Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 14th November 2022, 07:49   #1781  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Thank you for the new release, as always.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2022, 21:28   #1782  |  Link
Peter_A

Job Output missing "new line" character(s)

Often, I copy & paste the MKVToolNix output (from "Job Output") into a text/log file (on a Windows machine). The output has always maintained the line breaks when pasted in the past, but it is not doing that with v72.0.0. When I paste now, all of the lines are concatenated into a single line. I thought that maybe either the CR or LF was dropped, but I tried saving as text files with UNIX (LF) and MAC (CR) line terminators, as well, and experienced the same (output all in single line).

Was this an intentional change in v72.0.0? I didn't see anything in the release notes, but perhaps I overlooked something.
Peter_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2022, 21:55   #1783  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I definitely didn't change anything there, and most certainly this isn't intentional. I can reproduce it on my end. My guess is that this is due to Qt which was updated to v6.4.0 with MKVToolNix v72.

I suggest you don't copy-paste, but instead use the "Save output" function from the "More actions" button.

Edit: looks like QTBUG-107004.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.

Last edited by Mosu; 14th November 2022 at 22:00.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2022, 02:05   #1784  |  Link
manolito

@ Peter_A

Or you can use an alternative build compiled using Qt5.7 from here:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...e3#post2672418

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2022, 16:14   #1785  |  Link
Peter_A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
I suggest you don't copy-paste, but instead use the "Save output" function from the "More actions" button.

Edit: looks like QTBUG-107004.
Thanks, but that doesn't even totally work as I'd expect. If I mux and then clear the output, it removes the output from the window. If I mux again, the new output shows in the window, but if I then save the output (as you suggest), the file contains the output from both muxes. It seems to keep everything since the program was last closed. Why does it not just save what's currently in the window (what I'd assume would be the desired behavior)?
Peter_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2022, 17:00   #1786  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

OK, this is a bit complicated.

The one "job output" tab that's always visible does indeed collect the logs of all jobs. The output isn't just saved from the "output" text field to a file as there are three text fields: "output", "warnings", "errors". What's saved is the internal representation of the output as it is produced by mkvmerge — meaning warnings & error messages are interleaved with regular output, preserving the order in which the messages arrive.

That being said, clearing the output on the "job output" tab should also clear its internal representation, which it doesn't seem to do — hence you seeing the output of all jobs in the saved file. I'll look into that.

As yet another workaround you can go to the "job queue" tool & right-click on the job whose output you want to save. Select "View output" from the context menu. This will open a separate tab in the "job output" tool, and from there you can save it.

Old 19th November 2022, 10:59   #1787  |  Link
Moonbase

Thanks for continuous upgrades! I actually had some cases where the GUI Header Editor messed up the header slightly in v70. Nothing that couldn’t be fixed by doing a fresh remux, though. Will check if this is better now with v72.
Moonbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2022, 19:12   #1788  |  Link
Kairys

Hi! Is it possible to use your program to create a Blu-Ray Remux with the addition of your own audio track? There are folders (BDMV, CERTIFICATE) extracted using the MakeMKV program. What to do next? Could you give a brief instruction? Thanks
Kairys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2022, 21:52   #1789  |  Link
Megalith

How feasible is this via scripting?

1. Scan all MKVs and remove all audio tracks with the words "audio commentary"
2. Retain file accessed/modified dates

And would this require re-muxing?

Last edited by Megalith; 4th December 2022 at 22:24.
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2022, 23:00   #1790  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Not that hard at all with proper scripting languages (can even be done with bash, but it's a bit harder).

Removing whole tracks always requires full remuxes.

Old 5th December 2022, 17:49   #1791  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairys View Post
Hi! Is it possible to use your program to create a Blu-Ray Remux with the addition of your own audio track? There are folders (BDMV, CERTIFICATE) extracted using the MakeMKV program. What to do next? Could you give a brief instruction? Thanks
Hi Kairys
and welcome to Doom9.

Simple drag&drop the index.bdmv file into a Muxing-Tab in MKVToolNix(MTX).

MTX scans this file and presents a selection form with all the content of this disc (except: Angles of titles).
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2022, 01:40   #1792  |  Link
Megalith

Question about Dialnorm:

Whether Dialnorm is modified/retained is strictly decided in the muxing stage, correct? Regardless of how an audio track (e.g., TrueHD) was extracted, the only way that the Dialnorm settings could have been modified is if I toggled "remove dialog normalization gain" under the audio properties section of MKVToolNix, correct?

(For the longest time, I had assumed that eac3to determined this during the extraction phase, but apparently I have been wrong...)
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2022, 01:49   #1793  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

You are correct. And yes, eac3to removes the Dialnorm by default.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2022, 09:43   #1794  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Question about Dialnorm:

Whether Dialnorm is modified/retained is strictly decided in the muxing stage, correct?
Removing it requires modification of each and every AC-3 packet. In the case of MKVToolNix it's therefore only possible to remove it during muxing, meaning you're correct.

Note that "removing dialnorm" is technically impossible. It's only possible to set the value used for dialog normalization to its minimum or maximum value, but you cannot remove it. However, mkvmerge uses established verbiage in order not to confuse users further that might know that functionality from tools such as eac3to.

Old 23rd December 2022, 20:04   #1795  |  Link
beto
Temet Nosce

Thank you for the tool. Is there a way to use it to extract streams and attachments from a MKV file using a GUI? I do not know if a GUI is provided in the bundle for this purpose. The GUI provided shows me only a multiplexer and not a demultiplexer.

Thanks.
Old 24th December 2022, 00:53   #1796  |  Link
NanoBot

Are you looking for a program like this:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170249
NanoBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2022, 22:49   #1797  |  Link
beto
Temet Nosce

Yes. That will do the trick. Thanks a lot.
Old 2nd January 2023, 08:08   #1798  |  Link
Perenista

The 1st file was saved as AVI. DVDRip, but with the wrong AR (1.90). I wanted to use MKVToolnix and save as MKV. Specifying the 16:9 AR (1.78).

It worked. But the audio is now out of sync.

Why?

AVI:

https://pastebin.com/bza6Gx2f

MKV:

https://pastebin.com/fGUvYjAp

Important: before using MKVToolnix I appended at the very end of CD-1 (AVI) the 2nd file (CD-2), resulting in a single AVI, saving with the option "direct stream copy" using VirtualDubMOD. I used to split into 2 CDs in the past, and joined both files that way.

If I play that single AVI it's OK and the audio isn't out of sync. MKVToolnix, however, causes that issue.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2023, 18:29   #1799  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I suggest you try it without appending the AVIs first. There are two possible ways:
  1. Simply use MKVToolNix GUI/mkvmerge to append the AVIs to a single Matroska file in a single go. Add the first AVI to the GUI's multiplexer, append the second one, go.
  2. Another possibility is to mux each AVI to a separate Matroska file first, and then append those two Matroska files to a combined, long Matroska file.

The background is that the AVI container simply doesn't provide timestamps for audio data. Therefore appending AVIs to other AVIs requires hackery, and it's quite possible that mkvmerge simply doesn't support some types of those tricks.

Old 2nd January 2023, 19:52   #1800  |  Link
Perenista

Oh-oh... I got this while trying to put the CD1.avi into MKV...

This audio track contains 146944 bytes of invalid data which were skipped before timestamp 00:36:42.352000000. The audio/video synchronization may have been lost.

I just checked the original AVI and indeed after 36m42s there's an abrupt cut in the video/audio, which seems to remove a portion of the content. Oddly this abrupt cut turns into the image freezing only for the MKV, for 1-2 seconds, then resumes from that. After that moment, the audio is out of sync in the CD1.mkv.

For example, at 46 minutes...

But here's something funny: this CD1.avi (affected with this issue) is not out of sync anywhere. I checked and it's OK into 46 minutes. I predict it will also remain unaffected if I append with CD2.avi using VDM.

MKVToolnix will not handle with the AVI due to this internal error, in other words the fact there is an error in there derails the whole thing as a result.

I am going to discard these old AVIs and create a new one from the disc...
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska