Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th May 2016, 15:52   #37821  |  Link
regiregi22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
madVR doesn't use the CPU much, so if its fast enough to decode everything you encounter, using software decoding is generally a good option.
Note that CUDA decoding is not generally recommended anymore, and if you go with hardware decoding, favor DXVA2 (copy-back) instead.
Copy that. It's an overclocked i7 3770K, so if there is something it cannot handle, I don't know what could do the job instead

Will use "None" as a decoder then.

Thanks for your help
regiregi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 16:42   #37822  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH
Is there a profile rule for hevc or h265?
Basically what I want to do is create a profile to disable artifact removal if the file format is hevc.
Does anyone know how to setup a profile like this?

Excluding supported formats does not work

Quote:
if (not h264) or (not MPEG2) "x265"
Still looking for an answer if there is one...madshi?
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 17:10   #37823  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ok, I'll see if I can modify the super-xbr anti-bloating settings to make all those options a bit sharper. Of course that will also decrease the anti-bloating effect a bit.
stopping it from double lining would be fine too.

"most" people are using super xbr anti bloat and downscale after that and thanks to the sharp downscaler it is more than sharp enough.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 17:28   #37824  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Is there a string value for hevc or h.265?
madVR does not detect h265 yet.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 17:59   #37825  |  Link
baii

I thought I saw hevc / hi10p in the osd before?

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 19:38   #37826  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenderGuy2 View Post
Would it be possible for MadVR to support:

MEDIATYPE_Video {73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
MEDIASUBTYPE_XYZC {435A5958-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
FORMAT_VIDEOINFO2 {F72A76A0-EB0A-11D0-ACE4-0000C0CC16BA}

This is a 12-bit XYZ format. There are a couple of relatively inexpensive DirectShow filters that can decode jpeg2000 pretty quickly and can output 12bit xyz (without forcing a conversion to rec709). The conversion to display color can easily be done by the user with either a 3DLUT or pixel shaders (linearize, 3x3 matrix, gamma), or a combination of both.

I have no idea if it is simple or difficult to add support for another pixel type. Thank you.
It wouldn't make sense for me to try to implement something like this "blind". So basically I'd need to be able to play some sample files directly on my PC, preferably without having to spend any money.
Looks like RenderGuy2 is referring to DCP video content. madshi, you may download DCP samples (trailers) from this link: http://wdsspr.ru

Below are two samples from the above link (the first one is 2D video and the second one is 3D video):

http://wdsspr.ru/W/JungleBook/traile...P.zip?download

http://wdsspr.ru/W/FinestHours/trail...V.zip?download

Incidentally, I sent you a PM on 6th April (actually reverted to our previous conversation) regarding the XYZ input in madVR and the conversion method for XYZ to RGB, in case you haven’t noticed. I understand though that this would be low on your priority list.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 20:39   #37827  |  Link
Warner306

This wasn't answered before...I'd like to know where super-xbr ranks in terms of ringing since adding additional anti-ringing. Is it still one of the worst offenders for ringing?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 20:47   #37828  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimu View Post
Using the latest 0.90.17 madVR I've encountered a glitch where if I keep resizing the MPC window so that the scaling changes just right, the brightness of the video becomes washed out. However, unchecking linear and sigmoidal light options in the down/upscaling menu removes the glitch.

Normal - http://i.imgur.com/4UpFebN.jpg
Glitching - http://i.imgur.com/UF7I9Cx.jpg

I'm watching an anamorphic DVD transfer. I couldn't quickly reproduce this glitch on 4:3 or similar content.

I tried on/offing the newest options, including "scale chroma separately, if..." but only turning LL/SL off makes this glitch go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
There seems to be a bug with linear light downscaling and mixed x/y scaling.
I'll try to upload a sample this evening which demonstrates the problem.
What's happening is that, with luma x downscaling and luma y upscaling, activating linear light downscaling results in a very dark image.
If NNEDI3 luma doubling is activated under these conditions (no chroma) the image turns green.

This is unaffected by the new chroma quality option.

EDIT: It's the combination of sigmoidal light upscaling, and linear light downscaling that seems to cause this.
Disabling either one fixes it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Nope, all is well with .15 whatever SD going dark in windowed mode or 720p going dark in FSE, it's actually downscaling antibloat that triggers it in combination with NNEDI3 luma-only doubling as I just found out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Touche* View Post
I'm not sure if this had been reported already, but I'm having strange issues with SSIM downscaling combined with various other settings. It interacts badly with NNEDI3 image doubling and SuperRes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman2791 View Post
For some reason, Jinc AR is showing up as Lanczos 3AR in image upscaling.
All of these issues should be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
I have an issue with changing channels whilst watching live TV within Kodi DSPlayer. If I switch from one HD channel to another, frames start being played out of order (so everything looks like it's jumping around all over the place). If I switch from an HD channel to an SD one, I get a grey and/or green screen and have to restart Kodi.

Here's my specs and software versions on the problematic machine:
  • Kodi with DSPlayer 16.1 RC2 (latest)
  • MadVR 0.90.17 (latest)
  • Fullscreen Exclusive Mode disabled
  • MediaPortal PVR Client
  • Windows 10
  • Intel Xeon X5650 @ 4 GHz
  • AMD R9 270 (2 GB)
I've also tried using both ffmpeg and TSReader within the MediaPortal PVR Client settings, as well as turning "fast channel switching" on and off. These settings make no difference. Here's a summary of my MadVR rendering settings:
  • Direct3D 9 renderer
  • Use separate device for presentation
  • Use separate device for DXVA processing
  • Delay playback start until render queue is full
  • Windowed mode (present 8 frames in advance)
  • Smooth motion enabled
I've uploaded log files from when I started to watch one HD channel, then switched to another HD channel, then stopped playback. Hopefully it helps to identify the issue!
On a quick check I've not seen anything, but I don't really know what to look for.

What happens if you disable DXVA deinterlacing? What happens if you use disable the "use separate device for ..." options? What happens if you disable smooth motion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
I was doing some testing on GPU LUTs and found that the “disable GPU gamma ramps” setting in madVR doesn’t perfectly make the ramps linear. I used this tester from X-Rite website and tested on three different systems with AMD, Nvidia and Intel GPUs respectively. All three systems didn’t have any ICC profile loaded or any other application loading the GPU LUTs. So they already had linear ramps. The tester software correctly reported that the LUTs were unmodified. When madVR was used with “disable GPU gamma ramps’ selected, it reported that the LUTs were modified. The tester software also shows some RGB values to describe the modification done to the LUTs. The RGB values shown in case of madVR were just slightly different from the values which it shows when the LUTs are linear. Apparently, this is a bug in madVR. This bug may not have any visual consequences because madVR makes the LUTs almost linear, but still it's a thing of concern as this will engage the GPU processing of LUTs adding an extra dithering noise to the video.
Can you please show me exactly what the tester software showed? I mean this:

> The tester software also shows some RGB values
> to describe the modification done to the LUTs

Don't really want to install one more unknown application on my dev PC.

There are 2 different ways to create a neutral/linear LUT. madVR knows both and detects both. Maybe that software you were using only knows one of them and doesn't like madVR's default LUT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Sure. Using a 1.85.1 movie as an example (Ant Man), I have 'always - 2x supersampling' set in image doubling. First screenshot has 'automatically detect hardcoded black bars' selected, along with 'zoom small black bars away'. Doubling is being performed but no upscaling refinements have any effect (notice the render times). If I untick 'automatically detect hardcoded black bars' render times more than double and upscaling enhancements are clearly working (second screenshot).

http://imgur.com/Hli7UJI

http://imgur.com/MfuNVg5

On a 2.35.1 movie, with 'automatically detect hardcoded black bars' selected, along with zoom big black bars away completely so the picture fills the screen, upscaling refinements work fine along with doubling.
I've tried but I can't seem to be able to reproduce this. Anyway, I've done a small change and hope that it will fix the issue for you in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
Looks like RenderGuy2 is referring to DCP video content. madshi, you may download DCP samples (trailers) from this link: http://wdsspr.ru

Below are two samples from the above link (the first one is 2D video and the second one is 3D video):

http://wdsspr.ru/W/JungleBook/traile...P.zip?download

http://wdsspr.ru/W/FinestHours/trail...V.zip?download
Before I download these: Can LAV Video Decoder split and decode them? Or how else would I play these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
This wasn't answered before...I'd like to know where super-xbr ranks in terms of ringing since adding additional anti-ringing. Is it still one of the worst offenders for ringing?
I don't think so, but why don't you judge for yourself?
Old 9th May 2016, 21:43   #37829  |  Link
RenderGuy2

Quote:
Before I download these: Can LAV Video Decoder split and decode them? Or how else would I play these?
I will send you a link to a demo version of the decoder and some small samples. LAV can split mxf and decode jpeg2000. There are two drawbacks to using LAV for jpeg2000 decoding though, it is slow, even a powerful cpu struggles to decode in real-time. Also it forces a conversion from XYZ to rec709, resulting in a potential loss of color gamut. Anyway, if it's not too much work, it would be great if MadVR could connect to a XYZC output pin.

Thanks
RenderGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 22:28   #37830  |  Link
foozoor

@madshi
Will you add new CrossBilateral and SuperRes in the next madVR release?

Damn there are so many shitpostings about madVR, MPDN and mpv on 4chan!
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 22:38   #37831  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenderGuy2 View Post
I will send you a link to a demo version of the decoder and some small samples. LAV can split mxf and decode jpeg2000. There are two drawbacks to using LAV for jpeg2000 decoding though, it is slow, even a powerful cpu struggles to decode in real-time. Also it forces a conversion from XYZ to rec709, resulting in a potential loss of color gamut. Anyway, if it's not too much work, it would be great if MadVR could connect to a XYZC output pin.
Ok thanks, will put it on my to do list, but probably not with a high priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Will you add new CrossBilateral and SuperRes in the next madVR release?
I've tried the new SuperRes version, but I like mine better (mine has a few modifications like built in anti-ringing etc), so I won't update that one. At least not for now. I do plan to update the bilateral chroma upscaler, but it will have to wait for the version after the next.
Old 9th May 2016, 22:47   #37832  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.90.18 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added new deringing algorithm
* added dering key shortcut and file name tag ("dering(ing)=on/off/half/full")
* fixed: upscaling refinement wasn't always active when doing supersampling
* fixed: Jinc upscaling was replaced by Lanczos3 when upscaling in only X or Y
* fixed: some graphical corruption when combining NNEDI3 + SSIM2D + Anti-Bloat
* fixed: image was too bright with linear light down- and sigmoidal upscaling
* fixed: sometimes HDR SMPTE 2086 metadata got lost
Here are a few image comparisons that show how my new deringing algorithm compares to AviSynth's "DeHalo_alpha" (default settings) deringing script:

clown:
no deringing - - | - - DeHalo_alpha - - | - - madVR

some anime:

light house:

some movie:
Old 10th May 2016, 01:17   #37833  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Hmm, with the new build I seem to be getting image doubling if the window is smaller than the video. It turns off if the window is the exact size as the video. I have image doubling set to "only if the scaling factor is 1.5x (or bigger)", so I shouldn't be getting supersampling!

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 10th May 2016 at 01:21.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 01:30   #37834  |  Link
flashmozzg

Quote:
Here are a few image comparisons that show how my new deringing algorithm compares to AviSynth's "DeHalo_alpha" (default settings) deringing script:

clown:

some anime:

light house:

some movie:
American Dad - Anime xD

It seems that the new madVR algo keeps the sharpness of original image while "deleting" most of the halos. Nice!
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 03:30   #37835  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
madVR v0.90.18 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added new deringing algorithm
* added dering key shortcut and file name tag ("dering(ing)=on/off/half/full")
* fixed: upscaling refinement wasn't always active when doing supersampling
* fixed: Jinc upscaling was replaced by Lanczos3 when upscaling in only X or Y
* fixed: some graphical corruption when combining NNEDI3 + SSIM2D + Anti-Bloat
* fixed: image was too bright with linear light down- and sigmoidal upscaling
* fixed: sometimes HDR SMPTE 2086 metadata got lost
Can you make some recommendations when these settings should be used? What bit rate (2,500 Kbps) is low enough for deringing to be necessary? Or what scaling factor?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 03:32   #37836  |  Link
har3inger

What means of sorcery did you employ for the dering filter? How does it work (if you don't mind sharing)?

What are the theoretical drawbacks of your algorithm? What should we be looking for to see what needs tweaking?

Any way to specify dering strength via options or profiles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Hmm, with the new build I seem to be getting image doubling if the window is smaller than the video. It turns off if the window is the exact size as the video. I have image doubling set to "only if the scaling factor is 1.5x (or bigger)", so I shouldn't be getting supersampling!
Same here. Resizing videos down seems to really eat up rendering horsepower, and OSD reports that sxbr is employed for upscale.

Last edited by har3inger; 10th May 2016 at 03:43.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 05:48   #37837  |  Link
James Freeman

The new de-ringing algo replaces the old one automatically or do I have to activate it?
Old 10th May 2016, 07:46   #37838  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Ooops, will have to check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmozzg View Post
It seems that the new madVR algo keeps the sharpness of original image while "deleting" most of the halos. Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Can you make some recommendations when these settings should be used? What bit rate (2,500 Kbps) is low enough for deringing to be necessary? Or what scaling factor?
Ringing is not a compression artifact. It occurs if the studio downscaled the original master or applied edge enhancement / sharpening. So bitrate does not have any meaning in this context.

You should activate deringing when the source has visible ringing. I'm not sure if you can keep it always enabled. I tried to tweak the algo to not do harm if there's no ringing to begin with, but we'll need thourough tests to figure out how successful I was with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
What means of sorcery did you employ for the dering filter? How does it work (if you don't mind sharing)?
The sorcery of my mind... It's a brand new algo, not based on anything else. It's quite complex (6 shader passes, actually), and costs quite a bit of performance, too. Technical details are secret...

Quote:
What are the theoretical drawbacks of your algorithm? What should we be looking for to see what needs tweaking?
Theoretical drawbacks:

1) It might not always find/remove all ringing. Which can look a bit "weird" when there are some fragments of ringing left while others are removed. But that's the way it is.

2) It might mistake image detail as ringing and mistakingly remove it. This seems to be more a problem with dark halos around bright edges than with white halos around dark edges (especially for Anime), that's why there's one sub option that allows you to decide whether you only want bright halos to be removed, or also dark halos. Default is only bright halos.

Quote:
Any way to specify dering strength via options or profiles?
Atm my algo doesn't know/support different strengths. It simply tries to remove ringing of any strength. The only option is whether you want only bright halos to be removed or also dark halos. See settings dialog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
The new de-ringing algo replaces the old one automatically or do I have to activate it?
The old "anti-ringing" algos are all still there. They have a different purpose.

Basically it's the same as with dithering vs debanding: Dithering tries to make sure that madVR processing does not add new banding artifacts. Debanding tries to remove banding artifacts that are already in the source. In the same way anti-ringing tries to make sure that madVR processing does not add new ringing artifacts. Deringing tries to remove ringing artifacts that are already in the source.

-------

I should mention that the algo is tweaked for halos produced by downscaling and edge enhancement/sharpening. These halos can be quite visible/bright, but they're usually narrow (1-2 pixels wide). If the source was upscaled a lot, there can be very wide halos, which my algo cannot handle.
Old 10th May 2016, 08:04   #37839  |  Link
AngelGraves13

New de-ringing options looks great and should always be enabled (if performance isn't an issue). It's really noticeable with the lighthouse image, and does wonders.

I'll leave the sub-option disabled for now as I like to watch a lot of Simpsons and Futurama.

Question:
madshi, what are the chances of a "low-pass filter" appearing in madvr? It would greatly aid in the removal of moire and false color, which is a serious problem with SD content, especially MPEG-2.

Here's an article with an image of the potential benefits... http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD.../Z_DSC0185.jpg
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 08:57   #37840  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
I did the latest update today and just went into my HT to check it....

Ive tried to turn on the new anti ringing feature but it wont stay on, its always greyed out. I have banding set on med top one, high bottom one. Ive tried to change these round to see if I can activate the two new features on this page but just cant get them to activate and lock on....

What might be wrong for me?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling