Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 17th January 2008, 20:04   #61  |  Link
XolocoTuxmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trahald View Post
29.97->23.976 is on the latest version (publically available but really im calling it a test version) 59.94->23.976 isnt done...but really the same thing..
Ok thanks

Last edited by XolocoTuxmaster; 24th January 2008 at 18:22.
XolocoTuxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 19:40   #62  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

Quote:
not sure what you mean by that.

.15 test is available. fixes issues that would effect parsing streams that use advanced features of h264. (cinevision and x264 seemed not to use these params)
x264_hrd_pulldown.xx.diff patch for x264 compilation.

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 20:28   #63  |  Link
CruNcher

Hi Trahald
you could add this workaround to it
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...16#post1083116

This way people can in some situations prevent reencoding of such non Hardware Compatible Bitstreams

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 18th January 2008 at 20:30.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 18:33   #64  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
Hi Trahald
you could add this workaround to it
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...16#post1083116

This way people can in some situations prevent reencoding of such non Hardware Compatible Bitstreams
lemme see if im reading it correctly.. are you just asking that i allow num_ref_frames to be set via the gui? if so.. no prob

for the bitrate i can also make it selectable. if none given and none in the stream then i would use max bitrate for current level.
Old 23rd January 2008, 22:07   #65  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

about the adding borders without reencoding. i couldnt find anything that would let me do that. i was hoping negative values for cropping could be used to add size but they are stored as positive only values.
Old 24th January 2008, 02:54   #66  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
lemme see if im reading it correctly.. are you just asking that i allow num_ref_frames to be set via the gui? if so.. no prob

for the bitrate i can also make it selectable. if none given and none in the stream then i would use max bitrate for current level.
Yep exactly

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 14:11   #67  |  Link
XolocoTuxmaster

Nothing

Last edited by XolocoTuxmaster; 24th January 2008 at 18:21.
XolocoTuxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 20:04   #68  |  Link
bond

Quote:
about the adding borders without reencoding. i couldnt find anything that would let me do that. i was hoping negative values for cropping could be used to add size but they are stored as positive only values.
yes, my request was regarding being able to crop pictures, not to add borders

hope you can do it

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 08:05   #69  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

0018 test version is available. supports setting num_ref_frames and maxbitrate. for streams where there is no maxbitrate or cpb size setting, the max for that level is used for both (except for max bitrate when a size is supplied. ) maxbitrate is in kbps. commandline support also added.

cropping is next
Old 31st January 2008, 19:40   #70  |  Link
Rectal Prolapse

Hi trahald. This segment crashes h264info - I hope you can figure it out! Thanks!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rl63w1

This segment might be typical of Japanese HD-DVD h264 releases.
Rectal Prolapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:58   #71  |  Link
bozydar

Is it possible to change levels from 16-236 to 0-255 (TV/Video space to PC-space)?

I try to put it in different words...

I have TS file with h264 track. I convert it to the MKV containter using GraphEdit (I connect Hali Media Splitter and Hali Matroska Muxer).

When I use the older version of the splitter for conversion, MKV file plays in Media Player Classic with PC-space levels (0-255), which is good IMHO.

When I use the newest version of the splitter for conversion, file plays in MPC with TV-space levels (16-235) - image is washed out...

So... I suspect, that newer splitter adds or removes something from the H264 stream during conversion...

The question is: Is it possible to correct this?
bozydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 07:22   #72  |  Link
PHD_1976

Scenarist refuses to mux file

Unfortunately, Scenarist HDMV gives an error while muxing H264 file demuxed from HD DVD and changed by H264info alpha 0018, something about zero GOP (can post it as it is if needed). Although MUI Generator if happy with this file.

I had very same type of error when cpb_removal_delay was calculated improperly (from Scenarist point of view). If cpb_removal_delay equals zero, except for the very first time, that is true Scenarist returns an error like "DTS of previous AU is no greater then xxx AU". So every zero cpb_removal_delay should be changed to a value of previous cpb_removal_delay plus two. In this case both MUI Generator & Scenarist are happy with file.
Trahald, what is you algorithm of recalculating cpb_removal_delay?

Last edited by PHD_1976; 6th February 2008 at 08:45.
PHD_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 21:08   #73  |  Link
Creator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHD_1976 View Post
Unfortunately, Scenarist HDMV gives an error while muxing H264 file demuxed from HD DVD and changed by H264info alpha 0018, something about zero GOP (can post it as it is if needed). Although MUI Generator if happy with this file.

I had very same type of error when cpb_removal_delay was calculated improperly (from Scenarist point of view). If cpb_removal_delay equals zero, except for the very first time, that is true Scenarist returns an error like "DTS of previous AU is no greater then xxx AU". So every zero cpb_removal_delay should be changed to a value of previous cpb_removal_delay plus two. In this case both MUI Generator & Scenarist are happy with file.
Trahald, what is you algorithm of recalculating cpb_removal_delay?
I had that error myself. I think it is something like "Program has a bug: - value of m_ptsOfGOP is empty". but I am pretty sure I got it wrong on the ptsOfGOP part, I am missing a part of the word.

In any case, I was able to mux a smaller AVC file after passing it through h264info (because the error seems to occur only on some part of files so a small one passed correctly) and the result was choppy playback. Every 2 seconds or something, the video skips. Seems like Scenarist is destroying something while muxing. If you do the same thing using the tsMuXER and tsremux guide the video plays back perfectly.
Creator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 06:51   #74  |  Link
PHD_1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator1 View Post
I had that error myself. I think it is something like "Program has a bug: - value of m_ptsOfGOP is empty". but I am pretty sure I got it wrong on the ptsOfGOP part, I am missing a part of the word.

In any case, I was able to mux a smaller AVC file after passing it through h264info (because the error seems to occur only on some part of files so a small one passed correctly) and the result was choppy playback. Every 2 seconds or something, the video skips. Seems like Scenarist is destroying something while muxing. If you do the same thing using the tsMuXER and tsremux guide the video plays back perfectly.
Creator1,
you are right about success with smaller part avc muxing via Scenarist. When I had this error it occured in the parts where cpb_removal_delay equals to the previous value - and that gave me a choppy playback. In these cases value should be set to previous plus 2 (two) - and stuttering is gone.

I don't think we should blame Scenarist - he's doing his job very well, though it's very picky for file structure. -)

Last edited by PHD_1976; 7th February 2008 at 12:31.
Old 7th February 2008, 15:25   #75  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

The problem is some streams structures make it impossible (at least so far) to calculate dpb_output_delay properly doing only one pass. I am going to add a 2 pass option. but im trying to speed up the app as the regular 1pass is slow as is. i think scenarist is relying pretty heavily on dpb_output_delay and its causing muxing issues. tsremux is likely ignoring it and figuring out timings on its own.

if you look at a stream, cpb_removal_delay is pretty simple.. its just the field count from last iframe based on coded order (not display order). for non pulldown would be 0,2,4,6,8... with the next i-frame having the highest #, the following frame being 2 again then so on. pulldown would factor in the extra fake fields pulldown creates.

if i am doubling cpb_removal_delay then thats bad.. i'll look at it. (you can have repeat values when there are series of i frames, normally avoided with min gop being 2 frames) if you can make a short stream available that is doubling cpb_removal_delays id like to take a look.
Old 7th February 2008, 15:30   #76  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectal Prolapse View Post
Hi trahald. This segment crashes h264info - I hope you can figure it out! Thanks!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rl63w1

This segment might be typical of Japanese HD-DVD h264 releases.
ill have a look
Old 7th February 2008, 22:43   #77  |  Link
Creator1

Quote:
The problem is some streams structures make it impossible (at least so far) to calculate dpb_output_delay properly doing only one pass. I am going to add a 2 pass option. but im trying to speed up the app as the regular 1pass is slow as is. i think scenarist is relying pretty heavily on dpb_output_delay and its causing muxing issues. tsremux is likely ignoring it and figuring out timings on its own.

if you look at a stream, cpb_removal_delay is pretty simple.. its just the field count from last iframe based on coded order (not display order). for non pulldown would be 0,2,4,6,8... with the next i-frame having the highest #, the following frame being 2 again then so on. pulldown would factor in the extra fake fields pulldown creates.

if i am doubling cpb_removal_delay then thats bad.. i'll look at it. (you can have repeat values when there are series of i frames, normally avoided with min gop being 2 frames) if you can make a short stream available that is doubling cpb_removal_delays id like to take a look.
Trahald,

Thank you for looking into it. I am a programmer but all this is above my knowledge because I know nothing of the AVC structure (well, I know more than before I started looking into a stream but still am clueless on most fields meaning) so I hope you can figure out a patch to make Scenarist happy.

Do you know if the other error about "ptsOfNextGOP is empty" is related to the same thing we are discussing now?

I still kinda get what you explained about cpb_removal_delay though so thanks for the info.

If PHD_1976 does not provide a stream that skips for you to analyze then I will do it.

One question though: do "remove pulldown" in h264info supposed to work correctly for 1080i 25fps AVC PAL streams too (comes from HDTV)? I am currently trying to make a blu-ray with that kind of source without re-encoding and am having problems. I need to confirm this but I think the video skips when played back even if I use the very same method as I did with a AVC source file coming from HD-DVD (which is h264info remove pulldown + tsMuxer + tsremux)

EDIT:
Here are the files. I am not sure if it will be able to help you but take a look:

AVC elementary file BEFORE applying h264info "remove pulldown":

http://rapidshare.com/files/90046951...ldown.avc.html

AVC elementary file AFTER applying h264info "remove pulldown":

http://rapidshare.com/files/90048724...ldown.avc.html

M2TS muxed by scenarist (with skipping) using the AVC file after applying h264info "Remove pulldown" and ac3 audio:

http://rapidshare.com/files/90044591/00000.m2ts.html

Last edited by Creator1; 8th February 2008 at 04:41.
Old 8th February 2008, 11:26   #78  |  Link
PHD_1976

Actually it's quite hard to provide a sample of the AVC part where exactly Scenarist give an error.
If Trahald checks whether cpb_removal_delay is doubled or not - that would be great (thanx in advance).
If this parameter is not doubled we should try to find another reason for this. that is hard without having sources.

I also have a 1080i 25 DVB avc stream, but even after h264info Scenarist keeps returning another error "This stream needs the SPI file" and I don't know what could it be.

BTW, about two consecutive IDR frames, I tried 3 variants (all I was changing was CPB_REMOVAL_DELAY):
1. 2nd IDR's CRD=previous. Result = video hangs
2. 2nd IDR's CRD=previous+2. Result = video hangs
3. 2nd IDR's CRD reset to 2. Result = video flawless

Last edited by PHD_1976; 8th February 2008 at 11:32.
Old 8th February 2008, 15:27   #79  |  Link
Creator1

Quote:
Actually it's quite hard to provide a sample of the AVC part where exactly Scenarist give an error.
If Trahald checks whether cpb_removal_delay is doubled or not - that would be great (thanx in advance).
If this parameter is not doubled we should try to find another reason for this. that is hard without having sources.

I also have a 1080i 25 DVB avc stream, but even after h264info Scenarist keeps returning another error "This stream needs the SPI file" and I don't know what could it be.

BTW, about two consecutive IDR frames, I tried 3 variants (all I was changing was CPB_REMOVAL_DELAY):
Check the level of your 25fps 1080i DVB file. My guess is, like mine, it will be MAIN level 4.0 or something like that. From what I can understand (I might be wrong), the SPI file is needed because the level is not HIGH 4.1 and some information is missing from the headers inside the AVC file. The headers of level 4.0 are quite smaller than the ones from level 4.1 and contains less infos. My guess is that an SPI file would provide the additionnal infos to scenarist but I have no idea how to create it.

The best results I had so far with my 1080i 25fps level 4.0 file was to pass the avc and ac3 streams directly into tsMuxeR by forcing a 24000/1001 framerate and forcing level 4.1. Then, the audio is still out of sync (I think it is to be expected because we go back to NTSC speed with the 23.976) and the video skips slightly at a constant rate. THe skip is less worse than the one that happens after using h264info on the stream but it's still not perfect.

Re-encoding the 25fps stream into a 23.976 progressive (Frame coding) avc file makes the video playback flawlessly, but we all want to not re-encode if possible...
Old 9th February 2008, 00:01   #80  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

Quote:

are you saying its doing something like 30 and then 30 right away? i was referring to more when there are three I's you might get 30, 2, 2 .. but 30, 30, 30 is way wrong.

that would be bad mmm k.

Last edited by Trahald; 9th February 2008 at 00:16.
Trahald is offline   Reply With Quote