Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 19th May 2020, 09:14   #381  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
For digital displays it is a good idea to re-calibrate your TV once a year.
....but here I've read some people mentioning calibration every 300 hours
Is it truly beneficial to the eye or we are talking about numbers only?I mean for movies.
Once a year sounds good because I am lazy but am I missing something?
If you only ever calibrate once and never again, your TV will still be better-calibrated forever than 90% of everyone's. It's like when to wash your car; some people are obsessive about weekly washes, some people never bother. Aside from an initial burn-in period and the end-of-life rapid failure, the color won't change much if at all through the lifespan, but if it is new, it's worth calibrating every few weeks until you get roughly the same results twice in a row. If it's on the way out, of course, you can't calibrate your way out of that for long.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2020, 15:25   #382  |  Link
Damien147

Your first sentence sounds good to me.
I calibrated first time a year ago and I don't see anything wrong but you can't measure with eyes.The verification(never done it) that huhn mentioned before calibrating now can show how off are things and start from there I guess.
I have in mind to calibrate every October for example and I am not a perfectionist but I also don't want my calibration to become pointless now that I have a meter,something like that.
DeltaE >3 will be perceptible to the viewer I've read.I'll keep this as an indication I guess.
I have to move my TV first to calibrate every time and I don't see how others in same occasion have the appetite to do it every 300 hours
They have better TV I guess.I don't think it's worth it for the cheap 50 inch samsung I have.
Thanks guys.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2020, 17:16   #383  |  Link
huhn

it depends on the screen not every screen drifts a lot some drift like they have nothing better to do.

PJ are known to drift more in the first 100-1000 H there are always exception and so on.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2020, 19:37   #384  |  Link
Damien147

I meant regular movie watching on a TV.As you say results vary and it makes it hard to answer.
I'll try the less than DeltaE >3 thing when it's time to see how it goes.Thanks again.
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:28   #385  |  Link
RXP

Hey guys, hoping someone can help here. I've searched everywhere for an answer but can't find my exact use case.

When you create a 3D LUT for MadVR using Display CAL you target a certain gamma. In MadVR's Gamma Processing tab could you then use that to change the Gamma of your LUT? e.g. say if I had a Gamma 2.4 LUT created, tracks perfectly 2.4 from verification. I now want a daytime viewing Gamma - could I just select 2.2 in Gamma processing? Will MadVR understand that the LUT is at Gamma 2.4? Or is it expecting a specific default Gamma for the LUT if you want to use Gamma Processing?
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2020, 21:42   #386  |  Link
huhn

madVR doesn't know the gamma of the 3D LUT. just create a new one takes like a minute.

if you create a 2.2 3D LUT it may work.
Old 4th June 2020, 06:15   #387  |  Link
RXP

Hoping to get confirmation on that - because in that case the best thing to do with DisplayCAL is just to create a Gamma 2.2 LUT and let MadVR do any changes you need.

The reason I was asking was for 3D movies on my JVC x9000. Calibrating after the glasses is a bit of a faf compared to a regular flat panel. Some movies benefit from a lower Gamma due to a peak white of only 15 nits after the glasses. Doing it that way would save me time - but I guess I'll bust out the meter again or rely on JVC's own Gamma adjustments.
Old 4th June 2020, 06:22   #388  |  Link
RXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
For digital displays it is a good idea to re-calibrate your TV once a year.
....but here I've read some people mentioning calibration every 300 hours
Is it truly beneficial to the eye or we are talking about numbers only?I mean for movies.
Once a year sounds good because I am lazy but am I missing something?
If you're using a TV it's really not necessarily IMO.

Disclaimer: I use calibration to fix issues I can see. Otherwise it's a numbers obsession IMHO.

- My C6 had terrible low IRE greyscale that looked purple/blue and high gamma at low IRE which exacerbated compression noise. A MadVR 3D LUT took that out like magic. I'm not really interested in objective colour accuracy - it's a nice side benefit but if that drifts I'm fine with it.

- My JVC x9000 that I bought used had a calibration applied to it. I could visibly see the green looked luminous on Cover Art in Kodi/Plex. I used JVC'a Autocal and it corrected it nicely. With a PJ I do it after 800 hours or so. They dirft way more and historically have had Gamma droop issues.

- My C9 - ran a 3D LUT with MadVR and could see no visible difference between factory and the LUT after a minor whitepoint adjustment. In fact factory Gamma hid the compression noise way better, so I'm never calibrating that.
Old 4th June 2020, 06:44   #389  |  Link
huhn

if you have proper measurements and you are using a 3d LUT already why would you need the meter to change the gamma?
Old 5th June 2020, 07:35   #390  |  Link
RXP

I went ahead and created a 2.6 and 2.4 Gamma 3D LUT for my C6 OLED. Very happy with the results. I like to target higher gamma on the C6 to reduce compression noise, while having no shadow crush. After realising you don't need to measure Gamma on the calibration tab it's massively reduced the time it takes to run a 3D LUT so I don't mind doing it again.
Old 5th June 2020, 18:24   #391  |  Link
huhn

you just need to create a new 3dLUT with a different target the source which is the time consuming part doesn't change.
Old 21st July 2020, 20:55   #392  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

How often is good to calibrate a monitor for madvr 3dlut? I'm making a 3dlut every 3-4 months, I'm asking cause it takes around an hour and a half for the 3dlut...1553 patches -_-
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2020, 21:43   #393  |  Link
VBB

The usual recommendation is to re-calibrate about once a year, depending on your display type. Projectors tend to drift more than monitors/TVs. Every 3-4 months for a monitor is overkill, but then again why not, if you have your own equipment
Old 21st July 2020, 21:48   #394  |  Link
Asmodian

I agree with once a year as good practice.

I might calibrate a new OLED or projector after the first 4-6 months of use and then once a year. At most every six months, every three months is way too often.
Old 21st July 2020, 22:31   #395  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm kinda fed up with calibrating every 4 months, I have I1 display pro, and even it is faster than the colormunki, it takes too much time for the 3dlut
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2020, 00:11   #396  |  Link
VBB

I mean, a 3D LUT is not all that involved compared to a manual calibration. It all comes down to OCD. When I first got my meter, I would bust it out almost every night, and this was before I ever messed with DisplayCAL, back in 2013. Then in 2015, when I got my fist 4K LED display, I started doing auto-cals using madTPG. Once I got the hang of it, I left everything alone until my next TV purchase. That was my current C7 OLED, and I don't recall exactly how many 3D LUTs I created, but I do know that the last one I made was in January of 2018. It still looks great, and I haven't noticed anything different. In fact, the TV has seemingly gotten better over the years, as can be the case with OLED. These days I'm simply too lazy to calibrate. My next TV will be ordered pre-calibrated from VE (by jrref, for those who know him). Calibration can be an awesome hobby, but the cost of keeping up with equipment and software can be very high, if you're intent on doing it right.

Last edited by VBB; 22nd July 2020 at 00:13.
VBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 01:29   #397  |  Link
Damien147

When you re-calibrate you calibrate on top of previous settings and fine-tune or you reset picture settings?Does it matter?
Old 15th November 2020, 03:48   #398  |  Link
Asmodian

I reset. Most professional workflows I have seen reset but I am not sure what actually goes bad if you don't reset.
Old 15th November 2020, 17:45   #399  |  Link
Damien147

Ok,I will have it in mind next time.Thank you.
Old 22nd October 2021, 23:52   #400  |  Link
Damien147

Hello!

Beyond calibrating my SDR TV I have created an HDR to SDR lut with displaycal's video 3DLut for Madvr HDR using default settings and in Madvr I've set 100 peak nits like my SDR calibration.Have I done things right?