Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th March 2012, 19:15   #12881  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Feature request: an option to disable the global hotkeys.

I know you have them enabled because there are situations in which the player is not the active window for some kind of reason. I've also read that you have vague plans to make the hotkeys configurable sometime. I'd ask you to add an option to at least disable them completely. I don't use them -- at all! Don't have to, maybe never will.However, I'm programming in Emacs at the same time, and Ctrl-R and Ctrl-J are both often used keys that I simply cannot use while madVR is running.

Thanks.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 19:21   #12882  |  Link
Budtz

Quote:
In general with NVIDIA GPUs, Windowed > FSE (old path) >>>> FSE (new path).
In general with ATI GPUs, FSE (new path) >> FSE (old path) >>> Windowed.
I this really correct? could Nev or Mad chime in here?
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 19:39   #12883  |  Link
kalston

For me (GTX 275, latest WHQL drivers) it's old FSE >> Windowed (I always have Aero disabled if that matters) >>>>>>>>>>>>>> new FSE (even when messing around with all combinations of settings it's never glitch free for me).

Last edited by kalston; 25th March 2012 at 19:42.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 19:47   #12884  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

I think this has less to do with the videocard brand than it has to do with the OS.
On XP, old FSE = FSE > Windowed, but mostly all provide rock solid smoothness
Although of course FSE is rock solid with the certitude it won't mess-up during the entire length of the movie.
Windowed on the other hand.. i've seen tearing once or twice.

Last edited by Guest; 9th June 2012 at 01:11. Reason: 4
TheShadowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 21:00   #12885  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

For myself on WinXP and Win7 (Aero disabled), my NVIDIA GPUs behaved identically. Using my custom flush settings with Windowed Mode + ReClock was > ALL, offering perfect smoothness, and never tearing. FSE (old) would occasionally stutter on pans. FSE (new) was nearly completely unusable.

At this point I'd more suspect that there are just some odd-ball NVIDIA architectures, namely G8x & G9x which behave quite differently compared to G7x, GT2xx, GF1xx with madVR. That's just speculation though, but it's as good a guess as any. After-all, you have a G8x, and madshi was using a G9x (9600 GT) as his NVIDIA test GPU when he was coding the FSE modes (old and new).

It still continues to amaze me how often people come up with completely different madVR settings they find work the best. Too many unknown variables, not enough data.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 04:48   #12886  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
I this really correct? could Nev or Mad chime in here?
I think in a way it is (at least the nvidia part), it all depends on your flush settings. Dont flush, Dont flush, Dont flush,Flush and wait (sleep) is probably the best settings with the new render path, on my system set like that the new and old paths preform the same for my nvidia cards.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 12:25   #12887  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I realize this may be off topic a bit but does anyone know what are the most accurate timings I can input for 23.976Hz on nvidia cpl? I find it weird that nvidia reports that my tv supports 23Hz, 24Hz, and 60Hz yet the 23Hz is more like 23.96Hz when using the default timings.
"23 Hz" is supposed to be 23.976 Hz.

As for settings for exact timings, it depends on so many factors it's not worth suggesting anything. You just have to play around with it.
Old 26th March 2012, 20:55   #12888  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
In my experience, NVIDIA GPUs are unable to use the default FSE (new path) effectively, ...
... stuttering w/o glitches (frames silently dropped which are not reported by madVR).
I'm interested in this. Is it can be true?
Because if it's true there's no way to confirm that the playback is rock solid or not ...
Old 26th March 2012, 21:10   #12889  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I get perfect playback on my NVIDIA with the new FSE, it just needs some patience to find the proper settings. This is only on Win7, and only with Fermi series cards. The only real problem with the new FSE is now with the new 300 series driver where it just doesn't work at all, but before that it worked just perfectly fine.
Windowed Mode without Aero would show Tearing during the first few minutes of a movie until it properly locked onto the VSync, with Aero it worked mostly fine. Never really compared old FSE because new worked just fine for me.

Of course there is always the possibility of some hidden issues (possibly also repeated frames, which madVR doesn't track), but i also had my fair share of problems with madVR on an ATI/AMD system, so its not really the universal solution to just switch.
Old 27th March 2012, 08:38   #12890  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I get perfect playback on my NVIDIA with the new FSE, it just needs some patience to find the proper settings. This is only on Win7, and only with Fermi series cards.
Nev, can you tell us what are your settings?
(player, splitter, decoder, aero on/off, driver settings (default/custom), madvr settings)
Thank you!
Old 27th March 2012, 09:22   #12891  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Because if it's true there's no way to confirm that the playback is rock solid or not ...
I've always confirmed if playback is rock solid enough through extensive testing with various panning scenes using my eyes. Even with madVR showing perfect stats, you can still have stuttering with the wrong Flush and other advanced madVR tweaks. Other times you can have perfect stats and never get things smooth. And yet other times you can find two settings, neither of which noticably stutter, yet one is still feels subjectively smoother than the other on certain panning scenes. I'd always recommend using Reclock give you a better chance of getting things perfect, since it can resolve various issue resulting from a bad reference audio clock (which D3D and madVR depend on), or a less than perfect refresh rate.

Quote:
Windowed Mode without Aero would show Tearing during the first few minutes of a movie until it properly locked onto the VSync
I've used both GTX470 and GT440 DDR5 Fermi cards, and neither produced any tearing on Win7 with Aero disabled, as long as 'After Last Render Step' was set to Flush or Flush & Wait. You make it sound like the combination of your GPU and Monitor/TV is having trouble locking in the refresh rates. Do you see madVR's refresh rate reading fluctuate a lot for the first few minutes?

Who really knows, it could just be variations among different CPU architectures and motherboard chipsets, stranger things have happened. DPC and other types of latency can certainly vary widely from computer to computer. I'd also expect QueryPerformanceCounter readings could show slight accuracy differences among different architectures, especially in cases of bad BIOS/Chipset implementations.

Quote:
i also had my fair share of problems with madVR on an ATI/AMD system, so its not really the universal solution to just switch.
I have as well. With my ATI 5750 1GB, I haven't been able to get it 100% stable with anything but FSE (new path). Windowed mode has intermittent stuttering no matter what settings I use. All things considered, I still favor NVIDIA cards for use with madVR.

Note: In case it's noteworthy, I have never used HDMI or 23.976Hz refresh rate on any of my setups. Always DVI and higher multiple refresh rates like 48Hz, 72Hz, 96Hz, 120Hz.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 27th March 2012 at 09:30.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 09:30   #12892  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
I've used both GTX470 and GT440 DDR5 Fermi cards, and neither produced any tearing on Win7 with Aero disabled, as long as 'After Last Render Step' was set to Flush or Flush & Wait.
I probably didn't try those flushing options, tbh i only tried without Aero for a brief period when refresh rate switching would cause the compositor fps to be stuck at a wrong value, which was fixed now.

Regarding refresh rates, i did observe that running on high refresh rates increases the chance of playback problems with some configurations. 24p playback at 23.976Hz seems mostly fine, at the same time playing 25p at 50Hz had some minor glitches in the same config.
Doubt HDMI vs DVI would make such a big difference, but then my TV doesn't have DVI.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 27th March 2012 at 09:32.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 10:38   #12893  |  Link
magnusr

My GTX 680 findings with NVIDIA WHQL driver 301.10. Windows 7 X64 SP1. Connected to 63" Samsung Plasma using hdmi.

Had to do the inf fix for 0-255 rgb before install.

Madvr gave a blank picture (all black) if "use a separate device for presentation (Vista / Windows 7 only)" was checked. When that was unchecked everything worked as normal
magnusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 17:36   #12894  |  Link
shaolin95

So exclusively for Image Quality, if I am running 1080p bluray files, there is no IQ difference using an ATI, NVIDIA card or CPU even for as long as all settings are the same? I am trying to understand if the benefits of using a Nvidia card with hardware decoding is mostly for applying filters and the likes when upconverting files.
Thanks
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 20:09   #12895  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
So exclusively for Image Quality, if I am running 1080p bluray files, there is no IQ difference using an ATI, NVIDIA card or CPU even for as long as all settings are the same?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
I am trying to understand if the benefits of using a Nvidia card with hardware decoding is mostly for applying filters and the likes when upconverting files.
Using hardware decoding has no impact on image quality.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 20:41   #12896  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Correct.

Using hardware decoding has no impact on image quality.
Thank so since with my current setup I am using madvr but with the dxva native as my card cannot run copyback, I am still getting the most of it?
I was about to get a gtx460 for cuvid but if I am not going to improve my IQ at all then no point since performance wise, it runs perfectly smooth at ~47.956 for my projector.
Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 20:47   #12897  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If you use DXVA native, then you don't use madVR.
In that case, using madVR could potentially improve quality (on 1080p the difference is much smaller then when upscaling, though)
Old 27th March 2012, 20:56   #12898  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
If you use DXVA native, then you don't use madVR.
In that case, using madVR could potentially improve quality (on 1080p the difference is much smaller then when upscaling, though)
A darn it, so I am not really using it at all
Ok well, I do have a gts 250 on my main computer. I can put it on my HTPC to see if it makes a difference as a test.
Thanks for the information!
Old 27th March 2012, 21:01   #12899  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Note that when you choose "DXVA2 (native)" in LAV Video, you will still use madVR. It's just that LAV will automatically fall back to pure software decoding. Players like MPC-HC allow you to see which filters are actually being used (if you can't identify the distinctive madVR OSD). Also madVR will display a tray icon when in use by default.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 21:16   #12900  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Note that when you choose "DXVA2 (native)" in LAV Video, you will still use madVR. It's just that LAV will automatically fall back to pure software decoding. Players like MPC-HC allow you to see which filters are actually being used (if you can't identify the distinctive madVR OSD). Also madVR will display a tray icon when in use by default.
Yes that was confusing me because I do see madvr icon on the tray and all that.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling