Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 16th February 2009, 22:31   #2681  |  Link
RedSwirl

I'm being told that the current version of MK2VOB has an issue with converting mkvs with DTS sound.

...nevermind, didn't read the last couple posts. I'll try it tonight.
RedSwirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 22:33   #2682  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSwirl View Post
I'm being told that the current version of MK2VOB has an issue with converting mkvs with DTS sound.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I will read your mind and fix the issue immediately.
3r1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 22:37   #2683  |  Link
RedSwirl

The one big problem I have always had with mk2vob though is that whenever I convert something with subtitles (that aren't hard-encoded onto the video), the subtitles always come out in a default font different from how the originally displayed.

It's still perfectly readable most of the time, but the process reverses anything the original subtitler may have done to make the words more readable against certain backgrounds in the video.

Is there any way to make sure the subtitles stay in their original format?
Old 16th February 2009, 22:41   #2684  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
The one big problem I have always had with mk2vob though is that whenever I convert something with subtitles (that aren't hard-encoded onto the video), the subtitles always come out in a default font different from how the originally displayed.

It's still perfectly readable most of the time, but the process reverses anything the original subtitler may have done to make the words more readable against certain backgrounds in the video.

Is there any way to make sure the subtitles stay in their original format?
SRT Subtitles (which are by far the most popular so I assume you are using these) are stored as text without formatting, except for basic bold, italic.
A player is free to show the subtitles in whatever font it wants.
The way mkv2vob does it might look different from another player, but there is no "right" or "wrong" way of doing it.

If you mean SSA/ASS subtitles, those arent supported by the muxing apps and need to be converted to SRT which again has no formatting.
Old 16th February 2009, 23:10   #2685  |  Link
befcasr

I have just tried converting an mkv with 5.1 DTS audio, however when played on PS3 it says that the audio is only 2 channel. This is using 2.4.4. Additionally, i have set the file to be split into 4gb files for FAT32, 2 of the files play but the other 2 do not. The PS3 reports one as being unsupported, and another as not having enough memory!
befcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 03:00   #2686  |  Link
RedSwirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r1c View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I will read your mind and fix the issue immediately.
All I was told was this from a guy at the Playstation forums:

"The problem was caused buy the MKV container. if the ripper had left it as a M2TS file, it would have just played. MKVTOVOB/M2TS has what was a well Known bug when handling DTS audio only MKV. Due to the library its using, it can fail. what you need to do is convert the DTS stream to another audio codec first. instead convert the DTS to AAC 5.1 or DD5.1 then use a remuxer to combine it with the H264 video stream as MP4/M2TS. "
Old 17th February 2009, 03:01   #2687  |  Link
3r1c

I think he has no idea what he is talking about.
mkv2vob has worked with dts files (converting to ac3) for more then a year.
Old 17th February 2009, 03:02   #2688  |  Link
RedSwirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by befcasr View Post
I have just tried converting an mkv with 5.1 DTS audio, however when played on PS3 it says that the audio is only 2 channel. This is using 2.4.4. Additionally, i have set the file to be split into 4gb files for FAT32, 2 of the files play but the other 2 do not. The PS3 reports one as being unsupported, and another as not having enough memory!
I do remember once converting an mkv file that had DD5.1 sound and it remained 5.1 when I played it on my PS3. There was a significant sound lag meaning that something else had gone wrong, but it was still coming out on five channels.
Old 17th February 2009, 03:08   #2689  |  Link
RedSwirl

Also, if you want to take a file (maybe already converted) and just split it without going through the whole conversion thing, what would you do?

I'm still not sure whether I want my movies in two different halves. Even if the files are too big for FAT32 I've still got TVersity to stream them, so I'd like to have both options without going through the conversion process twice.
Old 17th February 2009, 06:47   #2690  |  Link
RedSwirl

Okay, I tried converting a movie tonight and video-wise it went smoothly. My main problem seems to be sound.

This didn't use to happen with smaller mkvs (with pretty much identical properties otherwise), but now whenever I'm done converting I get a video with no sound at all when I play it on my computer. When I stream it on the PS3 through DLNA, I just get static for sound. This isn't just happening on the movies that originally had DTS (which on the PS3 came out as 2Ch PCM), but on all of the movies I've tried.

Since the latest updates I haven't done anything with the sound settings in mk2vob. They are all default except I have the preferred language changed to Japanese.

"Use PCM instead of AC3" is unchecked. "Use 448kbps AC3" is also unchecked. "Don't use DTS in PCM" is unchecked as well. I can get this to work if I just get around this sound issue.
Old 17th February 2009, 06:50   #2691  |  Link
3r1c

Try check "Use old file format"
Old 17th February 2009, 06:54   #2692  |  Link
RedSwirl

I'll set that on tonight and continue when I wake up tomorrow.

Also I just found out that the subtitles are in "ASS" format. The original audio for the movies I have is either Japanese DTS 5.1 or Japanese AC3 5.1 (I think), both in 640kbps.
Old 17th February 2009, 14:37   #2693  |  Link

Quote:
Also I just found out that the subtitles are in "ASS" format. The original audio for the movies I have is either Japanese DTS 5.1 or Japanese AC3 5.1 (I think), both in 640kbps.
This means you didn't make the encode yourself. I hope your 30 days time off will motivate you to obey our forum rules.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 14:50   #2694  |  Link
pmluke

Hi thanks for this great program, I just have one problem. I can convert a movie with DTS audio to AVCHD ( usb) The ps3 wll show that the movie is playing DTS audio but my reciever will only play it in 2 channel. AC3 5.1 works fine. Any suggestions
Thanks
pmluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 19:06   #2695  |  Link
3r1c

V2.4.5 18/Feb/2009
Added DTS can now be transcoded to AC3 in AVCHD mode (if you want to reduce filesize).
Fixed "unsupported" or "out of memory" error on ps3 with some split files.
Fixed old ac3 encoder which causes stuttering still used when downsampling/fixing ac3.
Fixed DVD-5 split sometimes a few bytes too large.
Old 18th February 2009, 22:41   #2696  |  Link
Quatre

Quote:
V2.4.4 16/Feb/2009
Added DTS can now be played from file without transcoding (Disc/Streaming). *

* Do not change any settings in the ps3 that effects audio playback.
The PS3 must pass the DTS to your audio receiver untouched.
The options when you press triangle must be Audio: Left + Right and Volume: Normal.
(Disc/Streaming)?
so does this mean it can now play dts audio from a file say on an ext. usb hdd now or not? if so that is pretty huge and there is getting to be less and less of a reason to use my popcorn hour for movies though I still prefer it.

I do still however prefer 720p tv eps from a 2.5" ext. usb hdd formatted to fat32 on the ps3. Maybe If I didn't have to store my avchd vid cam clips on the ps3, I would transfer movies onto there (I dont like streaming from pc) or if the ps3 could hold larger then 320gb hdd. but i think that is still the largest 2.5" sata drives they make.
Quatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 22:55   #2697  |  Link
3r1c

Yes you can play DTS from files on a usb hdd.
Old 18th February 2009, 23:02   #2698  |  Link
Quatre

Quote:
Yes you can play DTS from files on a usb hdd.
sweet thanks. thats pretty huge. the prog has come a long way and your updates have been stellar.
Quatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 15:06   #2699  |  Link
synce

Awesome program, but is it possible to listen to the commentary track? (I don't see it anywhere in the audio language category.) Thanks

Last edited by synce; 21st February 2009 at 15:10.
synce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:52   #2700  |  Link
incognitos

Hello!
1. Why AVCHD without transcoding are only for AVCHD with height above 584? (Technical problem?). It's a huge problem because 90% of 720p mkv's are 544, sometimes 528 or 536. Is it a chance that mkv under 584 will be convert without transcoding in the near future?
2. "For USB mode The output wiil be FAT32 Compliant, but You still require a drive with enough free for the whole movie" - I have 8GB USB drive... if I convert to AVCHD USB for example 6 GB movie (I cant choose file splitting), then outputfile will be in 2 parts 4gb and 2GB? and I can play it on my PS3?? But i must have this two parts on my 8GB usb drive?? Is that correct??

PS: Sorry for my English

Last edited by incognitos; 23rd February 2009 at 21:57.
incognitos is offline   Reply With Quote