Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th February 2016, 22:51   #36241  |  Link
Telion

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ok, I've done one more change. Is it fixed in v0.90.10?
Yes, this time the memleak is gone completely. Big thanks for all your efforts, madshi!
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 23:01   #36242  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
I think it depends on other settings and the actual content. I haven't checked out Bicubic125, but SSIM did perform better than Catmull-ROM.

I use:
- MPC-HC + latest LAV Filters (DXVA2 Copy-Back Acceleration), - 10bit+ bit-depth on display with 12bit output
- 0-255 range
- 3DLUT
- Reduce Banding Artifacts (top - low, bottom - medium, but depends on content),
- NNEDI3 64n + SuperRes (strength = 3) for Chroma Upscaling
- NNEDI3 32n for both Image Doubling and Image Quadrupling (Luma Only, both set to Always)
- SSIM 2D + AR + LL for Image Downscaling, Jinc + AR for Image Upscaling
- SuperRes (strength = 3) for Image Refinement (Refine the image After every 2x upscaling step)
- Error Difussion Dither (Method 2 + Use Colored Noise + Change Dither for Every Frame)
- Nothing selected/ticked in Trade Quality for Performance
Yes for sure SSIM is sharper than Catmull-Rom (bicubic50). In terms of sharpness it looks identical to me to bicubic125 when doubling 720p and downscaling to 1080p. I could not observe any additional detail over bicubic125 either when doubling 720p and downscaling so I'm sticking to bicubic125 for this.

Last edited by iSeries; 18th February 2016 at 23:06.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 02:46   #36243  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
I use:

- NNEDI3 64n + SuperRes (strength = 3) for Chroma Upscaling
- NNEDI3 32n for both Image Doubling and Image Quadrupling (Luma Only, both set to Always)
Consider NNEDI3 64 for image doubling and cut back chroma to 32. This would offer you a more worthwhile use of your resources.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 13:06   #36244  |  Link
kalston

Agreed, I use NNEDI3 32 for Chroma but ONLY because I got power to spare on my 980 ti. I tried comparing NNEDI3 16 vs 32 vs Jinc AR and I can't see a difference when it comes to Chroma upscaling on actual content (SD or HD). Maybe with a special test file I could see it.

I'm using NNEDI3 256 (+Jinc AR for the final touch) for "image upscaling" (720p>1440p usually) and I can just change the Chroma upscaling back to Jinc AR for 30fps+ content (for 24, 25fps I don't even need to bother).

Last edited by kalston; 19th February 2016 at 13:41.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 14:18   #36245  |  Link
x7007

NNEDI3 won't ever work with newer nvidia drivers with CUVID ?
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 16:41   #36246  |  Link
SpoCk0nd0pe

Hey Madshi,

I might have discovered a very minor bug in my setup:
For some reason NNEDI Luma quadrupling doesn't work on my 640x480 source (to 1080p) if I set it to 2.4x (or higher). It does work if I set it to always.

Doubling works as intended.

I'm using MPC-HC, an r9 290 with catalyst 15.7.1 on win7 pro x64. Thanks in advance!
SpoCk0nd0pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 16:48   #36247  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoCk0nd0pe View Post
For some reason NNEDI Luma quadrupling doesn't work on my 640x480 source (to 1080p) if I set it to 2.4x (or higher). It does work if I set it to always.!
640x480 * 2.25 -> 1440x1080. The factor is below 2.4.
Old 19th February 2016, 18:12   #36248  |  Link
leandronb

Hi guys, i am having a problem that i think is related with madvr.
Sometimes when i am playing a tv show and i skip to the next episode, it just shows a black screen, and even returning from fullscreen i can't play the episode. i have to close mpc and open the episode again. this do not happen when i am not in fullscreen.
Maybe is related to the change in refresh rate, i use the option to change refresh rate in madvr.
madvr version 0.89.19.
When i am not in fullscreen i can skip all episodes in a season without any problem, but in fullscreen it sometimes give me this blackscreen.
Using windows 10.
Old 19th February 2016, 18:42   #36249  |  Link
XMonarchY

Why is there NNEDI3 for Chroma Upscaling and Image Doubling/Quadrupling, but not Image Upscaling?

I am also a bit perplexed about the whole Bicubic thing. Are you saying that all the Image Downscaling options (and perhaps others?) are just renamed version of Bicubic? Catmull-Rom = Bicubic50, SSIM = Bicubic125, Jinc/NNEDI3/others = some other Bicubic???

Last edited by XMonarchY; 19th February 2016 at 18:45.
Old 19th February 2016, 19:15   #36250  |  Link
ibius

Quote:
Why is there NNEDI3 for Chroma Upscaling and Image Doubling/Quadrupling, but not Image Upscaling?
Well, I gotta say, you sound like it's your first time here.
NNEDI3 can only scale 2x, chroma is always 2x and image doubling/quadrupling part I leave to you.
NNEDI3 can double in both directions X or Y, Super-Xbr for example can only double X and Y.

Also, I remembered reading this same question you asked in 'madVR options explained' thread, took me seconds to find it, http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...05#post1710105

Last edited by ibius; 19th February 2016 at 19:23.
ibius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 20:04   #36251  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandronb View Post
Sometimes when i am playing a tv show and i skip to the next episode, it just shows a black screen, and even returning from fullscreen i can't play the episode. i have to close mpc and open the episode again. this do not happen when i am not in fullscreen.
Maybe is related to the change in refresh rate, i use the option to change refresh rate in madvr.
madvr version 0.89.19.
When i am not in fullscreen i can skip all episodes in a season without any problem, but in fullscreen it sometimes give me this blackscreen.
Using windows 10.
Try 90.10. There was a memory leak which was fixed in 90.10. I had similar problems and 90.10 seems to have fixed it.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 20:10   #36252  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Are you saying that all the Image Downscaling options (and perhaps others?) are just renamed version of Bicubic?
They're all Bicubic and all subjective impressions are pure placebo, shouldn't have taken the red pill. Catmull-Rom = Bicubic50, that's all AFAIK ))
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 20:19   #36253  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
They're all Bicubic and all subjective impressions are pure placebo, shouldn't have taken the red pill. Catmull-Rom = Bicubic50, that's all AFAIK ))
Not "all" are Bicubic, but Catmull Rom and Mitchell Netravali are (and Bicubic and SoftCubic of course). But they are all different variations of the cubic interpolation. That C-R happens to be exactly the same as Bicubic50 is just the way it is.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 19th February 2016 at 22:04.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 21:25   #36254  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandronb View Post
madvr version 0.89.19.
Using windows 10.
I have the same problem if I use MPC-BE with internal filters.
But if I use MPC-BE with LAV filters the problem goes away.

Just tested and it's the same problem also with the latest madVR version.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 21:59   #36255  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:

I am also a bit perplexed about the whole Bicubic thing. Are you saying that all the Image Downscaling options (and perhaps others?) are just renamed version of Bicubic? Catmull-Rom = Bicubic50, SSIM = Bicubic125, Jinc/NNEDI3/others = some other Bicubic???
After 345 posts, I have a hard time believing any of your questions are serious? Do you really want an answer or are you trying to flood this forum with useless posts?

You must know what NNEDI3 is -- image doubling, not image upscaling. And of course not all of the downscaling options are Bicubic; they are no different than the image upscaling algorithms. Many probably use very similar approaches to image scaling, with similar math -- but they are not the same.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 23:09   #36256  |  Link
clsid

madshi,
MPC-HC menu > View > Statistics shows the wrong framerate when using madVR. With all other renderers it displays the playback framerate of the video (video framerate * playbackspeed). In case of madVR it shows the screen refresh rate.

According to U78 the info is gathered using "get_AvgFrameRate()" method provided by the "IQualProp" interface of the filter graph.
Old 19th February 2016, 23:14   #36257  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
madshi,
MPC-HC menu > View > Statistics shows the wrong framerate when using madVR. With all other renderers it displays the playback framerate of the video (video framerate * playbackspeed). In case of madVR it shows the screen refresh rate.
Actually it shows the actually rendered frame rate on other renderers. I think madVR does the same thing, except that in some of the rendering modes its going to present a new frame for every VSYNC, hence showing screen refresh.

So I wouldn't necessarily call it wrong. If you use a mode that only presents every frame once, ie. D3D9 or Overlay, it shows what you might expect.
Old 19th February 2016, 23:31   #36258  |  Link
clsid

I use D3D9. Disabling "present several frames in advance" indeed gives the framerate value I expected.
Old 20th February 2016, 00:04   #36259  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
SSIM = Bicubic125?
C'mon man. You've been here a while now. LOL.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 00:57   #36260  |  Link
markanini

I've found some setting which I think substantially improves low-res/bitrate sources, but looks good for good sources too:
Image enhancements: Enhance detail 1.0 (pre-resize)
Image doubling: NEDI
Image upscaling: Lanczos3 AR sigmoidal
Upscaling refinement: SuperRes 3
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling