Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd February 2009, 01:01   #81  |  Link
DrNein

I also agree that L4.1 AVC in TS/M2TS is more practical than limiting to L4.0 and trying to promote MKV. I suppose the company prefers the path of a sort of proprietary niche even if a subset of standards. But it does seem backwards both to resist the "universal standard" and to be biased towards the low-end.

It was enthusiasts who really propelled ASP to common usage -i.e. simple hack of pre-standard Microsoft implementation when use was artificially limited to a proprietary ASF container. MS turned away from MPEG-4 development but eventually produced a standardized VC-1 rather than remain proprietary only.

The same enthusiasts who embraced ASP have already transitioned to AVC and while they largely choose MKV and are not necessarily concerned with best quality (not unlike common ASP usage), I doubt they will embrace a subset offered by DivX Inc. since they are more interested in playback anywhere -which will not be the case with such a scheme, one way or the other.

The tiny display device market is something all together different and already well covered by Apple's AVC/MOV variant anyway.

So, what DivX Inc. should probably be doing is embracing AVC/TS or at least AVC/MKV and the creation and promotion of interoperable files inclusive of the hardware that is already universal.

This is not a repeat of ASP since DivX Inc. is late to the party this time rather than early (even so, the hardware took too long). AVC hardware has existed for some time already so that should be the target.

Last edited by DrNein; 3rd February 2009 at 01:03.
DrNein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 05:31   #82  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

It would be nice to have a 3840x2160@50fps movie format that everyone could enjoy in their own home.
(A very big screen, a top-end surround sound-system, an Airbus A380 as personal transport and lifestyle to match ... would also be good to go)

DivX has never been about 1 or 2 rich kids that can afford the latest, the greatest and even the futuristic.
DivX popularised movie content from the internet and by doing well they also did good.
They made 'the blind' enjoy the home movie experience ... which expanded the market ... which ultimately created the financial resources for HD and Blu-ray to thrive and prosper.
Let's face it, home entertainment may never rival movies at the cinema for sheer quality and super-realistic immersion.
Few people even have access to IMAX-3D or to some of the more exotic formats of 'sensory-realistic' entertainment.

Home entertainment is largely a market of disposable TV-series, forgettable movies and shallow experience. The 24/7 easy access has made blissfull ignorants of us all.
However, Div 7 has the potential to create a level of entertainment that most people can afford and appreciate .... and may even include many other people who were completely 'off the grid'.

It's all good

Pascal
Old 7th March 2009, 06:33   #83  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

Codec to crunch 3840x2160x50

Is there a codec on the drawing board, designed to deal with the massive ammounts of dataflow from a 3840x2160x50 movie format (perhaps even a dual-stream 3D format) ... albeit only playable on a Cray or SGI supercomputer , at present ?

It's all good

Pascal

Last edited by delacroixp; 7th March 2009 at 06:41.
delacroixp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 15:40   #84  |  Link
hajj_3

divx 7.1 seems to be out, cant find a changelog on their site or forums or even doom9 forums. Here's the installer tho: http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXInstaller.exe
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 16:14   #85  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
divx 7.1 seems to be out, cant find a changelog on their site or forums or even doom9 forums. Here's the installer tho: http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXInstaller.exe
Quote:
DivX 7.1

Divx Player updated to 7.1.0

* New Skin

The DivX Player has been refreshed with an update to the skin.

* H.264/MKV/AAC playback support

The DivX Player now supports playback of H.264 and MKV files and AAC audio tracks if you have the Media Pack or Proversion.

AAC Decoder updated to 7.1.0
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DivX_...tory#changelog
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 16:20   #86  |  Link
hajj_3

very poor changelog, was hoping for updating divx converter functionality and native .mp4 playback at the very least.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 08:07   #87  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

Pretty soon we'll all be watching 6 mega-pixel stereoscopic movies with 64-bit color.

I guess 16 CPU's, 512 gb RAM and a 1600 watt PSU is only entry level for a supercomputer (Cray CX1 , video) .
However, it seams like only yesterday that I had a IBM PS2 with room for 4 mb RAM (1987) .

It's all good !

Pascal
Old 30th April 2009, 09:57   #88  |  Link
shinedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroixp View Post
Pretty soon we'll all be watching 6 mega-pixel stereoscopic movies with 64-bit color.

I guess 16 CPU's, 512 gb RAM and a 1600 watt PSU is only entry level for a supercomputer (Cray CX1 , video) .
However, it seams like only yesterday that I had a IBM PS2 with room for 4 mb RAM (1987) .

It's all good !

Pascal
its all good. agree, but not for mother earth

steroscopic movies with 64bpp soon? well i think not so soon.
shinedot is offline   Reply With Quote