Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th June 2003, 13:47   #1  |  Link
ZiPo

RealMedia Alternative

I've created a RealMedia codec pack for users that don't want to install the official RealOne Player (like me, hehe)
I hope the name is okey (here i'm thinking of Quicktime Alternative...) if not, please say so, and i'll change it

The pack is around 5mb and you can get it here
http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl31430/realmediaalt100.exe
Old 18th June 2003, 23:15   #2  |  Link
pacohaas
Audio Moderator

never installed realplayer on this computer, decided to try this along with WMPClassic (newest version 6.4.5.6) and it's a no-go. says realone player or realplayer is needed to play rm files.
Old 19th June 2003, 00:41   #3  |  Link
Animaniac

Isn't there already a Real Alternative (by the same person as Quick Time alternative)? Or are you that person?
Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 01:47   #4  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Codec Packs including Real codecs are illegal.
Old 19th June 2003, 02:23   #5  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirber
Codec Packs including Real codecs are illegal.
/me wonders again if Sirber is maybe on the payroll of some well known company, as he feels like having to remind us all about such things ...
ChristianHJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 02:26   #6  |  Link
karl_lillevold

It is sad how RealPlayer's reputation prevents people from trying out RV9 and RV9-EHQ. Its quality really deserves a look, IMbiasedO. RealPlayer has behaved badly, no doubt, and even the latest RealOne has some annoying features, included to try and sell subscriptions and advertising, this is admittedly true.

However, it is possible to install it, disable these features, then forget all about it, and run MPC to play RV9 forever after. Please take a look at this thread for how:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48179

Personally, I am happy as long as it is easy to play back RV9..

However, my company does put importance into the number of installations of its multimedia player. BTW, the latest version is called RealOne, and is much better than before. Especially the upcoming version is in fact pretty darn nice with some cool new features.

In any case, codec pack users or RealPlayer haters, I have verified (after filing bugs on it) that in the upcoming RealOne player, both background processes and the Message Center can be disabled without having to move away files (as described in the thread above). It is still a rather full-featured player, and there is a sign-in process when it is first used, but I am afraid removing these would be hard. Which other concerns do you have that I may (or may not) be able to address?
Old 19th June 2003, 02:41   #7  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold Which other concerns do you have that I may (or may not) be able to address?
... the REAL codec API ( if there is one at all ), so we can use your codcs independantly, or even start building a new opn codec API based on it .... j/k ... thx for the clariifying words Karl ...
ChristianHJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 02:46   #8  |  Link
pacohaas
Audio Moderator

the aformentioned thread links to a "direct download page", though once you try to download the windows version it sends you through the infamous real webtrap, where all your attention is drawn to the "FREE 7-DAY TRIAL" in the middle of the screen, and the actual link to the free player is somewhere off in the upper right corner. Now if you come to the supposed "direct download" page for the free player and you see this all CAPS link to something FREE, wouldn't you assume that that's what the direct download was for? How about linking it to the actual file the way a direct download should be, or not calling it a direct download at all, but rather a link to the real network web circus.
Old 19th June 2003, 03:31   #9  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Your comment is quite aggressive...

But you know... sometime web sites are not well constructed. Have you ever tryed to find something on microsoft.com? You can always find things elsewhere, like on Kazaa, eMule, or google.com. Try this link from download.com given for free by Sirber

RealOne Player v2 gold:
http://download.com.com/3000-2194-10153493.html

Have fun!!!
Old 19th June 2003, 03:40   #10  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by pacohaas
the aformentioned thread links to a "direct download page", though once you try to download the windows version it sends you through the infamous real webtrap
Shoot, they changed this over the last few days, and I did not know. It used to be so simple, now it's all complicated again.

EDIT: link problem corrected. The link temporarily required another field to get around the re-direction.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 20th June 2003 at 15:51.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 03:49   #11  |  Link
outlyer

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold
It is sad how RealPlayer's reputation prevents people from trying out RV9 and RV9-EHQ. Its quality really deserves a look, IMbiasedO. RealPlayer has behaved badly, no doubt, and even the latest RealOne has some annoying features, included to try and sell subscriptions and advertising, this is admittedly true.
IMAlsoBiasedO Real won't be able to lose this reputation until it stops forcing users to install its bloated player and using the traps pacohaas mentioned.

The helixcommunity is a nice initiative and it probably gives some new impressions to developers but for end users Real still looks and smells like Real.
outlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 03:55   #12  |  Link
karl_lillevold

i apologize for the "direct download" link info. It has been working for several months, but was changed to require some additional information.

Again, the link in this thread works:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48179

Yes, RealOne is a rather big and full-featured player, some features are very nice though. Just wait and see. I do use MPC myself though, for all other media types, and love it.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 20th June 2003 at 15:54.
Old 19th June 2003, 04:47   #13  |  Link
pacohaas
Audio Moderator

thanks for the link karl! I didn't mean my last post to be hostile, I guess that's just the tone I took when I was tossed frome page to page. It's good to see that some people are out to change not only the image and reputation, but the actual product for the better.
Old 19th June 2003, 05:06   #14  |  Link
31 Flavas
RV10 Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by outlyer
IMAlsoBiasedO Real won't be able to lose this reputation until it stops forcing users to install its bloated player and using the traps pacohaas mentioned.
Actually, IMO, I think the biggest problem is the people that insist on using RP8 for this supposed 'lean-ness'. Why would you want to continue to cripple yourself using RP8 when RealOne V2 is so much nicer. Are you masochistic?

Edit:

This is not to say that RealOne V2 is not bloated. But it's far better than RP8.

Last edited by 31 Flavas; 19th June 2003 at 05:44.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 05:43   #15  |  Link
31 Flavas
RV10 Nerd

Quote:

Which other concerns do you have that I may (or may not) be able to address?
This, i'm sure, goes against what marketing wants, but might there be any chance to make the "features" to be optionally installable? Like the option to take over (or not takeover) file associations and such.

---

I found something called the "Enterprise" edition of RealOne. According to the webpage it has all the consumer features taken out. The jukebox, the message center, radio tuner, cd maker, etc.

It did appear to be outdated vs the consumer RealOne V2. (for example, it will play RV9 files, but display the RA8 logo instead of RV9. This problem existed in the consumer RealOne player when RV9 had just been released.

Maybe could marketing comprimise on an updated build of this "Enterprise" edition only promoted here on doom9?
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 08:51   #16  |  Link
slavickas
I'm Shpongled

Quote:
i apologize for the "direct download" link info. It has been working for several months, but now they have replaced it with the annoying web trap, as you so accurately describe it.

Here is a link that may work, but I bet not for long. use mozilla, opera (go norway!), firebird, or netscape. Avoid IE as it will start an ActiveX download app (harmless though, but still a little scary).

Yes, RealOne is a bloated player. I use MPC myself, and love it.
isn't RealOne Enterprise Desktop less bloated way to get "officially" codecs and use mpc?
slavickas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 16:47   #17  |  Link
iwod

Quote:
Shoot, they changed this over the last few days, and I did not know. It used to be so great, now it's all complicated again. Marketing people must have had their way. I will update my info page.
I am getting the feeling that karl really loves the codec ( as he has done a lot of work on it )

But has been let down by his own company player......

Personally i still don't like to sign up for a player....

As for the enterprise version......... i am interested as well.......

But i still would like to see a DDshow player filter.....

Karl said it is technically possible......... may be one day my C++ skill is good enough i will make one.......
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 17:19   #18  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Actually, I like RealOne, but it is very full-featured, and there are a few steps needed to configure it to behave the way I prefer (see other thread - it does not take over filetypes unless you configure it to - and "custom" install is needed).

I understand the desire to have your favorite choice of a small player only, even though I do not quite understand how problematic it is to have those RealOne features, just never use them... Still, users want to choose their own player, regardless of format, and a general DirectShow filter would provide this ability. It is possible to write one, but the powers-that-decide have not made that a priority, one reason is like I mentioned, the number of RealOne installations. I think the quality and features of the player should be the main selling factor, not the quality of the video (RV9 and RV9-EHQ).

What I really dislike and always have, is the web trap. A nice and simple direct download link should be available, instead of having to really search for the "free player" link among lots of other pay for links. When you do install the free player, I am afraid there is enough upsell there already, and the web trap is just annoying users before they even have a chance to download it.

I am, however, not able to understand how RP8 is still recommended by some. This is a really buggy and badly behaving player, and I would much much rather do the steps needed to make RealOne behave.

With regards to the Enterprise edition, this sounds like a nice version, but I have not tried it myself. My one big concern, though, which is also true for RP8, is that some components that are really important for smooth high quality playback, are not updated. Specifically, the video renderer is so critical for smooth, jitter-free, full-screen playback on all video cards, and the latest version of this has many improvements, especially the one which will be included with the next RealOne.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 19th June 2003 at 17:23.
Old 19th June 2003, 18:29   #19  |  Link
iwod

Quote:
Actually, I like RealOne, but it is very full-featured, and there are a few steps needed to configure it to behave the way I prefer (see other thread - it does not take over filetypes unless you configure it to - and "custom" install is needed).

I understand the desire to have your favorite choice of a small player only, even though I do not quite understand how problematic it is to have those RealOne features, just never use them... Still, users want to choose their own player, regardless of format, and a general DirectShow filter would provide this ability. It is possible to write one, but the powers-that-decide have not made that a priority, one reason is like I mentioned, the number of RealOne installations. I think the quality and features of the player should be the main selling factor, not the quality of the video (RV9 and RV9-EHQ).

What I really dislike and always have, is the web trap. A nice and simple direct download link should be available, instead of having to really search for the "free player" link among lots of other pay for links. When you do install the free player, I am afraid there is enough upsell there already, and the web trap is just annoying users before they even have a chance to download it.

I am, however, not able to understand how RP8 is still recommended by some. This is a really buggy and badly behaving player, and I would much much rather do the steps needed to make RealOne behave.

With regards to the Enterprise edition, this sounds like a nice version, but I have not tried it myself. My one big concern, though, which is also true for RP8, is that some components that are really important for smooth high quality playback, are not updated. Specifically, the video renderer is so critical for smooth, jitter-free, full-screen playback on all video cards, and the latest version of this has many improvements, especially the one which will be included with the next RealOne.
As i have siad before. Some people who THINKS they know a lot about computer ( well.... they do.... but not alot about video encoding and real ) keeps on telling people to use RP8. The reason behind is simple. They thought there is too much in RealONE and it is bloated ( most of the time bloated means resources hog ) and therefore use Rp8.

For the power to decide thing about DDshow player filter.... should we open up a pentiton about it?
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 19:03   #20  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by iwod
... keeps on telling people to use RP8. The reason behind is simple. They thought there is too much in RealONE and it is bloated ( most of the time bloated means resources hog ) and therefore use Rp8.
Re RP8: this is rather funny. RP8 was a real resource hog, got such a bad rep for it. So there was a big push to optimize memory use, startup times, everything. All of this went into RealOne, so even though it has more features, it is lighter and faster, and more resource friendly than RP8. RP8 would even install itself in memory to try and improve startup times (like mozilla) unless you configured it not too. RealOne does not, but it is not the smallest player, no doubt about it.