Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 21st April 2009, 12:24   #2261  |  Link
nicchap

OK Ladds, I will also test on DVD media (no BR burner right now). If not I will re-encode a HDV sample adn test again. I'm stuck at work (something has to pay for my toys) and will do it first thing when I get home. Thanks for looking into it as well Kenguru2k5.

Just to resume the tests I will do:

1) take a raw HDV clip and re-encode (< 25 MBit) -> multiAVCHD
2) take a Premiere exported clip and do the same
3) Burn to DVD5 or DVD9 and test
nicchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 12:30   #2262  |  Link
nicchap

Dean, to answer your question on which media I use:

Sony HDV clips edited under Premiere CS4, with a Matrox RT.X2 card. Project is then Exported to HDV AVI from Premiere, then encoded using Procoder 3 to m2v and ac3 format. I originally used the m2ts files created by Encore CS4 but those files seem to be invalid or corrupted. I will have to try with a new project when time permits.
Old 21st April 2009, 12:35   #2263  |  Link
kenguru2005
FinalCut´ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicchap View Post

1) take a raw HDV clip and re-encode (< 25 MBit) -> multiAVCHD
2) take a Premiere exported clip and do the same
3) Burn to DVD5 or DVD9 and test
HDV up to 26 MBit doesn´t have to be tested as it is prooved several times: AVCHD-DVDs with this footage are always played smooth and perfect on PS3.

The question is: where exactly do the limits of PS3 concering AVCHD-DVDs beginn? 28 MBit? 30 MBit? ... 35 MBit? When does stuttering start?

Last edited by kenguru2005; 21st April 2009 at 12:44.
kenguru2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 12:54   #2264  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

I posted few weeks ago in uncropMKV this screenshot of my PS3, playing from DVD-RW:

I think I noticed a momentary bitrate of 50mbps... it is a 1920x1080@24fps video. It plays smooth.
Old 21st April 2009, 12:59   #2265  |  Link
kenguru2005
FinalCut´ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
I posted few weeks ago in uncropMKV this screenshot of my PS3, playing from DVD-RW:

I think I noticed a momentary bitrate of 50mbps... it is a 1920x1080@24fps video. It plays smooth.
Yes ... but AVC, right? Not that I am unimpressed by this bitrate, but:
MPEG could be a problem for PS3.
Old 21st April 2009, 13:01   #2266  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

You're, right... I forgot about it... I'll test with my only mpeg2 source of training day blu-ray... hm... it is VC-1 thou...
Old 21st April 2009, 13:05   #2267  |  Link
nicchap

So many tests, so little time! I wonder if framerate is a factor at all? 24 vs 29.97...
Old 21st April 2009, 13:07   #2268  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

I don't think that 29.97 should be a problem... 24 causes much more trouble

Btw I used to live in Ottawa, too.... but Kansas not Canada.

Also if you can upload to some sharing server a sample of your problem files... I'd take a look.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:29   #2269  |  Link
rfic

how to combine several AVCHD source in certain order

hi, dean

too many posts here, hard to find answer

i have several AVCHDs already, try to use multiAVCHD to combine them;

i name them as AVCHD1, AVCHD2, etc.

but when i add them to multiAVCHD, the order is like random, not from AVCHD1 to AVCHD2 to AVCHD3, etc

is there anyway i can fix this order?

thanks
rfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 16:51   #2270  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

If you add them one by one (one after another) they'll be sorted by the input order.
Old 21st April 2009, 18:37   #2271  |  Link
kenguru2005
FinalCut´ter

Ok ... made a test with 35 MBit 1920x1080 mpeg2 footage in a BDMV structure on PS3: stuttering!! In my experience 27 - 28 MBit is the max. bitrate for mpeg2 footage on an AVCHD-DVD for smooth playback on PS3.
Old 21st April 2009, 18:43   #2272  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

BD says for VIDEO ONLY (MPEG-2):

Quote:
bit_rate_value: The bit_rate_value field in the sequence_header shall indicate a value that is less
than or equal to 40000000 bits/second.

vbv_buffer_size_value: The vbv_buffer_size_value field in the sequence_header shall indicate a
value that is less than or equal to 9781248 bits (The maximum vbv buffer size for the Main profile and
the High level defined in ISO/IEC 13818-2).
And for 29.97fps and 25 (interlaced)
Quote:
The 1080 lines to be encoded or where decoded video should be placed vertically in the
1920x1080 video format are shown as follows.[43]
- Field 1: line 21 to line 560
- Field 2: line 584 to line 1123
but
Quote:
The 1080 lines to be encoded or where decoded video should be placed vertically in the
1920x1080 video format are shown as follows.[43]
- Frame: line 42 to line 1121
for 24 and 23.976 progressive.

Last edited by deank; 21st April 2009 at 18:48.
deank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 18:55   #2273  |  Link
kenguru2005
FinalCut´ter

I am sure, that bitrates can be much higher than 35 MBit/s when using BR. I don´t have a BR burner so I can not test. Btw I am good with those 25 MBit (that´s the way it comes out of my sony HC3).
Old 21st April 2009, 21:25   #2274  |  Link
navycrow

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by navycrow View Post
today i ve tested a new movie (day earth stool still) with multi video tracks. 100% perfect

And cherry on the cake, the audio and forced subtitles works according setting preferences (which was not the case before). Have u change something to support that ??
Yes - I mentioned it.
I saw this post, but when i spoke about setting preferences i wanted to tell about the setting preferences of the PS3 not the setting preferences of multiAVCHD. In my case [x] Force subtitle track#1 remain unchecked like before.

In my case my PS3 is set by default to play FRENCH language and FRENCH subtitles. And now it also works with multiAVCHD (only this movie made with build 538 not the others made with previous version ). FRENCH Forced subtitle is played automatically without select it.
navycrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 23:26   #2275  |  Link
nicchap

Alrighty then, back home. Thanks for testing out the bitrate Kenguru (I have the HC1 myself), and for the Specs Dean. I will re-encode everything once more and report back. It's been a long day, and I hope to have a bit of time for this later on tonight.

Dean, if you are still interested in the sample, it's MPEG2 sample . It's about 50 MB and it's the source I used (or part of it) as input to multiAVCHD. Give it another 20 minutes to finish it's download. Don't waste any time on it though.
Old 21st April 2009, 23:39   #2276  |  Link
rfic

Quote:
If you add them one by one (one after another) they'll be sorted by the input order.
Do u mean if I only have avchd1, avchd2, then avchd1 will be always before avchd2; but if I have 3 of them, the order is random?

Since every time I add one more movies, I need to recompilexisting old file,I try to add several movies at one time to save time & hard drive
rfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 23:43   #2277  |  Link
phate89

hello..i have a question...i have a 1080p video in a mkv file and i want to play it with my ps3 and my lcd tv with resolution of 1366x768..i try to convert it with multiavchd.. first i try to convert it for usb..it gives a problem for the 4.1 format and when i try to reproduce it i can hear the audio but not see the video...so i try to create a dvd..with the same result..same error and i stil can't see the video..what i can do? sorry for my english.. i'm italian
phate89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 04:24   #2278  |  Link
desray
Home Theater Freak

Hi deank, any way I can create my own welcome screen? Is there a particular filename (extension jpg? png?) that I need to put and in a particular folder for it to show up (any dimension or resolution limitations if any that I need to be aware of?) - I noticed a multiBG.jpg (1920 x 1080) - is that the file that I can replace in order to get a customized welcome screen? Please advise, thanks!
desray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:15   #2279  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Quote:
Dean, if you are still interested in the sample... It's about 50 MB and it's the source I used...
I just downloaded it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfic View Post
Do u mean if I only have avchd1, avchd2, then avchd1 will be always before avchd2; but if I have 3 of them, the order is random?
I'm not sure if I understand your question.

If you have 5 AVCHD folders to add in one compilation - drag them one by one and you'll have an option to rearrange the titles within each folder ([x] Edit AVCHD/BD folders on load option)

Then you'll have one new multiAVCHD compilation. If you decide the next day to add new files/folders - add your multiAVCHD compilation (which was created by those 5 folders) and then add your new folders/files.

You can't reorder titles which were part of imported AVCHD folder in multiAVCHD - only when loading a folder and only within the playlist of that folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate89 View Post
hello..i have a question...i have a 1080p video in a mkv file and ... i can hear the audio but not see the video...
Some files are encoded with settings which are incompatible with Playstation3. You need to reencode your video - otherwise you won't be able to watch it. You can try with uncropMKV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desray View Post
Hi deank, any way I can create my own welcome screen?
multiAVCHD creates the welcome screen, using the background image from Menu tab (if file exists) or its own multiBG.jpg.

Another option is to create your own m2ts/mpls/clpi welcome screen and name the files 01400.****. You can use tsmuxer to create such file with audio and video and replace multiAVCHD's 01400.xxxx.

Dean
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:41   #2280  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Quote:
MPEG2 sample... about 50 MB and it's the source I used (or part of it) as input to multiAVCHD.
I experience the same as you: smooth playback via XMB and video stuttering in BD-player of PS3.

Few things come in mind:

1) We all know that MPEG-2 is not part of AVCHD (and PS3 goes into AVCHD mode to play your structure)

2) For 1440x1080 (AVC) you need to use 24p or 60i (or 50i)

3) 1440x1080 is not allowed in Blu-ray with MPEG-2 codec. It can only be VC-1 or H.264

4) It is good to try moving your projects to 1920x1080@60i (59.94fps)

5) It is not the bitrate that causes the stuttering.

Dean

Tags
avchd, blu-ray hd-dvd, mkv, multiavchd, re-author