Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 31st March 2004, 05:24   #1  |  Link
geffroman

ADDChapter: 1.2.0.2 is OUT

I can't find a thread dedicated to this amazing little tool ADDChapter ... A while back I asked 2COOL for a 2COOL Guide to help me add a blank chapter to the end of a movie to which he out did himself again (Thanks 2COOL). The reason is simple. Every program we use from Rippers to Strippers to Compression software removes P-UPs like they are the worst thing to ever plague mankind. It makes sense because we don't want Hollywood telling us when we can or cannot use the NEXT button on our DVD remote... am I right...? you know I'm right !

There is some fallout from this though. I find that about half the movies from Hollywood have a little 00'00'00'15 chapter at the end of the main title. When the credits of a movie come along and you click next you jump to this little blank screen for 15/30ths of a second and then to the menu(assuming you have already cleaned out the FBI Warnings and Logos that sometimes come after the movie). This is a good thing but as I said only half at best work this way and when this little chapter is not there navigation problems can arise.

OK, you say, what if that tiny chapter is not there? Well, when you click NEXT on your DVD remote, you jump to the NEXT TITLE not the menu, that's what happens. Unfortunately the next Title might be previews that you eliminated by deleting the Previews button on your DVD Menu with MenuEdit or DVDReMake and compressed to Still PICS with DVDSHRINK. You thought those previews were GONE GONE GONE... but when the movie is over you pressed NEXT and got a "NO SOUND" chopped up version of the preview anyway.... Boy are you pissed now...!

In comes ADDChapter to save the day...! This tool, that works in microseconds can add that little 00'00'00'15 chapter to your movie. That way when you get to the credits and press NEXT you go to the tiny blank chapter for 15/30ths of a second and then poof back to the menu...

If you have ever done this add chapter routine manually you know it is a nightmare of time and effort to make it happen. Give ADDChapter a spin. It turns out Mr. jsoto is producing some great tools.

Last edited by geffroman; 20th December 2004 at 02:50.
geffroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2004, 08:08   #2  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Re: ADDChapter: Tool to add chapters to any Title

Quote:
Originally posted by geffroman
In comes ADDChapter to save the day...! This tool, that works in microseconds can add that little 00'00'00'15 chapter to your movie. That way when you get to the credits and press NEXT you go to the tiny blank chapter for 15/100ths of a second and then poof back to the menu...
When you press NEXT, after the 15 frames of blank, you actually start executing the post commands. Whatever is configured in the post commands determines what actually gets played next. Ideally, we all want our DVDs to be authored in a way that the menu really displays after but unfortunately, some come with post logos, FBI warnings, previews,etc. If that's the case, there are alot of methods now to bypass or even replace those post titles with blanks. For bypassing titles, I already have a guide on that. For replacing the titles with blanks...VobBlanker, TitleSet Blanker, MenuEdit, and DVDRemake come into play. Either of these methods will help on jumping to the menus almost immediately when the NEXT button is pressed. Alot of progress have been acheived with new tools now since a year ago and to me, that's very EXCOOLENT! Thanks to jsoto and others for their concern and contributions for the DVD backup community!

Last edited by 2COOL; 31st March 2004 at 08:52.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2004, 08:46   #3  |  Link
Dimad

Re: ADDChapter: Tool to add chapters to any Title

Quote:
little 00'00'00'15 chapter at the end of the main title. When the credits of a movie come along and you click next you jump to this little blank screen for 15/100ths of a second
Just a note: those 15 are frames count, i.e. in PAL it would be 15/25ths of the second, for NTSC 15/30ths.

Q Can machine think?
A Machine should not think. Machine must run.

Dimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2004, 16:47   #4  |  Link
geffroman

I have gone back to the problem I had the other day and tested the heck out of it with several DVDs. There seems to be a minor issue that is still causing me to mock strip to get normal functionality in all scenarios.

I am testing on multi episode DVDs both from Homicide Season Four and CSI Season Three.

I add chapter to each episode by selecting Auto Select or Manual (have done it both ways to be sure). I have tried it with "Append to Last VOB" & "One Cell per VTS" on and off. In all cases I end up with an added working chapter on each episode. If I burn to disc it plays and advances through all chapters in my Sony and my Apex.

Here is the gotcha... In IFOEdit I can advance through all original chapters with the chapter advance button. On the last original chapter the button grays out and cannot be advanced to the new added chapter. However, I can use the chapter pull down and select the NEW added chapter and IFOEdit does advance. If I mock strip the last chapter does NOT gray out the advance button in IFOEdit and can be advanced through to the end.

I should add that the data that has this symptom is fully recognized by DVDReMake which I believe checks VOB and IFO information against one another. However, if I run an EXPORT from DVDReMake of the affected data without doing a mock strip first the symptom is the same. IfoEdit will not advance to the added chapter with the chapter advance button but the chapter pull down can be used to advance to the new chapter. This is also where the chapter time changes from 00'00'00'12 to 00'00'00'15 as I mentioned the other day. If I run a mock strip now it will work fine and I get 00'00'00'15 added chapter in the end.

This affected data also opens and seems to functions in DVDShrink though I did not run it to completion and test that data..

The good news is that I run ADDChapter on a standard movie with one PGC in the title set (Something's Gotta Give) and everything is perfect - NO ISSUE!

My question is one of total compliance. What is different about this new added chapter that could cause this? And where will it cause me a problem?

It is a subtle issue but odd and I just thought I should share what I am seeing.

Last edited by geffroman; 31st March 2004 at 18:04.
Old 31st March 2004, 20:53   #5  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Quote:
The good news is that I run ADDChapter on a standard movie with one PGC in the title set (Something's Gotta Give) and everything is perfect - NO ISSUE!
Like with all tools and methods on the scene, there's still new scenarios that pop-up when a specific DVD is used that doesn't work as plan. There's a few that are 100% bug free. Anyways, jsoto's at a stage that at least he tries to target simple DVDs like single PGCs to make it work at a minimum. Thanks for your feedbacks geffroman and I hope jsoto has the right DVDs to test with and then make necessary updates/improvements.
Old 31st March 2004, 20:57   #6  |  Link
geffroman

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
Like with all tools and methods on the scene, there's still new scenarios that pop-up when a specific DVD is used that doesn't work as plan. There's a few that are 100% bug free. Anyways, jsoto's at a stage that at least he tries to target simple DVDs like single PGCs to make it work at a minimum. Thanks for your feedbacks geffroman and I hope jsoto has the right DVDs to test with and then make necessary updates/improvements.
Even if the answer is on Multi PGCs I have to do Mock Strip it's still much faster than the manual method... I will wait for jsoto to read my post and reply... If this is to be normal I will of course delete my post so as to not give an inappropriate impression to others...
Old 1st April 2004, 23:02   #7  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in answering, but I was traveling during a couple of days and didn't be on-line.

PUOPs can be in IFOs (Menu and/or Titles), which are removed by AddChapter, but also can be in VOBs which are not. I can add a check to do it, but it will take some time to be processed, so a progress bar must be included....

Well, before that I have to finish the new version... (AddChapter now allows to insert custom stills).

jsoto
-
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 00:46   #8  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Well, I only did a few tests (it is too late), so take it with care..., and please help me to test it.

EDIT: LINK DELETED. New link in a post below.

BTW, I think there is something more to do in the case of custom still insertion. If you do a mock strip, IFOEdit deletes the still time.... May be I have to change playback duration in VOB Cell or at least in IFOs.
Does anybody know which things I have to modify additionaly?

jsoto

Last edited by jsoto; 6th April 2004 at 01:12.
Old 2nd April 2004, 01:15   #9  |  Link
geffroman

Quote:
Originally posted by jsoto
Hi all,

AddChapter now allows to insert custom stills.

jsoto
-
Awesome... I'll test tonight... I tried the new version for the multi PGC in a titileset issue and still have the problem with IFOEdit not being able to advance to the added chapter. Are you checking into that... or should we just plan on doing a mock strip for multi PGC..?

NEW INFO: Did more testing on Multi PGC. As you know I have been doing a mock strip on Multi PGC to solve advance button being greyed out in IFOEdit. I thought that was all. After running finished back ups I find strange behavior in DVD Player.

6 disc set CSI...
  • Disc 1 & 2 have 4 episodes in 2 VTS, VTS-1 = 2 PGC & VTS-1 = 2 PGC
    Episode 2 & 4, Second PGC in both VTS stops play at end of episode instead of returning to menu. All episodes share VOB-ID for ADDED chapter.
  • Disc 3 has 4 episodes in 1 VTS, VTS-1 = 4 PGC
    Episode 2 & 4, Second PGC in both VTS stops play at end of episode instead of returning to menu. All episodes share VOB-ID for ADDED chapter.
  • Disc 4 has 4 episodes in 4 VTS no multi PGC to test
  • Disc 5 has 4 episodes in 1 VTS, VTS-1 = 4 PGC
    Surprise and maybe the clue... All episodes return to menu properly. Each episode has it's own VOB ID for added chapter.
Will now re-do Disc 1, 2 & 3. Strip added chapter and test in player. If sucessful I will re-add chapters using separate VOB ID for each episode and retest in DVD Player.

Update: Success... I stripped added chapters from Disc 1. I ran ADDChapter again. This time I made sure "Use One Cell per VTS" was OFF. I did have to run a mock strip but when it was done it played perfectly in DVD Player. So, Multiple PGCs do NOT like added chapters to share a single VOB ID.

Looking forward to info on mock stripping issue for multi PGCs.

UPDATE - 12APR04: I retested CSI Season 3 Disc 2 with latest ADDChapter 1.1.0.3 with success. There are two multi PGC Title Sets. Both added chapter successfully and functioned perfectly WITHOUT mock stripping in IFOEdit, WinDVD & DVD Players (Sony & Apex).

Great work jsoto!

Last edited by geffroman; 12th April 2004 at 23:57.
Old 6th April 2004, 01:11   #10  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Hi all,
Found a bug in AddChapter, fixed in 1.1.0.2
- program map entry didn't follow word boundary rules
(one byte per program, pad to word boundary with zero)
BTW, I don't believe this bug was the cause of Multi-PGC problems.
Same links:
AddChapter_exe.zip
AddChapter_src.zip
jsoto
Old 12th April 2004, 17:53   #11  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Hi all,
Found a couple of bugs in AddChapter 1.1.0.2, introduced in v1.1.0.0. Fixed in 1.1.0.3
- VTS_VOBU_ADMAP table filled with wrong sectors for the new cells, except for the first one
- VTS_VOBU_ADMAP wrong lastbyte if "use only one blank" was checked.
Same links and the new ones:
AddChapter_exe.zip
AddChapter_src.zip

Thanks to geffroman for point them out.

jsoto

Last edited by jsoto; 12th April 2004 at 17:55.
Old 12th April 2004, 23:57   #12  |  Link
geffroman

UPDATE - 12APR04: I retested CSI Season 3 Disc 2 with latest ADDChapter 1.1.0.3 with success. There are two multi PGC Title Sets. Both added chapter successfully and functioned perfectly WITHOUT mock stripping in IFOEdit, WinDVD & DVD Players (Sony & Apex).

Will try several other multi PGCs today but looks excellent so far.

Great work jsoto!
Old 5th May 2004, 18:35   #13  |  Link
blueboyec

Can you use addchapter to replace the last few chapters (end credits)?

This would be great.
blueboyec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2004, 19:38   #14  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

No, you cannot.

Addchapter adds but not replaces.

jsoto
Old 6th May 2004, 01:29   #15  |  Link
geffroman

Quote:
Originally posted by blueboyec
Can you use addchapter to replace the last few chapters (end credits)?

This would be great.
Use DVDReMake
Old 23rd May 2004, 22:40   #16  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

AddChapter 1.1.0.4

Changelog
Vers 1.1.0.4 (22-05-2004)
Added: Ability to create different resolution and AR blank cells.

IMO, its really a bug. DAR, format and resolution of video cannot be changed in the same VTS. So, the blank cell should have the same attributes. Please note AddChapter will not check the custom cell attributes.

www.posunplugged.com/jsoto
www.iespana.es/jsoto

jsoto

EDIT:
I've also modified the tool BlankVob to include the new set of blank cells.

Last edited by jsoto; 23rd May 2004 at 22:56.
Old 17th December 2004, 04:03   #17  |  Link
geffroman

I have been having a problem with ADDChapter on some DVDs.

Sometimes the last original chapter will not forward to the new chapter and the player just sits there and hangs... I can hit the NEXT button and things move on as they should.

This occur on Sony players as they are the pickiest about sticking to standards. But it does not happen on other players like Apex that seem to push on even if data is not perfect.

I recently had this problem with Smallville Season 3...

Last edited by geffroman; 29th December 2004 at 01:08.
Old 17th December 2004, 08:54   #18  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Yes.... Sony, I know, I saw the same problem in VobBlanker, Sony players need the discontinuity bit in category cell byte.

IŽll fix it.

jsoto
Old 17th December 2004, 21:19   #19  |  Link
mrslacker
Junior Slacker

My Sony drives me crazy. It is practically a standards checker. It was sensitive to all the subtle bugs in early DVD-RB too. I hear Denon is quite good with inconsistencies and deinterlacing perfectly under most circumstances, including bad authoring.
mrslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2004, 23:24   #20  |  Link
geffroman

The good thing about Sony is that it does help sort out bugs and helps me get things RIGHT... This way I know my discs will work no matter what maching I use in any room in the house...