells me I need to have an administrator account. Why?
vlada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 15:17   #1077  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Hmm... seems to be a good idea. Only one negative point of intermediate state that I know is that it slows down connection process compared to "checked" state.
User-friendliness may prioritize over it though.

But I'm not brave enough to remove it, because ffdshow has a huge variety of users. There may be some users who need that feature for the reason that I cannot imagine.
Old 23rd April 2007, 15:25   #1078  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBangeR77 View Post
@ zambelli:

Do you assume then, if it's unchecked, that the video render (no matter which is being used) won't get the signalling as to whether the video is interlaced or not? If it's true, would the render always try to perform deinterlacing with this option checked?
If it's unchecked the video renderer won't get any information regarding interlacing. They should be treated as progressive (some video renderers may try IVTC for DVD, though I'm not sure).
If it's checked, the flag is set if it is interlaced or not. For progressive stream, the flag is set progressive. What matters a lot is DVD, they are always interlaced but in most cases they were originally film, i.e. progressive.
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:51   #1079  |  Link
wozio

Quote:
If it's unchecked the video renderer won't get any information regarding interlacing. They should be treated as progressive (some video renderers may try IVTC for DVD, though I'm not sure).
If it's checked, the flag is set if it is interlaced or not. For progressive stream, the flag is set progressive. What matters a lot is DVD, they are always interlaced but in most cases they were originally film, i.e. progressive.
Isn't it VIDEOINFOHEADER2 set for each media sample passed to renderer? So only thing to do for decoder is to pass flags from encoded stream. It is up to renderer (or in fact drivers if we are talking about VMR) to detect correct deinterlacing mode.
wozio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 00:00   #1080  |  Link
Keepitsimple

maybe time for next official beta?
Keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl