Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 5th December 2006, 20:57   #461  |  Link
Video Dude

Is there anyway to have a corresponding chapter entry automatically removed from the Chapter (PTT) Table when you remove a cell? I usually like to clean up the dvd by removing the cells after blanking with VobBlanker.

For example:

I have a dvd with:
VTST 6, 1
VTST 6, 2
VTST 6, 60.

Each one has 20 cells and 20 chapters.

It's easy to delete the range of cells 60 times. But it is time consuming (and painful) to press the chapter delete button 1,140 times (19 x 60).

For so many cells, I usually don't bother to remove them. But I was wondering if there is anyway to automatically edit the chapter table.
Video Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 23:28   #462  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

No, sorry. The chapter table is a totally different table than the cell table, and therefore it is not easy to guess what to do without user intervention.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 23:53   #463  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacoz View Post
r0lZ, encountered a problem in v8.0 beta1. Working on Ultraviolet R4 ripped using vanilla DVD-Decrypter.
  1. Opened it in PgcEdit, (with option to Automatically launch "Fix number of streams in VMGM/VTSI_MAT" checked).
  2. No message about having to fix streams is displayed.
  3. If I right click on any of a number of the VTSM's and select "Domain Stream Attributes" a message box "Verify number of streams (in current domain)" is displayed and I am prompted to "fix the subpic streams in VTSI_MAT to 0?"
  4. I get similar if I run "DVD --> Fix number of streams in VMGM/VTSI_MAT" (but obviously for all the whole DVD not just the one VTS).
  5. Now the real interesting bit is that if I answer "Yes" to the prompt, then all of the PGC's in the VTST containing that menu are changed from "PAL (720x576) MPEG-2 (VBR)" to "NTSC (720x480) MPEG-1 (VBR)" in Domain Stream Attributes.
  6. This change is more than a simple display issue as saving the DVD then opening it in VobBlanker, confirms the NTSC attributes - and consequently causes VB to crash if you try to select/preview them.
  7. I rolled back to 7.4 and found that points 1 to 4 occurs in it also, but the change of stream attributes in point 5 does not occur.
Let me know if you need anything more from me in the way of log/data dumps from PgcEdit etc.
I forgot to explain that points 1-4 are normal. When I have added the function to check the domain streams attributes, someone asked to add an option to launch it automatically at startup. But since the DVD must be saved and reloaded after some operations, it was a pain. Therefore, the check is made only the first time you load the DVD. If you reload it (using the Reopen DVD function or any function that needs to reload it), the check is not made again. If you want to force it, call it explicitly, or use the Open DVD menu, and accept the default folder.

The bug you reported in points 5-7 is fixed in v8.0 beta 2. (I was using the same method to clear the unused streams for the title and the menu domains, but as they are only one subpic and one audio streams in the menu domain, the following bytes were overwritten! ) Thanks for your important bug report!

Last edited by r0lZ; 5th December 2006 at 23:58.
Old 6th December 2006, 00:31   #464  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
No, sorry. The chapter table is a totally different table than the cell table, and therefore it is not easy to guess what to do without user intervention.
Many times, you are simply removing one cell - eg the last one. Might not PgcEdit "guess" that you want to delete the last chapter (if the cell is also a chapter) and offer to amend the chapter table too by deleting the last chapter? I know this doesn't cover all situations, but it is a common one.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 03:07   #465  |  Link
Video Dude

Quote:
No problem r0lZ. I just downloaded version 8 beta and deleted all the blanked PGC. It's an even better solution.

Video Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 08:49   #466  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Blu, the problem is with non-sequential PGCs, where the following chapters can be in another PGC. But I agree that I could test this situation. Will have a look...
Old 6th December 2006, 09:22   #467  |  Link
President

Quote:
The bug you reported in points 5-7 is fixed in v8.0 beta 2. (I was using the same method to clear the unused streams for the title and the menu domains, but as they are only one subpic and one audio streams in the menu domain, the following bytes were overwritten! ) Thanks for your important bug report!
Thank's, r0lZ! Zacos forwarded me. In addition. When I creating any new domain in PGCEdit (VTSM, FP_PGC, VMGM), it creates always as NTSC. I have a PAL DVD without FP_PGC. PGCEdit proposed me to create it. And created with 30 fps. Some standalone players may freeze on this standard mismatch. I have a report from one man, that his Sony freezes on multistandard DVDs. "Disk non-playable". Why? Is it normal? What spec talking about multistandard disks?
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 09:51   #468  |  Link
President

I want a beta2
Old 6th December 2006, 09:56   #469  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

It is indeed illegal to mix PAL and NTSC in the same DVD, although some players support that. My old Sony has no problem playing such DVDs.

BTW, what to do with the domain streams attributes of a non-existing menu is still unclear. The Philips Verifier complains if the menu is not present and the stream attributes are not completely filled with zeroes, but it complains also with a PAL DVD when the non-existing menu is declared as NTSC. Since it is necessary to set a non-zero value in domain streams attributes to declare it as PAL, the verifier complains always when a menu is not present in a PAL DVD!

IIRC, when PgcEdit creates a new domain, it uses the standard found in the title domain of the first VTS, or the VMGM. But maybe there is a bug here.
BTW, do you have that problem with all DVDs, or only with the DVDs without a FP-PGC?
Can you send me the IFOs of a DVD without FP-PGC?

Last edited by r0lZ; 6th December 2006 at 10:08.
Old 6th December 2006, 09:57   #470  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
I want a beta2
See here!
Old 6th December 2006, 10:21   #471  |  Link
President

Quote:
See here!
Thank's again
Old 6th December 2006, 12:06   #472  |  Link
President

Quote:
It is indeed illegal to mix PAL and NTSC in the same DVD, although some players support that. My old Sony has no problem playing such DVDs.
Thank's for your clarification and confirmation. I was think same but was not sure of it.
Quote:
...streams attributes to declare it as PAL, the verifier complains always when a menu is not present in a PAL DVD!
Conclusion: a PAL DVD must have all menu domains in all VTSs. BTW, what is a Philips Verifier? Is it a program or hardware?
Quote:
IIRC, when PgcEdit creates a new domain, it uses the standard found in the title domain of the first VTS, or the VMGM. But maybe there is a bug here.
BTW, do you have that problem with all DVDs, or only with the DVDs without a FP-PGC?
Yes, I noted it "works" on some my DVDs without a menu domains. But, I must check it again. Maybe it's my bad. Now, I know how a PGCEdit works, and maybe it was a multistandard DVDs or something else. I must check it first by myself. If I find a bug suspicion, I'll send an IFO to you.
Quote:
Can you send me the IFOs of a DVD without FP-PGC?
Sorry, no. I have no that DVD now. But I'll try to find it again. It was only one of all of DVDs which I worked earlier.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:00   #473  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The Philips verifier is obviously wrong, but nobody knows exactly when! Anyway, it is legal to have VTSs without menus.

There was indeed some problems with the frame rate of the dummy PGC after using New Menu or the automatic creation of the FP-PGC. It's fixed now. However, what you said is strange, as the PAL frame rate was forced on NTSC DVDs, but seems your problem was the opposite.

I don't need the IFOs. It was easy to simulate a DVD without FP-PGC with IfoEdit.

PgcEdit v8.0 beta 3 is almost ready. Please use it if you want to test that problem again.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:12   #474  |  Link
zacoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
BTW, what is a Philips Verifier? Is it a program or hardware?
I believe r0lZ is referring to http://www.licensing.philips.com/ser...ments1048.html - seems to be running at US$500 atm.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:18   #475  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

@President

Quote:
And created with 30 fps
No domain with 30 fps is created. If you create a FP only a PGC in VMGM is created (FP is always a dummy PGC). If there is no video-, audio content in VMGM (no VIDEO_TS.VOB exists) then Byte 0x100 (Video attributes of VMGM_VOBS) in VMGM_MAT has to be 0 by the spec (even on PAL, Philips Verifier is incorrect in complaining about this).
bigotti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 13:21   #476  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Huh, just a bit too late! I've just released beta 3 with a fix for this problem.
So, I should replace the null timing in 25 or 30 FPS in all dummies by a null timing without fps specification? Right? Seems strange, as I have never seen that in a commercial DVD.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:46   #477  |  Link
President

Thank's, guys!

Roland, you are working so fast, that I don't have a time to downloading a new versions.

Last edited by President; 6th December 2006 at 13:57.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:51   #478  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

Quote:
So, I should replace the null timing in 25 or 30 FPS in all dummies by a null timing without fps specification?
A VIDEO_TS.IFO is always present and if there is no VIDEO_TS.VOB (VTS_0x_0.VOB) then Byte 0x100 in VMGM_MAT (VTSI_MAT) has to be 0.
What do you mean with "null timing ....."?

You wont find it in commercial DVDs.
There is always video-, audio content in all menu domains (even if they are unreferenced as in Maestro DVDs) to ensure segregation of IFO and BUP

Edit:
Just tested beta3
Now its incorrect, created a DVD from scratch (PAL) without content in VMGM and byte 0x100 shows 20480
This entry is only valid if a VOB with this attributes is present

Last edited by bigotti5; 6th December 2006 at 14:00.
Old 6th December 2006, 14:24   #479  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Sorry, I mean null PGC duration. A dummy PGC has a duration of 0:00:00.00, but at a specific PAL or NTSC frame rate. Right?

My cheap XiRON recorder creates a VMGM menu without any VOB but with PAL (or NTSC, I suppose) video attributes. But I have to admit that it is really not a good example, as it's probably the worst authoring ever!

I have never understood why there are menu VOBs in the commercial DVDs, as they don't need that to segregate the IFOs and BUPs, except in the VMGM. The title VOBs are sufficient. Anyway, they are some DVDs without VTS_XX_0.VOB, but I think I have only seen that in ARccOS or RipGuard protected VTS.

I have to verify with PgcEfit v7 if everything is normal when the user creates the first cell in a menu domain, as I'm not sure it updates correctly the video attributes. If it's the case, I'll revert to that. It's annoying, though, as the frame rate of the new PGCs created by PgcEdit are probably determined by the video streams attributes of the current domain. It might create dummies with the wrong frame rate in a PAL DVD.

Anyway, thanks for the precision!
Old 6th December 2006, 17:30   #480  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

Quote:
Sorry, I mean null PGC duration. A dummy PGC has a duration of 0:00:00.00, but at a specific PAL or NTSC frame rate. Right?
Aaah - now I know what you are talking about (my lousy english)
Byte 0x04 in PGC description

For the first play (cant have content) in PAL is always 64 (0x40) and for NTSC 192 (0xC0)

To the video attrinbutes
0 in byte 0x100 does not indicate MPEG1, NTSC, 4:3, PS, Letterboxed etc, it indicates "no VOB present"

Just look at the represented values
You will never get 0 with a VOB present, because 4:3 and PS/Letterbox not possible together, 720x480 and MPEG 1 not possible together and so on

Last edited by bigotti5; 6th December 2006 at 17:33.