Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st March 2008, 21:49   #1  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Dither Being Applied To Burnt CD

I am testing the small audio burning application called Burrrn.

One of its default options is "dither" with "medium noise-shaping". What is this exactly? Does it boost quality of burnt audio discs?
EpheMeroN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 22:56   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!
Quote:
I am testing the small audio burning application called Burrrn.
I'd suggest that, as part of your testing, you try burning (or, if possible, writing to hard drive) two versions of the same CD - one with the options turned "On" and another with these options turned "Off" - and compare the results...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 23:03   #3  |  Link
fibbingbear
Ursus arctos horribilis

In image processing, dithering is the process of adding noise to an image to remove artifacts created by another process (typically color reduction). I'd imagine that Burrn would try to mask some sort of background clicks or other harsh sounds by adding subtle noise. Of course, this is speculation.

Personally, I put enough faith in the studios to make good sounding CDs, and I don't worry about such artifacts. Maybe it'd be more applicable if you were burning low quality mp3s to a CD.
fibbingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 23:47   #4  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibbingbear View Post
Personally, I put enough faith in the studios to make good sounding CDs, and I don't worry about such artifacts. Maybe it'd be more applicable if you were burning low quality mp3s to a CD.
Like taking 128kbit mp3s and decoding to wave, and then burning. I see what you're saying.

I'm wondering why this dither filtering is a default option. I was hoping to find some forum somewhere dedicated to this application but I've yet to find anything.

I might just have to burn the same cd twice and compare results!
Old 1st April 2008, 01:31   #5  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Since this is a burning question, and not necessarily an audio encoding question, feel free to move this to the "General Discussion" sub-forum mods. I just wasn't sure where to start the thread!