Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 23rd March 2003, 05:07   #1  |  Link
fgm

More problems with multi episode DVDs

Ok. I've read the FAQ and searched the forum. What's more I've done two sided movies according to the FAQ without problems. However I'm having a lot of problems backing up the Friends Season One DVDs (NTSC region 1).

I want to put two episodes on one CD (less than 50 minutes) so I do what I've always done with two sided movies: Rip (with internal routines) episode one (to Folder1: VTS_01_0.IFO and VTS_01_1.vob) then rip episode two (to Folder2: VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_1.vob and VTS_01_2.vob). Rename the VOBs in Folder2 and make them consecutive with those in Folder1 and copy the renamed VOBs to Folder1(VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_1.vob, VTS_01_2.vob and VTS_01_3.vob). Whether I start the process manually or in batch mode I end up with only episode 1 being processed.

Some of my settings are: fixed 120sec chapters, VCDXBuild, permanent subtitles (Spanish), movie offset 1 second, internal routines, force film auto, one language at 192 Kb without downsample (English), BicubicResize to CVD (352x480), Max. 2550, Min 200, MaxAvg 2400, 4 Pass VBR with IQ 24, Anti Noise 4 and Bias 20.

Following some leads I've tried creating the IFO with IfoEdit but it isn't always a successful process and sometimes it again defaults to processing only one episode. Another problem is that the subtitles aren't correctly identified in the new IFO and you loose a lot of time searching for the correct one with the FindNext button.

The only foolproof way I've found is by first merging the previously ripped VOBs into a huge +1.7GB file (for two episodes), then create the IFO with IfoEdit and then restart the process by pointing DVD2SVCD to the recently created IFO and re-rip the whole thing to another folder with internal routines. I can let it do its job with Rip and Convert or Rip Only and do it in batch mode. With this lengthy method I still have the same problems with the subtitles.

Can anybody help? Why is it that the traditional method for two-sided movies isn't working?
fgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2003, 20:27   #2  |  Link
Nick
One click is all it takes

All I can suggest is to convert the episodes one at a time. In the bitrate tab change first the disc size for anything up to 50 mins to 400. Then check "Don't make images" in the CD Image tab.

This will make a 400mb (mas o menos) SVCD-compliant MPEG file for each episode.

Then use Nero SVCD template or VCDEasy to author your image files putting 2x400mb episodes on each 80-min disc.

Nero even has a simple menu function built in!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2003, 02:37   #3  |  Link
fgm

I'll try what you suggest, but do you know if Nero allows you to add chapters to the SVCD creation process?

Also, does anyone know why the usual method of renaming the VOB files consecutively isn't working anymore?
fgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2003, 15:00   #4  |  Link
Nick
One click is all it takes

No chapters with Nero afaik

VCDeasy will do chapters and will do a menu but you have to do it by hand.

Nero menus you just select a background image and it superimposes the filenames of the mpeg files you put on in a text font of your choosing.

With VCDeasy you have to add the text yourself, eg in MS Paint or whatever.

In the "Tools" section of VCDeasy, create an MPEG still of the pic+text.

Put this as the first item on the disc and then in the "Interactivity" tab set it up so pressing "1" on the DVD remote plays the first stream, 2 plays the second and so on.

Also there is a free program called TSCV which authors SVCD image files with menus and chapters. I just find it rather unfriendly and don't use it myself but I'm sure you will find a guide easily enough.

I agree the vob renaming technique should work but if it doesn't this is all I can suggest.

Last edited by Nick; 30th March 2003 at 15:04.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote