Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st October 2018, 18:13   #52901  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
I have to say the driver situation is becoming very messy for NVIDIA users at the moment, constant requesrts on here for which version to use. Someone should setup a thread specifically to monitor drivers changes and how it affects MADVR / HTPC playback, we could then just refer people to that. You could then maybe work out which driver works for most people and have that listed as the fallback, goto most stable driver.

if this ever becomes necessary for AMD cards i'd do that.
To end the constant requests for which driver depends on what you expect or don't expect the driver to do for your particular interest. It has been stated MANY times, if you seek a driver that does everything HTPC related and is free of any problems, use 385.28.

Some folks don't care about HDR usage. Some aren't interested in 3D. Some don't care about audio properties if the AVR is off. Some don't care if 8bit or 10/12bit is used. Some need HTPC aspects only and others game too. And the list goes on. Again, if you seek a driver for HTPC use free of any problems use 385.28. I should say THE LEAST AMOUNT OF PROBLEMS as some remain to this day. Whether they are of importance to you in your particular usage is for you to determine. In this day and age, so many feel they are entitled to someone doing the dirty work and then hand them the outcome. So, you rely on those that actually get their hands dirty, figure it out yourself, or rely on misinformation because it sounds good to you.

As for a thread detailing driver version changes, I was doing this for months. No one cared. I quit.

Furthermore, I read your posts in lots of forums. You take stabs at nVidia every chance you get while promoting AMD as if it's problem free. Then you pop in demanding answers from folks like madshi to correct your problematic AMD usage. Then you use outdated O/S's and every other "workaround" claiming how perfect your stuff is but the next day you start demanding fixes again. Your nVidia vs. AMD thing needs to stop. We're here to help each other and avoid self promotion and brands.

Last edited by brazen1; 1st October 2018 at 18:40.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 18:17   #52902  |  Link
madjock

You beat me...I agree.

@mclingo

Constant AMD this and that, and always having a dig, we really do not care, and you seem to forget all the stuff you have posted in the past when you had lots of issues with AMD...

Please stop, its turned into the mclingo thread on more than one occasion.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175363

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...92#post1837392

etc.

etc.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 18:20   #52903  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

^ SamuriHL:

"You are what you need" ... I don't mind a CPU made by AMD if it has a reasonable price/performance ratio (intel's ratio got worse with Meltdown/Spectre, AMD was more "honest" in this regard and didn't have to apologize for so much loss). But regarding GPU features, nVidia has its advantages. Unfortunately. It needs more potent opposition to come down to reasonable pricing.

My summary: Being a "fanboy" is also a matter of wealth.

Sorry for off-topic.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 18:54   #52904  |  Link
SamuriHL

That's the thing...both AMD and nVidia have their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to madvr. Everyone has to choose what works best for them but there's always going to be a compromise. In the end, if your GPU has enough power to run the features of madvr you want with issues you can accept, you've found the sweet spot. All the rest is just noise. Of course we all want trouble-free madvr but these are PC's and far too many variables that have little to nothing to do with madvr. I'm quite satisfied with the latest build of madvr and my chosen GPU platform. It's not without issues, but, when doing what we're supposed to be doing with madvr, which is watching content, man that experience is AWESOME!
Old 1st October 2018, 19:01   #52905  |  Link
Asmodian

We need to keep discussion of video cards to a minimum in this thread. Please. It is hard to avoid but please try.

edit: SamuriHL, this post looked wrong after your's. I am not talking about any specific posts but we often take it too far. As I said it is hard to avoid because GPUs are so relevant to madVR.

Last edited by Asmodian; 1st October 2018 at 19:05.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 19:09   #52906  |  Link
brazen1

I agree ^. I think too many folks listen... and watch... their equipment... and their software... rather than their movie. I installed madVR v0.92.17 this weekend. Couldn't be happier. Fixed on ongoing issue started a few releases ago. (Madshi, yours, and your testers contributions for recent tone mapping additions will vastly improve capability for those previously suffering without it. Well done!) My routine is update/upgrade, test, report, workaround if possible, if not revert, and then set and forget. From there, I stop listening and watching my setup and instead enjoy the movie putting all the details out my mind and simply immerse myself into the entertainment. That is the goal isn't it?

Thank you madshi for continuing to enhance our pleasure, remain state of the art, and thrust into the future. And others as well like Nev for the filters, and all the other unnamed contributions pulling everything together creating one hell of an experience every time we desire it.

Last edited by brazen1; 1st October 2018 at 19:22.
Old 1st October 2018, 19:45   #52907  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmein View Post
In this world nothing is perfect. I don't know which dictionary you're using. Furthermore, I don't use HDR or any AMD cards, but I dare to confirm that AMD had more issues than NVIDIA when come with into this topic.
I disagree. AMD and NVIDIA both have their issues. AMD RX-480 is doing quite well for me, but it lacks some perfomance with MadVr. It's not a big deal for me. I have an GTX-1080 but I use it for gaming. I don't like the custom resolution solution with NVIDIA to get a stable image.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 20:39   #52908  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
To end the constant requests....s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
You beat me...I agree.

if you dont like my contributions.

TUFF.
Old 1st October 2018, 20:51   #52909  |  Link
mariner

Novice needs help with watching BT2020 content

Greetings.

Using madVR for watching 4K HDR yt content on standard monitor, and playback turns into a slide show. The setting is "Let madshi decide"

System is i7 NUC with HD620 graphics using mpc/LAV.

Appreciate any kind assistance.
Many thanks and best regards,

Quote:
Note:
This was first posted it the HDR thread, but moved here at member's suggestion for better exposure.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...52#post1853552
mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 20:53   #52910  |  Link
mclingo

hi, yeah I suggested you bring it here. can you post your MADVR osd so we can see your settings and how large your rendering times are. I dont have a NUC but I think this will be useful for us to see.
Old 1st October 2018, 21:00   #52911  |  Link
mclingo

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...85#post1853185

ok guys, i've renamed my thread the general MADVR discussion thread so we can keep our hardware conversations off the main thread.

BRAZEN1 / MADJOCK - totally happy to have a proper discussion with you or anyone else off this thread about hardware, we should keep it off this thread in future and point people in this threads direction if this conversation starts up again.

lets keep this thread completely technical so MADSHI doesnt have hundreds of posts to plough through again.
Old 1st October 2018, 21:04   #52912  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Good a reply from my Nvidia contact. He's looking into the 4xx driver HDR problems. And he told me he got madVR onto the Nvidia driver HDR check list already a year ago. Which means basically all new driver releases are checked for HDR compatability with madVR... So he's kind of wondering how the new 4xx problem didn't get noticed. Maybe they only tested FSE mode, in which 4xx HDR switching still seems to work? Anyway, there's a good chance it might be fixed "soon".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I'm seriously looking into the possibility of rolling back to Win 8.1 on my HTPC.
It's definitely a valid option. That said, the biggest win10 problem (render and present queues not filling) seems to be fixed in v0.92.17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner View Post
Novice needs help with watching BT2020 content

Greetings.

Using madVR for watching 4K HDR yt content on standard monitor, and playback turns into a slide show. The setting is "Let madshi decide"

System is i7 NUC with HD620 graphics using mpc/LAV.
First thing to check is if the decoder queue (Ctrl+J) is properly filled or not. Decoding UHD HDR content is pretty difficult, so you need to pick a suitable decoder. If the decoder queue is nicely filled, then which queue (from top to bottom) is the first one which is in trouble?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 21:10   #52913  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Good a reply from my Nvidia contact. He's looking into the 4xx driver HDR problems. And he told me he got madVR onto the Nvidia driver HDR check list already a year ago. Which means basically all new driver releases are checked for HDR compatability with madVR... So he's kind of wondering how the new 4xx problem didn't get noticed. Maybe they only tested FSE mode, in which 4xx HDR switching still seems to work? Anyway, there's a good chance it might be fixed "soon".
Oh SWEET! Very nice!!

Quote:
It's definitely a valid option. That said, the biggest win10 problem (render and present queues not filling) seems to be fixed in v0.92.17.
I was considering it due to the issues with HDR in the latest nVidia driver but if that's potentially going to be fixed I may hold off. I'm not really having any other issues at present and need to stay fairly current with driver.
Old 1st October 2018, 21:39   #52914  |  Link
wnholt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat4all View Post
i'm using windowed mode with both. Another strange thing with nvidia 4xx.xx drivers, HDR passthrough work fine with mpc-be but not with kodi dsplayer and yet both in windowed mode.
Anyway back to 39x.xx and everything is working as it should.
I also noticed the HDR pass through stopped working in Kodi dsplayer after updating to 4.xx xx drivers, while MPC-HC still worked. I am using full screen mode but found that switching video renderer to DXVA2 native in internal Kodi LAV video filter fixed the pass through problem. Prefer to use D3D11 over DXVA2 but suppose it will have to do until driver issues get resolved.
wnholt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 21:59   #52915  |  Link
brazen1

Hi madshi. Good to hear your nVidia contact is still available. I know he's helped in the past. I assume you can't flood the guy with what could use attention but here's a couple things left to your discretion if at all: Sorry this is so loooong. I wanted to be thorough.

(1) 10bit selection for RGB especially at 23/24Hz and survive a reboot.

(2) No auto switch from stereo to multiple speaker setup in Windows Audio considering if AVR state is On or Off.

(3) And the ever popular Audio Video sync for common refresh rates such as 23.976 f/ps leads to dropped frames without creating custom timings.

#2 is my personal pet peave. If all of this was addressed, and imo, this would be perfection.

Here are some relevant notes I posted in another thread:

I have discovered what I assume is another bug introduced by NVidia drivers. Yesterday I decided to work it out. The problem:

Right click your volume icon with your AVR OFF or in standby using passthrough. It should be setup for Stereo.
Now, turn your AVR ON. It should be setup for 5.1 or 7.1 etc. (What ever you use during video playback)
This should automate between stereo and 7.1 (for example) as you toggle your AVR off and on. If it doesn't, you will have to manually change it. If you forget, high bitrate audios will malfunction (audio filter errors) during video playback mode and/or youtube videos from desktop mode will not start.

Not knowing if this was associated with a Windows update or something else, I decided to install NVidia drivers working backwards to rule them out as the culprit or find a working driver to identify where the problem originated.
Eventually the audio setup started working as intended and I've concluded it is an NVidia driver issue. Here's what I installed and concluded using DDU between installs:
391.35-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe = Audio problem.
391.24-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe = Audio problem.
391.01-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe = Audio problem.
390.65-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe = Audio problem. This is the driver the audio problem was introduced.
All of these drivers also cannot retain a 12bit setting after a reboot but you should be using 8bit anyway since 12bit introduces banding unless your display handles 12bit native properly.

388.59-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe = Does not turn HDR off after HDR playback but Audio switching problem is not present. This was the last good driver for audio switching.
387.92-desktop-win10-64bit-international-rs3-whql.exe = Does not turn HDR on prior to HDR playback.
385.69-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe = Working properly for HDR and Audio switching but any mouse movement turns 3D into 2D briefly. This is the driver I have reverted to. This also means I will need to use FSE.
385.28-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe = Working properly for HDR and Audio switching.
These drivers survive a reboot when using 12bit but again, you should be using 8bit unless your display handles 12bit native properly.

Understanding Nvidia has worked out many bugs, it now has these:

No 10bit selection when using RGB.
No auto switch from stereo to multiple speaker setup in Windows Audio considering if AVR state is On or Off.
Audio Video sync for common refresh rates such as 23.976 f/ps leads to dropped frames without creating custom timings.
Old 1st October 2018, 22:03   #52916  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Sorry, brazen1, I'm getting many requests to ask my Nvidia contact about all kinds of bugs, but I can't do that if I don't want to lose him. I'm trying to bother him only with absolutely critical issues, which are also his responsibility.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 22:05   #52917  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Great info, thanks for the update.

Using madVR v0.92.17 with drivers 411.70 I can switch into HDR mode with both Windowed and FSE (in that my TV displays its HDR logo) but it instantly switches back to SDR mode when the video starts playing in Windowed mode.

D3D11:
If it ever goes into FSE it works fine, even if I then switch back to Windowed (either by bringing up a window over it or switch the player out of full screen).

D3D9 (new path):
When in FSE it flickers back and forth between HDR and SDR when playing the video (I get a blank screen due to the TV never getting time to stabilize in one mode). If I pause it I can see the frame in HDR. If I then force it into fullscreen Windowed (by bringing up the madVR settings window) it stays in HDR mode. If I disable FSE in the settings at this point the movie continues playing in HDR in full screen Windowed.

Maybe this is helpful?

(This is using: Windows 10 Pro, Titan X (Pascal), Zoom Player 14.3, LG OLED C7P)

And thanks for the new version!
I am very impressed by the new "tone map HDR using pixel shaders" when using "output the video in HDR format". It works really well with my TV, I get a noticeably better map of highlights when targeting my measured brightness (680 nits) with no trade-offs, at least that I have noticed. It also works well in SDR mode, all the tricky scenes I had noticed had issues in the past have no issues now.

Last edited by Asmodian; 1st October 2018 at 22:09.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:17   #52918  |  Link
alps006

I am on 1803 and no issues to report but I haven't updated the driver to the latest, still using 18.5.1. I usually don't update drivers when I have a working one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Hi, out of interest, have you moved to 1803 yet, i've been putting this off for fear of problems, there has been much said about AMD card and 1803 on here with MADVR.
alps006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 03:51   #52919  |  Link
mariner

Quote:
First thing to check is if the decoder queue (Ctrl+J) is properly filled or not. Decoding UHD HDR content is pretty difficult, so you need to pick a suitable decoder. If the decoder queue is nicely filled, then which queue (from top to bottom) is the first one which is in trouble?
Thanks for the kind reply, madshi.

LAV can handle the clip with ease using DXVA in EVR-CP. It appears to be using DXVA as well in madVR.

Not sure how to read the queue numbers, but here they are:

Code:
decoder queue 2-3/16
uplodad queue 1-2/8
render queue 1-2/8
present queue 0-1/8
dropped frames 2674

Test clip (#337):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHUOCxVT5ro
mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 05:55   #52920  |  Link
alps006

LoL!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmein View Post
well, nvidia also don't have issues,we all know that nvidia is always performed better when using madvr + mpc.

Last edited by alps006; 2nd October 2018 at 05:58.
alps006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling