Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th June 2016, 03:38   #38281  |  Link
Jtacdf

No problems here with madvr v0.90.20 and amd driver 16.6.1.
Those using newer amd gpu might try downloading radeon mod and disable crimson power saving.
Old 11th June 2016, 04:45   #38282  |  Link
robl45

Tried a test file of 3d mkv mvc tonight. Using latest lav and .9 madvr mpc-hc promptly crashed and I got a box onscreen saying the program terminated. Any ideas?
robl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 14:11   #38283  |  Link
Olivier C.

@madshi :

Command line seems not to work.

I found this quite old open ticket :
http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=210

Do you plan to fix it in a near future ?

Thx
Olivier C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 15:37   #38284  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
Tried a test file of 3d mkv mvc tonight. Using latest lav and .9 madvr mpc-hc promptly crashed and I got a box onscreen saying the program terminated. Any ideas?
So I tested again and this time it did start and Lav showed it using the mvc decoder. Of course my 9 year old computer was maxed out on cpu and it was choppy, but it was working. However it displayed it side by side on mpc which I thought was odd. When I set my projector to side by side mode. The 3d did work just fine, is this the way its supposed to work? Also the first time I tried it, I opened the file in KODI and passed to mpc-hc. That is when mpc crashed, the second time I opened in mpc directly. Is there some reason it would crash like that?

Below is the sample file I used.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx...ew?usp=sharing
Old 11th June 2016, 17:28   #38285  |  Link
shafat777

Long time fan and follower of this thread. Recently signed up.

I just purchased a 1440p monitor and now all of my 1080p blurays needs to be upscaled to fit my screen. Since madvr does a fine job in both up and downscaling, would it be wise to double luma and chroma of the 1080p movie using nneid3 and then using ssim to downscale? OR should i just let jinc take care of luma and the usual nneid3 for chroma?

I am having a hard time figuring out which one will technically give me a better result. Any help would be appreciated.
shafat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 18:28   #38286  |  Link
EncodedMango

I usually watch videos in a smaller window(720) instead of Fullscreen(1080) for multi-tasking purposes so I never noticed this before but I tried a few things fullscreen recently and all of them have a weird minute but noticeable lag when using FSE mode. As soon as I disable FSE the playback takes the 'normal' speed. I tried messing with all other settings and FSE turned out to be the culprit, nothing else helped. There were no dropped frames, delayed frames or any other issues.

Unrelated to above, for rendering performance should I care more about avg rendering time or max? Sometimes the max seems to shoot up high but avg remains below v-sync.
EncodedMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 18:54   #38287  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Thanks for the changes, is there now a grain detection implemented for deringing?
Yes, something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Result in this cartoon looks very clear and also otherwise well to me. Look at how enormous the difference with super-xbr sharpness 150 is

Looks like pure magic is going on.
Glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
1) could you please add tags for borders cropping? some TV logos only need a few lines of cropping to fully disappear and I'd like to nail this once and for all.
Maybe some time in the future.

Quote:
3) hardly worth a heart attack but why does the latter jump from 5 to 7? Eventually I got a video that would ideally need 6 ^^
What is "the latter"?

Quote:
4) TV broadcasters like to mess with levels and even more AR, there's no tag for the latter according to this as it would appear? I've seen many 2.35 music videos airing as 1.78
Managing AR is usually the duty of the media player. The media player usually has options to overwrite the AR, which is then passed to madVR, and madVR does what the media player says.

Quote:
Sorry for the double post and I do realize that I'm extremely late to the party but I think a few more lines of cropping woulda been in good order?

Please advise whether that'd make a sample useful to anything as many music videos on that channel end up with that white bar in the top right corner
Euw, that's ugly. Atm I don't really have time for this. Maybe you can ask again a couple months later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
if I have Bluray 3D which I use . which is not SidebySide or Top&Buttom , it is Active 3D TV with Nvidia 3DTV software. I can't make it to show actual 3D when using 3D on AUTO in madvr with 3DTV Enabled. it says D3D11 Windowed or Fullscreen (3D) but there is nothing being visible as 3D. my TV goes to 3D mode when it detect supported 3D software or Nvidia 3DTV enabled, and Potplayer goes to 3D mode, but again nothing is visible as 3D , just plain 2D. can I fix that ? I can't watch the movie in PowerDVD because I need subtitles and the movie doesn't have subtitles and I can't add to powerdvd srt subtitles, is there other way for that too ? in PowerDVD it works properly, 3D is visible and pretty much perfect.
Is it an official unmodified (not remuxed or changed in any way) 3D Blu-Ray? Does 3D work at all for you with madVR with any 3D Blu-Rays? Which desktop resolution do you have? And is 3D enabled in your OS settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
Can the anti halo algorithm address the halo generated by SVP?
I don't know, but I would guess the SVP halos are probably too wide. Not sure, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
About that cleanup feature: I was pleasantly surprised to realize that madVR is apparently analyzing the image to decide if cleaning is required or not - you're saying that's what it's meant to be doing, right?

I definitely don't want any unnecessary cropping with high quality sources whereas with some DVD rips (Monty Python's Flying Circus being a prime example) I need to set the cropping to at least 3 or more for all borders.

Initially I kind of assumed all content would get brutally cropped, whether needed or not. But I have to say I really like the versatility of the zoom functions and that's saying a lot because previously I was biased against "any kind of zooming or cropping" to preserve the original aspect ratio.
The whole "zoom control" section is based on careful analyzation of the actual content to make sure cropping is only done if/where needed. Of course such automatic intelligent algorithms can sometimes fail, but for my own needs (mainly detecting different movie aspect ratios and scaling them accordingly for my CIH front projection setup) it seems to work very well, though.

Quote:
What are the practical differences between the tags levels, blacklevel and brightness in correcting washed out blacks in an encode that otherwise has flawless PQ? Mediainfo reports "limited" but the black level is definitely off. Which tag would be the preferred option to fix this?
Usually the double and triple expanded tags should be the best choice, unless it's only the black level and not the white level which is washed out. In that case setting blacklevel would be preferable. "brightness" doesn't change either black nor white level, it changes the gamma curve to make the whole image look more or less bright, while keeping black and white level the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppaul View Post
After cropping black bars, it seems possible to place txt/image subtitles over/under video area with potplayer's built-in subtitle renderer. I only enabled two options in madVR settings: "automatically detect hard coded black bars", "crop black bars" and let potplayer control the position of subtitle. It works well but there is one thing cannot be resolved within potplayer. The conflicting option of potplayer is to reserve two lines for bottom margin for subtitles. Could you look into the issue?
So what happens? How is it not working? Maybe you can make a screenshot of how the resulting image looks like, and draw into the image to show how you WANT it to look like, so that I can see what you mean. Right now I'm not sure.

In any case, I highly doubt there's anything I can do about it. The potplayer internal subtitle renderer is responsible for all the drawing, and it can get all information it needs from me (it just needs to ask). So this will probably have to be fixed by the potplayer developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
I am happy using the deringing option, which I have globally enabled for all content. The good thing is it doesn’t do any harm when the content doesn’t have any obvious ringing.

Quote:
1) How does blacklevel work exactly - it compresses/expands the range of blacks below/above 16?
Looking at a grayscale, it makes the whole grayscale darker, but white stays untouched, and gray tones near white are changed only a little, while gray tones near black are changed a lot.

Quote:
2) When correcting a washed-out picture using blacklevel, should whitelevel or some other parameter be adjusted too to compensate (and if yes, how/why exactly in relation to blacklevel?)
I can't say, it depends on the source. Usually, if the black level is washed out, so is the white level. But it doesn't always have to be that way.

Quote:
I'm on the latest madVR and Kodi DSplayer but no luck.

I have no idea if it should matter but anyway I even tried setting the whole chain to full RGB (I usually have GPU on full while madVR, Kodi & TV are on limited). OSD tells me levels are changed but picture looks the same. Which, like I said, seems very odd as the blacklevel tag does work. Could the "culprit" be Kodi, which has its own range setting?
Sounds strange. Don't know why it doesn't show any affect for you - it should! It could depend on a lot of things, e.g. whether you use DXVA decoding, scaling or deinterlacing, or on some madVR settings. It's unlikely to be Kodi related, but I can't say for sure. Maybe you can figure out which setting is reponsible for it working or not working. If you do, please let me know. For all other users (and me) it seems to work, so it's hard for me to figure out what's going on on your side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I have an odd but very specific bug to report. Using the latest AMD drivers (5/23 I believe), madVR v0.90.20, and HD7750.

When playing back 1080i content (either regular or film deinterlacing, doesn't matter), I get 1 line pixel flickering around all 4 borders, unless "use a separate device for presentation" is checked. This only affects D3D9 exclusive mode. Windowed and D3D11 are fine.

Edit: It's not just 1080i29.97 videos, it's also doing it on 720p29.97 videos.
Sounds like a driver or hardware issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Also, NNEDI3 isn't working at all.
Try reinstalling the GPU drivers. Or try a different GPU driver version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
1) "display" shows the refresh rate adjusted for the video clock deviation measured against the system clock
There's no adjustment for video clock deviation. "display" simply shows the number of VSyncs per second, measured by the system clock.

Quote:
2) "clock deviation" shows the deviation for the audio clock, again measured against the system clock.
Yes.

Quote:
I'll make an example of what we found for a 59.940 video content played back with bitstreaming audio at 59.940 display refresh rate.

Display: 59.94174
Clock Deviation: +0.00276%
1 frame drop every 3.17 hours
movie 59.940 fps

audio clock deviation 27.6ppm
video clock deviation: (59.94174 - 59.94) / 59.94 = 29.03ppm
total deviation: video clock dev - audio clock dev = 28.86ppm - 27.6ppm = 1.43ppm

frames in 3.17 hours = (3600 * 59.940) * 3.17 = 684,035.28

1 frame dropped every 684,035.28 frames. Accuracy of 1 / 684,035 = 0.0000014619, that is 1.46ppm (I guess this is well within the margin of error in madVR approximations once it reaches the x.xx hours stage).

The above tells me that you are using the approximation of 59.940 in the internal calculations, and not the 60/1.001 value. Is this correct?
If using the 60/1.001 value we would have:

audio clock deviation 27.6ppm
video clock deviation: (59.94174 - (60/1.001)) / (60/1.001) = 28.03ppm
total deviation: video clock dev - audio clock dev = 28.03ppm - 27.6ppm = 0.43ppm

frames in 3.17 hours = (3600 * (60/1.001)) * 3.17 = 684,035.96

1 frame dropped every 684,036 frames. Accuracy of 1 / 684,036 = 0.0000014619, that is again 1.46ppm

0.43ppm clock difference audio/video seems too low if compared to what drop/repeats at every 3.17 hours indicate, while 1.43 is very similar.
So, are you using 59.940 for internal calculations? Does this hold true for 23.976 as well?

Sorry, I know we are reaching the human limits of geekiness here... but we would really love to fully understand the underlying math

I also can't understand why my clock deviation sits constantly at about 0.00276% at 59.940 refresh rate while going down to 0.00242% at 23.976 refresh rate. It's the audio clock measured against the system clock. Why should display refresh rate influence the deviation? I have been checking and checking but the difference between the two refresh rates stays there... It's audio and video through HDMI on a GTX660, if it matters.
Ehm, I'm getting headaches thinking about this. From what I've seen, you guys have all this deeply discussed in some other forum, I don't think I can add much information to that. And I really don't want to dive into all this right now. I've dozens of posts to reply to, and not much time, sorry.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 18:55   #38288  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
Thanks for the new version, the tweaked deringing algo is definitely better. Much less artifacts and deringing is still very powerful. Ok sometimes it removes some details but a lot less that others deringing algo I've seen so far so it doesn't bother me, I know it won't never be perfect.

The only real artifact that remains is the one I showed you... Do you need a sample of this video?

But I admit I find that the pros of deringing outperform the cons that remain this time
A sample would be useful, and maybe an easy way to reproduce the exact artifact you mean. E.g. first frame, with screenshots of how it looks with/without deringing on your PC. When I tried with your BMP/JPG, I couldn't really see much difference with deringing on/off, IIRC. The difference I saw here was much smaller than what your screenshots showed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
This CrossBilateral mpv shader works very well.
https://gist.github.com/igv/a015fc88...1820ad89555637
I hope you will port it inside madVR soon!
It's not mpv's work. They've copied this one from Shiandow/MPDN. It's on my to do list to add it to madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Could you bring the one-pass AdaptiveSharpen back into madVR?
https://gist.github.com/igv/8a77e4eb...bb94c1c50c317e
It uses much less gpu and looks pretty good.
I'm confused. I thought the 1pass algo was outdated and replaced with the 2pass algo? Is that not the case? Is the 1pass algo different (lower quality, but faster, maybe)? Is it still maintained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
They could have at least mentioned my name somewhere...
Agreed. But they don't do things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
How about graying out the checkbox when a 3DLUT that contains calibration information is loaded?
It's not that easy. There are multiple 3dlut slots, some of them might have a 3dlut file loaded with included GPU gamma ramps, some might not. What do I do then?

Anyway, this is not the time to do minor cosmetical things like this. At some point I'll invest time into making all the settings easier and nicer. Working on cosmetical things now would just cost me hours and hours of work, which I don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlget View Post
Hi,My RAM is getting full after playing video say for 1hr.
Got 8GB RAM & at starting of player , it's 25%.
But after 1hr it becomes 95%.
Forwarding ,going into fullscreen or out of full screen takes time like forever.
it's like something is loading into RAM but not releasing.
Nobody else is reporting this problem. Could you please try to find out where it's coming from? It could be madVR. It could be the media player. Or the decoder. Or some other software running on your PC. E.g. you could try different madVR builds, different media players, different decoders/splitters, to figure out which exact piece of software is causing the issue. It could even be the GPU driver, or some 3rd party GPU monitor program or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik G View Post
the Dolby Vision clips works but madvr doesnt detect them as HDR and so they look washed out.
I've downloaded 2 clips. One was detected as HDR and played fine. One was not detected as HDR, but still played fine and was *not* washed out. It's too bad you didn't tell me exactly which file displayed washed out. I don't have the time to download 30 files and try them all one by one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spon View Post
Is my CPU potentially bottlenecking the GTX 960?
No. Your first and only priority should be to make GPU accelerated decoding work. Until you succeeded with that, you can ignore all other problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelMaki View Post
Wrestling with my old laptop that I use as a HTPC (AMD Phenom II N930 2Ghz and AMD 5650m+4250 gpu), and after reinstalling windows 7 64-bit and updating mpc-hc and madVR (64-bit) to their latest nightly, I can barely get bilinear to work. Is there any change about performance in older rigs as mine from 89.x to latest? Or am I missing some requirement I am supposed to install (vcredist etc)? GPU-z shows that the clocks go up for 3D (550/800) and that the utilization is low (0%-20%), yet still I get "dips" in the queues occasionally and starting+switching to fullscreen results in around 20-30 dropped frames, no matter if exclusive or not. I am "forced" to use gpu-drivers from 2012 (Catalyst 12.4 to be exact) as I have a legacy GPU on my motherboard and AMD doesn't support them.
So the problem is not generally bad rendering times, but occasional dips? Do you have any 3rd party software installed which might be using the GPU? E.g. try closing the browser. Disable all GPU monitors and all other 3rd party software which might have anything remotely to do with the GPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiepbg View Post
New settings are great, low noise, sharp image.
New deringing artifacts filter + reduce dark halos is too heavy for my graphic cards (8750M), but without it, everything still great

If i enable deringing artifacts filter, rendering times increase from 18ms to > 40ms with high bitrate 720p video (>10000kbps), and framerate drops quickly.
Unfortunately there's not much I can do about deringing performance. It does eat some performance, but that's just the way it is.

Quote:
When doing 720p -> 1080p, madVR OSD has started showing Jinc chroma upscaling (on the row after luma) in addition to the Super-XBR chroma upscaling that I've chosen for the profile.
It's hard to say something without seeing a screenshot of the OSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Some of them doesn't have any colorspace declaration (e.g. LG_2_DEMO_4K_O_H_2_Dolby Trailer.mkv) and MadVR uses BT.709 (best guess) for primaries and for matrix.
"LG_2_DEMO_4K_O_H_2_Dolby Trailer.mkv" looks ok to my eyes, so it doesn't really seem to be HDR at all.

Quote:
If I hit source decoding matrix toggle, I can only select from these: BT.709 , BT.601 .
If I hit source primaries toggle, I can only select from these: BT.709 , SMPTE C, EBU/PAL .

Shouldn't I able to select the other ones (DCI-P3, BT.2020) as well with both of these options?
If I assign keyboard shortcuts to DCI-P3 and BT.2020 then I can select them as primaries. Though there's no option for the matrix.
I'm only toggling through the most common candidates. HDR content is still very rare. And *usually* it's tagged correctly. I'm not sure if I should extend the toggle for these extremely rare cases. It would make things worse for 99% of users who don't need it.

There's no matrix for DCI-P3. Content is not encoded in DCI-P3. Or if it is, it's RGB. So a matrix for DCI-P3 is not needed, so none exists.

Quote:
One more question: If I'm certain that a source uses BT.2020 (let's say) what source decoding matrix and source primaries should I use on my BT.709 calibrated FHD display? (I guess BT.2020 for source primaries and BT.709 for decoding matrix, but I'm not sure).
It's unlikely the source uses BT.2020 primaries but a BT.709 matrix. If you're sure that madVR has guessed wrong, then you should correct both the primaries and matrix to what the video really uses. However, the file is seriously broken if it uses BT.2020 without saying so in the bitstream!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
They released new drivers with fixed DXVA processing (which was acting strange with 16.5.2 and 16.5.3 drivers). Not sure if this was the crash, but if the workaround is somehow hacky you might recheck if it's needed.
Thanks. The workaround should not have any negative side effects, and it was not related to DXVA in any way. It had to do with my low level API hooks to make Direct3D use proper refresh rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
Is there a way to list madVR instances already running (ex: MPC HC playing a video) and hook to them (COM interfaces) ?
Yes, after all madHcCtrl.exe (the madVR tray icon application) does it, too. It's not using a COM interface, though. Instead it loads "madHcNet32.dll" and uses APIs of that dll.

What purpose do you need this for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanade View Post
Hello madshi, despite using the latest madVR version (0.90.20) I'm still experiencing driver/madVR crash or even BSoD while using the latest AMD beta drivers (16.X).
If you get a madVR crash, please send the crash report to me. If the GPU driver crashes or even creates a BSoD, then this is probably out of my control, and unlikely to be my fault. The driver should really not crash or BSoD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier C. View Post
Command line seems not to work.

I found this quite old open ticket :
http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=210

Do you plan to fix it in a near future ?
At some point. Not sure if it will be the near future. What do you need this for?

Quote:
So I tested again and this time it did start and Lav showed it using the mvc decoder. Of course my 9 year old computer was maxed out on cpu and it was choppy, but it was working. However it displayed it side by side on mpc which I thought was odd. When I set my projector to side by side mode. The 3d did work just fine, is this the way its supposed to work? Also the first time I tried it, I opened the file in KODI and passed to mpc-hc. That is when mpc crashed, the second time I opened in mpc directly. Is there some reason it would crash like that?
Which OS are you using? You need at least Windows 8.1 for frame packed 3D output to work. Windows 7 doesn't have APIs for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafat777 View Post
I just purchased a 1440p monitor and now all of my 1080p blurays needs to be upscaled to fit my screen. Since madvr does a fine job in both up and downscaling, would it be wise to double luma and chroma of the 1080p movie using nneid3 and then using ssim to downscale? OR should i just let jinc take care of luma and the usual nneid3 for chroma?

I am having a hard time figuring out which one will technically give me a better result. Any help would be appreciated.
Usually better quality luma processing is much more visible than better quality chroma processing. So I'd recommend choosing a sane but not too expensive chroma upscaling algorithm, and instead spend your GPU power on high quality luma upscaling and refinement.

But in the end, why don't you experiment and let your eyes be the judge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidspyker View Post
I usually watch videos in a smaller window(720) instead of Fullscreen(1080) for multi-tasking purposes so I never noticed this before but I tried a few things fullscreen recently and all of them have a weird minute but noticeable lag when using FSE mode. As soon as I disable FSE the playback takes the 'normal' speed. I tried messing with all other settings and FSE turned out to be the culprit, nothing else helped. There were no dropped frames, delayed frames or any other issues.
I'm not sure what you mean. What exactly lags? The playing video? Or some OSD controls? Or what?

Quote:
Unrelated to above, for rendering performance should I care more about avg rendering time or max? Sometimes the max seems to shoot up high but avg remains below v-sync.
As long as all queues remain nicely filled at all times, there's no need to worry. The queues have exactly the purpose to smooth out unexpected "max" spikes.
Old 11th June 2016, 19:04   #38289  |  Link
EncodedMango

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. What exactly lags? The playing video? Or some OSD controls? Or what?
Hello, yes the video lags a little.

I'm having issue replicating it properly though, so will do more testing and report back. I just did a full settings and configuring madVR options again and the problem doesn't seem to be reappearing so far.

Quote:
As long as all queues remain nicely filled at all times, there's no need to worry. The queues have exactly the purpose to smooth out unexpected "max" spikes.
I see, thank you.
EncodedMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 21:26   #38290  |  Link
castaway

Quote:
Yes, after all madHcCtrl.exe (the madVR tray icon application) does it, too. It's not using a COM interface, though. Instead it loads "madHcNet32.dll" and uses APIs of that dll.

What purpose do you need this for?
To change madVR common enhancement settings instantly on a video already playing (on the fly).
I could successfully use the interface you provided to modify settings (ex: switch on lumaSharpen) , but they are not applied directly, only after restarting the player.

Is there a way to "apply" the changes made, through the interface ; or else would "madHcNet32.dll" have APi's to achieve that?
Thanks
castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 21:27   #38291  |  Link
Uoppi

When 720p -> 1080p upscaling chroma using Super-XBR (just upscaling, not doubling), how is chroma upscaled exactly? Is it doubled to 1080p (like luma) or is quarter of the resolution doubled to half of the 1080p resolution and then the rest of the upscale is done with Jinc?

Just trying to figure out if Jinc chroma should also be shown in the madVR OSD at the same time with Super-XBR chroma. I'm seeing both Super-XBR and Jinc chroma in the OSD and I can't remember seeing Jinc chroma there before.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 22:11   #38292  |  Link
robl45

I am using windows 10. So if its showing side by side like that and I put the projector into side by side mode, I'm not getting the full resolution? I have a feeling the drivers might not be correct in windows 10 on my system or its not detecting my projector correctly. But if i'm getting full resolution like this, then I don't really need to mess with it.

Quote:
Which OS are you using? You need at least Windows 8.1 for frame packed 3D output to work. Windows 7 doesn't have APIs for that.
Old 12th June 2016, 10:31   #38293  |  Link
Sunset1982

just ordered a msi gtx1070. Anyone using 1070/1080 already?

What settings are you using to max it out?
Old 12th June 2016, 13:46   #38294  |  Link
mueslibrown

Is there currently any reason not to use Windows 10 (nvidia plus i3) and madvr? Thx.
mueslibrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 15:16   #38295  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
There's no adjustment for video clock deviation. "display" simply shows the number of VSyncs per second, measured by the system clock.
Yes, but being measured against system clock (same reference as audio clock as you confirm), and knowing the target refresh rate of timings selected, it pretty much is a measure of video clock deviation. Tests seem to confirm this to several decimals of precision.

Quote:
Ehm, I'm getting headaches thinking about this. From what I've seen, you guys have all this deeply discussed in some other forum, I don't think I can add much information to that. And I really don't want to dive into all this right now. I've dozens of posts to reply to, and not much time, sorry.
We tried refining the process and came up with the guide you can read here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173571

I'd be happy if you, whenever you'll have the time, could have a look and see if any glaring mistake jumps to your eye. We've repeated the process and it seems to work but... just in case.

Thanks!

Last edited by ashlar42; 12th June 2016 at 15:18.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 17:41   #38296  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
Madshi, as you asked, here my settings.bin and my debug log from the supersampling situation where image doubling activates but upscaling refinement does not

http://www.filedropper.com/madvrdebugsettings

movie resolution : 1280x720
display resolution: 1366x768

thanks for your atention and patience
Can you please retry with the next build (v0.90.21). If the problem still occurs, can you please create another debug log with the next build? Thanks.

Quote:
Houston, we have a problem(that's with .19 BTW):

Seems boiling down to FS(whatever E or W) + SSIM 2D + black bars detection as either going 1D or disabling the latter works fine, here's a MKV sample.

So I captured a big .TS file off DVB-T2 and only this music video in the sample gave that first problem but once I enable doubling they all go bananas like this in FS:
Should be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Hello, yes the video lags a little.

I'm having issue replicating it properly though, so will do more testing and report back.
If it occurs again, please describe in more detail how the video lags. I'm not fully sure what you mean. But if the problem is already gone, as is well, of course.

Quote:
When 720p -> 1080p upscaling chroma using Super-XBR (just upscaling, not doubling), how is chroma upscaled exactly? Is it doubled to 1080p (like luma) or is quarter of the resolution doubled to half of the 1080p resolution and then the rest of the upscale is done with Jinc?
It's doubled to video resolution (720p), then the whole image is upscaled to 1080p.

Quote:
I am using windows 10. So if its showing side by side like that and I put the projector into side by side mode, I'm not getting the full resolution? I have a feeling the drivers might not be correct in windows 10 on my system or its not detecting my projector correctly. But if i'm getting full resolution like this, then I don't really need to mess with it.
Side-by-side loses half of the resolution. You need 3D to be enabled for your projector in the OS settings. For that to work your GPU must detect the display as being 3D capable. If you route your projector through some kind of AVR, make sure that AVR doesn't swallow the "3D capable" information (mine does!). You could try connecting the projector directly to the GPU to double check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mueslibrown View Post
Is there currently any reason not to use Windows 10 (nvidia plus i3) and madvr? Thx.
Yes, Windows 8.1 is currently more stable for video playback.

Quote:
We tried refining the process and came up with the guide you can read here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173571

I'd be happy if you, whenever you'll have the time, could have a look and see if any glaring mistake jumps to your eye. We've repeated the process and it seems to work but... just in case.
I'm sure you got it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
To change madVR common enhancement settings instantly on a video already playing (on the fly).
I could successfully use the interface you provided to modify settings (ex: switch on lumaSharpen) , but they are not applied directly, only after restarting the player.

Is there a way to "apply" the changes made, through the interface ; or else would "madHcNet32.dll" have APi's to achieve that?
Thanks
Oh well, you can use this header:

http://madshi.net/madHcNet.h

Sending settings works by using "AutoNet_Send" with the "SetSettings" command. The whole operation is somewhat complicated, though. First you'd need to call "AutoNet_AddConnectionCallback" and "AutoNet_Listen" to be notified about existing madVR instances. Your connection callback will then be called with information about found instances and in the callback you could then call "AutoNet_Send".

All this stuff wasn't really meant to be used by anyone else, other than me, so the headers are not that well documented, and the process isn't well explained.
Old 12th June 2016, 19:04   #38297  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.90.21 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* HDR: pixels between 0-100 nits are now left untouched (if possible)
* HDR: improved desaturation algorithms to reduce hue shift even further
* HDR: added option to choose between clipping and tone mapping
* HDR: added option for hue preservation quality
* HDR: added option to restore detail in compressed regions
* HDR: added option to measure each video frame's peak luminance
* HDR: added option to completely disable HDR processing
* HDR: added workaround for files with invalid metadata
* fixed: supersampling + 2D SSIM sometimes produced "green" video
I had planned to add Shiandow's latest Bilateral chroma upscaler this week, but didn't manage to squeeze it in, unfortunately. Hopefully next weekend.

FWIW, I'm probably going to have less time for madVR in the next couple of weeks, compared to the previous months. So don't expect big new features in the next couple of weeks. Just bugfixes and small tweaks, maybe.
Old 12th June 2016, 20:31   #38298  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Something is wrong here. When display is set to 120 nits no matter if HDR processing is enabled or not or even if the file have HDR data. Video brightness is significantly higher than it should be.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 20:40   #38299  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
Something is wrong here. When display is set to 120 nits no matter if HDR processing is enabled or not or even if the file have HDR data. Video brightness is significantly higher than it should be.
Ooops, that appears to be a bug, thanks for letting me know. I wouldn't recommend the 120 nits setting (or 180 nits), anyway. But of course this needs to be fixed. I'd recommend using 265 nits or higher, with which the issue should not occur.

The reason for this bug is that for 120 and 180 nits, I'm using the same tone mapping curves as for 265 nits, but I'm "secretly" increasing the brightness setting (for 120 nits more than for 180 nits, obviously). It seems that this secret brightness tweak isn't limited to HDR videos, although that was the intention.
Old 12th June 2016, 21:16   #38300  |  Link
tahaa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
madVR is not able to leave an interlanced signal untouched.
i'm not sure if this is even possible with a PC.

just chroma upscaling to 4:4:4 will ruin an interlanced image if it is done before deinterlancing.
But if I turn off deinterlacing in madVR, I do get an interlaced signal out (I see combing), but my TV thinks it's progressive. I've tried setting the "display mode" in madVR to 1080i50, but still my TV reads it as "1080p". Which also begs the question when might adding interlaced options to "display modes" of a TV/display be useful...

Last edited by tahaa7; 12th June 2016 at 21:20.
tahaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling