Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 31st October 2018, 18:54   #27961  |  Link
Glarioo

Jdobbs... You can be the captain, Sailing into destiny, Closer tot the heart...
Glarioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 19:08   #27962  |  Link
AmigaFuture

It's time for a new BD burner - not player. I have an ASUS internal Optical that's having a lot of challenges. Did the disc cleaning, and all..that but it's starting to have more problems with burning DL and ejecting the tray. I use the same media, and that hasn't changed. So I think it's time for something new. I trust you all here except for Lathe. Ha! Nahh... Ha. Any recommendations? I use MKVs on HD and BDs at times, but girlfriend still (and so do I) loves the menus and her older BD player doesn't support USB. Which is cool with us.
Old 31st October 2018, 19:09   #27963  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Oy.....fantastic song, but please pick something further into the vault. HAH!
Old 31st October 2018, 21:45   #27964  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
Not a method I use but I understand. Cool. Windoze 7 Pro 64-Bit.
Then I do not know why you are having trouble, while I, and I suspect others, do not. I'm not trouble free, just different troubles.
MrVideo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 21:48   #27965  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
So I think it's time for something new. Any recommendations?
I use Pioneer in all of my computers.
Old 31st October 2018, 22:47   #27966  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Then I do not know why you are having trouble, while I, and I suspect others, do not. I'm not trouble free, just different troubles.
I'm wondering why it is also. I'll check with VMWare Workstation soon...Perhaps there is something else causing a problem in the background. Either that or I'll check with my Notebook soon since I don't have any frizzles installed there.

The LG reviews through Amazon are....Okay. I'll check Pioneer. Does your Pioneer support CD ripping and checking? My ASUS never did that, but I do use a Sony drive for that which functions great for it. But would be a great bonus.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 31st October 2018 at 22:50.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 00:00   #27967  |  Link
omegaman7

Amiga, I have a Pioneer BD-R-209D that I've had more than a year. Zero coasters. Though it's seen maybe 20 or 30 in that time.

I had O-K luck with LG. After about a hundred burns each on the two of them, they crapped out burns, but still read ok. But I currently only trust the Pioneer to burn.
Ugh... off to work.

Good luck

Edited: sentence structure.

Last edited by omegaman7; 1st November 2018 at 05:56.
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 02:56   #27968  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Luck doesn't exist but I understand your meaning. Good to seeeee you again!

I'm very much considering a Pioneer next. Zero coasters, but has seen 20 or 30 in that time?? The last seems to contradict the previous. Is that what you meant?

I'm noting LG Burners aren't....great quality, hmm.. But then many of them are "cheaper" drives. I'm going to go mid-range this time. 100 to 150$ or so, I think.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 1st November 2018 at 05:00.
Old 1st November 2018, 03:50   #27969  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I use Pioneer in all of my computers.
Same here... never an issue.
Old 1st November 2018, 05:26   #27970  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Does your Pioneer support CD ripping and checking?
Third party software is used to do CD/DVD/BD ripping. There is nothing the drive can do to stop it. Checking?
Old 1st November 2018, 05:56   #27971  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
Luck doesn't exist but I understand your meaning. Good to seeeee you again!

I'm very much considering a Pioneer next. Zero coasters, but has seen 20 or 30 in that time?? The last seems to contradict the previous. Is that what you meant?

I'm noting LG Burners aren't....great quality, hmm.. But then many of them are "cheaper" drives. I'm going to go mid-range this time. 100 to 150$ or so, I think.
The Pioneer hasn't seen many since I've owned it. About 20 - 30. I guess It's "My precious" lol

My LG may be fine, but I see a slight hiccup, and I don't like trusting them anymore.

No contradiction, but I see that my sentence structure could have made that easier to interpret.

I try to check-in every now and again

Last edited by omegaman7; 1st November 2018 at 06:12.
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 06:58   #27972  |  Link
Rich86

I have a LG BD burner in my tower, and a LG slim drive in an external case for my laptop. Both of those drives have been outstanding performers.
I've been using Ritek 4x inkjet printable BD-Rs for a long time in those drives with no coasters and excellent longevity. I burn them at 4x.
Writing software is exclusively ImgBurn.
For BD-RE: I have a handful of Fujifilm BD-REs I have been using for years in my LG burner reliably.
I also picked up a cakebox of Ritek BD-REs for cheap a while ago. They work ok, but tend to get fussy in my burner when pushing them to their limits (data size wise).

Last edited by Rich86; 3rd November 2018 at 21:29.
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 07:01   #27973  |  Link
Rich86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
My post was not clear enough I think . . I was using the 1080P BD disc from my 4K set - not the 4K disc.

Problem: Converting BD to DVD - BDRB release 60.04
I did another test run. I installed 60.04
Title: "Ant-Man and the Wasp" - 1080P BD disc out of my 4K USA release set ripped to hard disc to input to BDRB.
I selected the main title playlist to output to DVD5, choosing the 1st english lossless audio stream, and 1st english subtitles to include.
The program extracted streams to the Workfiles just fine, but when it entered the reencoding stage it immediately failed.
I reinstalled 50.25 - it initiated and ran everything perfectly fine on this title creating the DVD5 with no problems.
I did another test run with the 1080P BD from my "Skyscraper" 4K combo set choosing 1 english audio track and 1 english subtitle. I did not bother trying 60.04 - and went straight to 50.25. It failed towards the end of "Starting to MPLEX":
[21:32:59]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
- [21:32:59] Building ALTERNATE OUTPUT Structure
- [21:32:59] Converting 1 subtitles to DVD format.
- [21:33:46] Starting MPLEX.
- ERROR in attempt to mux (MPLEX)
[21:35:37] - Failed to REBUILD
Then I used 50.25 to make a 50gb movie only BD from the source files including the engish audio and 1 subtitle. That ran fine and the resulting files play fine.
I tried making a DVD from the resulting BD movie folder that BDRB had created and it failed in the same manner/place described above.
Then I tried it again with no subtitles included . . still failed the same way.
Then I tried this one in multiAVCHD and it finished, but there is a huge out of sync between video and audio in the resulting DVD video. It looks like the video jumps frames in the beginning, maybe throwing off the A/V sync.
The source BD files ripped from my disc and created by BDRB 50.25 play fine.

Update:
Making a DVD from the "Skyscraper" BD - how I got it to work.
This title has an english Dolby Atmos track and no lossy english audio tracks other than commentaries.
I ripped the BD to hard disc (DVDFab64). I then created a movie only BD50 folder/files using BDRB and forcing BDRB to convert the audio to lossy Dolby Digital by unchecking everything under "Audio Encoding Options" in Setup. Then I used BDRB to create a DVD from those BD folder/files successfully.
It appears the process to create a DVD from a BD in BDRB cannot handle the lossless audio tracks in some titles?

Last edited by Rich86; 3rd November 2018 at 21:41.
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 12:40   #27974  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
3.1 If you are running Windows 8 or Windows 10 you may need to run REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT. In the installation folder (you selected in step 3), right-click on the file "REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT" and select "Run as Administrator". You should only have to do this once.
The REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT does not work if you select "run as administrator" as it will then search for the dll in your windir. In order to have it always work please change the command to
Code:
regsvr32 "%~dp0MSCOMCTL.OCX"
Brackets may be required if there is a blank in the path.

Thank you very much for you work!
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 14:01   #27975  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Not needed, is the bat file command doesn't run as administrator, run BDRB executable as an administrator as specified in the setup instructions.

That's what I needed to do on win 10, there's ZERO need to change the path.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 15:55   #27976  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Quote:
It's time for a new BD burner - not player. I have an ASUS internal Optical that's having a lot of challenges. Did the disc cleaning, and all..that but it's starting to have more problems with burning DL and ejecting the tray. I use the same media, and that hasn't changed. So I think it's time for something new. I trust you all here except for Lathe. Ha! Nahh... Ha. Any recommendations? I use MKVs on HD and BDs at times, but girlfriend still (and so do I) loves the menus and her older BD player doesn't support USB. Which is cool with us.
I have used LGs and ASUS in the past. LG seems to have better firmwares. Asus have rebadged LGs inside so build quality is the same, but their firmwares are lacking in compability with different brands of blanks. Have had hiccups with all of them until I couldn' be bothered anymore and went with Pioneer BDR-S09XLT. I wish I did that sooner as I have been thinking about switching to Pioneer before.

So my advice is this: Don't think, just buy a Pioneer
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 23:14   #27977  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Third party software is used to do CD/DVD/BD ripping. There is nothing the drive can do to stop it. Checking?
I get that. Some drives are better for CD (Audio) ripping than others. My ASUS BDs...not very good for it at all with CDs that *might* have some micro scratches. But my Sony DVD/CD drive does well with making attempts including passing C2 errors along via Easy CD-DA Extractor or Exact Audio Copy. Error reporting is what I meant by checking.

As for BD's..I have been reading about riplock..that's new to me. I guess I'm not well enough in the Know now these days. There's a slowing that happens when ripping is noticed with some drives. Looks like the Pioneers don't have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I have a LG BD burner in my tower, and a LG slim drive in an external case for my laptop. Both of those drives have been outstanding performers.
I've been using Ritek 4x inkjet printable BD-Rs for a long time in those drives with no coasters and excellent longevity.
Writing software is exclusively ImgBurn.
I wondered if those Ritek's are any good. Mostly I've been using Sony BD-RE's if we want to watch from BDs, and I've been wondering why they're Hit-N-Miss. I was buying Digitor for BD-Rs and they never fail, but the price was up a little more for the RE's by them than other BD-RE's... So, I avoided that route.

I took some Sony BD-RE's I've burned to someone I know who has the same LG player and they read pretty well. HMM!! I'm going to disassemble my LG player and clean the lens better than the CD cleaner does and check if that improves things.

I'll keep the Digistor and Ritek's in mind. Appreciate the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post
I have used LGs and ASUS in the past. LG seems to have better firmwares. Asus have rebadged LGs inside so build quality is the same, but their firmwares are lacking in compability with different brands of blanks. Have had hiccups with all of them until I couldn' be bothered anymore and went with Pioneer BDR-S09XLT. I wish I did that sooner as I have been thinking about switching to Pioneer before.

So my advice is this: Don't think, just buy a Pioneer
Yep, that's where I'm heading.. I'm really thinking a combination of media and Optical drive are the problems here.

Great Tagline. Ha! Girlfriend said, "You have a B-day anniversary coming...so choose what you want to do." - Something I'm normally not at all interested in celebrating anymore; prefer every day being special rather than 1 or a couple through the year. But, she knows how to surprise and that can be very fun.

Appreciate the replies, all.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 1st November 2018 at 23:27.
Old 2nd November 2018, 18:11   #27978  |  Link
AmigaFuture

I'm starting to think my ASUS BD Burner has had problems for a while with media. When I burn to BD-RE (SL/DL) sometimes different video parts, not only the movie, have pauses in them. Such as an error of some kind is encountered. The video can seem to be paused while the Optical Player is attempting to get the data. Once it does, there's a short burst to get back into sync and then play resumes as normal. A while ago I thought maybe it's BD-RB not rebuilding correctly for some discs. But others would have reported that, for sure. So, it's either the media or the drive or both.

Opened my Player and cleaned the lens and it's accepting discs again, BD-REs and original but some of those video glitches remain with BD-RE, and I wondered if any of you encountered any of that from now to a long, long time ago? It's burner related and media, since JD also commented not any problems with his Pioneer. I'm going to locate one of the Pioneers mentioned and it should solve it all...and I'll keep my BD-RE for when I get it and check it. But for wonderment, I pose that question.
Old 2nd November 2018, 19:01   #27979  |  Link
omegaman7

Amiga, I recall having problems with a Maxell DVD+RW. If I didn't do a complete erasure of the disc, there were problems. Verbatim never gave me the problem. But perhaps it was the burner that didn't like the media. I have a BD-RE from Sony that worked once, and never again. I think whatever data was burned to it, caused problems for acknowledgement of the disc from any reader at the time. I'm not sure if I threw it away, or it's simply stored.
Finicky things, media/burners lol
Old 2nd November 2018, 20:22   #27980  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Oops.. I've been using Verbatim BD-RE DL for a while now with my LG BD Player, and ASUS BD Burner.. Switch over to Pioneer should solve it all, going by the replies here and reviews at Amazon. I'll check my not so favorite Store BestBuy to see about getting it locally. A lot do great Stores have gone bye, bye since Amazon got huge.

Yeah, I've been checking the reformat idea also since yesterday and before. Not any improvements. Sad Face. LOL.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 2nd November 2018 at 20:24.