Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st March 2011, 02:45   #6181  |  Link
blaster00

You are right. Actually I just don't like the way he says it. He could say too busy and it's not the highest priority to do so instead full negative about it.
But like I said, he is the author and he works for free, it's all up to him. All we can do is waiting
blaster00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 03:31   #6182  |  Link
noee

C'mon guys, seems like a lot of generalities here and very little specifics on why x64 would be "better" than x86 in this situation. There are obviously some very interesting and very useful things coming with madVR, which, no doubt, will require much more coding effort. I'm sure I am not alone, as a madVR user, in the desire to see these features implemented before madshi goes off chasing rainbows for some nebulous so-called "benefits" of x64.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 03:45   #6183  |  Link
jmone

V46 working with JRMC.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 04:36   #6184  |  Link
ranpha

With 0.46, there are problems indeed when playing continuous videos, and with ffdshow/Haali/CoreAVC icons refusing to disappear. This problem doesn't happen with 0.45.
ranpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 08:41   #6185  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
From madVR 0.46 onwards, I will no longer, nor have any desire to use or test MPC-HC subtitles (personal reasons)
Sounds like an interesting background story. Care to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster00 View Post
You are right. Actually I just don't like the way he says it. He could say too busy and it's not the highest priority to do so instead full negative about it.
But like I said, he is the author and he works for free, it's all up to him. All we can do is waiting
If I could simply switch an option in MSVC++ and recompile madVR as x64, I would do that. But it's not that easy. It would cost me several days of work to create a properly working x64 version. I've only very limited time, so spending several days of work on something that has no practical benefit is not an option for me. Especially since there are about a billion other things on my to do list which do have practical benefits when implemented.

If at any time in the future an x64 version will become actually useful, I might reconsider. But even then I'll have to weigh the time an x64 version would cost against the benefit to see if it's worth it.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 08:43   #6186  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.47 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: madVR didn't close properly
I hope all problems are solved now.

Please make sure you use an up to date MPC-HC version. It must be 1.5.2.2988 or higher. Otherwise MPC-HC internal subtitles won't work. With older MPC-HC builds madVR refuses to draw subtitles now. That includes the MPC-HC build I uploaded myself. If you use that, please also update to one of the newer SVN builds, e.g. from here:

http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/index.php?folder=bXBjLWhj
Old 21st March 2011, 09:05   #6187  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpetguy View Post
Hi, going from 0.43 to 0.45 caused one big problem with J.River MC16. Most time I try opning a .mkv file with DVD or BD contents, MC starts, audio is sometimes heard , but with black screen. Sometimes everything works well. It seems that when I disable ConvolverVST plugin, all starts as supposed to. This plugin has been with me for years. The only problem I can see is that it takes 10-15s for it to load my audio room correction file, and during this time, something happens in the video playback department.

As pointed out - this problem started when going from .43 to .45. And I have deleted my .43 copy.... can anyone please help me with that? It worked 100%...

Also - is there anythin to be done with the acutal problem, which may or may not be a madVR related issue?
I run Convolver Wrapper (directshow not VST, but the same basic filter) on Zoom Player and yep, it takes 10-15 secs to start playing (even with files on an SSD).

On my old PC it would sometimes crash.

I always disable the convolver filter when testing. It's kinda dodgy..
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 09:10   #6188  |  Link
jmone

V0.47 all fine with JRMC
Old 21st March 2011, 09:50   #6189  |  Link
pawlol83

Hello, I have a problem with the MicroDVD format, which occurs during video playback in AVI, MKV. Reveals a lack of synchronization. I use MPC Home Cinema Player in the x86 version 1.5.2.2990 and madVR v0.47.

MicroDVD (*. SUB, *. TXT) - Format cage. This is a text file with the compacted initial and final frame sealed in brackets {}. Vertical dash | means to break the text lines. Very popular in the world a few years ago, in Poland so far.

{xxx} {xxx} TEXT
{xxx} {TEXT}
{959} {1034} Directed by
{1049} {1125} Scenario
{1188} {1263} There
{1349} {1421} Photos
or
{959} {1034} Directed by
{1049} {} Writer
{1188} {} There
{1349} {} Photos

Please refer to the problem.

Last edited by pawlol83; 21st March 2011 at 09:53.
pawlol83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 10:09   #6190  |  Link
Trumpetguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
I run Convolver Wrapper (directshow not VST, but the same basic filter) on Zoom Player and yep, it takes 10-15 secs to start playing (even with files on an SSD).

On my old PC it would sometimes crash.

I always disable the convolver filter when testing. It's kinda dodgy..
/OT
Getting any version of Convolver to work properly was a pain, yes. In J.River MC, the VST version is stable, though. Main problem is that development is discontinued.
/OT

0.47 works with my J.River MC16 setup! Thanks for really quick debugging work - and for the entire development of all mad products. Really, really appreciate your efforts, madshi!
Trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 10:10   #6191  |  Link
Luv

For us,happy Zoomplayer users,is there a reason to upgrade to 0.47,Madshi ? Are we actually concerned by this sub implementation ?
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 10:16   #6192  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
About the seek bar again...

I remember you said that the reason it's delayed is because the queue is a few frames long. But isn't it possible to add it onto the images right before they are displayed?
It was be possible, but then the queues would be less effective. The design of the queues is that I have a number of frames fully rendered so they can be presented in an instant. If I can't do that, anymore, if even all queues rendered frames still have to be rendered over again (for the seekbar) I can't present instantly, anymore, which would possibly screw up smooth motion playback.

Quote:
Also, when watching a movie that is wider than my monitor, the seek bar appears at the bottom of (and overlaps) the movie. Can it be moved to the very bottom of the screen, in the black bar?
Maybe in a future version. To be honest, these are all minor cosmetical issues, IMHO, so I prefer to add missing important features first before working on such minor issues. E.g., would you have preferred me to implement subtitle support or to move the seekbar to another place? I can only do one thing at a time. So I choose to implement those things that are most important first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
If that means lower performance/accuracy, why not adding an option for troubleshooting purposes only?
Well, it does mean FPU operations are lower accuracy. But madVR itself does not do any FPU operations. However, the media player itself may. Anyway, the default D3D9 behaviour is to enforce single precision. I think it's also usually done this way for VMR and EVR. So I guess it's not too much of a problem.

Quote:
Adding to my post above.
The volume change messages are also annoyingly delayed.
The "Pause" message appears instantly (don't know how the queue works there), but sometimes when I unpause, the "Play" message is shown for one (?) frame, then the "Pause" message re-appears, and after [the normal delay for everything] it goes back to "Play" (which then finally disappears after a few secs).
Also, all of these messages would also be nice to have at the top of the screen inside the black bar when there is one.
Yes, agreed. But again, these are minor cosmetical "problems", while madVR is still missing a few big things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
What I meant to say was that the OSD messages that show the current location time-code in the file when skipping through is not activated in FSE...however subtitle changes do show in FSE for me
Ah. The reason for that is that the location time-code is shown by MPC-HC if you use the MPC-HC seekbar. If you use the madVR exclusive mode seekbar, madVR seeks "behind the back" of MPC-HC, so of course MPC-HC doesn't show the seek location time-code. I could add that myself, but then this is a very play specific thing. A different media player might behave differently, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea for me to add OSD popups targetted at how MPC-HC behaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlol83 View Post
Hello, I have a problem with the MicroDVD format, which occurs during video playback in AVI, MKV. Reveals a lack of synchronization. I use MPC Home Cinema Player in the x86 version 1.5.2.2990 and madVR v0.47.
How far off is the sync? Is it totally wrong? Or is it only slightly wrong? Is it wrong by the same offset all the time? Or does the sync vary? E.g. is it sometimes too early, sometimes too late? Or e.g. sometimes slightly too late, sometimes much too late? Etc etc etc... You see: I need a much more detailed description of the problem. Finally: Does the problem also occur with VMR/EVR, or does it only occur with madVR?
Old 21st March 2011, 10:18   #6193  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv View Post
For us,happy Zoomplayer users,is there a reason to upgrade to 0.47,Madshi ? Are we actually concerned by this sub implementation ?
As far as I can see, ZoomPlayer does not have its own subtitle rendering engine? In that case v0.47 has only limited benefit over v0.43. However, I've fixed at least one problem where a user had graphical corruption in ZoomPlayer when switching between exclusive <-> windowed mode. So there might be some benefit. And I think v0.47 should not be any worse compared to v0.43, so I don't see any reason not to update.
Old 21st March 2011, 10:28   #6194  |  Link
Trumpetguy

As I am not able to find out in neither in the JRMC forum nor in this thread - is it possible to render subs directly with madvr>0.43 in J.River MC?
And being a newbie on these things, how? Thanks!
Old 21st March 2011, 10:29   #6195  |  Link
Luv

Ok then but I never saw any kind of corruption with 0.43 when switching modes.Maybe the solution lies in the fact that I'm still using 5.02 and not the latest 7.xx flavour...
Thanks for the hard work anyway,Madshi.
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 10:48   #6196  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
As I am not able to find out in neither in the JRMC forum nor in this thread - is it possible to render subs directly with madvr>0.43 in J.River MC?
And being a newbie on these things, how? Thanks!
FYI - I render my subs in MC using FFDSHOW (I also use the LAV Splitter which connects them just fine).
Old 21st March 2011, 11:01   #6197  |  Link
Trumpetguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
FYI - I render my subs in MC using FFDSHOW (I also use the LAV Splitter which connects them just fine).
I read that further up, right? I have tried that solution, but for now, IMO DirectVobSub have been the best solution. And reading madshi's explanation, this makes sense. For hd material, no difference, but for sd material using ffdshow sub rendering, the subs are scaled with the videostream (for 720 and 1080 playback). This results in more coarse subs. Using DirectVobSub adds the text after the scaling is done, giving prettier subs (still quite ugly on old dvd material, though).

Anyway, if I can get rid of DirectVobSub, I am happy. And if original SUPs at any point can be played, even more so. I am no expert on this, but when converting SUP to SUB, font smoothing is decreased. I have read somewhere that subs support 4 colours, while sup supports 256 colours.

Is there any way madvr can render the original .sup, either from within a .mkv or as external file?
Old 21st March 2011, 11:16   #6198  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I read that further up, right? I have tried that solution, but for now, IMO DirectVobSub have been the best solution. And reading madshi's explanation, this makes sense. For hd material, no difference, but for sd material using ffdshow sub rendering, the subs are scaled with the videostream (for 720 and 1080 playback). This results in more coarse subs. Using DirectVobSub adds the text after the scaling is done, giving prettier subs (still quite ugly on old dvd material, though).

Anyway, if I can get rid of DirectVobSub, I am happy. And if original SUPs at any point can be played, even more so. I am no expert on this, but when converting SUP to SUB, font smoothing is decreased. I have read somewhere that subs support 4 colours, while sup supports 256 colours.

Is there any way madvr can render the original .sup, either from within a .mkv or as external file?
AFAIK both ffdshow and DirectVobSub render the subs *before* the video is scaled. The only way to do it differently is to communicate directly with the renderer via a special interface. I don't think either ffdshow or DirectVobSub are doing that. MPC-HC's internal subtitle rendering engine does that, so does seemingly PotPlayer. I guess with ZoomPlayer and J.River Media Center you're stuck with ffdshow and DirectVobSub because they don't seem to have an internal subtitle rendering engine.
Old 21st March 2011, 11:32   #6199  |  Link
pawlol83

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
How far off is the sync? Is it totally wrong? Or is it only slightly wrong? Is it wrong by the same offset all the time? Or does the sync vary? E.g. is it sometimes too early, sometimes too late? Or e.g. sometimes slightly too late, sometimes much too late? Etc etc etc... You see: I need a much more detailed description of the problem. Finally: Does the problem also occur with VMR/EVR, or does it only occur with madVR?
The problem occurs only in madVR rendering mode. At the beginning of the subtitles are displayed correctly (full synchronization). Once a film rewind a few minutes to the front or back, the subtitles are displayed by a few seconds too early. When you return the slider to the beginning of the video the subtitles are again synchronized.
pawlol83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 11:51   #6200  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlol83 View Post
The problem occurs only in madVR rendering mode. At the beginning of the subtitles are displayed correctly (full synchronization). Once a film rewind a few minutes to the front or back, the subtitles are displayed by a few seconds too early. When you return the slider to the beginning of the video the subtitles are again synchronized.
When the subtitles are not synchronized, what happens if you just continue playback for 2-3 minutes? Do they automatically get back into sync? Or will they stay out of sync forever?

Can anybody else reproduce this problem?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling