Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th September 2014, 15:16   #27381  |  Link
tuco76

@ikakun: Thanks man, thats some quite detailed and sharp input! Especially the AVS link looks interesting!
(BTW, I actually meant which version you used prior, 14.2? Anyway, thanks again this head ups is most appreciated!
tuco76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 18:20   #27382  |  Link
ikakun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco76 View Post
@ikakun:
BTW, I actually meant which version you used prior, 14.2?
I was on 13.12 when madshi put NNEDI3 in madVr. The NNEDI3(which use OpenCL) performance on AMD GPUs(which supposed to be better at it) was horrible that time. Madshi found out that it was because of the OpenCL <-> D3D interop(correct me if I'm wrong). The OpenCL Error Diffusion Dithering also suffers from it so madshi goes Direct Compute on Error Diffusion Dithering. Eventually, madshi found a workaround on that interop problem, and by then, I was able to use NNEDI3.

When 14.2 came out, I immediately tried it. Unfortunately, performance for NNEDI3 was bad. Then I rolled back to 13.12. Then there's 14.4 but much worst so I revert back again. And then on 14.6, I was glad because even though the improvement from 13.12 is negligible(at least to me), It has some new features that my monitor can benefit from.

So by then I'm on 14.6 beta. But I think I'll try the 14.7 rc3 beta tomorrow if I have time. Though I doubt there will be an improvement.
Old 26th September 2014, 19:28   #27383  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
Hi

I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 and now i have a problem with madvr. I always used exlusive mode because to my eyes it gives me better PQ than without it, dont know why. But now with windows 8.1 when i go FSE i feel something wrong, while is not shown on CTRL-J, everything is fine there, but when people move or faces move quick i feel its not smooth like it was in windows 7 with madvr FSE and aero disabled... In windows 8.1 i cant disable aero or wtv desktop vsync in use and i think its competing with madvr own vsync...

Any help?

TIA

I dont have this problem with EVR, but i want madvr...
No problem here with windows 8.1.1 and FSE but you can disable desktop composition on windows 8 with builtin resource manager or process explorer/hacker
1. kill explorer.exe
2. suspend winlogon.exe
3. kill dwm.exe
4. start explorer.exe

To enable desktop composition, resume winlogon.exe

Last edited by turbojet; 26th September 2014 at 19:32.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 04:56   #27384  |  Link
TheRyuu
warpsharpened

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
^ cyberbeing is correct. Is there any practical benefit (worth mentioning) to have these flags enabled?
That's the wrong way to look at it, it should be the other way around. Unless you have a very good reason things like ASLR, DEP, stack protection (/GS) should always be on. There's a reason they all default to on with any remotely modern msvc compiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
Hi

I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 and now i have a problem with madvr. I always used exlusive mode because to my eyes it gives me better PQ than without it, dont know why. But now with windows 8.1 when i go FSE i feel something wrong, while is not shown on CTRL-J, everything is fine there, but when people move or faces move quick i feel...
Are you sure it's not just in your head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
No problem here with windows 8.1.1 and FSE but you can disable desktop composition on windows 8 with builtin resource manager or process explorer/hacker
1. kill explorer.exe
2. suspend winlogon.exe
3. kill dwm.exe
4. start explorer.exe

To enable desktop composition, resume winlogon.exe
Doesn't 8+ fallback to software compositing if hardware acceleration doesn't work (i.e. you can't disable it on 8+)?

Last edited by TheRyuu; 27th September 2014 at 05:02.
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 08:17   #27385  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

I'm running SVP with madVR and it's working really well, but there's one black/white 360p video that is lagging in 1080p. Why is this video lagging with madVR? I don't see what would be more GPU-demanding than the other videos in my library. The only difference is that it is mostly black and white. If I slightly reduce the size of the window, it is playing fine so I don't think the issue is with SVP. It's probably with madVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KN_nyGehek

My settings for SD videos:
Noise reduction: Off
Chroma upscaling: Jinc (3 taps) + AR
Image doubling: all activated with 32 neurous
Image upscaling: Jinc (3 taps) + AR
Image downscaling: Catmull-Rom + AR + LL

These settings work fine for every other 480p video I have on 1080p display, and ALL videos on 768p display. It's just that one video that lags.

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 06:40.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 08:34   #27386  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
Why is this video lagging with madVR?
Learn madVR OSD. Its all there. Untill that you will always be asking such questions.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 08:50   #27387  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:

These settings work fine for every other 480p video I have on 1080p display, and ALL videos on 768p display. It's just that one video that lags.
This doesn't tell us everything.
By default (if enabled) image quadrupling is working for scaling factors 3x or higher, so here's your problem - 360p to 1080p is exactly 3x scaling, so quadrupling gets activated.
With those setting the 360p gets doubled to 720p then it gets doubled again (quadrupled) to 1440p then it gets downscaled to 1080p. It is a lot of work, but that's how you have it set up.
I propose you disable quadrupling and see if there is a noticeable difference in image quality, it might not be worth the performance hit.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 09:05   #27388  |  Link
tuco76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikakun View Post
So by then I'm on 14.6 beta. But I think I'll try the 14.7 rc3 beta tomorrow if I have time. Though I doubt there will be an improvement.
Ok thanks! btw I messed up posting my driver nfo
I'm running that 14.7 rc3 beta you going to test, I wrote in a hurry
from my GPU-Z nfo driver vs. 14.200 Catalyst 14.7 sry.

Unfortunately, cant contribute for comparison due to my old HD 5470, next to all benefits mainly for better GPUs imo.
CCC itself runs all stable here on 14.7, [acceptin/switcing settings hasn't always been that sharp and reliable].

Nevertheless, I'm interested what you guys hit with new drivers/cards, gathering nfo for my next buying decision
(not even sure if AMD thogh )
Old 27th September 2014, 10:34   #27389  |  Link
James Freeman

Does madVR read the embedded icc profile in Jpeg image with adobeRGB profile so that I can use madVR as a color managed image viewer?
I can see that is does, but is it done correctly like photoshop?

BTW, I have to pause MPC to see the image.

Last edited by James Freeman; 27th September 2014 at 10:46.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 11:15   #27390  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Does madVR read the embedded icc profile in Jpeg image with adobeRGB profile so that I can use madVR as a color managed image viewer?
madVR does not support ICC. Maybe your demuxer/decoder does and converts the image to a suitable colorspace before handing it to madVR, but I would find that surprising.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 13:26   #27391  |  Link
aufkrawall

Still no one compared performance of 780 Ti vs. 980 in madVR?
Anandtech tested 970, but not one single word about it.
Maybe I'll get one 980 next week, but feel free to be first.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 14:27   #27392  |  Link
tuco76

Concerning Disable Desktop Composition, whats your take/experiences on this statement (from jriver MadVR guide):

Quote:
Disable desktop composition (...)Back in the early days of madVR this may have been necessary on some systems, but I don't recommend enabling this option now. Typically the main thing that happens is that it breaks v-sync and you get screen tearing. (horizontal lines over the video)
Might disabling Deskt.Comp. really do rather harm than any good on current MadVR version?
source:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80253.0
Old 27th September 2014, 15:13   #27393  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

At least on Windows 8 and above, the desktop compositor works quite flawless with video playback, and I've never had a single issue with it.
If you worry, you can just run FSE mode, and it has no influence on the video in any case.
Old 27th September 2014, 15:32   #27394  |  Link
Soukyuu

I don't think you can even disable desktop composition in windows 8+ anymore.
Old 27th September 2014, 16:18   #27395  |  Link
jkauff

I'm running the latest update to Win 8.1, and I get great results in both FSE and windowed mode. No need to disable desktop composition.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 18:43   #27396  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
I'm running SVP with madVR and it's working really well, but there's one black/white 360p video that is lagging in 1080p. Why is this video lagging with madVR? I don't see what would be more GPU-demanding than the other videos in my library. The only difference is that it is mostly black and white. If I slightly reduce the size of the window, it is playing fine so I don't think the issue is with SVP. It's probably with madVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KN_nyGehek

Besides the neurons (NNEDI3) being a possible issue as someone previously touched on you could try having don't render frames when fade in/out is detected in the madVR trade quality for performance checked. When it comes to black and white video the system may mistake shades of black/white/grey, and when it changes from one to the other as a fade effect. (Beside that the video you linked does have fading occurring in it).
Old 29th September 2014, 18:46   #27397  |  Link
whitestar999

According to this link:
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-25...Radeon-HD-7770
7770 has lower memory bandwidth(72gb/s,i read somewhere that 80gb/s is minimum for smooth nnedi3) but is leading in rest of the parameters like floating point performance,pixel rate etc so for madvr which is better as both are available at same price here.I need the card only for madvr(& anime) as i don't play games on pc.
whitestar999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 04:15   #27398  |  Link
huhn

I don't know how this page works but both card use a cape verde XT so both are the same cards so these numbers doesn't make any sense they are just work.

the r7 250 has an oland XT chip not the r7 250X.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 08:24   #27399  |  Link
Asmodian

I wouldn't get an HD 7770 or R7 250X for a (high end) madVR HTPC. AMD quotes 72 GB/s for the R7 250X as well as the 7770. It is the R7 260X that is at 104 GB/s.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 18:19   #27400  |  Link
whitestar999

The info provided in gpuboss link is wrong,they are showing R7 260X under label R7 250X.Well then R7 250X looks better choice as it is newer rehash version.I know it is not good enough for a high end HTPC but then i don't have the hardware(screen,calorimeter & whatnot) or source(1080p60p/i videos or bluray player) worthy for a high end htpc hence this choice of cards.If i were a gamer then it would be different but considering my modest collection & hardware,getting anything above R7 250X is not worth it.
whitestar999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling