Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 15th December 2005, 15:41   #361  |  Link
Pookie

Just an observation - Didée's Limited Sharpen thread has been viewed almost 60,000 times!

Last edited by Pookie; 15th December 2005 at 15:44.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 17:05   #362  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Actually, I'm an idiot, that's what we have the avisynth wiki for.

http://www.avisynth.org/LimitedSharpen

[Edit]Okay, it got moved. I'm leaving right now, but I can update with the new beta, masktools2, and clouded's faster one later....

Last edited by foxyshadis; 18th December 2005 at 08:44.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 18:38   #363  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg262
I added one more function, for something I have seen you use once or twice :

LimitedSupport, 3 December 05

Delta(a, b) = mt_lutxy(a, b, "x y - 128 +") = mt_lutxy(a, b, "x y 128 - -")
Health warning: Didée, looking at some of the functions you have posted more recently, I saw that you have at times used u=2, v=2 or u=3, v=3 ... I will add support for such things at a later date, but the current functions behave exactly like the listed luts (i.e. default u=1, v=1 a.k.a. trash chroma).

In any case, while I think these are safe, it is probably sensible to stick to tried and tested tools like mt_lutxy (as I think you are doing); there are plenty of people capable of following in your wake and speeding things up -- and even more of us capable of testing such things. [I.e. Didée is a finite resource .]

I am never completely certain about the Wiki... it doesn't have the community-friendly main page/discussion split of e.g. Wikipedia, and I think that maybe means people are reluctant to make changes. (Or at least, I am! Plus it just doesn't look as nice as Wikipedia... silly, but I think it may make a difference .) But, to get back on topic, if you wanted it, Didée, it seems like a sensible step would be for us to gather links to all your scripts, either in a forum thread or on the Wiki?

Last edited by mg262; 16th December 2005 at 18:42.
mg262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 22:52   #364  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
I should ask Wilbert how to move the page to LimitedSharpen, I'm still not sure exactly how this wiki does it. I'm leaving right now, but I can update with the new beta, masktools2, and clouded's faster one later....
I don't know the proper way. I just copied the script to a new page (empty ones will dissappear after 30 days) But please do update it!

Quote:
I am never completely certain about the Wiki... it doesn't have the community-friendly main page/discussion split of e.g. Wikipedia
Richard said that once we will move to a Wikipedia. Perhaps a nice wish for next year
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 04:10   #365  |  Link
Isochroma

Genius

Didée, thank you so much for your work! You are certainly a genius of the higher orders... your tool is helping me make my videos so much superior!

I cannot believe such a level of sharpening can be achieved without significant ring or halo... this has got to be a really spectacular achievement!

I mean, what can I possibly say? I've got the damn thing cranked to the max and I still can't make it ring or halo. It is slow as hell which is perfect, you could sell this script to some big software company...

Oh yes, this stuff is more than sweet, it is truly evil! My day is now made, my rear-end is saved, etc.

Your tool is so good that I'm considering paying you, if I get paid well for my computer work. Do you have a PayPal account?

Last edited by Isochroma; 18th December 2005 at 04:24.
Isochroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 08:58   #366  |  Link
aberforthsgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg262
I also released a modified version of the script that worked with this version; NB the function is called LimitedSharpenFaster, mainly so that if there are problems you know to poke me not Didée. You also need the 1.0 pre-release of RemoveGrain.
Say - could someone give me some info about how to use this version of the script? I've loaded it into the plugins directory and I'm accessing it now instead of the standard LimitedSharpen. I've also got one of the new versions of mask tools downloaded and copied into the same directory - but somehow, I have the feeling that I'm not doing it right. Something tells me I ought to have renamed stuff and done somethingto make sure I'm actually accessing mg262's script.

Any tips?

Peace,

Mike
aberforthsgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 16:51   #367  |  Link
Socio

You also need mg262's LimitedSupport_03Dec05.dll in your plug-ins folder.

You do not have to rename anything just use Limitedsharpen calls like normal.
Socio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 23:22   #368  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

As Socio says, doesn't need anything clever doing, just the files in the plug-ins directory. Do remember to call LimitedSharpenFaster, though (I renamed the script to reduce version confusion). If you call this and it appears to work, then it really is working... it should run a fair bit faster than LimitedSharpen.

Sorry about all the confusion ... things slowly metamorphosed from my original intention of providing filterlets for Didée (promised 4 months ago when there was just one version* ) to creating a full-fledged version. With the benefit of hindsight, I would have started a separate thread. In any case, I've built all the things that IMO stand a chance of being reusable, and I'm not planning to confuse matters further...

I have a bad habit of taking on far too much stuff and having a huge backlog. Deep apologies to everyone who has ever been affected by this, including several readers of this thread...
Old 18th December 2005, 23:57   #369  |  Link
aberforthsgoat

Hey mg - don't you dare start apologizing! I stand in awe of what you guys are doing in your spare time. If I'm not paying for there's no way I'm going to complain! Also, I realized that some problems I'm having are actually being caused by an overheated CPU - it seems that I need to turn my fans a little over the silent level to run all this stuff for the duration of a DVD - the thing was hitting 75C and going into automatic slowdown - but the CPU *usage* is actually in the %60s. And the picture is fabulous.

Thanks for the great work!

Mike
aberforthsgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 09:12   #370  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

I'm having trouble keeping up with this extra long thread, so let me interject for a second and ask the following questions:

1. Where can one find the latest and greatest version of LimitedSharpen? The Avisynth Wiki page or the first page of this thread?

2. Could the page that lists the latest script also list the latest plugin requirements too?

I know, I know, I could read the entire thread, but I'd like to be able to download (or copy+paste) the latest updates from a single location when I come out of hibernation every few months.
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 11:07   #371  |  Link
Audionut

No need to read the whole thread.

The last 6 or so pages will be fine.
I always belive that it's best to read the last few pages atleast, anyway for the information value.
Old 20th December 2005, 11:33   #372  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

My apologies for flaking earlier, but I updated the wiki. (The first page actually has the same old version as the wiki.) The beta is the newer one, with the other two being sped-up variations. (Latest masktools fixes a bug with Smode=3 in them.) If they change significantly in the future I'll update them again.

I also took the liberty of reformatting them slightly, to wrap a couple of extra long lines.
Old 20th December 2005, 13:04   #373  |  Link
FredThompson

Can you link the helper DLL to that wiki entry?
Old 21st December 2005, 01:53   #374  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Can you make sure that the Wiki page lists all the plugin requirements for each version? I know all 3 scripts use some form of MaskTools, but that's not really made apparent except for the MT2 version which specifically uses MaskTools v2.
Consider whether someone looking at that page for the first time would know what to download and install.
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 02:08   #375  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Actually, I don't believe there are any special requirements other than masktools, removegrain (which is linked), and warpsharp for the rarely used Smode=1; plus masktools2/limitedsupport (which are already linked in their respective versions). I'll add a link to original masktools and warpsharp.

I was next going to add in Didée's readme, maybe just a link to the first post of this thread would be better (except it doesn't explain smode=4 and lmode=3...).
Old 21st December 2005, 04:59   #376  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

could i possibly request a feature?

this would require some hacking the script, but might be useful in some cases (i can think of 2):

allow horizontal-only, or vertical-only modes.

horizontal-only could be useful for ex-analog sources that are vertically sharp but horizontally soft (i get a lot of these).

vertical only could be useful for NTSC-PAL conversions to restore the vertical sharpness lost in the resizing (i get a lot of these too - the bulk of my workload).

it could also be useful for anamorphic sources which have different characteristics in both directions (though i suppose the internal resizing can handle that).

btw, i'm checking out all the new developments in this package, and i'm liking it a lot

right now i'm having a go at hacking the script myself - i'll post it if i make something useful without breaking what's there already.
Old 21st December 2005, 17:48   #377  |  Link
Didée

Quickly, before going home ...

Give a try on this version of LimitedSharpen, Mug Funky. Think I didn't break anything, but perhaps I forgot something [edit: fixed a variable's name]

New:

"strengthV" parameter, used only when Smode=2. Enables asymetric sharpening, internally it's just "sharpen( strength/100, strengthV/100 ).

Smode=0: "custom" unsharp masking (bicubic resizing approximation). Radii can be given through "radius" (--> x-radius) and "radiusV" (--> y-radius).

It's really a hack, in that the script looks sooo ugly now but it should work. After cleaning, this probably is very close to a "final" of LimitedSharpen. Only possible extention is scaling for the edgemask, and (surely) building the edgemask through Prewitt/LimitedSupport.
Other improvements will go ... into another function.

Some suggestions how to make this x/y stuff more consistent, regarding the parameters?

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)

Last edited by Didée; 23rd December 2005 at 10:29.
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 18:07   #378  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

Mug Funky: your PM-Box is full.

Don't PM me for technical support, please.
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 03:08   #379  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Since you say that SMode=4+LMode=3 can enhance a bit too much, I think that Soothe should be a builtin function
Old 22nd December 2005, 03:15   #380  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

@ scharfi: fixed

@ Didée: i'll give that a try soon (i did a similar hack last night, but only the blur in smode=2 thing). would the asymmetric expand/inpands in masktools 2 help with this?