Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 2nd April 2013, 19:22   #14621  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

MP3 durations are fine for me, usually within 1 second of the actual duration (of course this can vary from file to file, VBR files may be more problematic), don't have any AAC at hand. Of course this is with the very latest LAV, maybe something was fixed in ffmpeg.
I tested in MPC-HC, i don't usually play audio with LAV, much better players for this around.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 2nd April 2013 at 19:25.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 00:48   #14622  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Doing some more ordered chapter testing on files from my archive, there unfortunately seem to be a massive number older files in-the-wild which use a single "hidden + default + ordered" Edition which is expected be be used. I can only assume one bad example ended up copy/pasted into numerous file as a template, during the time period where manual creation via text editor was the only option available. Supporting this behavior I'd say is something were stuck with at this point.

I've yet to come across any files which are just hidden + ordered which expect to be used, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibly since as nev mentioned, haali will use those as well.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 06:44   #14623  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I'll go with what Haali does, in this case it seems like a good alternative. So in short, try to use any visible editions if available, otherwise use the first edition in the file. If you have an edition which is Hidden+Default, and there is another edition which is visible, the hidden one will be ignored, and the visible one used. This is what Haali does, and since its still considered quite the "reference" implementation when it comes to ordered chapters, it ensures highest compat with existing files.
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:23   #14624  |  Link
cremor

Does the Dynamic Range Compression feature of LAV Audio only work if the DRC data has already been included in the AC3 stream while encoding? Because I converted a DTS stream to AC3 (using eac3to) but didn't notice any difference for silent or loud scenes with DRC enabled or disabled. If my assumption is correct, is there a way to convert a DTS stream to AC3 so that it includes the correct DRC data?

Also, what does the "Level" percentage in the DRC group affect in the LAV Audio configuration?
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:25   #14625  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Yes, it only works for DRC which is specified in the AC3 stream. And the level controls how strong it'll be applied, at 100% the full bitstream DRC is used.
If the bitstream includes DRC is dependent on your encoder, of course.
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:26   #14626  |  Link
paradoxical

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
If my assumption is correct, is there a way to convert a DTS stream to AC3 so that it includes the correct DRC data?
Yes, tell the AC3 encoder what DRC value to write to the bitstream.
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:39   #14627  |  Link
Pomegranate

I'd be really careful using DRC when doing DTS -> AC3. DTS tends to not use the -31 dBFS reference level that Dolby uses.

According to this thread, "in order for the Dynamic Range Compression to work as designed, the Dialogue Normalization parameter MUST be properly set first".
Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:26   #14628  |  Link
dbart

Could be this useful ?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_opensource_uvd&num=1
dbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:32   #14629  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Here is a new test build for ordered chapters, it should hopefully fix a bunch of remaining issues with segment changes (aspect ratio) and general behaviour in some files with hidden editions (discussed in detail above)

32-bit: http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...2-g6907169.zip
64-bit: http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...907169-x64.zip

Any feedback is appreciated, as always!
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:41   #14630  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbart View Post
Could be this useful ?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_opensource_uvd&num=1
Yes it can be useful by exposing "hidden" features of UVD hardware, like MPEG-2, MPEG-4 ASP HW accelerated VLD decoding of UVD2 for example.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:26   #14631  |  Link
Volfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Here is a new test build for ordered chapters, it should hopefully fix a bunch of remaining issues with segment changes (aspect ratio) and general behaviour in some files with hidden editions (discussed in detail above)

32-bit: http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...2-g6907169.zip
64-bit: http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...907169-x64.zip

Any feedback is appreciated, as always!
MPC-BE.1.1.1.0.2418.x86 don't have chapters on any files (few chapters in one file) (navigate -> jump to). Back to LAVFilters-0.55.3-66-gb805ded and everything works.
Volfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:46   #14632  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfield View Post
don't have chapters on any files (few chapters in one file) (navigate -> jump to). Back to LAVFilters-0.55.3-66-gb805ded and everything works.
Indeed, stupid mistake.
New build coming up:

32-bit: http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...3-g3f9ce87.zip
64-bit: http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...f9ce87-x64.zip

The issue should hopefully be resolved for good.
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:53   #14633  |  Link
Volfield

Thanks for quick fix. Back to testing.
Volfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 21:07   #14634  |  Link
Reino

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Is it normal for mp3 and aac durations to be off in MPC-HC? The sing ends but the timeslider still has another minute on it sometimes.
You could try Foobar2000 to fix this.
Right-click on MP3 -> Utilities -> Fix VBR MP3 header...
"Corrects missing VBR headers on specified MP3 files; use this to solve incorrect displayed length."
Old 4th April 2013, 00:00   #14635  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

nevcairiel, would it be possible to add a non-default option to expose hidden chapters, when only hidden chapters exist in a file? I could see cases where the file author prefers to keep ordered chapters hidden, but the viewer actually prefers an ability to access those hidden chapters, rather than have no chapters exposed at all.

Is the Matroska spec supposed to interpreted as Hidden = Permanently Hidden, or just Hidden = Hidden by Default?
Old 4th April 2013, 07:01   #14636  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I'm not a big fan of such an option, it adds complexity for a bit obscure use-case. Its most likely also something you need to toggle on a per file basis, because if a file has normal chapters and ordered chapters, the ordered chapters would be hidden, and you don't really want them to appear, so i question its real-world usefulness a bit.
Old 4th April 2013, 10:40   #14637  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

The use-case would be files only containing hidden ordered chapters, but without any non-hidden regular or ordered chapters at all. I'll agree it's a bit obscure, but not as obscure as wanting to show hidden chapters when you have other non-ordered chapters already visible. You could do something like give the option a checkbox with three states, where the intermediate state will only expose hidden chapters if all chapters are hidden. That should prevent issues of needing to toggle such an option per file.

I did come across a few files which used ordered chapters to insert common intro/outro segments into episodes from that season to save space, but where all chapters were hidden. In this case, LAV & Haali will both create the virtual timeline without any end-user visible chapter points according to the mkv spec. None the less, a bit of an annoyance, since some end-users like to skip past the intro/outro segments via chapters. I personally don't have any issues manually fixing chapter issues like this, if you don't see such a feature as useful enough.
Old 4th April 2013, 11:04   #14638  |  Link
cremor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical View Post
Yes, tell the AC3 encoder what DRC value to write to the bitstream.
Sorry for getting offtopic here, but can you recommend a good AC3 encoder when using DRC? I did my tests with Aften (using the BeHappy GUI) but I read some posts about Aften not beeing very good with DRC.
Testing the encoded stream with LAV Audio showed that with DRC enabled in LAV the loud sequences were indeed not as loud, but sadly it didn't increase the volume of quiet dialogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
I'd be really careful using DRC when doing DTS -> AC3. DTS tends to not use the -31 dBFS reference level that Dolby uses.
But wouldn't a value higher than -31 decrease the volume even more? Even with -31 and DRC enabled I can't understand some quiet dialogs with a volume level that isn't too loud for explosions.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 11:54   #14639  |  Link
Pomegranate

@cremor : you shouln't use -31 dBFS for DTS. You have to measure it with a sound editor, as mentioned in the thread I linked to and use that value. For example, you isolate a scene where there's speech, measure the RMS value and find it to be, for example, -26.4 dBFS. You then use -27 dbFS for the dialnorm when encoding.
Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 14:35   #14640  |  Link
zerowalker

Which is faster, the Lav filters UT Video Codec or the original?

I wonder what to use in Avisynth, Avisource or Directshowsource, thatīs why would like to know
zerowalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter