Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 2nd July 2003, 03:43   #1  |  Link
bassline

un-encoding xvid videos

Hi all,

I'm trying to take a video that has been encoded using xvid codec and undo the encoding. so instead of having a 700mb avi I would end up with 1.6gig avi. but whenever I use virtualdub I get an error saying Failure streaming AVI file: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Now I know you might be thinking this is a virtualdub question and shouldn't be in the xvid forum but before you jump to that conclusion hear me out. I did put this question in the virtualdub forum with all the settings I used and the response I got back was the file is damaged which it isn't. or there is a problem with the encoder and decoder. But I can do everything EXACTLY the same with another video and it will all work out prefect, but if the video is encoded using xvid codec then I'm screwed. I get that error every time. and if I try a different program to encode the movie and I don't get an error; the words are off instead. damned if I do, damned if I don't. I'm using virtualdubmod and that is whats giving the error. if you want to know the settings you can check the error out in the virtualdub forum or just reply saying you want to know them and I will let you know. thanks for any help.
bassline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2003, 05:04   #2  |  Link
Animaniac

Chances are the file is corrupt. This tends to happen with downloaded files...
Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2003, 06:17   #3  |  Link
Koepi

Yes agreed, sounds like a clear rule6 to me.

I can't reproduce the behaviour that xvid encoded content can't be decoded by virtualdub/virtualdubmod. A CRC error is meaning that there is a defect in the file which can't be recovered.

Sorry pal, buy the DVD and you have your huge "undone encoded" file.

(I want to remind you about rule 12 this time.)

Koepi
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote