Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th July 2005, 14:36   #181  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I just ran your new x264-only version. Very nice work indeed The only thing missing is mainform title adjustment to reflect which app you're running, but I guess I can take care of that myself.
Old 9th July 2005, 14:39   #182  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
I just ran your new x264-only version. Very nice work indeed
Thanks
Quote:
The only thing missing is mainform title adjustment to reflect which app you're running, but I guess I can take care of that myself.
Thanks again.
berrinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2005, 22:30   #183  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

hmm.. I'm trying to continue development on the code you sent me. I don't quite get why you picked a preprocessor symbol for what should be the default mode (the full mode).. since it is the default mode I wouldn't thought I'd get a full version if I don't specify anything and that I'd have to specify a flag to get a limited version. The way it is now, if you forget to add the FULL flag and make a default compilation, you get a useless application.

I also miss the bitrate calculator in the full mode. In fact, I don't find it anywhere in the source code.

why did you put the entire code from the MeGUI constructor into a try/catch? Exception in job/profile loading are already catched.

when I try compiling with X264_ONLY or SNOW_ONLY defined I get more than 200 compilation errors.. something is definitely not right here. Are you sure you packed the code you used to compile these executables?
Old 9th July 2005, 23:45   #184  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
hmm.. I'm trying to continue development on the code you sent me. I don't quite get why you picked a preprocessor symbol for what should be the default mode (the full mode).. since it is the default mode I wouldn't thought I'd get a full version if I don't specify anything and that I'd have to specify a flag to get a limited version. The way it is now, if you forget to add the FULL flag and make a default compilation, you get a useless application.
Actually, the full tag just means that it is ONLY in the full version. I couldn't figure out any way to exclude code except by wrapping it in conditional tags. If you can think of a better way, please do. So basically, code that is included in both full and lite has no conditions around it, code for only the full version has #if FULL around it, code for only x264 has #if X264_ONLY, and code for only snow has #if SNOW_ONLY around it. Yes, it does mean that you have to be aware when you are writing it whether it gets included in the lite versions.

Quote:
I also miss the bitrate calculator in the full mode. In fact, I don't find it anywhere in the source code.
Do you mean the menu item for the bitrate calculator? I thought that you meant that was only wanted for the lite versions -- perhaps I misunderstood you. However, I'm surprised that you couldn't find it. In my version of the code (that I sent you), it is on lines 165 and 168 (inside #if X264_ONLY and #SNOW_ONLY tags).

Quote:
why did you put the entire code from the MeGUI constructor into a try/catch? Exception in job/profile loading are already catched.
That was just for debugging; it kept crashing and I couldn't find out why.

Quote:
when I try compiling with X264_ONLY or SNOW_ONLY defined I get more than 200 compilation errors.. something is definitely not right here. Are you sure you packed the code you used to compile these executables?
That is weird, because I just tested and it worked fine. May I ask, how are you compiling? The only method of compiling that I have tested is through the commandline. There may also be issues if VS.NET rearranges code, stuffing up the conditional code; I don't think it does, but I'm not sure. Also, where are you defining the preprocessor symbol? If in VS.NET, are you defining it in the project options (I think that is where you should). Otherwise, define it as a parameter, if you use the commandline. I'll have a look at VS.NET later today, to see if there is something it does to stuff up the code.
Old 9th July 2005, 23:55   #185  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
May I ask, how are you compiling?
VS.NET. I have DEBUG, TRACE and FULL/X264_ONLY/SNOW_ONLY defined for the debug output, and TRACE& one of the others for the release build.

About the calculator menu: I find the definition, an empty event handler, but not the place where it is added to the menu and where you link the event to the event handler.

And there were some horrible errors going on with the video profiles.. I have no clue where you got that line from but in the definition of what classes are contained in a VideoCodecSettings class, it listed thing that will most definitely never be in there, and none of the settings subclasses were mentioned. And there was some other stuff.. definitely not the most painful integration ever.. but that's exactly the reason why I want to make the releases.. I have a few things I always play through with each release to catch real showstoppers. Not that it prevented me from breaking the xvid dialogue completely in the last release, but at least everything else still worked.
Old 10th July 2005, 00:24   #186  |  Link
berrinam

The bitratecalc creation is in lines 267, 271, 964 (where it is added to the tools menu) and 993.

Quote:
I have no clue where you got that line from but in the definition of what classes are contained in a VideoCodecSettings class,
oops, didn't notice that. It should be
Code:
#if FULL
	[XmlInclude(typeof(VideoJob)), XmlInclude(typeof(AudioJob)), XmlInclude(typeof(MuxJob)), XmlInclude (typeof(SubStream))]
#elif X264_ONLY || SNOW_ONLY
	[XmlInclude(typeof(VideoJob))]
#endif
As I said earlier, the code is quite messy as a result, but it mostly does the job. I'll have a look into compiling it with VS.NET later today.
Old 10th July 2005, 01:17   #187  |  Link
Twisted Ladder

I have some suggestions:

Could 1-pass support please be added to One Click Encoder? If I make a CBR or CQ profile why I am forced to do 2-pass at a certain file size?

Also, if there was an option in the One Click Encoder to make the resolution fit within a desired width and height (e.g. "max width" and "max height" options) instead of only defining the width, that would be great.

in advance

Last edited by Twisted Ladder; 10th July 2005 at 01:21.
Twisted Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005, 01:20   #188  |  Link
berrinam

The problem with one-pass is that the rate-control is not as accurate as two-pass. It could be implemented, but there may be problems with hitting the target filesize.

Can you explain what you mean about the resolution?
Old 10th July 2005, 01:23   #189  |  Link
Twisted Ladder

But I'm not aiming for any target file size. Mostly I would like to encode my videos with XviD @ quantizer 4.

For the resolution: I want to encode my videos for a device with a 480*320 screen. So I would like to be able to define the max width as 480 and the max height as 320. So for example, if the aspect ratio was 4:3 it would use 432*320. If the aspect ratio was 16:9 it would use 480*272.
Old 10th July 2005, 02:01   #190  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. all the automated modes are all about hitting a certain target size, the code is written for that. The code simply cannot handle another mode without significant changes, plus the entire forms would have to be redesigned to accomodate this.. someplace you'd need an option to tell the program that it can scrap all the logic with bitrate recalculation, and that would have to be propagated throughout ever facet of MeGUI. It's not only about creating jobs, it's about encoding them. Right now, an audio job followed by a vide one (with the two linked together) means "update the bitrate".

And as far as forcing the vertical resolution goes.. no again. Keeping black borders is not a smart thing to do, and stretching the video to fit a certain resolution because of a playback device? I don't think so. If you have a widescreen movie, you'll always have black bars on your PDA but it's much better to let your player add those than to have them encoded.
Old 10th July 2005, 02:22   #191  |  Link
Twisted Ladder

No, I don't mean adding black borders to the encode, nor distorting the aspect ratio. Look at the smart resize filter for VirtualDub. It has an option to fit to width & height. It will make it the largest resolution that it can while maintaining aspect ratio and not going over specified width or height. Again see my example. For 480*320, if the aspect ratio was 4:3 it would encode for 432*320, if the aspect ratio was 480*272, it would encode to 480*272. No black bars, maintain aspect ratio, don't let it exceed specified resolution.

Also, I didn't realize 1-pass would be so hard to add. I can currently do it manually by creating the d2v, creating the AviSynth script, adding the video job, adding the audio job, wait 'til it's done encoding and mux the results. I'm no expert but it doesn't seem that different from the current One Click Encoding, just have the option to follow the profile and not ask for a target file size.
Old 10th July 2005, 02:36   #192  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

It feels to me like one of those things that goes way beyond the 80/20 rule.. lot of work for little use for most people. I believe it is reasonable to assume that more that way more than 80% will use MeGUI's output on PCs, and probably standalones one day. Neither does require what you're asking for.

Quote:
Also, I didn't realize 1-pass would be so hard to add. I can currently do it manually by creating the d2v, creating the AviSynth script, adding the video job, adding the audio job, wait 'til it's done encoding and mux the results. I'm no expert but it doesn't seem that different from the current One Click Encoding, just have the option to follow the profile and not ask for a target file size.
Well, human minds are very flexible. Code is not. It's a simple as that. Hinting that a certain feature would be easy, unless you actually know how the program in question works and having a clear idea of how to implement what you're asking for, is a little pretentious and not exactly how you want to motivate any programmer (it's like somebody telling you that the work you do all day could easily be done in half an hour, in other words you're slow an ineffective (and should thus be fired)).
Old 10th July 2005, 02:40   #193  |  Link
Twisted Ladder

If I knew the feature was so hard to implement I wouldn't have asked. Thanks anyway, guess I'll stick with DGIndex + VirtualDubMod.
Old 10th July 2005, 03:23   #194  |  Link
azsd
6502 fan

MeGUI v0.2.1.1
When select and Configuated ASP/snow encoding argments,click OK,the Codec combobox changed to "AVC" automaticly.
while try to use xvid codec,megui occured an "index out of array bound" error on "Config" button clicked.
azsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005, 04:13   #195  |  Link
berrinam

@Doom9: I have no idea what errors you got when trying to compile it (except for that one in the videocodecsettings class), as I have just tested it in VS.NET I have got an entire project, which I will send to you. When I tried to compile, there were two errors where FULL was not being defined -- I think you spoke of that earlier. Anyway, each of the three compile modes work, and FULL should never need to be defined in the project options, as each class that needs it will define it if X264_ONLY or SNOW_ONLY are not defined. Attached is the project.
Old 10th July 2005, 11:46   #196  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
while try to use xvid codec,megui occured an "index out of array bound" error on "Config" button clicked.
Please don't report issues if not having read the changelog of the latest release.. this is an issue that the latest release fixes.
Old 10th July 2005, 11:53   #197  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@berrinam: well.. you need to really test it, not just compile it. I compiled the source you attached without defining anything, put the exe into a location where I have profiles, jobs and settings defined, and I get a whole bunch of errors thrown about being unable to read jobs. Then I define full and voila.

So that definitely is broken. It seems I can compile in minimized mode.. could you please port whatever you changed to the source version from the first post here.. you used the old sources which has a lot of little things wrong with it and I really want to debug everything again to find all the places that need fixing (it's not compilation issues.. it only happens in certain usecases).

There are more issues with what you attached.. my visual studio doesn't detect the resx files for half the GUI classes so they don't show up in the GUI editor (just so that when you edit my project you be on the lookout for that and make sure everything is in order before you upload the fixes)
Old 10th July 2005, 12:05   #198  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I did some debugging and I know why it doesn't work if you don't define full. In the VideoCodecSettings class, you do not define FULL, so unless it's defined in the project options, you have no xmlinclude and thus anything that contains a subclass of VideoCodec settings cannot be saved to XML and not read from XML.

And that is by far not the only place where that problem ocurrs.. the VideoEncoder is another prime example. Yesterday when I compiled the first time I couldn't even encode until I figured out where I had to put global defines.
Old 10th July 2005, 12:41   #199  |  Link
azsd
6502 fan

sorry doom9,
I get that xvid conf error yesterday's mid night and when I wake up from bed today morning,
I posted the report first but haven't noticed 0.2.1.2 released or is it have not been release when I post.

and after deleted the profile folder,the codec selection combobox working fine now.

Last edited by azsd; 10th July 2005 at 12:49.
azsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005, 12:57   #200  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
@berrinam: well.. you need to really test it, not just compile it. I compiled the source you attached without defining anything, put the exe into a location where I have profiles, jobs and settings defined, and I get a whole bunch of errors thrown about being unable to read jobs. Then I define full and voila.
I'm really sorry that I stuffed all of this up. I'll give it a day or two break, and then try again in VS.NET with the latest sources. Maybe this time I won't break too much.

Tags
development, megui, not a help thread