Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th October 2017, 18:00   #46501  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it should be "the codec doesn't matter the image it self does" i don't know i miss the "n
't" often.
I knew what you meant

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 18:26   #46502  |  Link
Sarlaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Does this one fix the problem?

http://madshi.net/madHcCtrl.rar

Yes that fixes the issue!

Madshi
Sarlaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 04:36   #46503  |  Link
austinminton

Finally have managed to dump a few of my UHDs and have a bigger sample set for hdr files to play with madvr. My main question is related to what is the right nvidia setting to set in the control panel. I have been using rgb 4k@60 8bit till now but I wonder if that's incorrect to playback 10bit files. When madvr switches to 4k@23, does it also set 10bit? I have tried looking into all my tv/avr settings and can't find anything that can confirm bitdepth and color format unfortunately.

I have set 10bit and above in madvr for the panel (Sony 75z9d). Should I set the control panel to YCbCr 422 and 10bit?

I also have a file with 4k@60, 4:2:0, 10 bit HDR. Yes its a 60hz UHD. This one really confuses me since i know rgb 4k@60 10 bit wont work over hdmi. So somewhere its either getting converted to 8 bit or a lower chroma? It plays fine and looks very good to my eyes, but I 'need' to know if some unnecessary conversion is getting done somewhere. Madvr OSD says P010, 10-bit, 4:2:0 but I am not sure if that's what the GPU is finally passing to the panel?

Card is nvidia 1080 (385.41), latest madvr + lav filters. I am using FSE and madvr auto switch resolution for 4k@23, 4k@24, 4k@60. DXVA copyback in LAV.

Also I would like to say that I think my pc with madvr has a much better picture than my uhd player. Thanks madshi.

Last edited by austinminton; 13th October 2017 at 04:41.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 11:00   #46504  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:

Yes it does and I have to say its now much easier adding a custom resolution with madVR than through the nvidia control panel.

Last edited by Razoola; 13th October 2017 at 11:04.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 11:23   #46505  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:

I was FINALLY able to set up custom resolutions in madVR on my GTX1060.

A couple of things I learned:
  • Rebooting works better than Reset GPU.
  • Before you start, make sure the OS is showing only the native resolutions for your display and GPU.
  • Once the OS is aware of the new custom resolution you created, set the display to the new resolution via the OS to prepare for optimization.
  • After playing the video for 30 minutes, change the resolution on the display to a native resolution in the OS. Now when you click the Optimize button for the new resolution, you will finally get the optimization dialog.

All of this may not be necessary for everyone, but it worked for me on Win 10 Creators Update and the latest Nvidia driver. No more "The GPU has rejected this mode for some reason" errors.

The custom modes work perfectly, and I LOVE the results!

Last edited by jkauff; 13th October 2017 at 11:32.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 17:08   #46506  |  Link
j1731630

Is there option to disable image downscale, if source resolution exceeds monitor/tv?
Will be useful to capture UHD frames on FullHD display.
j1731630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 17:51   #46507  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1731630 View Post
Is there option to disable image downscale, if source resolution exceeds monitor/tv?
Will be useful to capture UHD frames on FullHD display.
That would be up to the video player how it manages its window dimensions.
Old 13th October 2017, 18:49   #46508  |  Link
omw2h

I really preferred the previous Adaptive Sharpen, the new one enhances grain/fine detail too much and may alias edges more then the previus one. Hopefully ramped-up LumaSharpen and the new AS are similar enough switch back AS... or some compromising words to get the previous one back.

previous
https://postimg.org/image/ix04at5cf/
new
https://postimg.org/image/3oa6x1r3j/

(nguAA veryhigh upscaler 1080->2160
upscaling refinement: AdaptiveSharpen 2.0, ThinEdges 4 )
omw2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 19:07   #46509  |  Link
pirlouy
_

You forgot original image untouched/unscaled for a true comparison.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 19:28   #46510  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Have you tried rebooting your OS? Is the custom mode still available after the reboot?
The Custom Mode is still active after reboot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
When madvr switches to 4k@23, does it also set 10bit? I have tried looking into all my tv/avr settings and can't find anything that can confirm bitdepth and color format unfortunately.
Go to the nvidia control panel and simply check if Output color depth is set to 10/12 bit...

If I remember correctly, madVR should switch to 10/12bit if you switch to it manually once... I could be wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
I also have a file with 4k@60, 4:2:0, 10 bit HDR. Yes its a 60hz UHD. This one really confuses me since i know rgb 4k@60 10 bit wont work over hdmi. So somewhere its either getting converted to 8 bit or a lower chroma? It plays fine and looks very good to my eyes, but I 'need' to know if some unnecessary conversion is getting done somewhere. Madvr OSD says P010, 10-bit, 4:2:0 but I am not sure if that's what the GPU is finally passing to the panel?
HDMI 2.0 supports up to 4K 60Hz 4:2:2 12bit, so set that if you are playing that file... also there's a 99% chance that your file is a test video, there probably will be one movie in 4K 60fps in the next 10 years, so you really shouldn't worry about 60Hz now...

Last edited by Q-the-STORM; 13th October 2017 at 19:40.
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 19:59   #46511  |  Link
omw2h

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
You forgot original image untouched/unscaled for a true comparison.
my bad, sorry.

original (no scaling or refinement)
https://postimg.org/image/l5iw5ujtr/
no upscaling refinement
https://postimg.org/image/ksrhzcolr/
only thined edges
https://postimg.org/image/y9ogi8ecv/
previous AS +te
https://postimg.org/image/ix04at5cf/
new AS +te
https://postimg.org/image/3oa6x1r3j/
omw2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 20:18   #46512  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

I have Epson EH-TW5300 projector and I watch UHD movies via MPC-HC + madVR + LAV Filters. As you know there is HDR and BT.2020. My projector isn't 4K and HDR, but movies with 2160p looks better then 1080p. My question is about madVR Settings > HDR, I mean which one should I use to have optimal experience and quality:

1. let madVR decide
2. convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math
3. process HDR content by using pixel shader math

When using option 1, I have darker colors, when 2 bright colors and 3 washed out colors. Which one is the most similar experience to real HDR effect?

I am confused...

Thank you in advance for your support.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 20:49   #46513  |  Link
huhn

you "need convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math" to get HDR to SDR "process HDR content by using pixel shader math" is for HDR screens.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 00:18   #46514  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
you "need convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math" to get HDR to SDR "process HDR content by using pixel shader math" is for HDR screens.
Indeed, but what about "Let MadVR decide" : shouldn't this default to "HDR -> SDR conversion using pixel shader math" ?
I am bit surprised about 1 not looking the same as 2.

Last edited by Pat357; 14th October 2017 at 00:22.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 00:21   #46515  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
Indeed, but what about "Let MadVR decide" : shouldn't this default "to HDR -> SDR conversion using pixel shader math" ?
It does, unless your screen supports native HDR (or at least claims to). Of course specifically selecting option 2 unlocks the fine-grained HDR controls, so maybe those aren't identical to the ones in auto mode.
Old 14th October 2017, 00:26   #46516  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear nevcairiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
It does, unless your screen supports native HDR (or at least claims to). Of course specifically selecting option 2 unlocks the fine-grained HDR controls, so maybe those aren't identical to the ones in auto mode.
Nope, I have disabled every option from "convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math". Still 1 not looking the same as 2.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 00:26   #46517  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-the-STORM View Post

HDMI 2.0 supports up to 4K 60Hz 4:2:2 12bit, so set that if you are playing that file... also there's a 99% chance that your file is a test video, there probably will be one movie in 4K 60fps in the next 10 years, so you really shouldn't worry about 60Hz now...
I avoid setting YCbCr in my nvidia. If you look at post 2 here, its best to stick with RGB as thats how windows thinks internally. I could set it for just this file, but that would require manual changes every time.

No, its not a test file. 10 years! Its happening right now.

This is the UHD:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Billy-...lu-ray/166477/
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 00:57   #46518  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by omw2h View Post
I really preferred the previous Adaptive Sharpen, the new one enhances grain/fine detail too much and may alias edges more then the previus one. Hopefully ramped-up LumaSharpen and the new AS are similar enough switch back AS... or some compromising words to get the previous one back.
Yeah.. If we stick with this I think I want more control over what it shapes than just ticking the box.. Madshi what's the chance of exposing some options for the new AA? If not I'll have to sit down and revisit my sharpener settings.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 01:49   #46519  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
RCA is very useful but some more steps between 1 and 4 would be nice. NGU sharp and standard still look pretty bad with files that "need" RCA even with RCA.

RCA softs the image a lot so i tried to compensate it with a sharpener
After more testing, RCA@1 is fantastic for low-res hopeless files that could use some smoothing anyway but indeed a far lower value would be ideal for files that come with both details and blocking. Anywhere between 0.1 and 0.5 might do the magic for those blocky and yet not quite hopeless videos
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 01:59   #46520  |  Link
valdeski

With madVR v0.92.6 I often get video player freezes when launching another DX11 application, like a game.
I'm using MPC-HC Nightly, Lav filters nightly with D3D11 Automatic (Native).
Video freezes but audio keeps playing, also d3d11 native switches to d3d11 copyback in lav filter video decoder window setting.
valdeski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling