Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 12th January 2007, 21:17   #1  |  Link
Seraphic-
Forum Member

HD-DVD goes beyond 50GB with new disc

What does this mean for the next gen format war?

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/hddvdgoe...thnewdisc/4260
Seraphic- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 07:28   #2  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

I guess not much. I doubt many studio discs will need to use over 50gb. For a 48mbit total stream bandwidth (ie, 6mb/sec), you can fit in excess of 2hrs into 50gb already.
What it might do however, is reduce manufacturing costs if this development can be applied to lower costs for smaller discs.
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 10:21   #3  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by check View Post
I guess not much. I doubt many studio discs will need to use over 50gb. For a 48mbit total stream bandwidth (ie, 6mb/sec), you can fit in excess of 2hrs into 50gb already.
I thought one of the main advantages BluRay was touting was its superior capacity. So wouldn't this effectively eliminate that advantage?
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 12:22   #4  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

Yes. Large capacity may have been an attraction to studios in earlier days, but with the ability of h264/VC1 to squeeze movies into far smaller spaces than previously thought, and the cost of higher capacity discs ratcheting up in a not so attractive manner, I personally suspect 30gb discs will remain the size du jour for a while yet. Please note however, two things:
o multilayer capacity is more or less meaningless in the computer market. Single layer burning is all that will be available for a long time, just as with DVD. A caveat on top of this caveat: the computer disc market is rather small compared to the TV playback area
o BD has other unique advantages, the main one being better DRM (whether the adaptive layer is used or not will remain to be seen).
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 16:25   #5  |  Link
reepa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambelli View Post
I thought one of the main advantages BluRay was touting was its superior capacity. So wouldn't this effectively eliminate that advantage?
The article didn't mention whether this new type of disc is compatible with current and past hardware. If not, then what prevents Blu-Ray from announcing an incompatible new disc type in the future? If it is, then it's a great development for HD-DVD.
reepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 03:28   #6  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

The standards do. If it's incompatible, it's not HD-DVD/Bluray.

Even if it was allowed, it would either be ignored by the market, or split the format in two (and condemn it to oblivion in such a heated format war). That's never good for anyone in the format's ecosystem, which is why formats are so rigidly defined.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 03:35   #7  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Single layer burning is all that will be available for a long time, just as with DVD.
You are mistaken about that one.. I can pick up dual layer BD-R discs in local shops, dual layer HD DVD-R discs are coming in the coming months, iirc there are Blu-ray recorders that can handle dual layer and the appropriate HD DVD burners are on the way, too.
Old 14th January 2007, 16:14   #8  |  Link
womfalcs7

Blu-ray is at 200 GB now...
womfalcs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 00:00   #9  |  Link
Ryokurin

Quote:
Originally Posted by womfalcs7 View Post
Blu-ray is at 200 GB now...
It exists as a Technology demostration No one has said that BR disks will be released at that size commercially. This HD-DVD standard is likely to be added to the specs.
Ryokurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 03:19   #10  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

bye bye Blu-Ray...
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 22:01   #11  |  Link
joseph5

Quote:
Originally Posted by check View Post
It could be useful if they release tv series in HD-DVD/Bluray.
joseph5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 13:57   #12  |  Link
shae

Toying with more and more layers is done by both camps, but I don't think either one will use more than 2 layers with the exception of meaningless tech demos.

And since when studios are concerned with quality? How many current DVD9s are actually full? I suspect they will happily use single layer HD/BD discs whenever possible, unless it's extremely noticeable.
shae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 20:11   #13  |  Link
arfster

Pretty much nobody uses single layer HD-DVD, cos 15GB leaves little room for extras, lossless audio, multiple sound tracks etc. You could do it if it was needed certainly (eg 20mbit for 100 minutes with no extras), but the fact nobody is seems to suggest there's minimal cost benefit.
arfster is offline   Reply With Quote