Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 16th May 2003, 08:48   #1  |  Link
Stranger

Broken frame in ogm

Hi,
I'm using latest koepi's build of XviD for some test.

If I compress a video using B-frames the video itself is quite good but if I mux with an ogg audio it results in a .ogm file with broken frame.

For instance i tried a 1400 MB file with
1. XviD (with BF) video stream
2. 2 ogg soundtrack
3. 3 different Subtitles stream
4. Chapters selection

The 1400 .ogm file plays correctly, but if I cut it (no matter what tool used to cut it, I tried everything) it results in an error in the second half of the movie and crash.

I tried to cut just video and audio but without results.

Obviously I scanned the single video file in VDM searching for error without detecting something strange.
And yes, I tried to encode audio with different programs.

If I try to use a mp3 audio and an avi container instead of ogg/ogm I have no problem.

Any idea?

Stranger
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2003, 09:19   #2  |  Link
Koepi

Subtitles have timestamps. I fthey don't get corrected, they break the 2nd part.

(Just a guess.)

Regards
Koepi
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2003, 10:28   #3  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Re: Broken frame in ogm

Quote:
Originally posted by Stranger If I try to use a mp3 audio and an avi container instead of ogg/ogm I have no problem.
Have you used latest VirtuadubMod ( 1.5.1.1a ) also ? Download it and make the test again, Cyrius improved a lot of things in this release, also concerning OGM handling. And the subtitle timestamps should be handled correctly in it when cutting/editing OGM files.

And, while you're at it, make the same test with matroska container please, i am curious if it will work with it ....
ChristianHJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2003, 10:44   #4  |  Link
N_F
Do you find me... pretty?

Is this related with Koepi's latest release and B-frames? Have you tried with DivX OR an earlier XviD version OR the newest build without B-frames?

I do what you do on a semi-regular basis without any problems (though I haven't tried it with the latest XviD and I don't use chapters.)

What happens if you try to open the second part (the one you can't play) in VDM?
N_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2003, 11:53   #5  |  Link
Stranger

First of all tnx a lot for reply

Then, this is not related to koepi's last build, I just included it because is the video codec I used, just for this.

Also I know that using Divx and B-Frame with ogg audio in OGM container will result in broken KF, and I DON'T USE divx at all.

I've the same problem with subtitles and without, with chapters and without...
Anyway I'll try to search the forum about correct handling of subtitles timestamps (tnx koepi)
I've to try with latest VDM release (tnx for hint) and with matroska container.

Just a question: how to handle the matroska container?
How to cut a 1400 MB file in 2 700 MB file?

Tnx a lot to everyone.

[EDIT]
Opening the second half of the file (cutted) in VDM atm results in a corrupted file.
It seems to be MUCH longer (about 231 HOURS instead of 1) and I founded a broken frame at half the file.
Obviously the single video avi has no broken frame, even cutted at the same point.
If I play the second-half movie file with a software player its duration seems correct (about 1 hour) but it freezes at the broken frame and the play doesn't go on.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by Stranger; 17th May 2003 at 12:00.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2003, 14:24   #6  |  Link
Koepi

Try using OggMux for muxing the streams and watch for any errors it might report. This could be a great help.

Regards
Koepi
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2003, 17:16   #7  |  Link
kastro68
Dai Suki

Quote:
how to handle the matroska container? How to cut a 1400 MB file in 2 700 MB file?
Save As->Segment output file->limit size of each segment

kastro68 is offline   Reply With Quote