Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th July 2011, 22:07   #8941  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.70 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* delay times improved for option "pause playback until render queue is full"
* option "pause playback until render queue is full" is now disabled by default
* exclusive mode tweak options regrouped and branded as "not recommended"
* internal MPEG2/h264 decoders are enabled by default now, VC-1 stays disabled
* display mode switcher now "likes" 24.000 Hz mode for 23.976 fps movies better
* improved timestamps of internal libav/ffmpeg MPEG2 decoder
* improved seeking with internal libav/ffmpeg h264 decoder
* fixed: moving from one monitor to another sometimes caused graph to pause
* fixed: display mode changer caused internal decoders to stop working
* fixed: gamma processing with RGB input produced a black screen
* fixed: h264 mediatype parsing corrupted RAM, eventually resulting in a crash
* fixed: color processing accurateness problems introduced in v0.68
* fixed: exclusive mode seekbar didn't work during DVD playback
* fixed: tracks with a "|" in the name confused the tray icon context menu
* fixed: at playback start, and after unpausing there was sometimes judder
* fixed: OSD sometimes flickered at playback start, and after unpausing
This is mainly a bugfix release, with some minor improvements. I hope that the biggest bugs are all fixed now. If not, let me know. FWIW, I might have to slow down madVR development a bit in the next couple of weeks. So don't expect any major improvements in the next 1-3 months.

Last edited by madshi; 25th July 2011 at 22:25.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 22:18   #8942  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

So is this all of them?

Could you add keyboard shortcuts for enabling/disabling 3DLUT, enabling/disabling Gamma Correction and enabling/disabling Automatic Fullscreen Exclusive mode?

Current
Enable OSD - Ctrl+J
Reset OSD Statistics - Ctrl+R
Gamma Curve type - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C
Increase Gamma - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+G
Decrease Gamma - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F
Source Primaries - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+P
Decoding Matrix - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M
Input Video Levels - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I
Output Display Levels Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Y

Depreciated
Decoding Matrix (Color Format) - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C

Last edited by cyberbeing; 25th July 2011 at 22:50.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 22:23   #8943  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

"Ctrl+Y" is a typo in the changelog, should read "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Y", and that key combination is still current for changing the output/display levels. You can enable gamma correction by pressing one of the gamma related keyboard shortcuts twice. Why would you need to switch fullscreen exclusive mode on/off via a keyboard shortcut? A keyboard shortcut for 3dlut is a bit difficult because I'd practically have to "disable all calibration controls" to disable the 3dlut. Is that really the desired effect?

Edit: Ctrl+R resets the statistics in the OSD.

Last edited by madshi; 25th July 2011 at 22:26.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:35   #8944  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Fixed: It looks like 0.70 fixed the frozen black screen w/ refresh rate changer and the internal decoders bug.

I guess you could make it enable/disable the Calibration page. What I want is the ability to switch on-the-fly between 'Calibrate this dispay by using...' and 'Disable Calibration Controls for this Display'.

As for the Fullscreen exclusive toggle, why not? It would be useful for testing playback differences between Windowed & Fullscreen, as well as being one less thing you need to enter the settings dialog for if you picked the wrong mode (like on my 7800GTX where it doesn't work well). If you can override the default MPC-HC Fullscreen Exclusive shortcut of CTRL+F (especially since it conflicts with madVR settings), that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You can enable gamma correction by pressing one of the gamma related keyboard shortcuts twice.
But how do you disable it once enabled?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 25th July 2011 at 22:55.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:48   #8945  |  Link
JarrettH

Seekbar works in fullscreen with DVDs now

In ctrl+J when it shows "Movie 29.970 (says source filter)" is that the current fps? I was wondering if IVTC was getting through, it usually shows 23.97 if so in EVR-CP

Thanks for somehow fixing that little bug
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 23:05   #8946  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
In ctrl+J when it shows "Movie 29.970 (says source filter)" is that the current fps?
What madVR shows is usually the framerate reported by the splitter. It will always be wrong if something is changing the framerate during decoding or via Reclock.

In MPC-HC if you enable View->Statistics it will eventually (pausing the video helps bump it to the correct number quicker when unpaused) show the current fps.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 25th July 2011 at 23:11.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:36   #8947  |  Link
Budtz

Optimal settings for flushing the gpu

Is there an optimal setting for the gpu flush settings. I have a gtx 570 card, and a corei5 2500k processor and running windows 7 and waching mainly HD-material. What do the settings do excactly?

Kind regards
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 00:13   #8948  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
What madVR shows is usually the framerate reported by the splitter. It will always be wrong if something is changing the framerate during decoding or via Reclock.

In MPC-HC if you enable View->Statistics it will eventually (pausing the video helps bump it to the correct number quicker when unpaused) show the current fps.
Great thanks, answers it
Old 26th July 2011, 01:04   #8949  |  Link
TheElix

madshi, thanks for the new version and for the internal decoders. Is it possible to use them in conjunction with ffdshow AviSynth? (let internal madVR decoders decode)
And how do I make sure madVR internal decoder connects and not player's internal or externals?

Last edited by TheElix; 26th July 2011 at 01:10.
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 01:42   #8950  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElix View Post
madshi, thanks for the new version and for the internal decoders. Is it possible to use them in conjunction with ffdshow AviSynth? (let internal madVR decoders decode)
Not now. Only madshi knows if it ever will be.

Quote:
And how do I make sure madVR internal decoder connects and not player's internal or externals?
Disable (or block) all other decoders. You can verify madVR's internal decoders are working by looking at the filters. You should not see any video decoders.
AMD 6870

Last edited by robpdotcom; 26th July 2011 at 01:53.
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 01:51   #8951  |  Link
noee

You can also tell that the madVR internal decoder is being used by checking the ctrl+J stats.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 02:24   #8952  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by budtz View Post
is there an optimal setting for the gpu flush settings?
What do the settings do exactly?
There is no one-size-fits-all optimal flush setting. If you are having issues with stuttering panning scenes, tearing, or delayed/dropped frames, you can try playing with the flush settings. Otherwise just leave it as the default.

Their purpose is for fine-tuning madVR for your GPU and computer. Many factors like OS, Drivers, Aero, Subtitles, CPU, CPU load, and DPC latency can influence both your GPU and madVR. Flushing or not flushing after certain steps can at times change how your GPU behaves. Your goal when tweaking should be finding the minimal flush settings which show an improvement but don't cause other issues.

Don't Flush = Don't Flush - No CPU Load
Flush = Make a no-guarantee attempt to flush - Usually No CPU Load
Flush & Wait (Sleep) = Flush no later than 1ms after requested - Low to Moderate CPU Load
Flush & Wait (Loop) = Flush immediately when requested - Low to High CPU load

Flush & Wait (Loop) is somewhat dangerous to use, unless you never experience ANY slowdowns, high CPU load, or things other than madVR fighting for CPU/GPU time. Keep your eye out for increases in CPU load or dropped/delayed frames when using a Flush & Wait setting.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 26th July 2011 at 02:28.
Old 26th July 2011, 02:33   #8953  |  Link
racerxnet

Build # 68 and 70 will not play DVD's. Fault is Nvidia.ax from the fault nag. Went back to an earlier version and all is well. Can you make sure the Nvidia decoders are able to be used as before. I tried with the internal MadVr decoder checked and it still would not play with MPC-HC and the Nvidia decoders enabled/disabled.

Thanks,

MAK
racerxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 02:47   #8954  |  Link
JarrettH

If we are talking nvidia purevideo software, that was made for older hardware and XP
Old 26th July 2011, 03:04   #8955  |  Link
racerxnet

Quote:
If we are talking nvidia purevideo software, that was made for older hardware and XP
I have new hardware with old software, so you are correct. I am running XP still.
racerxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 03:31   #8956  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.70 released

* fixed: at playback start, and after unpausing there was sometimes judder
This has definitely improved Thanks so much, madshi. Nice to know that it just wasn't me that was experiencing this...

Edit: Dang! I must have borked something up because it's doing it again. I uninstalled madVR, cleaned it out from registry, re-registered the ax file, but it's still doing it. Tested in Zoom Player and PotPlayer. Juttering upon playback start. I wonder why it was working at first.

Last edited by andybkma; 26th July 2011 at 04:05.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 04:29   #8957  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxnet View Post
Build # 68 and 70 will not play DVD's. Fault is Nvidia.ax from the fault nag. Went back to an earlier version and all is well. Can you make sure the Nvidia decoders are able to be used as before.
madshi, I just checked and there does appear to be a regression after madVR 0.66 with encrypted DVDs and the NVIDIA PureVideo Software decoder on Windows XP. madVR 0.67 has corruption. madVR 0.68-0.70 all crash the decoder. Did you accidentally remove the workaround you had in place for NVIDIA PureVideo's tendency to lie about what it's outputting?

Logs for 0.66/0.67/0.70: http://www.mediafire.com/?f150f9dymksxch0
Old 26th July 2011, 04:43   #8958  |  Link
agustin9

I'm having a problem:

Using the internal h264 decoder, while in exclusive mode, when i unpause a video it takes some time to resume.
It does not in windowed mode or using a external decoder
agustin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 05:07   #8959  |  Link
Hypernova

madshi, I may missed it but, is it your intention that internal decoder won't decode h264 in avi? I think this leads to some avi files crash MPC-HC every time I seeked.
Old 26th July 2011, 07:56   #8960  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
madshi, thanks for the new version and for the internal decoders. Is it possible to use them in conjunction with ffdshow AviSynth?
Unfortunately no, unless I add AviSynth support myself, which I'm not planning right now.

Quote:
There are 2 ways:

(1) Look which filters are in your graph. If there's a video decoder filter, madVR is not doing the decoding.

(2) Look at the madVR OSD (Ctrl + J):

madVR decoding: "libav, h264, 8bit, 4:2:0"
external decoder: "h264, 8bit, 4:2:0 -> NV12, 8bit, 4:2:0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxnet View Post
Build # 68 and 70 will not play DVD's. Fault is Nvidia.ax from the fault nag. Went back to an earlier version and all is well. Can you make sure the Nvidia decoders are able to be used as before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
I just checked and there does appear to be a regression after madVR 0.66 with encrypted DVDs and the NVIDIA PureVideo Software decoder on Windows XP. madVR 0.67 has corruption. madVR 0.68-0.70 all crash the decoder.
Will check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
This has definitely improved Thanks so much, madshi. Nice to know that it just wasn't me that was experiencing this...

Edit: Dang! I must have borked something up because it's doing it again. I uninstalled madVR, cleaned it out from registry, re-registered the ax file, but it's still doing it. Tested in Zoom Player and PotPlayer. Juttering upon playback start. I wonder why it was working at first.
Make sure you reactivate the "delay playback" option because it's disabled by default in v0.70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustin9 View Post
Using the internal h264 decoder, while in exclusive mode, when i unpause a video it takes some time to resume.
It does not in windowed mode or using a external decoder
This doesn't seem to happen on my PC. Can anybody else reproduce this? A log might help. Try to keep it short, by doing this:

Start the video, go exclusive mode, pause, wait 2-3 seconds, unpause, wait until playback is fluid again, close the media player. Don't do anything else. Every action you take makes the log longer. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
madshi, I may missed it but, is it your intention that internal decoder won't decode h264 in avi? I think this leads to some avi files crash MPC-HC every time I seeked.
Didn't check that. Which FourCC does the AVI splitter output? Does madVR even try to decode it (and fail)? Or does an external decoder take over?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling