Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th March 2011, 22:48   #5901  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Oh well. The failure replies are pretty much empty. Very weird. Is there a 3s delay for the failures as well as for the success?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 22:53   #5902  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

yep, just tried again: the 3 secs wait is mandatory either way..forgot to mention that. And yes, when it fails, the .dat file is empty.

I don't think I'm the only one w/ this problem, maybe their .dat will be more fruitful.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 22:56   #5903  |  Link
ryrynz

I think it would be a good idea to finally implement your final rendering path now and focus on the bugs after, nobody is going to complain about their reported bug not being fixed in the new version. At the end of the day it's your software Madshi.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 01:34   #5904  |  Link
pankov

madshi,
I'm breaking my promise and I'm reporting a problem with v0.43 but it's only to let you know - I can totally live with v0.42 until you finish the new rendering path.
I'm not certain why but v0.43 brought back the GUI redraw problems in ZoomPlayer. It behaves the same as pre v0.41 - I have make something to force a redraw of the GUI.
And again - don't bother fixing this before you implement the new exclusive rendering.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 11:28   #5905  |  Link
bjd

Quote:
Hmmmm... Do you have to reboot? Or does restarting the media player also help? My first guess would be that either your GPU driver has some kind of memory leak, resulting in problems after a while. Or that your GPU clocks down after a while and fails to clock up again. Can you try locking your GPU clocks and voltages at a fixed value, just as a test? You should be able to do that with one of the tweaker tools, I think.
@madshi - many thanks for this. I like you suspected memory leak, however I did notice looking at GPU-Z, that the card does clock down when Mpc-HC/MadVR is not in use. I have not had chance to fully test, but I am assuming this is the cause. Restarting Mpc-Hc makes no difference so have to resort to a reboot. Now all I have to do is find a way to clock the card at 100% as sadly RivaTuner does not give me any options with the GT430

Last edited by bjd; 7th March 2011 at 11:38.
bjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 13:17   #5906  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Madshi, 1 question: You said that in future, you'd like to adapt screen refresh rate to video framerate, but for videos which are in 23,976fps, they will be displayed at 23,976 fps whereas in the best scenario, it should be displayed at 24fps, no ?
Do you think it's the decoder or a post processing filter which should speed up the video ? Or we have to forget 24fps ?

Maybe I don't understand anything, but it could help me understand it better if you tell me where I'm wrong.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 17:42   #5907  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

very good, flv problem is solved now
great madshi!
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 23:23   #5908  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd View Post
Now all I have to do is find a way to clock the card at 100% as sadly RivaTuner does not give me any options with the GT430
Try with NVidia PowerMizer Manager.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 00:43   #5909  |  Link
dansrfe

Feature Request:

Hi madshi. If possible can you implement "save screenshot" in your renderer? Thanks.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 02:10   #5910  |  Link
bjd

Quote:
Try with NVidia PowerMizer Manager.
Thanks yesgrey, came across a link to it in another forum whilst researching the issue and it works a treat.

I spent about an hour monitoring the Nvidia card using GPU-Z and safely say the Nvidia Power saving logic is not very smart at all
bjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 02:13   #5911  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
the Nvidia Power saving logic is not very smart at all
A great fix is to reflash a BIOS that disables it completely...worked like a treat for me.

I also disabled the Speedstep of the CPU, the CPU/PCI-E Spread Spectrums and CPU/NB clock skews(jitter party \o/ )...this makes Reclock and mVR happy
Old 8th March 2011, 13:33   #5912  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
I spent about an hour monitoring the Nvidia card using GPU-Z and safely say the Nvidia Power saving logic is not very smart at all
Yes, that's why I perform my own power saving logic...

I installed nvidia system tools, and created two profiles. One with all the clocks set to the lowest, for day-to-day usage, because for most of the stuff that's plenty enough. For special usage, like when using mpc-hc, I created a profile with the normal clocks to be loaded whenever I use mpc-hc. So, power saving on everyday work, and top performance with mpc-hc.

Furthermore, every time you want to use your nvidia gpu at its top performance, you should open the nvidia control panel, select the "Adjust Image Settings With Preview", and then minimizing it. We need to do this to get low DPC latencies, which otherwise are always very high (nvidia drivers bug).
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 15:27   #5913  |  Link
fairchild

I'm assuming doing all these things for power management isn't needed with ATI cards? I always just let my card handle itself and throttle it's clocks dynamically. This shouldn't harm the card correct? For example, depending on the clip, madVR will sometimes take the card from it's idle state of 240mhz it then goes to 500mhz to 850mhz and changes the clock rate on it's own. Some clips it just goes to 850mhz and stays at that for the entirity of the clip, other times like I said it goes from 850mhz to 240mhz as needed.
Old 8th March 2011, 15:54   #5914  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I never fiddled with those setting on my NVIDIA either, and i never noticed any problems during playback. Maybe its running on too high clocks when idle, but *shrug*
Old 8th March 2011, 17:08   #5915  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
I'm assuming doing all these things for power management isn't needed with ATI cards? I always just let my card handle itself and throttle it's clocks dynamically. This shouldn't harm the card correct?
When I was using an HD3850, I remember spying on the clocks speed w/ RivaTuner and sometimes it was powering down for a few secs while using HR. I haven't done the same tests w/ mVR, though...but I don't trust all those speedstep mechanisms. Fixed speeds from top to bottom allow for less jitter in the end IMHO. Same goes for Speed Spectrums, some computer audio companies do advise to turn these off completely.
Old 8th March 2011, 19:09   #5916  |  Link
soulkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ah, you're *down*sizing, right? Then it makes sense. I originally thought you were upsizing.
Yes..i'm downsizing...so ne resize done by madvr...but it does it's magic concerning conversion to rgb, upsampling e.t.c..

Should i select YV12 or NV12 as ffdshow output?(the input of ffdshow is YV12..)

Quote:
Please try again with the next build. Might have been a bug.
no fix with 0.43...still composition rate is not shown in fullscreen exclusive mode....so probably AERO is disabled...
soulkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 19:21   #5917  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
I'm breaking my promise and I'm reporting a problem with v0.43 but it's only to let you know - I can totally live with v0.42 until you finish the new rendering path.
I'm not certain why but v0.43 brought back the GUI redraw problems in ZoomPlayer. It behaves the same as pre v0.41 - I have make something to force a redraw of the GUI.
Ok. I thought this wouldn't happen, but I know what causes it. Doesn't cost me any time to fix, so the fix will be included in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
Madshi, 1 question: You said that in future, you'd like to adapt screen refresh rate to video framerate, but for videos which are in 23,976fps, they will be displayed at 23,976 fps whereas in the best scenario, it should be displayed at 24fps, no ?
Do you think it's the decoder or a post processing filter which should speed up the video ? Or we have to forget 24fps ?
That's a complicated question. There are many options: E.g. you could convert the video to 24.000fps by using eac3to. Or you could use Reclock to change FPS to 24.000fps. Or you could use some other real time filter to perform the FPS change (don't know if any other filter exists, maybe an AviSynth script?). The problem with letting Reclock or some other filter change the FPS is that usually the video renderer doesn't really know about the FPS change. So madVR still thinks it's supposed to render at 23.976. The proper solution for that problem would be for Reclock to modify the video media type, too. But that's not easy to do. So this whole topic is kinda difficult. I guess I'll implement some kind of workaround. E.g. if the movie file name contains the text "@24.000Hz", madVR would force a switch to 24.000Hz instead of 23.976Hz, regardless of what the video track says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
very good, flv problem is solved now
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
If possible can you implement "save screenshot" in your renderer?
That's already on my to do list. There are a lot of things on my to do list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey View Post
Furthermore, every time you want to use your nvidia gpu at its top performance, you should open the nvidia control panel, select the "Adjust Image Settings With Preview", and then minimizing it. We need to do this to get low DPC latencies, which otherwise are always very high (nvidia drivers bug).
Ouch!

Was happens if you have high DPC latencies? Audio skips? Bad audio quality? Video stuttering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
I'm assuming doing all these things for power management isn't needed with ATI cards?
I've no idea. In theory it shouldn't be needed for *any* GPU. I've just suggested it as a possible solution because I've been told before that fixing the GPU clocks solved some funny problems. If you don't have any problems, then don't bother looking at the GPU clocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkeeper View Post
Should i select YV12 or NV12 as ffdshow output?(the input of ffdshow is YV12..)
It doesn't matter. It's one and the same to madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkeeper View Post
no fix with 0.43...still composition rate is not shown in fullscreen exclusive mode....so probably AERO is disabled...
Ok, I'll check that.
Old 8th March 2011, 19:36   #5918  |  Link
soulkeeper

Quote:

It doesn't matter. It's one and the same to madVR.
as it's the same to madvr,isn't it "safer" to choose ffdshow to output YV12(so that it doesn't make any conversion) and let madvr do it's magic?

@offtopic
are there any disadvantages in outputing yv12 in ffdshow?
soulkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 19:46   #5919  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Conversion between YV12 <-> NV12 is lossless. However, if ffdshow gets YV12 in, it might make sense to also output YV12 to save a tiny bit of CPU power.
Old 8th March 2011, 19:47   #5920  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey View Post
What do you consider "very high"?
According to that DPC Latency Checker, i have around 100-110 µs latency. This does not change if i open the panel, or run madVR, or play a game.

This is with a GTX 570 on 266.58 drivers.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling