Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st April 2006, 00:28   #1  |  Link
Primetime

King Kong

I am using DVDFab Decrypter and when I burn the DVD to disk it keeps making some of the chapters/scenes blurry. Is anyone else having this problem?
Primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2006, 00:46   #2  |  Link
WarDog

Yes, the movie is to big to put on a single DVD5. You need to split it or try DVD Rebuilder.
WarDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2006, 00:50   #3  |  Link
BSpielbauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime
I am using DVDFab Decrypter and when I burn the DVD to disk it keeps making some of the chapters/scenes blurry. Is anyone else having this problem?
I suspect you compressed it. What program did you use to compress? Did you keep all of the extras, and all of the audio tracks, and commentary, and the subtitles? If you did, keep in mind that King Kong is a VERY long movie. The only way it can all fit onto one single layer (if you insist on this as the end result), is if you use a LOT of compression. This will always mean a poor final picture quality, due to the length of this particular film.

Option 1 - You could split this to two discs. Option 2 - You could also eliminate everything you do not absolutely have to have, which will leave you with more space for the main movie to fit. Option 3 - You could also buy dual layer blank media (assuming your burner and your home DVD player can handle this).

-Bruce
BSpielbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2006, 01:18   #4  |  Link
VWRacer

I made 2 versions. One Reauthored on DVD Shrink at 53%, one I ripped an ISO on Decrypter, and did a DL burn. Considering there isn't a whole lot you can remove, I considered 53% borderline on compression. Needless to say, the DL print is excellent.

Racer
VWRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2006, 01:22   #5  |  Link
WarDog

70% is really borderlined. Anything below that you are wasting a disk especially if you are watching it on a big screen HDTV.
Old 1st April 2006, 02:03   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

At the risk of eliciting wisecracks questioning the size of my viewing screen, be advised that DVD2One generated a very acceptable compressed version of the single disc version of this (Full) Region1 DVD.

I presume the broad black borders contributed to the "compressibility-without-deterioration".

To make an ABSOLUTE statement as to "acceptable levels of compression" is not a valid concept.

The length of the movie is only one of the factors in the quality of the compressed version. Other factors are:

1) The software used to compress (I find both DVD2One and DVD95Copy to yield far better results than DVD Shrink)

2) Degree of "high action" in the movie

3) Degree of extreme colors in the movie

4) Number/Type of audiostreams (This one disc version contains only a 5.1AC3 stream)

5) Filesize of extras (Virtually non-existent on this version)
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2006, 03:02   #7  |  Link
BSpielbauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old
To make an ABSOLUTE statement as to "acceptable levels of compression" is not a valid concept.
Correct.

And, the list you posted is 100% accurate, but I would also remind lurkers that even that list is not a "complete" list of factors.

-Bruce
BSpielbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2006, 03:35   #8  |  Link
WarDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old
At the risk of eliciting wisecracks questioning the size of my viewing screen
I was answering VWRacer in reference to DVD Shrink, not DVD2One or DVD95Copy. I don't know why you even brought them up in regards to my post or that I may say something about the size of your viewing screen again.
Old 1st April 2006, 03:54   #9  |  Link
LordHeinrich

For those of you that want the maximum quality after compressing, download this zip file (2.51MB):

http://rapidshare.de/files/16688470/King_Kong.zip.html

Read the directions in the "Readme.txt". It is only tested on the Widescreen Single Disc version.

The most important part of the directions is to only rip chapters 1 through 49 using DVD Decrypter in IFO Mode...
LordHeinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2006, 08:30   #10  |  Link
setarip_old

@LordHeinrich

Hi!

You refer to "only rip chapters 1 through 49 using DVD Decrypter in IFO Mode...". Am I correct in presuming you are not providing a way of creating a DVD copy?

I ask because the postings in this thread are all about making a backup DVD...
Old 1st April 2006, 08:35   #11  |  Link
setarip_old

@WarDog

My lighthearted statement (and the entirety of my post) wasn't directed toward anyone in particular...
Old 1st April 2006, 10:23   #12  |  Link
manono

Hi-

And, the list you posted is 100% accurate, but I would also remind lurkers that even that list is not a "complete" list of factors.

True. I would say that of the items in the list, the black borders helped to make it compressible, as well as the inclusion of only 1 audio stream and lack of extras. However, there are 2 more important reasons (in my opinion) why it compresses so well. One is that it's exceptionally "clean". The whole thing has been "digitally scrubbed" somehow. There's little to no film grain to make it harder to compress. The huge amount of CG probably has something to do with that. I'm pretty sure that every single frame has been digitally manipulated. Also, the average quant is quite low, meaning that there's quite a bit of "overhead" for further compression. I've seen a DVD Shrink version of it, and it looked remarkably good on my HDTV. I was surprised. This is the most compressible DVD I've seen since Sin City (also a CG job).

Just remember that the bitrate by itself has little or nothing to do with how good a film might look after being reencoded, or even transcoded. For some films, 3000 is plenty (as in this case), but for others 5000 isn't near enough. Much more important is the average quant, combined with the matrix used.

Since he didn't provide many details, I have no idea why Primetime's version is blurry.

Last edited by manono; 3rd April 2006 at 01:55.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 00:04   #13  |  Link
coodbe

I used DVD Rebuilder Pro with Cinama Craft Encoder. The resulting copy looked fine. I use it whenever compacting is below 70 percent. I ripped it to the hard drive with DVD Rebuilder and Any DVD in the background. Then I used DVD Rebuilder.

Last edited by coodbe; 3rd April 2006 at 00:10.
coodbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 00:49   #14  |  Link
philco

i used dvd decrypter and shrink with no problems , the movie turned out very good ...
philco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 02:21   #15  |  Link
LordGothos

A few months ago I had a problem burning newer movies with shrink and decrypter. I completely removed both programs and reinstalled them. I just backed up my copy of King Kong with Shrink and had no problem at all. I am trying Narnia now. Will post outcome of that when done. If all else fails try CloneDVD2 with AnyDVD.
LordGothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 02:25   #16  |  Link
setarip_old

@LordGothos

Hi!

"King Kong" has no special/newer copy protection and (as you've done) can be copied DIRECTLY by DVD Shrink.

As you'll soon discover, "Narnia" contains "RipGuard" copy protection and, therefore, CANNOT be DIRECTLY copied by DVD Shrink.
Old 6th April 2006, 08:36   #17  |  Link
daveandjen

you say that you have used shrink for this? I have tried using it and i get a cyclic error at 60% through the read through. Why?
daveandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 08:38   #18  |  Link
daveandjen

@philco

Those are the programs that i have and neither will work. What did you do?
daveandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 13:25   #19  |  Link
birdie_in_texas

i thought my Shrink backup of king kong looked damn good on my 50" HDTV with upconverting dvd player...looked better than a LOT of movies at 1:1
birdie_in_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 16:02   #20  |  Link
LordGothos

I could not burn with Narnia with Shrink or Decrypter but I had great success with Clone DVD and AnyDVD. Both programs need to be used together. I know my 4 year old will destroy the original so I had to back it up.
LordGothos is offline   Reply With Quote