Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th April 2011, 20:34   #7181  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb Egorych View Post
For 25 fps videos on 60Hz LCD I have 1-2 glitches per second and judder is subjectively bigger than with EVR. But as I understand your main goal is to reach smooth playback for frequencies multiple of video fps.
Well, I do want to achieve the best possible results with odd ratios, too. Does the old exclusive mode work better for 25fps on 60Hz for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps View Post
I don't really get it. I inteded to try out different flush settings yesterday, but all of a sudden I didn't get nearly as many drops/glitches as the day before without changing anything.
Yeah, tell me about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
Windowed mode can be perfect.

But it's not ALWAYS perfect. Sometimes it just misbehaves - little jumps/jerks/delays. Tiny, but I notice them.

It's inconsistent with windowed mode. Usually, restarting playback (completely) results in a perfect result....it's a crapshoot.
Ok, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Have not had a chance to do full testing yet (really needs to be done when I have the time to properly watch something rather than have it on in the background) but it looks like 25p at 50Hz MAY be smooth with the "glitch-hack" version and set to only present one frame.

Have not tried the regular 0.57 for comparison or watched closely to see if there are stutters that are not reported. It seemed like it might be OK now though.

UPDATE: Nope, having the old problem of the render queue and backbuffer gradually dropping to 0 when framerate/refresh are 1:1.

Haven't had a chance to do further testing with 25p at 50Hz or 30p at 60Hz. It seems like it may work when framerate/refresh are not 1:1 but not when they are.
Something is seriously weird with your setup. Don't know what/why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman View Post
With 0.52 I had really choppy playback, but 0.56 and 0.57 are performing pretty good I must say and even if there are some glitches, I can't really see them and playback seems to be smooth.

But test build is performing even better I think. I can use just 6 pre-rendered frames instead of 12 to play some benchmark 1080p videos without dropped frames. And I found it a little bit smoother, but it can also be a placebo since there is always zero on glitch counter
Ok, good to know, thanks.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 20:38   #7182  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.58 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: 23p/59i movie did not activate 59p display mode
* removed v0.57 win7 specific presentation path again, didn't work so well
* added glitch hack as a new render option (Vista/Win7 only)
Would be great if everybody could test the "glitch hack" and give FEEDBACK on whether it's better/worse/equal for you. FWIW, when you activate the glitch hack, madVR always does a "flush & wait" after the last render step now, even if you tell it not to, because otherwise there would be nasty artifacts.

With the glitch hack deactivated, v0.58 should behave more or less similar to v0.56 (with added display mode changing functionality, of course).

EDIT: The glitch hack also affects windowed mode, btw. (but again only in Vista / Windows 7)

Last edited by madshi; 19th April 2011 at 21:43.
Old 19th April 2011, 21:11   #7183  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

has the order of the refresh rates entered in that line have actually anything to say or is it arbitrary?
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 21:15   #7184  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

If no good match is found at all, display modes listed first are more likely to be chosen. However, as soon as a mode at least somewhat matches the requirements, the order doesn't matter, anymore.
Old 19th April 2011, 21:34   #7185  |  Link
moophone

Quote:
Are you saying that madVR chooses 1080p23 for a 720p50 movie instead of 1080p50? If that happens, that's a bug. Can you create a log for me, please, which shows madVR choosing 1080p23 for a 720p50 movie? Also, what is the exact list of display modes you allowed madVR to switch to?
Not a bug - I had 1080p25 as a resolution which is invalid. After removing it, a 720p50 source file correctly changes to 1080p50.

Maybe it should throw up a dialog saying it can't switch to that resolution or something? If nothing else, may save some support traffic from user error
moophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 21:36   #7186  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Would be great if everybody could test the "glitch hack" and give FEEDBACK on whether it's better/worse/equal for you.
Works well for me with or without the glitch hack. I can't notice any difference. Radeon 5750 and 11.2 drivers if that's any help.
Old 19th April 2011, 21:49   #7187  |  Link
Gleb Egorych

Quote:
Well, I do want to achieve the best possible results with odd ratios, too. Does the old exclusive mode work better for 25fps on 60Hz for you?
Hadn't found how to enable old path in 0.58, tested it in 0.50. Yes, old exclusive mode is better than new for 25fps on 60Hz. Judder with old is regular while with new it's jerky.
Gleb Egorych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 21:51   #7188  |  Link
tschi

Hi,
Thanks for the new version.
win7, ati 5770, catalyst 11.3,
15 min of bluray 23,976 @50hz with reclock (best sync, pcm waspi)
Don't flush for all, 10 present frames.
w/o glitches hack : 0 dropped/delayed frame, 0 presentation glitche
w glitches hack : 1 dropped frames, 0 delayed frames, 5 presentation glitches
w giltches hack + 1 prepresent one frame : 0 dropped/delayed frame
0.57 doesn't work well, a lot of dropped frames and presentations glitches

Last edited by tschi; 19th April 2011 at 21:54. Reason: english
tschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 22:07   #7189  |  Link
fairchild

v.058 On my setup with the coalgirls 1080p clip

w/o glitches hack : 0 dropped/delayed frame, 0 presentation glitches
w glitches hack : 0 dropped/delayed frame, 0 presentation glitches

So no noticeable difference with glitches hack on or off. Everything in madVR at defaults aside from luma up/down changed to Bicubic75. My setup is in my sig.
Old 19th April 2011, 22:15   #7190  |  Link
Superb

Just tried this renderer for the first time and it works really well. Thanks madshi.
One small question... resetting stats is CTRL+R, right? Quite annoying, since this is also MPC-HC's default for reset rate. Sometimes when I press the combination, it restarts the movie. :/
So for now I've changed MPC-HC's default "Reset Rate" combination to avoid the collision.
Is it possible that you'll change your reset stats to CTRL+ALT+R? Would make it like EVR-CP and EVR-Sync.

EDIT: btw, I currently use madVR out of "c:\madVR", cuz I've noticed it creates a settings.bin file.
Since I have UAC turned on, it won't have such access if I put it in Program Files. Will it still function properly from there?
Could you provide a nicer installer for next versions (possibly based upon Inno Setup)? The current one made Windows ask me "did this software install correctly?"...

EDIT2: I noticed MPC-HC has a "D3D Fullscreen" check available in the Output page of the settings. Is it better to use this together w/ madVR's exclusive mode? any advantages in doing that? (I saw it disables madVR's own seek bar)

Last edited by Superb; 19th April 2011 at 22:34.
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 22:40   #7191  |  Link
oddball

Using glitch hack 0 dropped frames (But 15 at startup). 0 delayed frames. 2 presentation glitches using default settings. Length 23:34 720p 23.976fps
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 22:51   #7192  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb View Post
EDIT: btw, I currently use madVR out of "c:\madVR", cuz I've noticed it creates a settings.bin file.
Since I have UAC turned on, it won't have such access if I put it in Program Files. Will it still function properly from there?
Yes, it also uses the registry to save settings.

Quote:
EDIT2: I noticed MPC-HC has a "D3D Fullscreen" check available in the Output page of the settings. Is it better to use this together w/ madVR's exclusive mode? any advantages in doing that? (I saw it disables madVR's own seek bar)
It doesn't change anything for madVR, except that it will start in fullscreen. The name "D3D fullscreen" is only there from the other renderers.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 00:10   #7193  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Bug report:
I'm getting 100% CPU usage and GUI freeze (audio continues) running v0.58, playing any type of content by going from a player window on monitor #1 to fullscreen on monitor #2.
This is with the default settings, Win7 32bit, NVIDIA 450GT.

Tested with Zoom Player, with the "Advanced Options / System - Fullscreen to Monitor" set to "2" and pressing Alt+Enter several times in a row.

Here's the log, I hope it captured ok as I had to kill the task:
http://t.inmatrix.com/madVRlog3.rar
Old 20th April 2011, 00:32   #7194  |  Link
Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
It doesn't change anything for madVR, except that it will start in fullscreen. The name "D3D fullscreen" is only there from the other renderers.
It makes the seek bar not show at all, so I wonder what else it affects.
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 00:39   #7195  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
It makes the seek bar not show at all, so I wonder what else it affects.
Let me rephrase my statement: it shouldn't affect the way madVr works, except that it will start in fullscreen. Maybe you have found a bug.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 00:43   #7196  |  Link
mindbomb

can someone clarify how the display modes thing is supposed to work?

Like, i put in 1080p23 and i have to do additional stuff in the driver settings as well?
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 00:46   #7197  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
I'm not sure if disabling refresh rate changing in windowed mode makes much sense. E.g. imagine you start a movie in windowed mode with the display set to 1080p60. The movie is 24p. So you'll get non-smooth playback. Now you switch to exclusive mode. madVR switches to 1080p24. Smooth playback. Now you right click on the video to do something with the context menu. madVR goes to windowed mode, and thus switches back to 60p. Then you close the context menu. madVR goes back to exclusive mode and switches back to 1080p24.

That's not really a good idea because changing display modes takes time, and some displays take several seconds to resync to a different mode.
How about disable it in non-fullscreen mode then?
Old 20th April 2011, 00:56   #7198  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
can someone clarify how the display modes thing is supposed to work?

Like, i put in 1080p23 and i have to do additional stuff in the driver settings as well?
One thing I noticed is that you must specify more than one mode, ie, 1080p23, 1080p59, ....

My display normally stays on 1080p59, so I thought I could put 1080p23 and madVR would switch to that when needed, and just not do anything with other rates (almost everything else I watch needs 1080p59). But until I added the second mode, it would not switch.
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 01:46   #7199  |  Link
jdl

New log file with CRTL-J active
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 02:15   #7200  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
One thing I noticed is that you must specify more than one mode, ie, 1080p23, 1080p59, ....

My display normally stays on 1080p59, so I thought I could put 1080p23 and madVR would switch to that when needed, and just not do anything with other rates (almost everything else I watch needs 1080p59). But until I added the second mode, it would not switch.
I think that's not true. Perhaps that was the bug in 0.57?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling