Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th April 2013, 14:54   #18301  |  Link
chuuey

Well I think my Vsync issues on XP are a problem related to the Nvidia drivers. Even with latest WHQL drivers, the refresh rate reported by madVR is all over the place, sometimes falling to 57Hz on a 60Hz screen and sometimes jumping into 62 range, and frame drops occur everywhere. I just tested madVR on another machine with Intel HD4000 Ivy Bridge graphics, exact same software setup as my PC and it works flawless, no Vsync issues and I just watched a film with 0 frame drops on it. I guess Nvidia messed something up on XP and 600 series drivers. Interesting fact is that all games, for example have perfect Vsync applied.
chuuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 18:07   #18302  |  Link
Niyawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Do you really expect him to work continuously, without break, on madVR? He has other priorities you know.
What?! A developer has a life?! Heresy!

Jokes aside, don't recklessly assume that I was criticizing his behavior of taking breaks silly. That was a simply a comment based on ryrynz guess.
Old 10th April 2013, 18:44   #18303  |  Link
MokrySedeS
I am the one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
so does that 91% load stutter?
No, it does not. Playback is smooth with no dropping frames.
It starts to drop ~3 frames per second though when I have a brwoser with hardware acceleration enabled in the background, which by itself causes 2-4% load.
Slight overclock would probably take care of that, but afterburner crapped out on me yesterday when I tried to update it so I can't test it right now.

Quote:
I'm a little surprised as a 660 also gave 30% on 720p@1080p when Xaurus tried it(and 48% on interlaced PAL DVD).
Display calibration maybe? My display is not calibrated. Just guessing...

Quote:
Hopefully you both tested a 16/9 720p movie and not 2.40
I know I did A 720p file with 2.35 aspect ratio gives me 24%.

Quote:
And you were using CUVID decoding in LAV, right?
Nope... dxva2cb. Why should I use CUVID?

Quote:
Anyway if your 91% load on that 1440*1080@29.97fps "worst case scenario" sample doesn't stutter then I guess I might just snag one of those <100€ 650Ti's after all
Bear in mind that I have a power edition card from msi, which is slightly overclocked by default.

EDIT: 92-93% with CUVID but still plays smoothly.

Last edited by MokrySedeS; 10th April 2013 at 18:56.
MokrySedeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 19:24   #18304  |  Link
truexfan81

Quote:
OK, thanks again for the testing! so does that 91% load stutter?

I'm a little surprised as a 660 also gave 30% on 720p@1080p when Xaurus tried it(and 48% on interlaced PAL DVD).

Hopefully you both tested a 16/9 720p movie and not 2.40, and I know madshi also added optimized code for fixed ratios...

And you were using CUVID decoding in LAV, right?

Anyway if your 91% load on that 1440*1080@29.97fps "worst case scenario" sample doesn't stutter then I guess I might just snag one of those <100€ 650Ti's after all

non-Ti 650? Yes, I guess this board must really suffer on J3AR

I'm getting tired of constantly switching scalers, I just wanna leave them both on J3AR permanently.
i hear ya, for most things i use jinc3ar luma and softcubic chroma (i noticed some weird artifacts when using jinc3 chroma) only thing i have in 60fps is nascar races, so i just change it to lanczos3ar when i watch those.
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 19:25   #18305  |  Link
truexfan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamGuy View Post
Does anyone have any idea how a Intel i5-4570R, i5-4670R or a i7-4770R with the new Haswell HD 5200 (GT3e) will perform with MadVR? Might consider a Mini-ITX Media Center running Media Browser + MPC-HC if the performance is good enough.
when using madvr the gpu is more important than anything
Old 10th April 2013, 20:49   #18306  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by truexfan81 View Post
i noticed some weird artifacts when using jinc3 chroma
Do you have any samples for that? I would be very interested in seeing them.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 22:49   #18307  |  Link
truexfan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Do you have any samples for that? I would be very interested in seeing them.
i'll have to see if i can reproduce it, will post later if i don't forget
Old 11th April 2013, 04:53   #18308  |  Link
Dodgexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamGuy View Post
Does anyone have any idea how a Intel i5-4570R, i5-4670R or a i7-4770R with the new Haswell HD 5200 (GT3e) will perform with MadVR? Might consider a Mini-ITX Media Center running Media Browser + MPC-HC if the performance is good enough.
I should think so, madshi said himself it works great on his current Intel HD 4000 graphics.

What's interesting though is that it seems only mobile cpus are being shipped with the flagship integrated gpu. Not that the desktop one won't be an improvement on what's currently on offer..but still..

Sent from my Blade S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Dodgexander; 11th April 2013 at 04:55.
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 05:10   #18309  |  Link
jmelan

Hi madshi, I am a long time user of madVR - thanks for all of your efforts!

I have a GTX 650 Ti and noticed that the included madNvLevelsTweaker.exe utility has the added benefit of fixing the Nvidia HDMI audio "not plugged in" problem after resume from sleep/TV turned off and back on (normally requires a restart).

Not knowing how the madNvLevelsTweaker.exe utility is working, is it safe to run multiple times (eg every time I resume from sleep)? If not, is there any chance that whatever function you are using to reset the graphics driver could be used separately?

Thanks!

- other dedicated programs such as HDMIOn and HDMIYo fail to correct the issue. Also, the Gefen HDMI detective plus does not work properly with the current Nvidia drivers (HDCP error).
jmelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 06:40   #18310  |  Link
dbcooper

Hi guys, have a quick question about DVD playback.

Many PAL DVD's are 25fps progressive but flagged as 50i, where the frames are progressive (at 25fps) but are played twice to give 50fps.

Can I simply deselect "automatically activate deinterlacing when needed" and safely have the video played as 25p?
dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 06:53   #18311  |  Link
Dodgexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post

Many PAL DVD's are 25fps progressive but flagged as 50i, where the frames are progressive (at 25fps) but are played twice to give 50fps.

Can I simply deselect "automatically activate deinterlacing when needed" and safely have the video played as 25p?
Or you can toggle between modes during playback. See the shortcut section.

You should also use the osd to see if it's detecting anything wrongly.

Sent from my Blade S using Tapatalk 2
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 07:14   #18312  |  Link
dbcooper

Thanks for the shortcut tip. What's happening (according to the OSD) is that (with "automatically activate deinterlacing when needed" on) MadVR spends a lot of time deinterlacing, which puts stress on my old GPU. I assume that if I turn off that option then MadVR will simply drop half of the 50 fps, leaving a perfect, progressive 25fps?
Old 11th April 2013, 08:24   #18313  |  Link

Quote:

There is a half framerate option in the "trade quality for performance" settings. But if the disc is actually progressive, deinterlacing probably won't be activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelan View Post
I have a GTX 650 Ti and noticed that the included madNvLevelsTweaker.exe utility has the added benefit of fixing the Nvidia HDMI audio "not plugged in" problem after resume from sleep/TV turned off and back on (normally requires a restart).
I can't speak for using madNvLevelsTweaker, but have you disabled the Nvidia Display Driver Service? I know that some people like to disable "unnecessary" services, and I have found it to cause problems with HDMI audio in the past when it was disabled.
Old 11th April 2013, 08:32   #18314  |  Link
dbcooper

Quote:
There is a half framerate option in the "trade quality for performance" settings. But if the disc is actually progressive, deinterlacing probably won't be activated.

I can't speak for using madNvLevelsTweaker, but have you disabled the Nvidia Display Driver Service? I know that some people like to disable "unnecessary" services, and I have found it to cause problems with HDMI audio in the past when it was disabled.
It seems to depend on the title menu - if this is flagged as progressive then the movie will be played as progressive, if it is interlaced then the movie will be played interlaced.
Old 11th April 2013, 09:51   #18315  |  Link
adhara

Quote:
Originally Posted by truexfan81 View Post
when using madvr the gpu is more important than anything
What a pity.
I noted (MadVR + Lav (Jriver)) the following distribution in terms of use of machine resources (in average and with Bicubic/Lanczos).

GPU (hd4000) : 60%-80%
CPU (i7 3370): 5%-10%

Many people are moving towards a fanless configuration (w/o any graphic card).
It would be nice that developers balance their codes load between CPU and GPU.
Currently, most of codes are GPU oriented. Not sure this is the better choice.

Last edited by adhara; 11th April 2013 at 09:53.
adhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 12:03   #18316  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:

Yes. CTRL + SHIFT + D will toggle deinterlacing on/off as needed.

If performance isn't a problem then you can usually leave deinterlacing on for progressive content. To check that nothing funky is happening to the video, simply step through the frames (after playing a few seconds). If every other frame is identical to the previous one, then everything is fine. If they are similar but not the same, then your GPU isn't handling the cadence properly and is incorrectly applying deinterlacing, resulting in resolution loss.

Last edited by DragonQ; 11th April 2013 at 12:16.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 16:22   #18317  |  Link
jmelan

Quote:
...I can't speak for using madNvLevelsTweaker, but have you disabled the Nvidia Display Driver Service? I know that some people like to disable "unnecessary" services, and I have found it to cause problems with HDMI audio in the past when it was disabled.
Nothing disabled, clean install. Nvidia's current drivers have a problem with HDMI hotplug detection. Since I use my HTPC for cablecard recording (HD homerun prime), the TV is often off. When I turn it back on, HDMI audio does not work until a restart.

I realize that this is off topic. I will probably try to just keep using madNvLevelsTweaker, but that method does not have a high WAF. Apparently both AMD and intel video drivers are handling HDMI hotplug detection properly right now, but I would prefer to stick to Nvidia and CUVID for LAV/madVR.
jmelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 20:03   #18318  |  Link
yok833

Is there a big difference in picture quality between Cuvid and hardware decoding? Is DVXA copy back the worst solution?
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 20:51   #18319  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by yok833 View Post
Is there a big difference in picture quality between Cuvid and hardware decoding? Is DVXA copy back the worst solution?
CUVID forces the graphics card into its highest power state when running, and I have found that using CUVID with a lot of files will activate deinterlacing when there's no need for it. (if I use software decoding or DXVA2 copy-back, it's detected as being a progressive video)

DXVA2 Native decoding performs slightly worse than LAV's Copy-Back implementation for me, and it does not allow you to force Film-type deinterlacing, which makes it useless for me.

DXVA2 Copy-Back performs best out of the three. Files are correctly detected as being progressive/interlaced, and you are able to force Film-type deinterlacing when using it if you need to. (I actually have madVR set up to force Film-type by default, and manually override it in the rare case that video-type is required)

Both DXVA2 decoding options also allow the graphics card to drop down to the medium power state as well if it's not needed. Because I have a GTX570, it never needs to be in the high power state during video playback, so this reduces my power consumption.

It is rare, but I have one or two videos (Blu-ray discs, even) that show artefacts when decoded via the hardware decoders, that play back perfectly with software decoding. Otherwise, image quality should be the same between CUVID and DXVA2 Copy-Back.

But it's so rare that I stick with DXVA2 Copy-Back for the power savings.

I can't say what the situation is like for AMD/Intel.
Old 11th April 2013, 23:49   #18320  |  Link
DragonQ

Yeah I would recommend both types of DXVA2 over CUVID for nVidia cards, unless you have a specific reason to use the latter (like I do right now).

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling