Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 18th September 2018, 12:06   #16101  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
I think that this time problem might be on your side. Before releasing I've tested new encoding server (1.12.1) on virtual machine (win10) using 16 running server (extreme stress test) many times. I have never experienced this kind of issues. Well to be honest I haven't noticed any problems at all. At this point I can only advise you to check what is happening under the hood. Open Process Hacker and check if ffmpeg.exe or/and x265_x65.exe is still in memory. I suspect that ffmpeg.exe just died and stopped serving frames to an encoder.
They are still in memory. I've had this happen on 3 different machines, of which 2 are Win7 and 1 Win10.
Would it be possible to add in a feature if ffmpeg hasn't responded in say 120s to kill it and restart the server?

Last edited by byteshare; 18th September 2018 at 12:09.
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 12:08   #16102  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HehoChef View Post
Hey guys,
I'm new to the party, acquired a capable Drive and am know ripping, remuxing and partially compressing my BluRays and UHD's.

Thanks to RipBot and distributed encoding, x265 is now feasable for normal people as well.
I'm just baffled by the results im getting:

The resulting Bitrate while having an constant CQ vastly differentiates with the preset.

For example, i reencoded the first 20 Minutes of a 4K remux, @ 3840x1608, keeping 10bit and HDR, assuming that this should be x265 strongest disciplin, with the following results:
-cq 17, slower :20,2MBps
-cq 17, default: 14,5MBps
-cq 17 ultrafast: 4,6MBps

Of course they look very different.
I redid the same thing with Handbrake, yielding similar results.

Shouldn't cq encoding always keep the same visual quality, and the slower speeds allow for better compression, meaning that the tendency should be the other way around. At least thats the way it was with x264.

Maybe someone could give me a rundown of what I'm not understanding, or respectively what I'm dowing wrong.

Thanks a lot
The presents don't just affect compression, they also affect quality because they use different settings to either speed up or slow down things to make better predictions.
Very few things with encoding is linear.
Old 18th September 2018, 12:08   #16103  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HehoChef View Post
Shouldn't cq encoding always keep the same visual quality
As you found out it doesn't work that way. Simple as that.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 12:58   #16104  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
They are still in memory. I've had this happen on 3 different machines, of which 2 are Win7 and 1 Win10.
Would it be possible to add in a feature if ffmpeg hasn't responded in say 120s to kill it and restart the server?
So like I thought. ffmpeg.exe silently crashed or just stopped serving frames to an encoder. Since ffmpeg.exe is just a messenger I think that something wrong is happening on avisynth level (some filter is behaving badly)
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 13:02   #16105  |  Link
burt123

Quote:
Atak,

I understand that you'd want to test, and test before release, which I commend, but because it can be so random, it could take days of testing to have a stall.

byteshare,

Your suggestion, (if possible), would be excellent, it would look after itself
burt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 13:05   #16106  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

It would be better if you could find some pattern. Does it happen on specific file source codec (MPEG-2,MPEG-4 ASP,MPEG-4 AVC,HEVC and so on). The same with avisynth filters.
Old 18th September 2018, 13:10   #16107  |  Link
burt123

Quote:
It would be better if you could find some pattern. Does it happen on specific file source codec (MPEG-2,MPEG-4 ASP,MPEG-4 AVC,HEVC and so on). The same with avisynth filters.
Atak,

98% of my encodes are x264 mkv's, and I don't use a lot of filters (other than default), occasionally, MDeGrain2, and HQD3D.

But when the stall is a Server, wouldn't that be something a little different (just asking).
Old 18th September 2018, 13:58   #16108  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
I don't know what the pattern is but I also don't know what was causing FFMPEG to crash before you changed the EncodingServer to restart on a crash.
Every time it crashes, it will work if I try it again, so I don't know how to reproduce the issue.
I haven't tried it, but I'm sure if I tried the same encode that had a crash it wouldn't have the same issue again.
I have been using the same avisynth filters on a lot of encodes recently and it is rare to have a crash/lockup but a pain when I'm not checking my encodes every few hours, since it could happen at any moment or it could also take days to encounter.

Last edited by byteshare; 18th September 2018 at 16:13. Reason: grammer
Old 18th September 2018, 23:32   #16109  |  Link
Danette

Quote:
Try clicking in the seek bar and then clicking play for the error message
Thanks, that worked for reading the error messages. So, onto the messages.

If I try to load this (from the previous post):

Import("C:\Users\Main\Desktop\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Scripts\QTGMC-3.32.avsi")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins\RgTools.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins\nnedi3.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins\masktools2.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins\mvtools2.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins\yadif.dll")
video=AssumeTFF(video)
video=QTGMC(video,Preset="Very Slow")

The error message simply states that "Import: couldn't open" QTGMC-3.32.avsi. I get the same message if I try to load the same files that are included with RipBot263:

Import("C:\Program Files\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Scripts\QTGMC-3.32.avsi")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\RgTools\RgTools.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\nnedi3\nnedi3.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\masktools\masktools2.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\mvtools\mvtools2.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Yadif\yadif.dll")
video=AssumeTFF(video)

How would you construct the script necessary to accomplish this QTGMC function?
Danette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 16:51   #16110  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danette View Post
Thanks, that worked for reading the error messages. So, onto the messages.

If I try to load this (from the previous post):

Import("C:\Users\Main\Desktop\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Scripts\QTGMC-3.32.avsi")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins\RgTools.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins\nnedi3.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins\mvtools2.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins\yadif.dll")
video=AssumeTFF(video)

The error message simply states that "Import: couldn't open" QTGMC-3.32.avsi. I get the same message if I try to load the same files that are included with RipBot263:

Import("C:\Program Files\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Scripts\QTGMC-3.32.avsi")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\RgTools\RgTools.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\nnedi3\nnedi3.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\masktools\masktools2.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\mvtools\mvtools2.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\RipBot264 v1.23.0.7\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Yadif\yadif.dll")
video=AssumeTFF(video)

How would you construct the script necessary to accomplish this QTGMC function?
This is what it should look like for Medium.
Code:
Loadplugin("C:\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\RgTools\RgTools.dll")
Loadplugin("C:\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\nnedi3\nnedi3.dll")
Loadplugin("C:\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\masktools\masktools2.dll")
Loadplugin("C:\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\mvtools\mvtools2.dll")
LoadCplugin("C:\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Yadif\Yadif.dll")
Import("C:\RipBot\Tools\AviSynth plugins\Scripts\QTGMC.avs")
video=QTGMC(video,Preset="Medium",FPSDivisor=2)
You're missing elements for Very Slow. You also need:
ffms2.dll, RepairSSE2.dll, RemoveGrainSSE2.dll, and FFT3DFilter.dll
You can read more here:
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/QTGMC
Old 19th September 2018, 20:43   #16111  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Just wanted to say Thank you again for making the queue so much much more friendly. Moved several things around that would have taken at least 5 min, maybe more...did it in about 30s. Even moved some things that in the past I would have just left as is because I didn't want to spend the time.
Old 21st September 2018, 19:06   #16112  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
I don't know what the pattern is but I also don't know what was causing FFMPEG to crash before you changed the EncodingServer to restart on a crash.
Every time it crashes, it will work if I try it again, so I don't know how to reproduce the issue.
I haven't tried it, but I'm sure if I tried the same encode that had a crash it wouldn't have the same issue again.
I have been using the same avisynth filters on a lot of encodes recently and it is rare to have a crash/lockup but a pain when I'm not checking my encodes every few hours, since it could happen at any moment or it could also take days to encounter.
Question to native english speakers.

Does this sentence look good to you or would you prefer something else to describe that "stall" effect.

I don't know...
"Encoding hung"
"Encoding froze"
"Encoding stalled"

Would you also want see at what frame it stopped working?
Old 21st September 2018, 20:26   #16113  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Question to native English speakers.
https://i.postimg.cc/fLGHtJ52/Untitled-1.png
Does this sentence look good to you or would you prefer something else to describe that "stall" effect.

I don't know...
"Encoding hung"
"Encoding froze"
"Encoding stalled"

Would you also want see at what frame it stopped working?
I would prefer "EncodingSever.exe has stopped working" (If I'm understanding the issue correctly)
Stalled, froze, hung, and stopped all come across clearly to me.
Glad to see you've found the issue.
Old 22nd September 2018, 00:54   #16114  |  Link
burt123

Quote:
I would prefer "EncodingSever.exe has stopped working" (If I'm understanding the issue correctly)
Stalled, froze, hung, and stopped all come across clearly to me.
Glad to see you've found the issue.
I'm with byteshare..

As for knowing what frame it stopped at, probably doesn't really matter to us user's, as long as it's easy to get it started again, unless that is going to be "automatic"...

And there's a new version of mkvtoolnix v26.

Last edited by burt123; 22nd September 2018 at 11:00. Reason: added more comments
Old 22nd September 2018, 08:39   #16115  |  Link
freakout

Network interfaces

G'day Atak,

First, thanks for RipBot. It's an incredibly useful app that makes my life easier on a daily basis.

I have two issues with distributed encoding that sound simple to resolve on paper. I couldn't find anyone else referencing them in this thread, so hopefully I'm not wasting your time here.

(1) Since Microsoft have removed HomeGroups from the latest version of Win10, I've frequently had a problem where encoding servers will tell me "File path does not exist!" when the client tries to connect to them. It can usually be revolved by a combination of hard restarts or restarting the Peer Networking processes.

The issue appears to be because the servers are using the Windows computer names in the path, rather than their IP addresses. If I try to browse the machines by name in the File Explorer, it fails. If I use the IP address, however, everything is A-OK.

Is there any possibility that we could have an option for the clients and servers to use IP addressing in the filepath rather than hostnames?

(2) Owing to VPN adapters and a mixture of wired and wireless connections, my various boxes have multiple network interfaces. Usually, unless I disable all others except the primary physical LAN interface, the RipBot server will bind to the wrong IP address/interface. Sometimes it will still work, but usually I will get "access violation" errors on the server when the client tries to start it.

Is there any possibility of getting an option to choose which network interface the server binds to?

Thanks very much for your time.
freakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 17:48   #16116  |  Link
HehoChef

Thanks for opening my eyes, and helping me keeping my mental sanity on the x265 presets.

On another note:
Since the latest update i have massive problems when it comes to videos containing eac3 audiotracks.
I'm setting up aac3-lc 5.1 256kbs as a target, and it fails everytime. It works though if i choose any other type of track, lesser quality (standard ac3 640kbps) or better (DTS and TRUEHD) tracks.
What kind of log or verbose would i have to submit so one can look into it?

@freakout: I myself had various Issues with the latest Windows Update, also in an addition with multiple NIC's, some of them virtual. It messed up all my shares and the standard windows firewall. I could'nt even ping the server without disabling it, and the server wouldn't even find its own shares if resolved by ip adress, not to talk about other machines getting into it. It solved for me by using a 1803 ISO to reinstall but with the latests updates, of course keeping all apps, files and setting. The needed reconfiguring was minimal compared to the hours of trouble shooting i invested beforehand. If your problem is a systemwide, as mine was, and not limited to ripbot, I would suggest that.

Last edited by HehoChef; 22nd September 2018 at 17:54.
HehoChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 08:09   #16117  |  Link
burt123

Hi Atak,

I had 3 more "stall's" today, and all of them were on the server, not the main client.

3 different chunks, and very different % of progress 97.1%, 2.3% & 10.8%, also couldn't stop the affected server with the "STOP" button, had to kill with Process Hacker.

These all occurred whilst doing the same encode, and the only filter I was using was MDegrain2.
Old 23rd September 2018, 15:21   #16118  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Just wanted to say Thank you again for making the queue so much much more friendly. Moved several things around that would have taken at least 5 min, maybe more...did it in about 30s. Even moved some things that in the past I would have just left as is because I didn't want to spend the time.

I second the much improved manipulation of the queue. I'm up to 731 in my job queue as I have not been able to get my job queue to zero in quite awhile. Still have about 100 or so jobs in my queue. Only thing I can suggest is adding an arrow that moves an item to the end or beginning to instead move 10 or so at a time, or just being able to hold down the single arrow and have it move quickly instead of having to click the arrow each time to move one.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 18:58   #16119  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt123 View Post
Hi Atak,

I had 3 more "stall's" today, and all of them were on the server, not the main client.

3 different chunks, and very different % of progress 97.1%, 2.3% & 10.8%, also couldn't stop the affected server with the "STOP" button, had to kill with Process Hacker.

These all occurred whilst doing the same encode, and the only filter I was using was MDegrain2.
It might be by chance but I reduced the number of servers from 4 to 2 on one of my computers that was having stalls the most and I haven't had one in two days, which I was getting on almost every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
I second the much improved manipulation of the queue. I'm up to 731 in my job queue as I have not been able to get my job queue to zero in quite awhile. Still have about 100 or so jobs in my queue. Only thing I can suggest is adding an arrow that moves an item to the end or beginning to instead move 10 or so at a time, or just being able to hold down the single arrow and have it move quickly instead of having to click the arrow each time to move one.
The ^^ (double arrow) moves any selection of items to the top or the vv to the bottom. It wasn't clear to me at first that you can select multiple items and move them at once wither with shift clicking or control clicking.
After figuring out all of the improvements I'm not sure the queue needs more work, other than if it wanted to be more noob friendly that allowed clicking and dragging but personally not something I need (Handbreak has this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakout View Post
G'day Atak,

First, thanks for RipBot. It's an incredibly useful app that makes my life easier on a daily basis.

I have two issues with distributed encoding that sound simple to resolve on paper. I couldn't find anyone else referencing them in this thread, so hopefully I'm not wasting your time here.

(1) Since Microsoft have removed HomeGroups from the latest version of Win10, I've frequently had a problem where encoding servers will tell me "File path does not exist!" when the client tries to connect to them. It can usually be revolved by a combination of hard restarts or restarting the Peer Networking processes.

The issue appears to be because the servers are using the Windows computer names in the path, rather than their IP addresses. If I try to browse the machines by name in the File Explorer, it fails. If I use the IP address, however, everything is A-OK.

Is there any possibility that we could have an option for the clients and servers to use IP addressing in the filepath rather than hostnames?

(2) Owing to VPN adapters and a mixture of wired and wireless connections, my various boxes have multiple network interfaces. Usually, unless I disable all others except the primary physical LAN interface, the RipBot server will bind to the wrong IP address/interface. Sometimes it will still work, but usually I will get "access violation" errors on the server when the client tries to start it.

Is there any possibility of getting an option to choose which network interface the server binds to?

Thanks very much for your time.
I use IP addresses and put in the network login info in the settings under distributed encoding and haven't had any issues with Win10 or Win7

Last edited by byteshare; 23rd September 2018 at 19:02.
Old 24th September 2018, 11:31   #16120  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
It might be by chance but I reduced the number of servers from 4 to 2 on one of my computers that was having stalls the most and I haven't had one in two days, which I was getting on almost every day.
For science you could also manually increase priority for EncodingServer.exe to HIGH using Task Manager/Process Hacker.

Who knows maybe 4 running encoders are just choking to death EncodingServer.exe when all have the same priority.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 24th September 2018 at 11:41.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360