Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 27th March 2008, 09:09   #1  |  Link
ralph2001
MCE Librarian

Audio Synchronization

I'm not sure how to go about this so hopefully I can get some help. There doesn't appear to be a lot of good software available to convert my DVD collection to WMV format to use on my XBOX 360 Media Center. So I have an XVID (.avi) collection that I'm trying to convert to .WMV format for my MCE. my .avi files appear to play the audio in synchronization but after I convert to WMV the audio isn't synct anymore. How can I recync the audio? I've heard the term repack but I don't know if that's what I need. Or can I seperate the audio track from the video and reattach it again in maybe another format.
I believe all the answers are on this site but the site is overwhelming to a newbie. I don't know where to begin.
Thanks
ralph2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 15:32   #2  |  Link
ralph2001
MCE Librarian

Thanks, for your speedy reply.
Old 30th March 2008, 16:36   #3  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

Your initial post is confusing (And the sarcasm of your second post is not appreciated)

1) Are you attempting to:
Quote:
convert my DVD collection to WMV format
or
Quote:
I have an XVID (.avi) collection that I'm trying to convert to .WMV format

2) What software, procedures and settings did you use to create the XviD-compressed .AVIs from your original, commercial DVDs?

3) What software, procedures and settings did you use to create the WMVs from the XviD-compressed .AVIs?

4) If you require WMV format for playback on your system, why did you initially convert (all or some?) of your original, commercial DVDs to XviD-compressed .AVI format?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 06:36   #4  |  Link
ralph2001
MCE Librarian

Hi
Thank You for your response. While I typically don’t resort to sarcasm at least in this case it has resulted in a favorable response. I do appreciate your precise questions and I hope you’ll overlook my previous retort. The biggest part of my problem is my limited vocabulary within the world of video encoding. I have much to learn.
My best attempt at explaining. I have a rather large collection of DVD’s that I have been collected over the years. I’d like to convert them to .wmv9 for playing over my XBOX360 Media Center. I have slightly over 4TB so I’ve got the room for my complete collection on my PC. While there appears to be much software to convert DVD or avi to IPOD, ZUNE, IPHONE and many other formats it seems like Windows Media Center is overlooked (I seem to acquire a frown whenever I think of the dilemma Microsoft has created for me). Currently I’m attempting to use DVDFAB Platinum to convert DVD’s to generic.avi.xvid.mp3 files. Then I’m using WinAVI to convert the rendered avi file to wmv format. The avi file plays OK but when it’s converted to wmv the audio track loses its synchronization with the video. This isn’t always true but more times than I would prefer.
So to answer your questions,
DVDFAB Platinum 4.0 is converting my DVD’s to generic.avi.xvid.mp3 files.
WinAVI 8.0 is converting my .avi files to wmv9 to stream over my XBOX360 Media Center.
Problem: Once the avi files are converted to wmv format the audio track becomes unsynchronized. But not always.
So my big question is;
Is there a way to separate the mp3 audio track from the video then reattach it so it’s synchronized? Or should I search for some other way to resync my audio to the video?
While I don’t have unlimited funds to try all the available software to achieve what I’m trying to do (Pension only goes so far) I would upgrade to something else if it would better serve my purpose.
I hope I’ve explained my dilemma better to remove some of the convoluted questions from my first post.
Thanks again for responding to my question.
Ralph
Old 31st March 2008, 09:22   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

You should be able to go directly from (ripped) DVD to WMV, without creating intermediate .AVIs. Click on the following link:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...20&postcount=2

BTW - A forum search for "DVD to WMV" yields a bunch of already posted information...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote