Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 26th May 2008, 01:10   #221  |  Link
EuropeanMan

ok, can someone PLEASE tell me HOW i can rip subtitles from a blu-ray disc?

i've ripped the files onto my hard-drive...do i then DEMUX the m2ts completely? because the only thing i need from the bluray disc are subs...nothing else, not video nor audio...thanks.
EuropeanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 01:19   #222  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Personally I use TsMuxeR to demux the subtitles. You need to manually add the individual .m2ts files if there is seamless branching. Hopefully eac3to will support BD subtitle demuxing in the near future.
saint-francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 01:37   #223  |  Link
EuropeanMan

i've got it to .sup i believe...thanks for that.

i''ll try to experiment to get it to .srt format somehow

Last edited by EuropeanMan; 26th May 2008 at 02:36.
Old 26th May 2008, 02:51   #224  |  Link
EuropeanMan

crap...why is it when i use supread.exe that when it gets converted to .srt i only see "line 1" etc etc...? where are the actual subtitles?
Old 26th May 2008, 16:35   #225  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

You forgot maybe to click the "OCR All" button first!?

BTW another tool which (when it works) is very nice for OCR is SupRip. Don't forget to save as srt before closing!
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 21:19   #226  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I'm trying to convert a blu-ray sup file to srt with latest suprip but it gives me just a blank srt file after ocr...

any hints?

instructions doesn't help:

all works 'till
#7: there is nothing

btw: th sup has been demuxed with tsmuxer. and doing OCR with supread gives no ouput too ....
strange... the same file is actually working on 2 other computers - no problems with converting to srt. But not at this computer. I'm using exactly the same suprip version and deleted to be sure the default.font.txt (name\anwendungsdaten\suprip\)... somehow the srt can't be created - its empty, no lines at all...

any ideas whats going wrong?

XP prof (same as the other one)
SP3 (")
Old 4th June 2008, 11:24   #227  |  Link
asarian

Well, I used SUPread to create a series of png images, but that's where i'm lost. I want to hardcode the subs into an AVC/H.264 stream. And while this forum is replete with guides on how to do this for DVD, I can't seem to find any way to do this with HD material.

Could someone maybe clue me in a bit?

Thanks.
Old 4th June 2008, 13:24   #228  |  Link
MatMaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectal Prolapse View Post
I am now working on adding Blu-ray subpictures into MPC's internal subtitle filter - which is based on VobSub.

It should be easy to add HD-DVD subpicture support, using the decoding routines I wrote for the hdsup2bdn tool I wrote, but I'm targeting blu-ray first.

I hope to have an alpha out within the month.
Any news ?
MatMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 10:01   #229  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
You forgot maybe to click the "OCR All" button first!?

BTW another tool which (when it works) is very nice for OCR is SupRip. Don't forget to save as srt before closing!
Well, not to be rude, but SUPRIP (0.95) sure is a huge disappointment. Out of the 864 lines processed, it managed to have errors in 864 of them! In fact, its ability to OCR subtitles is limited to recognizing about 1 or 2 letters per line! (see attached image). That makes it, no offence, totally and utterly useless. Unless I completely misunderstood what it's supposed to be doing... but I doubt that.
Attached Images

Old 5th June 2008, 13:28   #230  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanMan View Post
i've got it to .sup i believe...thanks for that.

i''ll try to experiment to get it to .srt format somehow
I keep wondering why all this convoluted OCR-ing is necessary to begin with. Has anyone ever thought of just superimposing the graphics in the .sup file directly onto the stream you're trying to hardcode the subs in? Wouldn't that be much cleaner?
Old 5th June 2008, 16:09   #231  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

Hi,

Quote:
Has anyone ever thought of just superimposing the graphics in the .sup file directly
Oh, what a great idea! I'm just kidding. Don't take the other people here for idiots, please. Many people have been in the subtitle stuff for years and that's thanks to them that we can do all those stuffs, ripping, incrusting, overlaying, inserting to DVDs, Ocring...

If some users want to OCR, that's that they have a good reason for it and there are many reason possible for that. Now what is your question anyhow? Ask it politely and you may get an answer.

I don't want to be rude too but the way you write looks a bit aggressive to me.

Cheers
Manusse
manusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 18:23   #232  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarian View Post
Well, not to be rude, but SUPRIP (0.95) sure is a huge disappointment.
Hey, I didn't write it!

I have used SupRip (by Taktaal) a few times, and either it didn't work at all (crashed on opening the .sup) or it worked beautifully--great UI I think. Your mileage obviously varied!

Maybe it has something to do with the rip tool you used to extract that particular subtitle. In any case unfortunately there is not a separate thread for SupRip so reporting issues is not easy AFAICT.
Old 5th June 2008, 18:25   #233  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manusse View Post
Hi,

Oh, what a great idea! I'm just kidding. Don't take the other people here for idiots, please.
And don't take my sarcasm too literal either, please.
Quote:
Many people have been in the subtitle stuff for years and that's thanks to them that we can do all those stuffs, ripping, incrusting, overlaying, inserting to DVDs, Ocring...

If some users want to OCR, that's that they have a good reason for it and there are many reason possible for that. Now what is your question anyhow? Ask it politely and you may get an answer.

I don't want to be rude too but the way you write looks a bit aggressive to me.
More like frustrated. I have a perfectly good set of images (from the .sup file); and then I learn that I'm to OCR them, and feed em back as .srt file, to be rendered again as part of the stream; only to find out that suprip can't recognize 99% of all letters -- making the whole process unusable. So, yes, at that point I was experiencing some frustration over the need to go the OCR route to begin with. And wondering, indeed, why the images inside the .sup file can't be used for rendering in the first place. And a bit surprised to learn that, apparently, this has not been done yet.

So, my question is this: isn't there a program out there that can simply accomplish the task of 'superimposing' the images from a .sup file over an AVC stream?

Still, my apologies for my earlier tone. I can see how it didn't come off well.
Old 5th June 2008, 18:33   #234  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Hey, I didn't write it!

I have used SupRip (by Taktaal) a few times, and either it didn't work at all (crashed on opening the .sup) or it worked beautifully--great UI I think. Your mileage obviously varied!

Maybe it has something to do with the rip tool you used to extract that particular subtitle. In any case unfortunately there is not a separate thread for SupRip so reporting issues is not easy AFAICT.
I ripped em with the latest tsMuxeR, and suprip reads it in just fine; and even seems to recognize all the letters:

As you could probably tell, this sort of error-rate left me a mite frustrated.
Old 5th June 2008, 21:32   #235  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

Hi,

Just have a look here to convert your Blu-Ray sups to VobSub (sub/idx). Note that this process will degrade a bit your subtitles because VobSub is a SD (not HD) format that uses 3 colors per subpic. Currently there is no means to directly display HD SUP subtitles over the video because this format is very recent.

VobSub subtitles can then be superimposed on the video with MPC for example (KMP also).

Cheers
Manusse

EDIT: Also what you can try is : Convert your BD-Sup to HD-DVD-Sup. Open this HD-DVD Sup with SubtitleCreator. Save is as Sup (not VobSub this case), then open it with DVDSubEdit and try the automatic OCR. It may work although the HD->SD converting process degrades the bitmaps. If it's working then you'll get a nice srt file that when rendered will be smoother than the converted VobSub file. But if it doesn't work well (bad OCR recognition), then the VobSub way is the easiest way.

Last edited by manusse; 6th June 2008 at 00:03.
manusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 22:12   #236  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Hi,

Just have a look here to convert your Blu-Ray sups to VobSub (sub/idx). Note that this process will degrade a bit your subtitles because VobSub is a SD (not HD) format that uses 3 colors per subpic. Currently there is no means to directly display HD SUP subtitles over the video because this format is very recent.

VobSub subtitles can then be superimposed on the video with MPC for example (KMP also).

Cheers
Manusse
Well, that's a good start! Thanks!

EDIT: I don't mind a minor degradation in font-quality (though the Bluray font looks pretty slick). But at least this way I won't have to manually edit 2000+ lines in an OCR-ed .srt file.

Last edited by asarian; 5th June 2008 at 22:17.
asarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 00:45   #237  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
I ripped em with the latest tsMuxeR, and suprip reads it in just fine; and even seems to recognize all the letters...
Actually, no asarian--it's showing you the Bitmap SupRip is looking-at, and that it's not recognizing MOST of the letters! The Red outline means "not OCRing" and the Green means, "good". I don't know what is happening, it does look very bad, but if you want to play some more with this you should try adjusting the Options lower left. Just change the numbers, click "Apply", and then click OCR again until it starts working! If you get lost, click Defaults to start over.

I don't have the BD disc, but the HD-DVD interestingly has a different # of subs--also note "The civil war is over" is capitalized differently! Look too at my different settings--I used 0.93, and only had to "train" about a dozen letters or so. Yeah I couldn't help myself, just did this again:

Old 6th June 2008, 09:43   #238  |  Link
asarian

Thanks.

Yeah, that's what I meant: it 'seems' to recognize the characters (at least it boxes them correctly), but then fails to OCR them properly, after all. Ay any rate, you're new settings look very encouraging. Guess it couldn't handle their width (which still *does* surprise me, as, like I said, from the way it boxes them, it seems to grasp their dimensions pretty well).

For this movie (Pan's Labyrinth, as you astutely figured out), yesterday I found a ready-made .srt subtitle-set at divxtitels.com; but, needless to say, that's just a stop-gap, because eventually I'll run into a BD, like a director's cut or some such, that differs from the DVD. So, your methods, and that of manusse, have proven vital to my understanding of which route to take when dealing with BD .sup files!

So, thanks be to you all!
Old 25th June 2008, 13:35   #239  |  Link
ArcticFox

Anyone know how to get in contact with the author of SupRip, i have a subtitle from Metal Gear Solid 4 Documentary blu-ray that it cant read properly, its only showing 1 out of 1 subtitles, there are supposed to be 568.

Subtitles

Last edited by ArcticFox; 25th June 2008 at 13:52.
ArcticFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 15:21   #240  |  Link
ArcticFox

Quote:
Thanks.

Yeah, that's what I meant: it 'seems' to recognize the characters (at least it boxes them correctly), but then fails to OCR them properly, after all. Ay any rate, you're new settings look very encouraging. Guess it couldn't handle their width (which still *does* surprise me, as, like I said, from the way it boxes them, it seems to grasp their dimensions pretty well).

For this movie (Pan's Labyrinth, as you astutely figured out), yesterday I found a ready-made .srt subtitle-set at divxtitels.com; but, needless to say, that's just a stop-gap, because eventually I'll run into a BD, like a director's cut or some such, that differs from the DVD. So, your methods, and that of manusse, have proven vital to my understanding of which route to take when dealing with BD .sup files!

So, thanks be to you all!
Am i missing something?

Why dont you manually enter the letters yourself?

Load the SUP, click automatically continue with the next Subtitle, then click OCR, a letter will popup at the bottom thats not recognised, enter it into the field next to it and press enter and it will move onto the next letter.

Just keep going and eventually it will automatically recognise everything and process the rest of the SUP file, it saves this into a file so the next time you load a SUP it will be more efficient at OCR.

Last edited by ArcticFox; 25th June 2008 at 15:24.
ArcticFox is offline   Reply With Quote