Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 20th July 2002, 09:56   #1  |  Link
arttext
every-now-and-then-member

correct settings for svcd and stand alone

I was a happy encoder, but moved on lately to a stand alone player (a Revoy 2200), which is capable of vcd/svcd/cd.
Now some of my homemade vcd's/svcds do play but some don't (the all did on the pc in the dvd player).
1. Are there settings in DVD2SVCD which I have to look at especially to get the right format for a stand alone player?
2. Does it make any difference if I use 650mb cd's to burn or 700mb's?
3. Can I use RW's?

any help will be much appreciated
Old 20th July 2002, 12:12   #2  |  Link
gerti67
Reloaded!

Hi arttext,

I moved it over here as all trouble questions or "I have a problem with ..." belong to the basic forum.

When you say some play, and some don't - do you mean they don't play at all or they play jerky or reveal blocks during playback?

To answer your questions:

1. Usually the default settings create just fine SVCD compliant CD-R images. You can load the default settings for VCD/SVCD by hitting the "Load settings" button in "Misc." tab and load the "VCD-Settings.ini" or the "SVCD-Settings.ini" file from the DVD2SVCD main directory.

2. Usually not, but some players like some Philips models can't play SVCDs which contain more than 40 minutes properly. But you have to find out on your own if your model has issues with it. See www.vcdhelp.com and their DVD player compatibility list for more info on your model if it is listed there.

3. Some players don't like CD-RWs or only certain brands of it. So again, you ave to find out on your own. This also applies to CD-Rs some players have problems with specific brands or to be more precise with certain types of dyes. Also the speed of burning can be important see the Q&A for more on that and the way you burned your VCD/SVCDs - agiain see the Q&A for more.

Hope this helps,
Gerti

P.S. And please limit the size of your signature picture it sure isn't very funny for 56k modem users to load a 278k sig - that's why avatar pics are restricted to a 20k size for example.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky, University of California, 1997

Last edited by gerti67; 20th July 2002 at 12:15.
gerti67 is offline   Reply With Quote