Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th March 2012, 22:13   #12801  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
NV12 is preferred because it allows renderer deinterlacing, while YV12 normally doesn't (not important for madVR though, it'll convert internally if it has to, but EVR doesn't)
They contain the exact same information, but basically all GPUs don't natively handle YV12, they prefer NV12.

Difference to ffdshow? Sure, i do it the right way, not the ffdshow way. I'm tired of those comparisons.
LAVFilters are without a doubt far superior to ffdshow decoders. I did not intend to compare between the two since LAV is so much higher than ffdshow.

I also wanted to take this chance to thank you very much for all your hard work with LAVFilters. They are truly amazing and I haven't used anything else since I found out about them. I love seeing how clean the filter chain is and how fast CUVID decoding works compared to what I had previously.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 22:49   #12802  |  Link
THEAST

Hmm, I'm getting a little bit lost here; I had never played DVDs with MPC before and had been using PowerDVD for this purpose thus far but I decided to give MPC a try, yet I can't seem to be able to get the configuration right.

If I use Dscaler for decoding, VMR works fine, Haali renderer crashes or hangs MPC right away, madVR starts playing the file with no video but upon seeking, the video appears and continues playing but MPC completely become unresponsive. On the other hand, if I use ffdshow or MPC's internal MPEG2 decoder, VMR and Haali work fine but in case of madVR, after a maximum of 5 seeks, MPC becomes unresponsive again while the video continues playing fine. I have the same problem on both my desktop which has an ATI VGA and my laptop that has an Nvidia one.

Can somebody tell me whether I'm doing sth wrong or madVR currently has issues with DVD playback?

P.S. My codecs/players are pretty much up to date, maybe just a few builds behind SVN.
THEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 03:08   #12803  |  Link
agustin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEAST View Post
Hmm, I'm getting a little bit lost here; I had never played DVDs with MPC before and had been using PowerDVD for this purpose thus far but I decided to give MPC a try, yet I can't seem to be able to get the configuration right.

If I use Dscaler for decoding, VMR works fine, Haali renderer crashes or hangs MPC right away, madVR starts playing the file with no video but upon seeking, the video appears and continues playing but MPC completely become unresponsive. On the other hand, if I use ffdshow or MPC's internal MPEG2 decoder, VMR and Haali work fine but in case of madVR, after a maximum of 5 seeks, MPC becomes unresponsive again while the video continues playing fine. I have the same problem on both my desktop which has an ATI VGA and my laptop that has an Nvidia one.

Can somebody tell me whether I'm doing sth wrong or madVR currently has issues with DVD playback?

P.S. My codecs/players are pretty much up to date, maybe just a few builds behind SVN.
DVD Playback isn't officially supported yet
agustin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 04:46   #12804  |  Link
FlashGordon

madshi, here is the sample from the silent film blu-ray: http://www.mediafire.com/?tsydibjadsd8zs8

I'm willing to guess that the end framerate after IVTC is still >24fps, hence the framedrops in 24Hz mode. The combing without IVTC isn't as pronounced as interlaced DVDs, I actually didn't notice it as first... but madvr seems to get rid of it completely
FlashGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 13:38   #12805  |  Link
THEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustin9 View Post
DVD Playback isn't officially supported yet
Oh, I see, I got a little bit confused seeing many people talking about Dscaler and reclock and stuff here, thanks for the info.
Old 18th March 2012, 14:08   #12806  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
rahzel, no need to add custom resolutions.

Add

HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD%,1

to each section of your driver inf before installing, lines that begins with

[nv_miscBase_addreg_

eg

[nv_miscBase_addreg__01]
HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD%,1

I often have to do a clean driver install, to make this take effect, if I had installed drivers previously without it.
Anyone knows if this is still needed to do with the latest NVIDIA driver?
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 14:33   #12807  |  Link
mark0077

Seems to be yes and also still needed in win8. Can believe there's no GUI based option for this yet.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 17:32   #12808  |  Link
agustin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEAST View Post
Oh, I see, I got a little bit confused seeing many people talking about Dscaler and reclock and stuff here, thanks for the info.
You're welcome Have you tried setting the mpeg2 decoder in ffdshow to libmpeg2? Don't forget to tick the "DVD decoding" option
agustin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 19:02   #12809  |  Link
Libeluratio

Hello everybody,

I am used to change the framerate of my 25fps movie to 23.976 with eac3to and mkvmerge but the "ctrl+j" menu of madvr still says they are 25fps movie.

I checked with mediainfo that tells me they are, as expected, 23.976fps movies.

Do you know what I could change to make madvr understand it is now a 23.976fps movie ? because when it misunderstands framerate, the info about "one frame drop every x minutes" is false, etc.

Do I need to retag my movies ? how ? Why media info tells me the good framerate and madvr is not ?

Thank you so much
Libeluratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 23:34   #12810  |  Link
THEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustin9 View Post
You're welcome Have you tried setting the mpeg2 decoder in ffdshow to libmpeg2? Don't forget to tick the "DVD decoding" option
Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, ffdshow (both libavcodec and libmpeg2) works fine with Haali renderer or VMR for DVD playback but not madVR. Although now that I read the "known problems" in the first page, it is stated that DVD playback should work fine on XP and I'm using XP.
Old 18th March 2012, 23:51   #12811  |  Link
pankov

madshi,
I'd like to report a few problems with madVR I had since yesterday when I installed my new projector (EPSON TW9000 / 6010 in the US) which supports 3D.
First let me say that I'm truly amazed by the looks of bright 3D. I hate my local cinemas which don't want to invest in new projectors/lamps and simply ruin the pleasure with such dim presentation. I also hate the "authorities" (SMPTE) that agreed that the minimum standard for 3D in theaters should be 4.5 ft-lamberts, while the minimum for 2D is 12 ft-lamberts (recommended 16 ft-lamberts). That's enough hate for the moment - I will simply enjoy my bright 3D home cinema from now on
Now let me share my problems.
Everything started with the stupid limitation of NVidia that I can't have 3D (frame packing) on my secondary monitor - it only works on the primary. I lost a few hours searching the internet why I can't make my new projector run in 3D mode until a friend of mine told me that for him it only works when the 3D HDMI 1.4 display is the primary monitor. Does anybody know if ATI/AMD has the same limitation? Since my PC serves me both as HTPC and a workstation I'd like to continue using my LCD monitor as primary device and have the projector as secondary. This lead to problem 1:
After I watched a 3D movie with TMT I decided to switch back to my default profile (the PJ as secondary) and watch a 2D movie. I did so using UltraMon (if I remember correctly - it was last night and I had guests so I left the report for today - only managed to make a log file) and fired up Zoom Player on the secondary monitor and started the playback. Strangely all I got was audio and a black screen. At the same time the primary monitor was blinking like crazy. I did restart the player but it didn't help. I also tried changing the refresh rate / mode of the secondary display but it didn't help. I then changed the renderer to EVR and it worked just fine, so I was pretty sure it was a problem in madVR. I made a log ("madVR - log - blinking primary and black secondary.txt" - in the archive bellow) and I hope you'll be able to see problem. The only think that helped was a full restart of the PC.

Today I watched more 3D and out of curiosity I decided to test how will madVR behave in this "HD 3D" mode as NVidia call it. So here comes problem 2:
madVR shows a black screen and hangs the player when I try to seek. I've made both a debug log ("madVR - log - black screen + freeze on seek.txt") and freeze report which are also in the archive below.
In this "HD3D" mode EVR is showing images only for the right eye, with the left I see only a black screen.
I've tested the playback both in Zoom Player and MPC-HC and they behave exactly the same.
The Windows' desktop and player UI are OK ... except the right click popup menu in Firefox which behaves the same as the video window - black with the left eye and OK with the right ... also the UI of the ArcSoft's TMT 5 is visible only with the right eye ... but only until I start the movie.
To avoid "problem 1" I decided to change the display mode manually using NVIDIA Control Panel but left the projector as primary - didn't want to go to the PC at that moment. I did change it to a normal 1080p50 mode and the projector changed to 2D mode accordingly. I confirmed the changed and closed the control panel. So far so good. I started Zoom Player again and selected a recording of the today's F1 Australian Grand Prix and all of sudden both the NVIDIA and the projector were back to 3D HD mode !?!?!? How is this possible? What did madVR do to trigger it ?!?!? I'm not sure it's madVR's fault but let's call this "problem 3" for now.
This behavior made me remember something that I read in the notes when I finished the 3D Stereoscopic setup I did yesterday in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I think I saw something similar saying that the next time a player requests 3D mode it will lauch automatically and I don't have to switch manually from the NVidia Control Panel. This sounded nice but the question is "how is madVR requesting this special 3D mode".

Does anybody else have similar issues/experience with NVIDIA, a 3D HDMI 1.4 display/projector and madVR?

Here is the link for the log/freeze report files
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2u2niae9xzqgdub
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 00:45   #12812  |  Link
Pat357

Mad,

A new freeze-report :

MPC-HC v4153 froze at the moment that I tried to open a file while another was still playing. MadVR was in FSE.
I ended up with a the well known black screen that covers everything.
Even after bringing up the taskman, all "opened" windows are down in the task-bar and there is no way I know of to bring them up.
I clicked on the madTraceProcess and pressed <enter> hoping that indeed the MPC-HC-process was traced (couldn't see the window to select which process to trace)

Further I was using all the LAV filters, LAV-video in DVXA-CB mode.

I took a quick look at the report myself : seems at bit strange because there is no word about the LAV filters and neither from MPC-HC although certainly I have the LAV's pdb files in the LAV directory.

Because I updated MPC-HC to a newer version, I didn't have the PDB files for it, so no MPC-HC detailed info, in case you find something about MPC-HC. I could not find anything.

Would it bring anything to put the PDB files I have from an earlier MPC-HC version in the directory with the recent MPC-HC ?. (I guess not, but I ask anyway)
(like I only have .PDB's from MPC-HC v4130 & I'm using v4153 now)

Strange freeze report is here :

http://www.mediafire.com/?kglxuy5sn975fo2

MadVR settings
Queue sizes CPU/GPU : 12/16
wait 3s before FSE : no
delay PB until buffers are filled : yes
D3D9 mode for presentation (not D3D11)
Display changer :
modes : 1080p60, 1080p50, 1080p48
switch when playback starts, restore when player is closed.
Aero only disabled when in FS.
Present 4 frames in advance
Run presentation in separate thread (otherwise I have always glitches)

Hardware : CPU i7-970 3.7 GHZ / Nvidia GTX-570 / 24GB RAM / Win7 Prof. SP1 (auto updates)

PS:
I wanted to test the Madvr build-in VC1 decoder (Intel version), but it the player stalls upon opening the file (no "images" viewed and yes I have the "libmfxsw32.dll" in the Madvr directory).

The pin-connection from Madvr says indeed WVC1, but the files never start to play.
I was especially interested in the Intel codec for interlaced VC1.
The ffmpeg/libav decoders work for all 3 codecs. (interlaced VC1 excluded)
Any idea why the Intel decoder doesn't work here for VC1 ?
I even tried an updated "libmfxsw32.dll", but no avail.
Would a log file help ?
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 00:55   #12813  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
madshi, here is the sample from the silent film blu-ray: http://www.mediafire.com/?tsydibjadsd8zs8

I'm willing to guess that the end frame-rate after IVTC is still >24fps, hence the framedrops in 24Hz mode. The combing without IVTC isn't as pronounced as interlaced DVDs, I actually didn't notice it as first... but madvr seems to get rid of it completely
I wonder how Madvr knows the correct display refresh-rate if it can't determine the correct cadence ?
It seems that in this case, something like a 3:2 cadence applies.

Last edited by Pat357; 19th March 2012 at 00:58.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 05:46   #12814  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
I wonder how Madvr knows the correct display refresh-rate if it can't determine the correct cadence ?
Initially it goes by content flags and if mostly progressive then cadence is checked throughout playback, if it says interlaced then inverse telecine (23.976 after 3:2 cadence) is assumed. I think that's how it works although I may be wrong.

Last edited by dansrfe; 19th March 2012 at 20:07.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 08:49   #12815  |  Link
Mikey2

What is wrong with the "BT.709/601 curve" for gamma processing?

I find that I have very vibrant shades with this turned on..i.e. I like it! However, "power curve" while still improving the picture, sometimes makes discerning brightness right at the 16-17 border of the RGB scale difficult to see.

However, every site I have found, including this thread, only recommends using the "Power Curve." Since the BT.709/601 curve is anything but subtle, I am worried about using it since it never seems to be recommended. What is if for and why should I not use it?

BTW - Concerning DVD playing on MPC-HC without the Macrovision error, I was able to re-apply the qdvd fix and it is working again....sometimes...VERY often I will have it working then once again MPC will stop responding. However, it is happening so randomly that I cannot give an accurate bug-report/reproduction steps. I will respond again once I Have them.

Here is the site where I found both another link fot he qdvd fix and a guide for using Gamma processing on madVR. (In addition, I have found this to be the most useful and complete guide to setting up everything!)

Furthermore, there is a link to a very nice suite of test-calibration files. Running "1-Black Clipping.mp4" and turning on "BT.709/601 curve" (at least on my system) drastically shows what I mean. While the reference black is still correct, the flashing signals for 17-25 are VERY vibrant with that processer in effect, while the power curve set at 230 all but makes bar 17 disappear...

http://www.homecinema-hd.com/astuces...#madvr_astuces

cheers!
MikeY

PS - I am using a high-end Pioneer Kuro plasma as my display (5010FD.) I do not have a calibrator, so I cannot calibrate it. Still, given that I have a monitor that corretly displays 0-255 colorspace and is arguably one of the best displays available, I do not understand why I see such a positive difference using this instead of the power-curve... (Edit - that said, the biggest difference between my Kuro and the "Elite" models is that I have limited control over the Gamma on my display. In face, there are just three abstract settings: 1,2,3. )

Last edited by Mikey2; 19th March 2012 at 09:41.
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 14:07   #12816  |  Link
deado

I'm using Windows 8 Consumer Preview and I can't seem to get madVR Exclusive mode working in MPC-HC, just doesn't activate when I switch to full screen. I got the newest versions of everything.

Anyone else get this? any solution?
deado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 14:13   #12817  |  Link
noee

It's probably too early to care. I found that if I used the D3D11 device, then it would go into FSE mode once, then all subsequent playback would not until I stopped and restarted the player (jRiver MC17).

Nevermind that there are other issues with the Win8CP regarding dual-mon and refresh rate and WDM1.2 in general. One thing I do notice is that everything "GPU" related seems faster at this early stage. While AMD and nVidia both have "Win8" drivers, IMO we're still too far out for reliable daily HTPC use.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 14:16   #12818  |  Link
deado

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
It's probably too early to care. I found that if I used the D3D11 device, then it would go into FSE mode once, then all subsequent playback would not until I stopped and restarted the player (jRiver MC17).

Nevermind that there are other issues with the Win8CP regarding dual-mon and refresh rate and WDM1.2 in general. One thing I do notice is that everything "GPU" related seems faster at this early stage. While AMD and nVidia both have "Win8" drivers, IMO we're still too far out for reliable daily HTPC use.
Well I do care because for me, this is the only thing not working in Win 8 - everything else seems to work fine. If there is a solution to it I want to know.

And unfortunately for me, exclusive mode is the ONLY way I get no dropped frames. So it is essential.
deado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 14:31   #12819  |  Link
noee

Well, depending on your GPU and if you're multi-mon, you can forget about it until the later driver releases, contrary to popular opinion, Win8CP is really just barely a gloried beta. You might disable "aero" and start experimenting with Windowed-mode in the meantime.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 18:53   #12820  |  Link
Mikey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
This is partially a question, but I figured that on a regular DVD it can be determined by comparing the .IFO file with the actual .VOB file. (Try running "MediaInfo" on both files. The former will almost always show 29.970 interlaced as that is the DVD format, while the later [which is the actual file] will show the actual rate of the file itself.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, sinnce unfortunately I do not have any interlaced Blu-Rays and cannot test this, but I think the equivalent is the .m2ts file displaying the fps for the movie file while the .mpls file (under the ..\PLAYLIST\ folder) indicates the fps and other data at the disc level. Thus I am not sure if one can correctly send a standalone m2ts file like the one on mediafire as a correct test-case. (Perhaps that is even the reason you are not seeing it in this instance???)

Again, especially my second paragraph is a question and guess, but I believe I am correct on the first paragraph in regard to regular DVD's. (That said, I am told that IFO files are sometimes buggy and unreliable...)

I hope this helps and does not make things more confusing

MikeY

Edit: If one wants to get technical, I found THIS LINK to describe (in excruciating detail) how telecine is determined. While this is focused on NTSC DVD's, I believe the concepts are the same.

Last edited by Mikey2; 19th March 2012 at 19:16.
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling