Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 19th August 2004, 03:10   #41  |  Link
MasterYoshidino
Yoshi

been keeping an eye on this plugin ever since it was just a script and definately giving kudos. it did a better job than even IT() on some problem clips I have lying around. gj.
MasterYoshidino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2004, 18:02   #42  |  Link
Lothar

I tested this new filter on anime ntsc material (cowboy bebop) and the result is really good, thanks

I've had only some problems on scenes where the camera slides: in those scenes telecide works better when in the rest of the anime BlendBob gives a far better result.
In those scenes the result gived by BlendBob is not fluent at all and the and adiacent frames have great difference in luma.

Am I using the wrong settings?
Is there a way to automatically select in which scenes avisynth has to use a filter instead of another one?

The code:

Code:
f1= kerneldeint(a1,order=0, sharp=true, threshold=10)
e1=separatefields(a1).trim(1,0).weave().kerneldeint( order=1, sharp=true, threshold=10)
g1=interleave(f1,e1).BlendBob(derainbow=1, rainbowThresh=25).decimate()
Thx for any help.
Old 20th August 2004, 19:18   #43  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally posted by Lothar
I've had only some problems on scenes where the camera slides: in those scenes telecide works better when in the rest of the anime BlendBob gives a far better result.
In those scenes the result gived by BlendBob is not fluent at all and the and adiacent frames have great difference in luma.

Am I using the wrong settings?
Could you tell me the location of such a scene? I've got all 6 Cowboy Bebop R1-DVDs, so I can check it out when I get home on sunday - but still, with Witch Hunter Robin and Armitage III my filter worked flawlessly on pans.

Quote:
Is there a way to automatically select in which scenes avisynth has to use a filter instead of another one?
Well, you could use ConditionalFilter for that, but I wouldn't know what to use as the criterion.

Quote:
Code:
f1= kerneldeint(a1,order=0, sharp=true, threshold=10)
e1=separatefields(a1).trim(1,0).weave().kerneldeint( order=1, sharp=true, threshold=10)
g1=interleave(f1,e1).BlendBob(derainbow=1, rainbowThresh=25).decimate()
Doesn't look too different from what I use (even though a function for KernelBob is easier to use)...

np: Markus Guentner - Such A Shame (Audio Island)
Leak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2004, 21:16   #44  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

@ leak:

compleeeetely off topic, but how do you get the "now playing" thing on your sig going? (some pretty cool stuff too)
Old 20th August 2004, 21:49   #45  |  Link
Lothar

Quote:
Originally posted by Leak
Could you tell me the location of such a scene? I've got all 6 Cowboy Bebop R1-DVDs, so I can check it out when I get home on sunday - but still, with Witch Hunter Robin and Armitage III my filter worked flawlessly on pans.
The first scene in the first ep after the opening.

Quote:
Well, you could use ConditionalFilter for that, but I wouldn't know what to use as the criterion.
Thx for the hint & for the help

Last edited by Lothar; 21st August 2004 at 10:32.
Lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2004, 00:30   #46  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally posted by Mug Funky
@ leak:

compleeeetely off topic, but how do you get the "now playing" thing on your sig going? (some pretty cool stuff too)
I guess you'll be completely disappointed, but I do that by typing it by hand...

np: Ricardo Villalobos - I Try To Live (Can I Live) (Alcachofa)

(also, it's not technically a sig if I type it in my posts, right? )
Old 23rd August 2004, 07:48   #47  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

3 words for you:

too much time

well, that counts for me as well i guess.

ok, ok. back on topic now
Old 23rd August 2004, 13:10   #48  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

bit of praise :)

just a mildly useless post to tell you leak, that I fobbed the filter on one of my friends, who had a nightmare of a dvd(looked some dodgy vhs reencode) to encode, with shimmering, bobbing, rainbows and so on(on top of it, it's a hybrid)..........he was very impressed it did a great job (I saw a few samples). The only thing is that there were so many rainbows that the output looks sort of washed out now, but that's another issue anyway . So, one more converted to blendbob!
niamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 14:15   #49  |  Link
Piper

Choice of Bob

I'm curious if any of you have experimented with different Bobs when using BlendBob? I have to admit,when I first saw this thread - I skipped some essential reading and jumped to the end of the thread for the final script and was left scratching my head wondering which Bob to use.

During my experimenting however I discovered that DGBOB(1) works very well (analogue captures) indeed. In fact I prefer it to KernelBob <--tried various parameters/versions. Has anyone else done any other comparisons? I'm just curious why KernelBob was picked initially.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 14:29   #50  |  Link
Leak

Re: Choice of Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by Piper
During my experimenting however I discovered that DGBOB(1) works very well (analogue captures) indeed. In fact I prefer it to KernelBob <--tried various parameters/versions. Has anyone else done any other comparisons? I'm just curious why KernelBob was picked initially.
Well, I mainly picked it because it was what worked best on my sources...

DGBob produces too much shimmering on anime sources for my tastes, but of course YMMquiteV on different sources.

Anyhow, I'm back to getting my optimized KernelDeint done and out the door and after that I'll change (or rather add to) BlendBob a function to use KernelDeint internally for comparison only and weave the closest fields instead of blending deinterlaced versions of them; in that case it won't make much of a difference which smart deinterlacer you use...

np: Underworld - Cups (Beaucoup Fish)
Old 24th August 2004, 23:36   #51  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

I'll wait for the new version before jumping on the bandwagon, but after reading this thread I still have a doubt. From what I can understand, this filter has to be followed by decimation in order to achieve complete IVTCing. Is that correct?
Chainmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 00:21   #52  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally posted by Chainmax
I'll wait for the new version before jumping on the bandwagon, but after reading this thread I still have a doubt. From what I can understand, this filter has to be followed by decimation in order to achieve complete IVTCing. Is that correct?
Sure - my filter takes a video that's been bobbed to 59.94 FPS and blends it down to 29.97 FPS again, but this time combining every second frame with the neighbour that matches it most.

This means that in a properly telecined stream you'll get one of the shifted fields matched with it's predecessor (which will match it better, unless there's absolutely no motion going on), so you'll also get a duplicated frame every 5 frames in the output (just as with Telecide), which Decimate will happily eliminate.

What you shouldn't get is residual combing (unless your bobber did it's work poorly), as a blend of 2 frames made by deinterlacing fields can't introduce extra combs.

np: Burnt Friedman & Jaki Liebezeit - Obscured By 5 (Secret Rhythms)
Old 26th August 2004, 17:19   #53  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Quote:
Sure - my filter takes a video that's been bobbed to 59.94 FPS and blends it down to 29.97 FPS again
I'm sorry if this this is an ignorant question, but wouldn't that introduce ghosting in the final output?

Anyway, how feasible would it be for you to incorporate a decimating function and make this a full IVTC/derainbowing package with each function accesible separately? I know I'd love to have to use YATTA only for VFR encodes and not pattern matching correction.
Old 26th August 2004, 18:30   #54  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally posted by Chainmax
I'm sorry if this this is an ignorant question, but wouldn't that introduce ghosting in the final output?
That totally depends on the input - my plugin always blends the 2 input frames that are most similar; if you feed it telecined or real 30 frames per second material, it should blend each frame with the frame that resulted from deinterlacing/bobbing it's other field, you shouldn't get ghosting. For telecined material, you'll get a duplicated frame every 5 frames, but no ghosting because of that.

If you feed it 60 fields per second material, like a sport broadcast or similar, you will get ghosting, as there really are no matching frames, but it'll choose one of the two possible anyway.

And by the way: is there some reason you always ask about each and every thing when just doing a small test would yield the same answers, and quicker at that?

Quote:
Anyway, how feasible would it be for you to incorporate a decimating function and make this a full IVTC/derainbowing package with each function accesible separately? I know I'd love to have to use YATTA only for VFR encodes and not pattern matching correction.
The problem with making the functions accessible separately is that you can't pass anything else than video or audio data around in AviSynth, while I'd need to pass other hints between those separate functions you propose. I'll probably also make a decimation function someday, but it'll probably end up inside one big function that does everything internally...

np: Radiohead - I Am A Wicked Child (Com Lag (2+2=5))
Old 26th August 2004, 19:50   #55  |  Link
Piper

I've been toying with DGBob and KernelBob in combination with BlendBob for the past few days against pure interlaced sources (NTSC). I can't seem to get around one issue - motion always appears more fluid when using DGBob than with KernelBob. I'd rather have KernelBob be my default/preferred option - esp with Leak's recent MMX optimizations (THANKS btw).

Can anyone help improve this? This is my script as it appears now:

# HUFFYUV YUY2 Source
AVISource("d:\capture\capture.avi")

# Crop when downsizing to 352x480 from 720x480
Crop(8,0,-8,0)

# Bob
#DGBob(1)
KernelBob(order=1,threshold=8,sharp=false)
ConvertToYV12()
BlendBob()

#Denoise - added at the end for speed reasons alone.
CNR2()
UnDot()
RemoveDirt()
LanczosResize(352,480)
Blockbuster(method="noise",variance=0.3,seed=1)
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2004, 00:45   #56  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Quote:
is there some reason you always ask about each and every thing when just doing a small test would yield the same answers, and quicker at that?
Sadly, there is. My computer is a crappy 850Mhz T-Bird with 128Mbytes of PC100 ram (originally 256Mbytes of PC133 ram, long story) that acts even slower than it should due to a host of problems that will basically only be solved by an upgrade which won't be feasible for several months due to financial reasons. On top of that, it's the only computer in my house and it's used by at least two other persons, leaving me with little to no time for me to use it. Finally, I only have a few DVDs and no capture card, therefore I don't have the necessary range of sources for a proper test of any kind. Really, even though I am quite the procrastinating type, most of the questions I ask are due to the fact that I just can't solve them myself. I apologize if I annoyed you .
Old 27th August 2004, 18:45   #57  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
(about my np: lines)

I guess you'll be completely disappointed, but I do that by typing it by hand...
I've just converted to the dark side, I mean foobar2000, so from now on my now-playing lines will be done by hitting CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-C followed by CTRL-V...

np: Yoko Kanno - Monochrome (Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex OST 1)
Old 3rd September 2004, 22:09   #58  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

I couldn't wait until the new version is released, so I tried the current one on my Spawn DVD. This filter is awesome, unlike Decomb or SmartDecimate there is no remaining combing and there's also no "color ghosting" as there is when blurring the chroma channel after Decomb or SmartDecimate. There are some jagged edges here and there and some minor ghosting, but overall the result is much more pleasing through the eye (at least when stepping through it in VDubMod). Here are the settings I used:

KernelBob(1,5,false)
BlendBob()
Decimate(cycle=5,mode=2,quality=3)

Last edited by Chainmax; 3rd September 2004 at 22:11.
Old 12th September 2004, 12:34   #59  |  Link
jarthel
plebian

completely ignorant question: What's the equivalent of the following scripts to blendbob?
--------------
Telecide(order=1,guide=1)
Decimate(mode=3,threshold=3)
----------------
Telecide(order=1,guide=1)
Decimate(mode=1,threshold=3)
-----------------
FieldDeinterlace()
jarthel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2005, 23:26   #60  |  Link
Zarxrax

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I only just recently discovered this wonderful filter! I was just wondering if LeakKernelDeint is still the preferred bobber to use with this? I tested the kernel mode in TDeint with blendbob, and the result was a little more compressible than with LeakKernelDeint, though it was a lot slower. Visually, I couldn't really tell much difference between the 2. There are a couple other modes in TDeint that I couldn't really tell much difference between either.
Should I just stick with LeakKernelDeint for its nice speed, or does another method offer some advantages that I might not be seeing? Source is anime, by the way.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote