Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 16th July 2004, 04:48   #21  |  Link
DoC hEx
2 VB R !2 VB Dat is D Q?

To be honest I find the XviD gives at least the same if not better results then Divx5.11. I see little reason to go to software that for a while stopped Virtual Dub run in Debug mode and the so-called “free” version was castrated i.e. not worth using.

Divx has lost a lot of ground to XviD, hence the no adware!!! If they included adware no one would even download it. I’m going to download just for tests, but it would want to have some pretty incredible quality to make me stop using an Open Source Project for some company that wants me to by there version.
DoC hEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 05:53   #22  |  Link
DigitAl56K

This isn't why we removed Adware Adware allowed us to give DivX Pro to millions of people all around the world for free, some of whom could not afford to buy it, some who just found that adware was an acceptable option for them. However, there have always been a growing volume of requests that we remove adware from our bundles. Today we are responding to everyone who has ever made such a request to us - DivX 5.2 is 100% adware-free.

Please, if you are going to evaluate DivX 5.2, judge it on its own merits, recognize the leap forward we are making in removing adware from this release, and try not to pass judgement based on a small technical problem we had some time in the past.

As much as is possible, we are striving to give you DivX Pro for free, just as we have always done. With our 5.2 release we are taking a huge step towards acheiving that with a massive 6 month trial of Divx Pro. In the future, things may get even better for you guys But we have to take one big step at a time, rather than a giant leap that could see us falling flat on our ass, so to speak It might help appease your concerns if I told you that we plan to release more frequently than once every 6 months

Having said all that, I'm very interested to hear what you think of DivX 5.2, and how your test results turn out

Last edited by DigitAl56K; 16th July 2004 at 05:56.
DigitAl56K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 06:40   #23  |  Link
RedDwarf69

Since no one complains, I should think DivX sended a special gift only for me too?
When installing DivX Free or Pro, VirtualDub(Mod) starts using 100% CPU when I go to compress window (Ctrl-P).
Just tested: same think happens with graphedit when going to "Video Compressors"
Is a spanish Windows XP, nothing more "special".

By the moment I just installed manually "divxdec.ax" to be able to decode those 2 b-frames that will come...the decoder seems to work with only this file.
RedDwarf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 06:45   #24  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Thanks RedDwarf69! We're already looking into that problem If your application pauses when it tries to open the DivX Codec, wait a few seconds and it should come back.

As for serial numbers, we'll maybe have another look at that tomorrow
Old 16th July 2004, 07:05   #25  |  Link
RedDwarf69

Ok, 40 secons for the codec list, 5 second to be able to click on configure and another 40 seconds for the codec properties. But after this everything works fine.
You guys are a lot more patient than me 20 seconds and CTRL+ALT+SUPR
RedDwarf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 07:24   #26  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@DigitAl56K: what happens after the 6 months run out?

/me wonders how long it takes until I get the first "please make a new codec comparison with divx5.2 and xvid 1.0.1". I guess I should start taking bets now
Old 16th July 2004, 07:33   #27  |  Link
iwod

Quote:
Originally posted by Doom9

/me wonders how long it takes until I get the first "please make a new codec comparison with divx5.2 and xvid 1.0.1". I guess I should start taking bets now
OK. I bet 10 dollars the anwser is after you read this sentence......

"please make a new codec comparison with divx5.2 and xvid 1.0.1"
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 07:35   #28  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Quote:
Originally posted by Doom9

We should have a new release out by then But once you reach the end of the trial, the codec simply reverts to DivX (non-Pro version).
Old 16th July 2004, 07:41   #29  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Not to derail the current line of discussion, but I thought it worth mentioning that Dr DivX 1.0.5 is also receiving a warm welcome in our Dr DivX forum.

I know we have a lot of GK/AutoGK users here, but if you haven't tried Dr DivX in some time, or if you're new to DivX, you might like to check it out
Old 16th July 2004, 07:41   #30  |  Link
Spotpuff

Divx 5.2 takes over xvid/ffdshow

How nice of DivX 5.2 to start decoding all my xvid videos and overriding my FFDSHOW config

Someone help? I already tried reinstalling FFDSHOW and that didn't work... wtf.

*EDIT* Fixed. Uncheck "decode generic MPEG 4" option. How nice of the codec to have that checked by default. I guess that's one way to make people's XVID encoded videos not work.

Last edited by Spotpuff; 16th July 2004 at 07:45.
Spotpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 07:45   #31  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Turn off "Support Generic MPEG4" in the DivX Decoder configuration tool (accessable via the Start menu or via your media player during playback).

Overriding takes place when this feature is enabled to help out all the newer DivX/XVID users out there who install a dozen codec packs bundling old versions of various decoders that exhibit very bad playback problems - unfortunately these older decoders override our DivX decoder by default. Based on the volume of support calls we get on associated symptoms, we think it will solve a lot of problems for a very large number of users. I'm sure you see a lot of posts on this here at Doom9.org also. We believe that those who actually install XVID or FFDShow intentionally will be able to find our decoder option and turn it off. We've also worked hard to provide good compatibility between the DivX decoder and generic MPEG4 video streams.

Maybe we could have our installers offer the option of switching this at install time.

Last edited by DigitAl56K; 16th July 2004 at 07:58.
Old 16th July 2004, 08:18   #32  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
BANNERS: This software will download banners from our servers and display them within the GUI of the software. A message will be sent from the software to our servers indicating that an ad has been served. There will be no personal identification sent with this message.
Quote:
DigitAl56K:
The reason you probably see the codec trying to "phone home" even when check for updates is turned off, is that we wanted the ability to switch out the artwork at the top of the encoder GUI from time to time.
On wich marketing School you graduated DigitAl56K ?

Banner Ads == artwork ???

i only say "BannerAdXML"

couldn't you guys be more honourable and tell the people (maybe your customers) the truth instead of trying to carry them behind the light ?

Edit: Ohhps could a mod please move this into -DivX Pro 5.2, DivX 5.2, Dr DivX 1.0.5, and DivX Player 2.5.4 released!- thx

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 16th July 2004 at 09:04.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 08:21   #33  |  Link
Spotpuff

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitAl56K
Turn off "Support Generic MPEG4" in the DivX Decoder configuration tool (accessable via the Start menu or via your media player during playback).

Overriding takes place when this feature is enabled to help out all the newer DivX/XVID users out there who install a dozen codec packs bundling old versions of various decoders that exhibit very bad playback problems - unfortunately these older decoders override our DivX decoder by default. Based on the volume of support calls we get on associated symptoms, we think it will solve a lot of problems for a very large number of users. I'm sure you see a lot of posts on this here at Doom9.org also. We believe that those who actually install XVID or FFDShow intentionally will be able to find our decoder option and turn it off. We've also worked hard to provide good compatibility between the DivX decoder and generic MPEG4 video streams.

Maybe we could have our installers offer the option of switching this at install time.
I guess that's a situation I never considered, given that I never installed any codec packs ever. Things like Nimo's pack or whatever could really mess things up from what I hear.

Still though, I'm not sure exactly why DivX takes over when XviD has the same options checked... I mean, both of them can't possibly be set to decode all mpeg4.

At any rate, I guess you're probably right about the whole "99% of end users..." comment.
Spotpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 09:23   #34  |  Link
Millenod

@DigitAl56K,

Hi,

I've downloaded Divx Pro Free, and Dr DivX.
These are some remarks :

I - Web Site
- I install Divx Pro Free (french) without problem
- French DR-Divx download doesn't work : the site send me an english version of the software.

II - Installers
When I install Dr-Divx, this one doesn't detect that DivxPro is already installed, and install it's own codec. It's disturbing to have links in english and in french.
I look at your files, and see you're using language dll (DrDivXRes1033.dll) (77Kb)
Why don't add 2-3 others languages in the package, or connect to your site to download new language file pack?

When I've installed Dr-Divx, this one ask by default, to install programs in "c:\Program Files\Divx".
Personally, I install previous files in "D:\Programmes\Divx".
When I re-install software, it will be nice, if the installer could remember my previous divx folder. To make an update of files, it could be better

III - Dr Divx
Today I decide to try Dr DivX, because I had a problem encoding a movie using GordianKnot 0.32
The first pass encoding was OK, but during the second pass, I obtain a message : invalid image size :S
It's the first time I obtain this one, and I'm using GordianKnot for more than 3years...

The source video was an mpeg file make from a pva file using pvastrumento (no errors during converting process)
This was my script :
LoadPlugin("D:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\dgdecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("D:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\UnDot.dll")
LoadPlugin("D:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\SimpleResize.dll")
mpeg2source("D:\####.d2v")
crop(2,126,716,324)
SimpleResize(716,296)
Undot()

I don't know where was the bug :S

These are some wished I think that could be usefull :
- minimize Dr-DivX in the sistray
- disable the real time bitrate viewer
- Support for PVA files.
More and more users have a DVB card. (for my part a Nexus-S (SkyStar 1)) and this card record by default using PVA format.
It's right that I'm currently use, PVA Cut to cut unwanted part of a movie, then PVA Strumento to convert the file into an mpeg one.
It will be great if DR-DivX could do the same
- adding the ability to cut movie or select only many parts of a movie to encode to a new one (example : remove trailers in the middle of the movie)

- Encoding step : why not ask directly to users to choose their bitrate (I'm encoding satellite movies using a 1600Kbps).
Dr DivX ask only the size, or in the advanced codec configuration allow me to choose the chosen bitrate.

'Bug' in the Preview windows, to remove black bands :
- There is a little ennoyous "bug" in the remove black bands option :
I've on my movie, 2 vertical bands of 1px.
If I remove the left band, the left preview border display a vertical gray bar (i'm seeing in fact the left border color, which seem to have a width of 1px).
It's right this is not a bug, and this is a very detail of my part.

That's all for suggestions, wishes and "bug" list

IV - Personal Comments
Great codec, with better performance in standard mode than DivX 5.1 : I'm temporary making tests on a P4b@2.2Ghz using 1Gb DDR on Win 2003 Enterprise Server fr, and DrDivX encodes at almost 25fps (I'm making multitask, and the system works fine).
I'll make others tests on a P4@3.06Ghz with 1Gb DDR using XP Pro SP2 b2162 and on a P4@3.06Ghz with 512 Mb RDRam using MCE 2005
Divx will be test on standards 4/3&16/9 Pal TVs, using these computers (don't have standalone player)

Well, the opportunity to obtain DivX Pro for 20$, makes the codec available for all, and using for free without ads for 6 months is great.
Very nice politic. I'd like to see more company using the same point of view as you.

If you have comments or want some testers, don't hesitate to contact me.

En tout cas, ce codec est une excellent réussite.
Merci beaucoup et encore bravo

Last edited by Millenod; 16th July 2004 at 09:36.
Millenod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 10:34   #35  |  Link
obieobieobie

I'm having a problem with DivX Pro 5.2 and Zoomplayer 3.20

After playing an AVI with video content being decoded by DivX Pro 5.2 and then closing Zoomplayer 3.20 by clicking the X, the window does not disappear from the desktop and zoomplayer remains in the taskbar. I have to right-click on the program in the taskbar, choose close and then force the program to end when Windows asks me to close an unresponsive program.

I tried installing Zoomplayer 4.00 final, but it did not help. Only downgrading to DivX Pro 5.1.1 helped.

I am using WinXP SP2 RC2 (I don't have an AMD64 or a Prescott so no Data Execution Protection).

Last edited by obieobieobie; 16th July 2004 at 10:51.
obieobieobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 10:51   #36  |  Link
Lord_KiRon

Same problem as RedDwarf69 exacly ! - VDubMod freezes for almost a minute until you can do something .
Also the damn thing constantly tries to go to different locations on the net , good thing I used Kerio fwall to stop it once and for all .

Also 2 questions :

1. Where I can turn 3 point GMC on ?
[Edit:] disregard this one , DivX only DECODES 3-point GMC .

2. Why it's 2 DivX codecs now installed on my system - one with "divx" FOURCC and another with "yv12" FOURCC ?

Last edited by Lord_KiRon; 16th July 2004 at 11:18.
Lord_KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 10:52   #37  |  Link
obieobieobie

Lord_KiRon: As far as I know, there is no 3-point GMC encoding in DivX Pro 5.2.

Edit: Whistle, whistle.

Last edited by obieobieobie; 16th July 2004 at 11:10.
obieobieobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 10:59   #38  |  Link
Lord_KiRon

Quote:
Originally posted by obieobieobie
Lord_KiRon: As far as I know, there is no 3-point GMC in DivX Pro 5.2.
Look Here : http://www.divx.com/divx/divxpro/versions/

You right it's 3 point GMC support in DECODER , my mistake .
Lord_KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 11:12   #39  |  Link
LostMP4
Lost in a Byte

Any 64 bit optimization?
LostMP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 12:01   #40  |  Link
communist

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitAl56K
Yep that would be the best. XviD (Koepi's latest builds) offers this at installation too.
Just give some options like :
- Decode MPEG4 with DivX5.x decoder
- I have an MPEG4 decoder installed - dont register MPEG4 content with DivX5.2 decoder

Give a small warning for n00bs who dont know what to click that its better to take first option
communist is offline   Reply With Quote