Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12th January 2008, 07:20   #2601  |  Link
nincollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I need a sample of the EVO file. A sample of the MKV file doesn't help me at all. You can cut EVO files e.g. by using a hexeditor.
having trouble cutting the evo even with a hex editor. do i select the part i want and save selection? otherwise sum more advice would be handy. cheers.

also PROCODER 3 can convert the m2ts from a bluray file directly (havent tried from a disc yet). no remuxing required. im still testing but did a short sample and it seems to work fine. audio and video.

Last edited by nincollector; 12th January 2008 at 11:43.
Old 12th January 2008, 09:35   #2602  |  Link
Beastie Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nincollector View Post
what are you trying to do? you havent given it a destination. if you want to demux you need to add -demux to the end
Running eac3to with an input but no output will give info about the input stream. It's very useful actually.

Cheers, Beastie.
Old 12th January 2008, 10:31   #2603  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nincollector View Post
what are you trying to do? you havent given it a destination. if you want to demux you need to add -demux to the end
I guess I'm unclear as you are the second one telling me this...post 2595

If you use eac3to feature_1.evo+feature_2.evo you should see info about video and audio.

As eac3to can't read the files I can't demux/remux anything...
Old 12th January 2008, 10:41   #2604  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaja1 View Post
The other sample I have is an VC1 evo, that has distorted audio when played back using Haali splitter+VMR9 and becomes a green mess using Haali splitter + Haali video renderer. Converting the eac3 track to ac3 using eac3to -sonic, the ac3 plays back fine except for two annoying distortions. Here again, the sample has no distortions in PowerDVD.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/er2ql7
This one is really strange. With all other problematic VC-1 EVO files demuxing the VC-1 video stream and playing it through Sonic Demuxer -> Sonic VC-1 decoder resulted in perfect playback. However, with this sample playing the video with Haali -> MS VC-1 decoder -> VMR9 results in a garbled mess and playing it with Sonic Demuxer -> Sonic VC-1 decoder results in the screen going all black (in the same moment when Haali -> MS goes garbled). So I'd say that the VC-1 stream is probably damaged. But why does PowerDVD play it correctly? Unfortunately PowerDVD always crashes on my PC, so I can't really check it. Does the EVO play perfectly (without even a hint of stuttering) on your PC? I'm wondering whether PowerDVD eventually detects the incorrect VC-1 stream and just skips the damaged frame(s)? But that should result in a little bit of skipping/stuttering. Well, the scene seems to have not much action. Maybe skipping a few frames wouldn't even be noticable in this case?
Old 12th January 2008, 10:44   #2605  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaja1 View Post
Nope, but I know what went wrong. I just cut of the main part of the evo with a file splitter (don't know of a better way) and eac3to/mkvtoolnix(?) doesn't like that. It completes normally, so I wasn't paying much attentention and didn't see the message "The DirectShow decoder thread seems to hang". So there was no rewrite of timestamps. After rewriting the timestamps myself with mkvmerge, the tiny stutter was gone, as you said. Awesome.
So are your worries about VC-1 HD DVD movies gone now? As has been said, there are a handful of problematic titles. But eac3to should be able to convert 95% of the VC-1 HD DVD movies just fine to MKV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat_D
Thanks for the explanation. Do you happen to know whether Haali is aware of this?
I'm not sure, probably he is not aware. But I've already reported some problems to him which are more important for me personally, so I'm not going to bother him with more problems, unless the other problems I've reported are fixed first... After all we can easily work around the stuttering by rewriting the timestamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat_D
This eac3 file crashes libav.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4w77n0
This is already fixed in the latest E-AC3 SVN. An updated libav decoder will be shipping with the next eac3to build.
Old 12th January 2008, 10:45   #2606  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardk View Post
eac3to fails on Sum of all fears.

eac3to feature_1.evo+feature_2.evo
after that nothing...
Can you reproduce this problem with a small sample? If so, could you please upload that sample? Thanks.
Old 12th January 2008, 10:55   #2607  |  Link
nautilus7

@madshi

In case i want to remove some streams of an .evo file, i have to use evodemux's rebuilt option.

Would be easy to add such an option to eac3to?
Old 12th January 2008, 11:00   #2608  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
In case i want to remove some streams of an .evo file, i have to use evodemux's rebuilt option.

Would be easy to add such an option to eac3to?
I intentionally didn't implement any features like that because it would open up a can of worms for new bugs and I'm not really willing to spend much time on debugging problems related to features that I don't really find all too important. If you want to remove some streams of an EVO file then EvoDemux should do the trick just fine. I'm not planning to add this kind of feature to eac3to.
Old 12th January 2008, 11:06   #2609  |  Link
nautilus7

Ok, as far as evodemux works fine, i am fine. Thanks.
Old 12th January 2008, 14:18   #2610  |  Link
Frodo

A short question about the Blu Ray/HD-DVD plug-in for Nero.
Is it suffidiently to update a Nero 7 Essentials version with this plug-in?? Or is a Premium or Ultra Edition necessary??
Old 12th January 2008, 14:25   #2611  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
A short question about the Blu Ray/HD-DVD plug-in for Nero.
Is it suffidiently to update a Nero 7 Essentials version with this plug-in?? Or is a Premium or Ultra Edition necessary??
As far as I know Essentials is good enough.
Old 13th January 2008, 00:34   #2612  |  Link
yfed

Hi! Question concerning David Gilmour Blu-Ray Concert Disc:

I've demuxed TrueHD from mpa file using xport; converted to FLAC using latest eac3to, and then muxed it with my own x264 encode along with LPCM track.

LPCM plays fine, but TrueHD goes out of sync ~ middle of concert 1-1.5sec. As I understand, DTS from x264 encode had no problems. I have tried madFlac and FFdshow Audio decoder, both had exact off-sync issues on this concert.. Could someone explain what could be the problem?

Last edited by yfed; 13th January 2008 at 03:38.
Old 13th January 2008, 07:24   #2613  |  Link
onesloth

stdout not working with TrueHD?

I've been using eac3to's stdout into neroaacenc to transcode HD-DVD e-ac3 tracks to aac, without problem, using a batch file like this:
Code:
C:\eac3to "C:\PEVOB_1.EVO"+"C:\PEVOB_2.EVO" 3: stdout.wav | C:\neroAacEnc_SSE.exe -q 1.0 -ignorelength -if - -of "E:\output.mp4"
But, when I use this to transcode an HD-DVD TrueHD track, eac3to does not appear to be outputting to stdout. Instead it starts writing to these two files in the eac3to directory:
Code:
stdout.16bit.wav
stdout.24bit.wav
Is eac3to capable of outputting TrueHD tracks to stdout?
and BTW why does it output to the two files?
Old 13th January 2008, 09:20   #2614  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfed View Post
Hi! Question concerning David Gilmour Blu-Ray Concert Disc:

I've demuxed TrueHD from mpa file using xport; converted to FLAC using latest eac3to, and then muxed it with my own x264 encode along with LPCM track.

LPCM plays fine, but TrueHD goes out of sync ~ middle of concert 1-1.5sec. As I understand, DTS from x264 encode had no problems. I have tried madFlac and FFdshow Audio decoder, both had exact off-sync issues on this concert.. Could someone explain what could be the problem?
Hmmmmm... Does the concert consist of only one m2ts file? Or did you have to join multiple m2ts files for the main feature?
Old 13th January 2008, 09:23   #2615  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesloth View Post
I've been using eac3to's stdout into neroaacenc to transcode HD-DVD e-ac3 tracks to aac, without problem, using a batch file like this:
Code:
C:\eac3to "C:\PEVOB_1.EVO"+"C:\PEVOB_2.EVO" 3: stdout.wav | C:\neroAacEnc_SSE.exe -q 1.0 -ignorelength -if - -of "E:\output.mp4"
But, when I use this to transcode an HD-DVD TrueHD track, eac3to does not appear to be outputting to stdout. Instead it starts writing to these two files in the eac3to directory:
Code:
stdout.16bit.wav
stdout.24bit.wav
Is eac3to capable of outputting TrueHD tracks to stdout?
Hmmmm... I didn't think of this 16/24 bit issue with TrueHD tracks when adding stdout support. Will fix this in the next build. You'll always get a 24bit WAV file delivered to stdout then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesloth View Post
BTW why does it output to the two files?
This has been explained multiple times in this thread. Basically there's a chance that the TrueHD decoding is 16bit or 24bit. eac3to doesn't know until the whole decoding is done. So after decoding eac3to keeps the WAV file with the correct bitdepth and deletes the other one.
Old 13th January 2008, 11:18   #2616  |  Link
nautilus7

madshi,

Wouldn't be easier to add support for ogg and aac like ac3 and flac?
I mean drop the appropriate encoder into eac3to directory and type something like:

Code:
eac3to input.* output.ogg or aac
Old 13th January 2008, 13:48   #2617  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Wouldn't be easier to add support for ogg and aac like ac3 and flac?
I mean drop the appropriate encoder into eac3to directory and type something like:

Code:
eac3to input.* output.ogg or aac
The stdout can be used to encode to ogg or aac.

This work for me:

Code:
eac3to 6chan.wav stdout.wav | neroaacenc -q 0.5 -if - -of 6chaac.mp4
eac3to 6chan.wav stdout.wav -0,2,1,4,5,3 | oggenc2 -Q -q 5 - -o 6chogg.ogg
But still there are problems when I try:
Code:
eac3to 6chan.ac3 stdout.wav -libav | neroaacenc -q 0.5 -if - -of 6chaac.mp4
eac3to 6chan.ac3 stdout.wav -libav -0,2,1,4,5,3 | oggenc2 -Q -q 5 - -o 6chogg.ogg
I get the log:
Code:
eac3to v2.14
eac3to 6chan.ac3 stdout.wav -libav -0,2,1,4,5,3
AC3, 5.1 channels, 0:00:20, 448kbit/s, 48khz
Remapping channels...
Remapping channels...
Loading white noise (needed for dithering)...
Writing WAV...
Creating/writing file "stdout.wav"...
Writing the destination file failed.
(similar for aac)

EDIT: of course this work for me
eac3to 6chan.ac3 out2.wav -libav -0,2,1,4,5,3
(not problem with -libav decoder)

EDIT2: and same problem using like input .thd, .mlp, .eac3 or .dts

Last edited by tebasuna51; 13th January 2008 at 23:43.
Old 13th January 2008, 17:30   #2618  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Small feature request if possible: merging 6 separate FLACs to a 5.1 FLAC. Currently, eac3to doesn't do this, nor does FLAC.exe.
Old 14th January 2008, 00:23   #2619  |  Link
Richum

The following is the error message sent by eac3to GUI while trying to extract audio from an EVO file.

D:\EAC3>eac3to.exe "F:\FEATURE_1.EVO" "F:\Working\convert Feature1" -448 -nero
EVO, 2 video tracks, 5 audio tracks, 0:50:02
1: VC-1, 1080p24 /1.001
2: VC-1, 480p30 /1.001
3: TrueHD, 5.1 channels, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
4: E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 384kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB, -17ms
5: E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 384kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB, -17ms
6: E-AC3, 2.0 channels, 192kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB, -17ms
7: E-AC3, 2.0 channels, 192kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB, -4ms
This audio conversion is not supported.

Is this because I do not have the Nero Blu-Ray/HD DVD Plug-in or is because these files use 384kbits, or something else?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 14th January 2008, 00:54   #2620  |  Link
nautilus7

I don't think the gui is updated to support the newer eac3to versions.

Anyway the command is totally wrong. Have a look in the first post and don't use the gui this time.

Without the plug in, the nero decoders don't work so you have to use another decoder.

If i understand correctly, what you want to do is to create an ac3 file (from the truehd track). Then you have to type:

Code:
eac3to "F:\FEATURE_1.EVO"+"F:\FEATURE_2.EVO" 2: "F:\Working\your.output.file.ac3" -448
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to