Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 13th January 2003, 22:49   #61  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

I did Lord of the Ring, Extended Edition on 2 CD. Quality is better than XviD. The only problem is the post-processing... a little too much.
Old 14th January 2003, 05:16   #62  |  Link
midiguy

yeah, I wish we had control of the PP. it would be soooo sweet having an RV9 direct show codec, where you can fine tune the post-processing, use any contain you want (AVI, OGG, etc.), and any audio format you want. and last, but DEFINATELY not least, you can avoid using the dreaded real one player.
midiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2003, 16:06   #63  |  Link
pkstomak

Hi,

I also encoded a clip from Lord Of the Rings with RV9,DivX5.02 and Xvid.I choosed a very bright and colored scene from the beginning. And...I'm impressed!...and disappointed too! On the "plus" side :The quality/size ratio is incredible and the picture is much more detailled than DivX/Xvid BUT I don't know if it's the post processing or the way the picture is encoded but there are portions of the screen that are(randomly?)blurred.And this is disturbing: you have on the same picture very detailled areas and very blurry areas.

From now on, I don't know wich one to use... DivX5.02 or RV9? Sure, RV9 looks better on a monitor, but on a TV (Sony Wega Trinitron), the difference is minimal. Is Realplayer with a manual post processing setting the answer? (AC3 support would be nice too!).
I also did some anamorphic encoding in Pal (988/420) and while the quality was a tad better, the processing power increased too (more than 40% on a XP1800).Again, on a TV, a bit useless...
pkstomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2003, 16:36   #64  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Thanks for your reports! I am glad you like the quality, and we do take your comments about post-processing seriously. In some cases ringing artifacts look like actual details from the original (like texture in forest, film grain, or even rain or snow). It is not as easy as the suggested pp adjustment in the player, but tuning for high bitrates and HDTV is definitely possible, and with Helix we can give you access to improvements much quicker than before.
Old 14th January 2003, 16:47   #65  |  Link
pkstomak

Wow!! A quality codec, with competent and kind peoples listening to what the users say... I'm gonna wake up, yeah...

PS: RV9 should have its own forum.
pkstomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2003, 01:31   #66  |  Link
ReTroAcTive
Roller Poster

Real stuff..

Quote:
Originally posted by midiguy
and last, but DEFINATELY not least, you can avoid using the dreaded real one player.
ive played rv9 in real player basic 8 after it downloads the codecs for it but it says it cant play rv9. but if you drag and drop the rv9 file onto the real player basic 8 after it installs the codecs it will play it, however the quality is not as good as you get with real one.
im still not sure if being able to watch rv9 files is worth the monster install, and the other things that real one does, like taking over playing dvds even after i told it not to do so on the install and that messenger thing that you cant keep from downloading new message, the best you can do is tell it to only check once or twice a month, and it pops up when your playing a game in full screen and when you go to close the messenger it minimizes your game and you lose the sound thus making you shut down the game to restart it so you can have sound.
i used real player from the beginning till the real one player. i would install the older basics to watch anything i wanted to see on the web and if the basic player wouldnt work i wouldnt watch it. with rv9 you have a chance to win me over once again but, it will all depend on the next version of your real one player.

Last edited by ReTroAcTive; 15th January 2003 at 01:34.
ReTroAcTive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2003, 01:40   #67  |  Link
karl_lillevold

I am sorry you had these problems with RealOne. It sounds like you tried v.1, which clearly had some issues.

RealOne v.2 as it is available now can be configured to not display these messages at all, unless you have the player open, which you probably will not have while playing a game.

Follow the instructions in the first post in this thread : go to tools->preferences->Automatic Services, disable everything. Same with the one check box in Autoupdate, just to be sure. When you have done this, the message box will open only when you have RealOne open, and then once per month (if you have set it to once per month).

With regards to taking over DVD playback, this may have happened for RealOne v.1, but this bug has been fixed in v.2. Again, following my instructions, the dialog box during install for Maintain Media Preferences should already be unchecked by default, but just make sure it is. And, you need to uncheck the box for DVD in the list of Media types.

That's all.

So I think your main complaints have been addressed, one through a bug fix, and the other through disabling the automatic services features.
In v.3, all of these will automatically be set to what most users would like, and not what RealNetworks would like
Old 15th January 2003, 02:15   #68  |  Link
karl_lillevold

just to make sure you have disabled everything:

If you open Task Manager, normally, there is a 156K process running called realsched.exe (RealNetworks Scheduler). Unless you disable the options I mentioned in my previous post, this will run all the time.

With the options unchecked, this process should automatically be killed once RealOne exits.
Old 15th January 2003, 02:19   #69  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

@karl

That's great news

If a VFW comes out, will we be able to ajust PP?
Old 15th January 2003, 02:31   #70  |  Link
ReTroAcTive
Roller Poster

v2

RealOnePlayerV2GOLD.exe is the file i downloaded and installed but i missed the part of your message about the automatic services.
thanks man, looks like your on top of things. i still however am fighting with real player about the dvd playback thing, im hopen after i reboot it will be taken care of.
thanks Karl
i think rv is close to getting their own forum around here, or atleast i hope.

l8r, after the reboot.....
everytime i reboot it takes dvd playback over again. its not selected in media types and i go to file types under folder option and change it, but everytime i do and reboot it takes dvds back over. so when is v3 going to be out?

Last edited by ReTroAcTive; 15th January 2003 at 02:53.
ReTroAcTive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2003, 04:38   #71  |  Link
Benholio

Try this for messages.

To get rid of the damn messages do a custom install and deselect as much of the intergration BS as you can. Next find the file RNDAL.EXE and rename it and or remove any mention of it from your registry. I have done this and my player functions just like winamp. I get no annoying messages or popups and the only time Real one hits the net is on startup to access real.com.

Ben

btw, I believe that RNDAL = Real Network Dynamic Application Launcher

Last edited by Benholio; 15th January 2003 at 04:41.
Benholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2003, 16:14   #72  |  Link
WorldBook

Alternatively, if you have a firewall such as Zonealarm you can disable Realplayer from accesing the internet.
Old 16th January 2003, 16:29   #73  |  Link
ohliuv

video capture

Yesterday I did a long test capture from PAL TV at 384x288 using vfw drivers and frankly speaking I'm happy with the result.

Anyone did some extensive testing with the Helix video capture?
ohliuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2003, 21:47   #74  |  Link
ReTroAcTive
Roller Poster

RV9

i used divx to compress lost in space, then used rv9.
the divx did a good job, but sense it should have been a 2cd rip i had to drop the resolution down to 416 x 176 to get it up to 58%. very hard to compress this movie cause of the film stock they used that shows everything even if its in shadow. i was as happy with it as i could be with a 1 cd rip that should have been a 2.
however the rv9 rip i did was much better. i raised the resolution up to 576x208 because rv9 is suppose to be better at lower bit rates and i wanted to see just how it would do. it really surprised me, i was very happy with it, though it did go over 700mbs a little after it was all said and done. the picture was cleaner, and because of the high resolution, more detailed also.
so in short, i think the divx5.02 codec is the way to go right now for your movies that you want to encoded at a high bit rate or are very compressible. however, movies that are very hard to compress, or if you have a movie that need 2 cds and you would like to have it on 1, rv9 is the way to go.
Old 17th January 2003, 16:23   #75  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

RV9 is good for high-bitrate too, with sharp and clean picture. It can also be played on low-end hardware (like a P2 with a crappy videocard).
Old 19th January 2003, 16:40   #76  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Helix Producer

Hi

I don't know why but now when I open a AVI in Helix Producer, it says "Audio only" and in source propertises, "Uncompressed audio". What's the problem?
Old 19th January 2003, 23:55   #77  |  Link
karl_lillevold

usually if producer can not read the video in an AVI file, it is because the appropriate DirectShow or VfW codec is missing. Can you play the AVI file in a media player? What is the 4cc code of the format inside the AVI file?
Old 20th January 2003, 13:23   #78  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

I had XviD and ffdshow installed. I flushed ffdshow and the problem is gone.
Old 23rd January 2003, 22:06   #79  |  Link
kilg0r3
! - User - !

Does anyone of nice doom9-like guide for dvd backup on the basis of rv9?
kilg0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2003, 04:12   #80  |  Link
31 Flavas
RV10 Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by kilg0r3
Does anyone of nice doom9-like guide for dvd backup on the basis of rv9?
I'm confused by this, do you mean has anyone made a nice guide on how to backup using rv9?
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote