Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 17th February 2002, 20:28   #1  |  Link
Screwdriver

Pal -> Ntsc?

First off, I must say that DVD2SVCD is amazing. The time it saves is unreal.

I recently purchased a region 2 DVD, and I live in California. My now region-hacked player (AD-1500) plays the disc fine, but everything is a little squished – I assume because the source was meant for PAL. This is the first PAL source I have worked with.

Last night I did a dvd2svcd run on the disc. As expected, the SVCDS created looked beautiful. Fortunately, the source does not seem to require any deinterlacing. Anyway, I guess as expected, the video stream was encoded in the same aspect ratio. The SVCD's look squished on my NTSC TV just as the DVD does. If I open the MPEG in WMP it looks fine. I did notice that in "properties" it says that the clip is 768 x 576, while all the others I have open in WMP have said that they were 640x480. (but they are supposed to be 480x480? *shrug*)

I am relatively new to the SVCD process, and have had a difficult time understanding "AVS scripts" and the frameserving process.

Is there something simple I can do to change the resolution / aspect ratio of the outputted SVCD so it looks correct on my TV?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I must say that this forum is awesome. This is obviously my first post, but I have read countless threads in the past, and they have been very helpful.

If this topic is covered in the guides or the FAQ's I sincerely apologize – I have tried to read each of them thoroughly.
Screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2002, 12:38   #2  |  Link
gerti67
Reloaded!

Hello Screwdriver,

this is a difficult task and not (yet) possible with dvd2svcd doing it automatically.

You have to do it manually with some programs. Have a look at what markrb posted to saber's question in the following thread:

http://rilanparty.com/vbb/showthread...threadid=16934

Hope this helps a little,
Gerti
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky, University of California, 1997
gerti67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2002, 21:38   #3  |  Link
Screwdriver

Thanks for the reply.

I did some searches and finally came up with the thread markrb mentioned.

It looks like a pain I have never succesfully frameserved to CCE w/tmpegenc or virtualdub - No matter how I setup it up CCE always gets an error and closes. All other programs open the frameserve just fine. Oh well.

I tried simply changing the bicubicresize in the AVS script - the aspect ratio is now correct, but the film is all skippy (but only on my console! )

I guess I could just use TMPEG... that's what I started out using... Then I saw a 4 pass CCE encode. What a difference.

I guess I will just have to live with squished heads for now.
Screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote