Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 30th April 2007, 18:20   #1  |  Link
dhmk

AVIAddXSubs: Incorporate subtitles (.srt) to avi files quick and easily

AVIAddXSubs incorporates subtitles (XSUB) to avi files to play in your hardware DivX player. From v9.0 is able generate idx/sub from srt, too.

Just place the avi and its associated (same name) srt in the same directory, drag&drop one of them in the icon or shortcut of the program, press a button and get, in 2-3 minutes, a divx file ready to play in your DivX player.

NOTE: This program do not use DivXMux.exe utility.

For more information and download visit http://aviaddxsubs.blogspot.com.

Version 9.10.

Comments, problems, questions in this thread.

Last edited by dhmk; 4th December 2011 at 14:27.
dhmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 06:39   #2  |  Link
dhmk

Now version 6.0, with "unpack packed bitstream" option.
Old 29th February 2008, 17:53   #3  |  Link
kim1406

a new version dated February 28, 2008 is available now.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 09:02   #4  |  Link
picrade

I have encountered problems when using this program with some idx/sub subtitles extracted from DVDs.
The problem is that in some cases the subtitles are displayed in wrong colors.
I have to turn on custom colors to get them to display correctly.
And in some cases they don't display at all, even with custom colors.

In all these cases the subtitles are displayed correctly when using DirectVobSub or when using DivXMux,
without having to resort to custom colors.

I will give a couple of examples.

Example 1) DVD palette is as follows (colors 0 to 15):

000000, dacc26, 000000, 000000, 000000, dacc26, 000000, 000000, 000000, dacc26, 000000, 000000, 000000, dacc26, 000000, 000000

The b,p,e1,e2 colors as reported by DVDSubEdit are:

b color=15, contrast=0
p color=14, contrast=15
e1 color=13, contrast=15
e2 color=12, contrast=15

The subtitles on DVD are yellow text (e1) with black outline (p).

When using this with AVIAddXSubs, the subtitles are displayed with black text and yellow outlines.
In other words p and e1 are reversed.
When I turn on custom colors in VobSub Configure then this program produces subtitles with correct colors.

custom colors: ON, tridx: 1000, colors: 000000, 000000, dacc26, 000000

Example 2) DVD palette is as follows (colors 0 to 15):

ba6a23, 000000, 000000, fdfdfd, 781b19, ea12eb, faff1a, 095d76, 7c7c7c, e0e0e0, 701f03, 077307, 11eb10, fdfdfd, cce251, c15d42

The b,p,e1,e2 colors as reported by DVDSubEdit are:

b color=3, contrast=0
p color=3, contrast=15
e1 color=3, contrast=15
e2 color=2, contrast=15

The subtitles on DVD are white text (p) with black outline (e2).

In this case the AVI muxed with AVIAddXSubs does not display subtitles at all, even after turning on custom colors.
I have tried a dozen permutations of custom colors to no avail.
The subtitles just won't display.

It seems to me that the program expects the colors to always be in certain order, i.e., b is background color, p is text, e1 is
outline and e2 is anti-aliasing. This is not always the case for every DVD because of different color mappings used.

In the first example above the p and e1 are reversed.
In the second example I suspect that because p and e1 are the same color as the transparent background (b)
then the subtitles are totally transparent and invisible.
I don't think any custom colors will help in case 2.

As I stated earlier DirectVobSub and DivXMux have no problem mapping correct colors.

Anyway these are my observations after some experiments with this program.
But I am not an expert in this area.

If you have any suggestion to get the subtitles in example 2 to display, please let me know.

Last edited by picrade; 9th April 2008 at 09:23.
picrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 11:26   #5  |  Link
dhmk

I think custom colors always can work.

AVIAddXSubs logic expects that always only the first 4 colors are used in the palette.

Custom colors are always 4, compatible with XSUB subtitles specifications. So they have to work. In readme.htm is a section describing what to do with idx/sub subtitles.

Let me know if you can get a better result this way.

You can go to AVIAddXSubs site and send me a message so I provide you an email to send me this idx/sub to have a look. Or you can download it somewhere so i get it from there. (rapidshare etc)
Old 9th April 2008, 13:37   #6  |  Link
Glorioso

Is there a way to work around the 4gb limit?
Glorioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 05:29   #7  |  Link
dhmk

At the moment the only solution is to break the file in smaller parts. This can be done without reencoding and so it is fast.

It is in my plans for AVIAddXSubs to generate AVI 2.0 files to overcome the 4GB limit.
Old 10th April 2008, 07:05   #8  |  Link
Ryu77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmk View Post
At the moment the only solution is to break the file in smaller parts. This can be done without reencoding and so it is fast.

It is in my plans for AVIAddXSubs to generate AVI 2.0 files to overcome the 4GB limit.
How can this be done when the DivX media format is built upon AVI v1.0 specifications. If you do this you will inherently be creating files that are non compliant with DivX ultra certified devices. Unless the devices will still accept this non compliant format?
Ryu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 13:53   #9  |  Link
Glorioso

Quote:

How can i split then ad the subs?

I'm working to make PS3 compatible files but must of the files i have are 4gb+, the other problem is that your program dont have HD (720/1080) options, can you add it?

Last edited by Glorioso; 10th April 2008 at 19:25.
Glorioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 07:04   #10  |  Link
dhmk

Ryu77, (a bit late answer) AVI is a container format. I don't think so that DivX specification have much to do with it or put a limitation on this. There is no need for that. My player is able to play AVI 2.0 files but starts faster when the AVI is 1.0. The two files will result from the split, can be in AVI 1.0 because they will be smaller than 4GB. When AVIAddXSubs supports AVI 2.0 this will be applied to files bigger than 4GB only.

Note that AVIAddxSubs reads AVI2.0 files, if less than 4GB, and converts them to AVI1.0.

Glorioso, You have to use some software to do that. Is not very difficult. You can use Subtitle Workshop which is freeware too and a very good program.

The resolution you are referring has to do with subtitle bitmaps, not the resolution of the video content. There is a parallel picture which is merged by player's firmware before the image is send to TV. Is not like the way those things work on PC.

But, in any case, there is the "Custom" option. Isn't there?

Last edited by dhmk; 2nd May 2008 at 05:14.
Old 30th April 2008, 23:40   #11  |  Link
awx

I tested this app but was frustrated by the UI. The lack of support for Unicode Srt subtitle files was also frustrating.

Finally, the program produced files that the PS3 would show as corrupted data on the XMB but the PS3 would actually play these files. All of the files that I tested were over 2 gb if that makes a difference.
awx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 06:38   #12  |  Link
dhmk

awx,

What is this XMB? Unicode files can be easily converted to ANSI with Windows Notepad.

I am sorry that you were frustrated with the UI, but why? You are the first to tell me that. You expect a UI like Micorosost Office, something that try to sell you 1000 things to use only 2-3 of them, with bell and whistles? Is not my philosophy. This program has only one thing to do and has to do it the easiest way possible, the one I found as the best, as a user of it, first of all. One drag&drop and press Create.

Try to see things in the light of simplicity and not in the logic of the usual bloat-ware out there.

That the files were over 2GB indicates that maybe were multi-part AVI 2.0. Those files are converted by AVIAddXSubs to avi 1.0. The programs I use to analyse avi (for example the GSpot) never showed any indication of a problem in this conversion. AVI smaller than 1GB, for example the usual TV size of 350MB, when processed by the program, look to this XMB the same?

Possibly is a problem of this XMB that doesn't recognize XSUB subtitles stream as something legal. PS3 XSUB support in only one month old, you know.

Last edited by dhmk; 2nd May 2008 at 05:16.
Old 1st May 2008, 07:45   #13  |  Link
awx

Quote:
What is this XMB?
The PS3 GUI.

Quote:
Unicode files can be easily converted to ANSI with Windows Notepad.
Yes, but you lose all the special characters.

Quote:
I am sorry that you were frustrated with the UI, but why? Is the first to tell me that.
Try to see things in the light of simplicity and not in the logic of the usual bloat-ware out there.
I would prefer it to be more simple than it is. Maybe taking some inspiration from YAMB would be a start.

It would also be nice if it automatically recognized subtitles named like Movie.English.srt.

Quote:
Possibly is a problem of this XMB that doesn't recognize XSUB subtitles stream as something legal. PS3 XSUB support in only one month old, you know.
I don't think that's it. It hasn't been a problem with DivX+XSUB files from other apps.

I think your app has promise so I hope you keep working on it.
awx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 08:30   #14  |  Link
dhmk

Quote:
Yes, but you lose all the special characters.
What special characters? If the default language in your Windows is the same as of the srt, then will be no problem. Special characters always existed, before Windows support of Unicode.

And you know, if there is a problem is also in the reverse direction which is the rule now (and all we have to follow). From ANSI srt to Unicode, as 99.9% of them are in ANSI text format. In my country, I am sure, but also in all others, judging from the feedback I have so far.

Quote:
It would also be nice if it automatically recognized subtitles named like Movie.English.srt.
Try to think the way this program works and expects things. Maybe you find it very convenient finally.
Old 1st May 2008, 21:53   #15  |  Link
krisq

Just for the record. Everything works fine here on ps3 (files with mulitiple subtitle streams). Love this tool. Thank you!
Old 8th May 2008, 18:55   #16  |  Link
kingfire

Can the X360 plays XSUB or separated idx/sub ?

the only extra feature I need is a preview of what the generated file is EXPECTED to look like with the new subtitles, a feature that AviSub and Sub2DivX has.
thanks for the great tool.
kingfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 19:14   #17  |  Link
numaios

Hi!

I've been trying to mux VobSub files into an AVI file using AVIAddXsubs.

The point is that these VobSub subtitles have some subs at the top of the frame and others at the bottom, but after finishing multiplexing process, all the subs show at the bottom of the screen.

Any idea of why and how could it be handled?

Thanks a lot.

PS: I tried enabling/disabling "Full screen" option in Configuration page, but it doesn't change anything.

Last edited by numaios; 8th May 2008 at 19:36.
numaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 04:33   #18  |  Link
dhmk

kingfire, As I have read XBOX has no support for XSUB subtitles at the moment. AVIAddXSubs adds an XSUB stream to an avi file, using subtitles from a srt or idx/sub.

kingfire, the only useful information from a preview, like in the the other mentioned programs, is how the font used it looks like, which you already know. As I mention in the site, whatever you do in your PC will not be the same in your external player because XSUB subtitles are handled differently from every player, especially at where will be placed in the screen. So the only useful preview you can get is from your player directly, experimenting.

numaios, if you can upload those subtitles (idx/sub I suppose) in www.rapidshare.com or give me a link to download them, so I look at them.
Old 9th May 2008, 04:51   #19  |  Link
numaios

dhmk, I have uploaded these subs (in idx/sub format, extracted from the VOB files ripped to my HDD) and sent the link to you via PM.

Thanks!
Old 9th May 2008, 09:48   #20  |  Link
nass06

Hello, when i open AVIAddXSubs.exe i have this :

= (RT) [Form] : Property/function not supported or improper value (BORDER) - Line 287

Why?
nass06 is offline   Reply With Quote