Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 22nd March 2010, 13:42   #1  |  Link
joe_71

Need help using TVONE 1T-TBC to restore VHS.

I have recorded a clip from italian analogic tv (PAL system) with a faulty VCR (low cost, not a S-VHS, with mechanical problems I think) and now I have the urgent need to restore the video which is almost incomprehensible!
I have tried with a TvOne-Task 1T-TBC Multi Standard Time Base Corrector from B&H Video and a Terratec Grabster AV400 but the result is not so good.
What type of defect has my recording?
Any suggestion for a possible remedy (hw or sw like a VirtualDub plug-in)?
Here is a clip from the video.
http://www.4shared.com/file/24161835...ovie_0001.html

Thanks
joe_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:03   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

As you can see there's for now not a single software solution -> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152706

I think it's the Grabster that makes the problems - I never saw in my life such a bad TB error, it appears that the hardware encoder gets confused about these TB errors, these are not lines but [MPEG-]blocks ...

Have you checked the image going through the VCR and TBC (use the other output to your TV)? If you did you would have known by now which causes this issue ...

It would also be useful to test the TBC against other irregular sources (not a DVD or anything digital like Bluray or PS3), maybe it has a faulty memory controller ....
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:20   #3  |  Link
joe_71

I'm sure that the problem was in the faulty mechanics of my old VCR: I've watched the tape directly and it has that strange periodic horizontal shift. As for the TBC, I think that it's working: I've tried to insert it in the chain VCR -> TV and it seems to make some correction (the result is what You can see in the video and it's too poor). The Grabster adds some artifact and noise but it's not the problem...

Thanks
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:05   #4  |  Link
Ghitulescu

You got me all wrong - see eg the right side of the hanging screens - there are blocks of 16 pixels there.

A simulated TB error is here -> http://www.mediacollege.com/video/ca...ase-error.html

A real life one is there -> http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...d-anyway/page7.

None of them has so many scanlines moved as a group. It has to do either with the memory addressing chip in the TBC or with the MPEG-2 algorithm in Grabster. I'm positively sure you won't have this error when watching the VHS directly on the TV. I mean it you have it, but not on large blocks. Or did you indeed have it as in the attachment?

So I repeat myself, check the signal after each element to find who's guilty as charged.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:01   #5  |  Link
joe_71

Thanks

As soon as possible, I'll try to aquire the clip again (without the TBC) and I'll post You a sample.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:52   #6  |  Link
joe_71

Here is the clip from VHS -> Grabber.
http://www.4shared.com/file/25349873...94/No_TBC.html
I have watched the VHS directly from TV and it presents the same time-errors as in the clip.

Thanks
Old 31st March 2010, 12:07   #7  |  Link
Ghitulescu

The TBC does not work well or the TB error cannot be fully corrected by this particular type of TBC.

I must confess I never saw in my life such a TB fluctuation. So, first get a good VCR then try the tape once more, with and without the TBC.
Old 5th April 2010, 07:19   #8  |  Link
lordsmurf

That's not a timebase issue, that's a signal interference problem.
Old 12th April 2010, 19:43   #9  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I think you wanna say that was an interference that caused the TB error and this is definitively "burnt-in" on the tape (ie this occured during the taping). In this case the TBC works correctly and the error cannot be further corrected in hardware. See the thread I gave for a software solution.

NB (@joe71): unlike the human eye/brain, a TBC cannot "understand" the picture to see what's wrong with it.

PS: if the software solutions do not satisfy you, the only way of correcting this error in software remains the following: 1. output the video as a set of images (BMP), 2. edit each image by hand (moving lines of pixels by hand), 3. reassemble the images back into a movie.
Old 14th April 2010, 22:27   #10  |  Link
lordsmurf

I don't think there's any timebase error there at all -- it's just signal noise. Maybe some timing instability, sure, but mostly just interference noise. Without re-downloading the clip, I believe this was the "herringbone on steroids" or "herringbone from hell" clip I saw some weeks back. Yes?