Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th April 2002, 06:17   #1  |  Link
metrum_eng

Aspect Ratio question?

I've noticed on occasion when I rip a dvd and then use dvd2avi for preparation to encode; when running the dvd2avi, the aspect ration will say 4:3 in dvd2avi, despite the fact that after the dvd2avi completes, the ifo. files will say the dvd/vob aspect is 16:9.

Is this an intermittent/common bug that dvd2avi has? Too encode I use the GordianKnot prog .21 and .23 version. All of the programs that I use came with the GordianKnot package.

p/s, has anyone ripped the new release "Domestic Disturbance"? I can use that as an example of this problem. The dvd2avi program gave a 4:3, but the ifo. file specified 16:9. I used 4:3 to encode, and it kinda looked a little off. This has happened to me before and I just used the 16:9 to encode and it looked really off. So I guess I'll just trust whatever the dvd2avi program tells me. Suggestions will be appreciated?

Regards
metrum_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 06:47   #2  |  Link
Antimon
A lil bit of everything

Use whichever one looks closer if the dvd case doesn't tell

I ussualy use my own resize values cus it seems seldom corect

it's goign to either be 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 9 times out of 10, so devide the width by the proper aspect ratio to get the height, after you crop, resize it to that number

say you have a 720x480 dvd sorce that has a border top and bottom of 48 pixles, so you crop and get 720x384, which is 1.875:1 but the movie is supsoed to be 2.35"1 so devide 720x2.35 = 306, cloest mult of 16 is 304 so you get 720x304 as your resized output from 720x384

plus you can ususaly tell anamorphic 16:9 from 4:3 cus it's a large differnce

basiclaly crop first, then devive the width by the height see what you get and adjust the height acordingly to get 1.85 or 2.35 whichever looks more right.
Antimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 07:30   #3  |  Link
metrum_eng

Quote:
Originally posted by Antimon

say you have a 720x480 dvd sorce that has a border top and bottom of 48 pixles, so you crop and get 720x384, which is 1.875:1 but the movie is supsoed to be 2.35"1
Okay, thanks I will try this the next time I resize to encode and see how it works. I just have one question that threw me off a little when you said "But the movie suppose to be 2.35"1". My question to help me clarify what you're saying is how could I find out what the movie suppose to be in regards to 2.35"1? Is that a specified or fixed value labled on the actual dvd cover-case? It sounds like that is the case, and I apologize for the "newbie" question. And I appreciate your help!
Regards
metrum_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 07:01   #4  |  Link
Antimon
A lil bit of everything

99% of all dvd's *there always has to be a miss fit* Has the aspect ratio on it's case somepace eithe rin teh special features box, or on the little text on the bottom

It also mroe often then now will say "enhanced for 16:9 tv's" if it is indeed 16:9 compressed so you'd knwo you'd have to fix it.

But just aside from that youc an ussually tell it's off especially on a 2.35:1 16:9 movies it's very stretched, 185:1 16:9 can be slightly harder to spot but it still ussualy looks "wrong"
Antimon is offline   Reply With Quote